So... Anyone else hate USAS-12 users.

#1 Posted by Devil240Z (3250 posts) -

That had to be the cheapest gun ever put in videogames. It was awful in Socom and its awful in BF3, even worse with those ludicrous exploding rounds. They need to nerf that gun and make frag rounds useless. That crap ruins the game.

#2 Posted by hoossy (932 posts) -

someone had a bad online experience.... yeah, I would say that that needs to be altered. I think DICE has already come out saying that they will be making changes to it, and to the FAMAS.

#3 Posted by mano521 (1213 posts) -

i dont hate them. but i agree that its incredibly annoying. i believe everything in that game can be countered by another tactic, but USAS frag rounds are ridiculous.

#4 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

@mano521 said:

i dont hate them. but i agree that its incredibly annoying. i believe everything in that game can be countered by another tactic, but USAS frag rounds are ridiculous.

This and USAS users are easily disposed of.

#5 Posted by big_jon (5707 posts) -

I hate them, Famas users too.

#6 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

It's a shotgun, it is only useful in medium to short range, if they're more than 10m away from you you're going to win with any other weapon. It's balanced.

#7 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3048 posts) -

I watched my friend play BF3 about a week ago and all he did was run around with a shotgun, sometimes managing to snipe people from 100 yards away. It was insane.

#8 Posted by Devil240Z (3250 posts) -

@Vodun said:

It's a shotgun, it is only useful in medium to short range, if they're more than 10m away from you you're going to win with any other weapon. It's balanced.

Not with exploding rounds that explode on impact.

@hoossy said:

someone had a bad online experience.... yeah, I would say that that needs to be altered. I think DICE has already come out saying that they will be making changes to it, and to the FAMAS.

Pretty much every second of every round.

#9 Edited by jmrwacko (2444 posts) -

I feel like this is a bigger problem for console users than PC gamers, since console players generally have worse accuracy and the USAS-12 naturally has pellet spread, as well as a splash-damage frag round option. On PC, I see almost nobody use the USAS-12. Occasionally I'll be killed by an M320 dart or the 870 combat.

I always go with the PDW-R or UMP-45 over shotguns for short range scenarios because they're also useful for medium ranges. As much as you claim to be sniped from 100m away by shotguns, they're only useful with the buck or frag ammunition types at < 30m or so. Beyond that, you'll have to use the slug ammunition, which turns the shotgun into a gimped sniper rifle.

#10 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

On Operation Metro they are the worst. I'll be all the way across the station and get lit up by some bro using frag rounds. They definitely need to do something about it.

#11 Edited by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -

@jmrwacko said:

I feel like this is a bigger problem for console users than PC gamers, since console players generally have worse accuracy and the USAS-12 naturally has pellet spread, as well as a splash-damage frag round option. On PC, I see almost nobody use the USAS-12. Occasionally I'll be killed by an M320 dart or the 870 combat.

I always go with the PDW-R or UMP-45 over shotguns for short range scenarios because they're also useful for medium ranges. As much as you claim to be sniped from 100m away by shotguns, they're only useful with the buck or frag ammunition types at < 30m or so. Beyond that, you'll have to use the slug ammunition, which turns the shotgun into a gimped sniper rifle.

This is more inline with my own experience.

USAS is sometimes annoying but the amount of times I got killed by it is negligible.

#12 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

I don't notice em nearly as often as the DAO users in BF2 or the super assault rifle users in BC2 (don't remember the gun names), I'm cool with it personally.

#13 Posted by chan05 (318 posts) -

I always noticed that I got killed by the USAS from incredibly far range but I didn't understand how they do it...the explosive rounds explain it!

#14 Posted by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

It makes me sad that play styles like that are valid.

#15 Posted by finnith (21 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

I don't notice em nearly as often as the DAO users in BF2 or the super assault rifle users in BC2 (don't remember the gun names), I'm cool with it personally.

Bet you're thinking of the burst firing AN-94 Akaban

#16 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

It's instant death at close range, which is the point but on smaller maps like Metro when half the players switch to using it it becomes very frustrating. At medium and long range they never seem that great though.

#17 Posted by Funkydupe (3305 posts) -

I don't hate players shooting RPGs at infantry. I don't hate USAS-12 users either. These players are using the tools made available for them in order to kill the enemy. DICE needs to look at what makes and breaks their game. The lamest thing ever is to blame players for using certain weapons or using said weapons a certain way.

If you keep getting frustrated and annoyed because other people are killing you, change up your style, or change up your game!

#18 Posted by Ragnar (89 posts) -

I don't mind any of the shotguns. I look forward to unlocking the Jackhammer. I was actually really impressed by a dude who headshot me with an 870 with RDS and slug rounds from about 75 yards out. However, the USAS does ruin squad death match (Which is already kind of unfun in BF3). When 80% of an opposing team uses them it becomes ridiculous and impossible to win in smaller maps.

