Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

so battlefield 3 looks like great tech wasted

goatsoap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By goatsoap

i was playing with youtube doubler after watching this vid going around on r/gaming today

i was hyped when this game was announced but now its falling way back down to just plain modern military genericism, fighting generorrists in generistan as generica

i hope they show something unique with this game that will maybe stem this feeling of them just wasting great tech on horribly boring design (the crysis syndrome) ;-;

Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Sarkhan

Wasted? what do you want? Fur in your face? some gentle jerk in you pants while playing? Or just blow you away while YOU!!!! think about games that have been?

goatsoap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By goatsoap
    @Vortexus1981
    i want something new, like what bf2 did for games at the time, this just looks like bc2:2 D:
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Coombs
    @Vortexus1981 said:
    Wasted? what do you want? Fur in your face? some gentle jerk in you pants while playing? Or just blow you away while YOU!!!! think about games that have been?  

I would buy that game
    Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sarkhan
    @Coombs said:

@Vortexus1981 said:

I would buy that game
    So would i. so, back to the thing then.... ;)
    QKT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By QKT

er, the ea guy in the GT interview said we will definitely see mirror's edge in some way in the frostbite 2 engine. 

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dungbootle
    @russythefox said:
    @Vortexus1981: i want something new, like what bf2 did for games at the time, this just looks like bc2:2 D:
    Wouldn't that be BC3?
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @russythefox:   
    Before i engage in a discussion with you, I need to know whether what you want IS a shooter, but more innovative and cash-worthy than what BF3 is looking to be, or whether you want this new tech used on other genres since "shooters suck". 
    So which one is it? 
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Jayross

You can't "waste" tech, so what are you talking about?

goatsoap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By goatsoap

@Ahmad_Metallic: not a new game, just something new to the game, rather than just swapping weapons into different classes :[ (which too me is honestly the most interesting thing they have announced), maybe like some more depth to the game, building mechanics coming back (like artillery and comm stations) , a new revamped commander mode, maybe some new modes like a graw style enemy hunt mode ... right now its just looking like bc2 with better paint and jets D:

edit: or maybe shifting/tiered objectives in certain modes, like lets say you drop into a map and have to cap a control point, then you get that as a spawn point to then go and destroy some m-com stations (ala rush) and maybe have to capture some intel or something after that, or map specific like blow up a dam to allow progress to further parts of the mission

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ryanwho

I want a Rampage game built in the Battlefield engine.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By PhatSeeJay

You saw a tiny pre-alpha 8v8 rush level with the sole purpose to show the engine, lighting and the feel of the combat. Maybe you should wait till they've announced what multiplayer features will be in or not before you go call "waste" and "BC2"?

Guess what. A lot of stuff happens between pre-alpha and gold.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Venatio

I wanna see a Mirror's Edge 2 with that amazing engine

macot79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By macot79

Don't judge a game before it comes out. We've only seen a couple of trailers and some minor gameplay. Maybe it will be just another military shooter but hey, I haven't played it yet! I've been shooting stuff in fps games since the original Doom and I am still not tired of it...

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By davidwitten22

Did you know that games that involve guns, tanks, and planes often have explosions in them? 

Someone told me that one time. I don't really believe them.

goatsoap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By goatsoap
    @PhatSeeJay
    i said that i hope they do announce something else, theyve only showed that of course, but have already announced the modes and showed most of the basic structure of the multi so far in that one little demo and a few of q and a's they did for old media
    jetjetwilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jetjetwilly
    @russythefox: so did they release all the game types and modes in the finished game. or is this just a knee jerk reaction based on very little info
    goatsoap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By goatsoap
    @jetjetwilly: they already announced them though, rush, conquest, and team deathmatch.... what im saying is i hope they have something else to show, like onslaught which was my most enjoyable moments in bc2... it would be great to see something like that or something ala ghost recon thunt show up as a mode or something...
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By PhatSeeJay

@russythefox: Actually, they have not announced any final list of the modes and what the structure of team play will be. What we saw at E3 only showed us how the classes worked and that you can be in a squad. That's it. All we've heard are snippets of info that have gone from rumors to confirmed rumors.

Pretty sure one of the producers even said in an interview that they have a lot more in store for the game modes, beyond team deathmatch, rush and conquest.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @russythefox said:

@Ahmad_Metallic: not a new game, just something new to the game, rather than just swapping weapons into different classes :[ (which too me is honestly the most interesting thing they have announced), maybe like some more depth to the game, building mechanics coming back (like artillery and comm stations) , a new revamped commander mode, maybe some new modes like a graw style enemy hunt mode ... right now its just looking like bc2 with better paint and jets D:

edit: or maybe shifting/tiered objectives in certain modes, like lets say you drop into a map and have to cap a control point, then you get that as a spawn point to then go and destroy some m-com stations (ala rush) and maybe have to capture some intel or something after that, or map specific like blow up a dam to allow progress to further parts of the mission

So the point you're trying to make is that Battlefield 3 needs new innovative ways to build on Battlefield 2, rather than be a BF2/BC2 hybrid with the same basic features/system ? 