#19 Edited by Vman (19 posts) -

Usas users are only a problem in metro, anywhere else i headshot them before they can do enough damage. what IS annoying is that when they miss and they will, you will get mad suppressed and thus mis the first 10 rounds of your bursts.

#20 Posted by DrHawking (214 posts) -

I think its just the Frag rounds that need a nerf and not the USAS overall. I'll be much happier when the FAMAS gets brought down a notch.

#21 Posted by Sumbog (481 posts) -

I don't have a problem with them, every once and a while I get insta-killed and I'm like "Darn", but oh well.

But ya know, I'm just too good to get killed...

#22 Posted by AlexW00d (6167 posts) -

I think I only saw people use the USAS right when people were at the point when it was unlocked. I personally use the M1014 when I play rush and wanna get up in people's shit, it let's me down sometimes for reasons unknown, but it's mostly good.

#23 Posted by spartanlolz92 (511 posts) -

its not that bad besides ive never died from one of those guys unless it was close quarters

in my opinion they need to nerf the uav health that thing is so goddamn annoying

#24 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Reading this topic makes me want to invest in Battlefield 3 multiplayer, mainly because I am a shotgun fanatic.

#25 Posted by lead_farmer (1040 posts) -

smash them with a jet!!!!!

Yes, it is a pretty messed up gun, but I haven't found that every person on a squad will use it because there are better weapons available. I doubt DICE will deal with it anytime soon because they have been pretty slow to deal with any in-game balancing stuff.

Also, what is the issue people are having with the FAMAS? I used it a bit, but got bored because it didn't sound great (yes, I care about how the gun sounds). I honestly don't know whats up.

#26 Posted by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -

Just tried frag rounds today on the USAS... those things are fucking TERRIBLE. They do insignificant dammage compared to even just using an assault rifle or carbine. If you are dying to frag rounds you're the only one to blame.

Makes sense why no one on PC uses them.

USAS with standard buck rounds now is a monster, but only in short range. As it should be.

#27 Posted by 137 (481 posts) -

@mcderby4 said:

@mano521 said:

Only people who hate usas users play stupid ass 24/7 metro servers. They're totally ineffective in long range situations now and have been since the patch back in what november was it?

#28 Posted by Mahonay (828 posts) -

On the 360 for whatever reason it's wayyyyy overpowered. I get sniped with explosive shotgun rounds constantly. Maybe with slightly tighter maps? I dunno. Whatever it is, when there's a team abusing it, it's enough to make me want to just stop playing the game altogether. It's infuriating. They literally just spray and pray in your general direction.

#29 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

@137 said:

@mcderby4 said:

@mano521 said:

Only people who hate usas users play stupid ass 24/7 metro servers. They're totally ineffective in long range situations now and have been since the patch back in what november was it?

I personally despise Metro, so I avoid it at all costs regardless.

#30 Edited by ze_ro (181 posts) -

FAMAS is far more OP. I use it with holo and heavy barrell...it's excellent in short to medium distances thanks to it's high rate of fire, and It's super accurate, I can take on snipers at any range and win 9/10 times, it's ridiculous. PS3 here.

#31 Posted by damnboyadvance (4059 posts) -
@lead_farmer said:

Yes, it is a pretty messed up gun, but I haven't found that every person on a squad will use it because there are better weapons available. I doubt DICE will deal with it anytime soon because they have been pretty slow to deal with any in-game balancing stuff.

Also, what is the issue people are having with the FAMAS? I used it a bit, but got bored because it didn't sound great (yes, I care about how the gun sounds). I honestly don't know whats up.

The bullets do a lot of damage, yet the gun still has an incredibly high rate of fire. (900 shots a minute) I've also heard it's also way too accurate for an assault rifle
#32 Posted by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -

@damnboyadvance said:

@lead_farmer said:

The bullets do a lot of damage, yet the gun still has an incredibly high rate of fire. (900 shots a minute) I've also heard it's also way too accurate for an assault rifle

Famas does as much damage per bullet as every other assault rifle (bar the G3 which does more) it has 1000rpm, compared to closest other AEK-971 which has 900. But it has more recoil then AEK-971, except the first shot.

AN-94 actually has 1200rpm in burst fire mode and less recoil, making it better then Famas.

http://symthic.com/?s=bf3&sb=dmgchart

#33 Posted by seannao (223 posts) -

I haven't used this weapon yet, but I think it lacks the flexibility of a good old assault rifle, even when it used FRAG rounds. In long range battles, it can lack the overall precision necessary to knock down a cool-headed fella with a rifle scope and an AR, but in a one on one fight in medium-ish range and closer, the USAS is a panic-inducing beast.

Again: I've only been on the receiving end of the weapon and I can understand the hate it gets very well when you see the fat tracer it spits out make contact and more often than not 1-hit-kill you. So that's ultra-lame but I appreciate the realism given to the idea of a self-contained package retaining its damage over extreme range. I think the best way to balance it would be to severely increase the 'spread per shot' so that full-auto fire at extreme range is uselessly inaccurate.

#34 Posted by bwmcmaste (837 posts) -

@Funkydupe said:

I don't hate players shooting RPGs at infantry. I don't hate USAS-12 users either. These players are using the tools made available for them in order to kill the enemy. DICE needs to look at what makes and breaks their game. The lamest thing ever is to blame players for using certain weapons or using said weapons a certain way.

If you keep getting frustrated and annoyed because other people are killing you, change up your style, or change up your game!

Troth.

However, I must mention that I have a strong disdain for the range on these weapons. I have been killed at distances exceeding medium range by a couple of USAS frag rounds. I would greatly appreciate a reduction on the range of the frag rounds, but I don't resent people for using them.

#35 Posted by damnboyadvance (4059 posts) -
@Tennmuerti said:

@damnboyadvance said:

@lead_farmer said:

The bullets do a lot of damage, yet the gun still has an incredibly high rate of fire. (900 shots a minute) I've also heard it's also way too accurate for an assault rifle

Famas does as much damage per bullet as every other assault rifle (bar the G3 which does more) it has 1000rpm, compared to closest other AEK-971 which has 900. But it has more recoil then AEK-971, except the first shot.

AN-94 actually has 1200rpm in burst fire mode and less recoil, making it better then Famas.

http://symthic.com/?s=bf3&sb=dmgchart

Well I learned something today. I had no idea that the weapons fired faster in burst fire mode. 

Personally, I don't have a problem with the FAMAS. I don't find it that much better than any other weapon. But it's still going to be nerfed in the next update, whenever that happens.
#36 Edited by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -

@bwmcmaste said:

@Funkydupe said:

Troth.

However, I must mention that I have a strong disdain for the range on these weapons. I have been killed at distances exceeding medium range by a couple of USAS frag rounds. I would greatly appreciate a reduction on the range of the frag rounds, but I don't resent people for using them.

USAS frags can't 2 shot you unless they are both direct headshots, or practically point blank. So if you're getting 2 shotted by a USAS frag round at range they were either both headshots or you were already damaged. (refer to above chart)

Anyone who can put 2 headshots into you with USAS's 275rpm and recoil can do the same with almost any other weapon even easier/faster.

@seannao said:

Again: I've only been on the receiving end of the weapon and I can understand the hate it gets very well when you see the fat tracer it spits out make contact and more often than not 1-hit-kill you.

The only 1 hit kill with a USAS frag round is a headshot under 8 meters. At that point its easier to shoot you with any shotgun to the body for a 1 hit kill.

#37 Edited by Ocean_H (290 posts) -

I'm getting pounded by those fuckers. But I'm not caving into "fight fire with fire".

#38 Posted by Grillbar (1792 posts) -

@Devil240Z said:

That had to be the cheapest gun ever put in videogames. It was awful in Socom and its awful in BF3, even worse with those ludicrous exploding rounds. They need to nerf that gun and make frag rounds useless. That crap ruins the game.

well depends on the map

the m320 is really annoying but overall i dont care i just hate hackers (yes i play on the pc) thats why my quits are at 8% its just not fun to get 1 hit killed right as you spawn by a guy at the other end of the map. and i hate that they only wipe the stats of the people.

#39 Posted by Brando (9 posts) -

The problem with USAS is that it seems to defy the 'rule of shotguns' in first person shooters to date. For generations hearkening back to the Doom II "super shotgun" one could kill with a single blast at close range. But at long or even medium distance a shotgun was pretty useless, and that's been the rule in shooters for years. However, in BF3 I've been sniped by a USAS from some serious distance -- like a second floor balcony overlooking the A flag on Metro (PS3). That's way, way too far for a shotgun to kill.

I know players should get some reward for reaching the higher levels, but this seems to be going too far. That thing makes for automatic kills in Metro, and I think it can ruin the experience for anyone not level 43 or above.

I do see this gun used quite a bit on PS3 but mostly on Metro and Seine Crossing. Pretty rare in medium-sized maps like Tehran and Noshar.

#40 Posted by awesomeusername (4152 posts) -

I hate the USAS. I also hate the assholes who use flashlights on shotguns IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FUCKING DAY. Why the fuck aren't the flashlights fixed yet???

#41 Posted by Ocean_H (290 posts) -

Stumbled into a match where 3/4 were using it. Grenade launchers, I understand, but I got absolutely no respect to whoever has lots of kills with the USAS-12 & Frag ammo if I ever see their stats.

#42 Posted by wardcleaver (172 posts) -

I do not have an issue with people using the USAS. I guess I have a slight issue with people on my team using it on some of the more open maps, particullarly the Back to Karkand maps, as the effective range is limited.

I think the USAS, and shotguns in general, are best for Metro. Their limited range makes them less effective for most of the other maps. But even on Metro, it comes down to the user. I have seen some players use the USAS very effectively, and some that could not. I do not think it is the "win" button that people make it out to be.

I have used the SAIGA on Metro, but still prefer the SAWs for killing the other team as they try to take flags in CQ / arm M-COMS in Rush.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.