Well, i wouldn't say the tech was "wasted" on BF3... it's the first main-line Battlefield game in six years, you can't expect it to have such massive and radical changes. 
    But you can expect several new ideas and expansive gameplay mechanics in the upcoming Battlefield games on the Frostbite 2 engine, like Battlefield 2143 and whatever else DICE decide to create. 

Also, the FB2 engine is already being used for an NFS game, and Mirror's Edge 2 is being built on it. So it's not being wasted, trust me
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Marz
    @ryanwho said:
    That's an idea :)
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Brendan

There has been an incredible amount of judging the fuck out of games/systems/anything on this site based on very little information for the past few weeks.

goatsoap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By goatsoap
    @Ahmad_Metallic

it being soooooo far away is what is worrying me most of all about it, they should be doing something huge to come back rather than just put a coat of paint on bc2; when do we expect these major changes to happen? with a ton of series they never really change it up because they are so close together (like assassins creed 2 and brotherhood) with something, and with nearly 6 years away id expect them to go all out on it by putting as much into it as possible considering they did the same thing come bf2 after 1942 after a few years

pieman32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By pieman32

Yes, well not every aspect of the game has been announced, so chill the fuck out .

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By salad10203

Yawn, have you played it?  I admit Crysis 2 was disappointing, but I didn't know it until I had played it.  This whole thread is just another case of internet cynicism.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Coombs
    @Hellstrom said:
    @Coombs said:
    @Vortexus1981 said:
     I would buy that game
    You a furry bro?
    Only every other sunday
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @russythefox said:
    @Ahmad_Metallic

it being soooooo far away is what is worrying me most of all about it, they should be doing something huge to come back rather than just put a coat of paint on bc2; when do we expect these major changes to happen? with a ton of series they never really change it up because they are so close together (like assassins creed 2 and brotherhood) with something, and with nearly 6 years away id expect them to go all out on it by putting as much into it as possible considering they did the same thing come bf2 after 1942 after a few years

Battlefield 3 in not a "paint coated" Bad Company 2.. get your info straight, bro. 

Also, don't expect big changes from a new game in a popular long-time running competitive multiplayer franchise. This isn't an adventure game, or a new innovative RPG, it's a life style to most of its fans.. big changes in such a game would alienate people. 
    The changes we've seen, along with all the stuff to come, is exactly what this game needs. nothing more, nothing less, IMO. 

Check this thread out to see real ass changes: http://www.giantbomb.com/battlefield-3/61-27006/forums/
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By big_jon

Threads like this make me laugh, BF3 is a modern military shooter, that's what it is. What are they to do so differently other than polish it? Would you rather they make it into some limbo clone or something? It's a fucking FPS set in modern times, and a polished, well made one at that. Do you expect the next Braid or something?

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Red
    @Jayross said:
    You can't "waste" tech, so what are you talking about?
    Yeah, unless DICE decides to blow the whole company and all its tech up the moment the game is released, it's not like the tech is wasted. I mean, the Unreal Engine has been used on some pretty crappy games, but does that make Gears of War look like a bad game?
    PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Why would you not want a shooter to be like a Michael Bay film?
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By Vinny_Says

I want people to wait for games to come out before calling them 2.5 versions of their prequels or shitting all over them.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DonPixel

@russythefox: ROFL actually that video sumps up pretty well the whole Modern Shooter "Ideas" going on.

I still might get BF3 thou.

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By GuyIncognito

Yeah, they should add chainsaws and flamethrowers...and sharks that shoot lasers out of their freakin eyes.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BestUsernameEver

I agree, there needs to be a frostbite 2 game that doesn't involve a random war. Military games are some of the most pointless, stale genres that exist today, of course, to me. 

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By GuyIncognito
    @BestUsernameEver said:

I agree, there needs to be a frostbite 2 game that doesn't involve a random war. Military games are some of the most pointless, stale genres that exist today, of course, to me. 

How about a kart game? ...but with destructible environments?
    Avatar image for metalgeargeorge
    MetalGearGeorge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MetalGearGeorge

Whoever compares a Battlefield game to a Michael Bay film clearly has no idea about BF. Also this game hasn't even come out yet so let's just relax and wait to play the fucking game first and bash it later.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By frankxiv
    @ryanwho said:
    oh my god
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Subjugation
    @Venatio said:
    I wanna see a Mirror's Edge 2 with that amazing engine
    I would cream my pants.
    beeftothetaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By beeftothetaco

You don't buy a Battlefield game for it's singleplayer mode.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jimbo

Depends if the campaign ever gets more ambitious than just being another guided tour down the war funnel (which it won't).

If they figure out how to make suppressive fire effective in multiplayer, then that will be a pretty significant step forward for the genre imo. You can't really simulate combat without it.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Th3_James

IDK, personally I really like bf2 gameplay and hope that bf3 brings some of the feeling back along with new shit. I trust dice to make something kick ass.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.