So, how is this game on consoles?

#1 Posted by stoydell (58 posts) -

I was just wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to how well the game plays and looks on consoles, preferably 360. I ask because I'm not sure if my PC would be able to run it as well as I would want this game to, and I might try to rent the 360 version.

#2 Posted by mikey87144 (1807 posts) -

If you have a 360 with a HDD it's one of the best looking games to come out on the console. In terms of how it plays, it plays fantastic. The maps are all great, except for Metro on Rush mode, the destruction is toned down from BC2 but is still an important strategy in the game.

#3 Posted by REIGN (252 posts) -

@mikey87144 said:

If you have a 360 with a HDD it's one of the best looking games to come out on the console. In terms of how it plays, it plays fantastic. The maps are all great, except for Metro on Rush mode, the destruction is toned down from BC2 but is still an important strategy in the game.

One of the best looking games on the console? o_O

#4 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -

To me, it looks and plays similarly to Bad Company 2 on consoles.

#5 Posted by natetodamax (19220 posts) -

It's awesome. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

#6 Posted by r2khimself (29 posts) -

It's the most fun I've had playing an FPS on console since Halo 2.

#7 Posted by stoydell (58 posts) -

@natetodamax: I haven't heard that it's terrible or anything, but I was just wondering if this was finally the time that I should upgrade my rig a little bit.

But thanks for the comments, I'll rent it on 360 and buy it sometime after the torrent of games over the next couple weeks.

#8 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@stoydell said:

I was just wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to how well the game plays and looks on consoles, preferably 360. I ask because I'm not sure if my PC would be able to run it as well as I would want this game to, and I might try to rent the 360 version.

PC version on low is still better looking, so if low settings are your only option you're still better off.

Plus you'd be surprised how well the game scales, I didn't expect to playing the game super smooth on ultra at 1080P with a graphics card that is now a year old. I turned HBAO down to SSAO because the performance hit isn't worth the unnoticeable effect it adds. (well, it's noticeable if you zoom in and look at side by side screenshots, lol)

#9 Posted by GS_Dan (1397 posts) -

@Sooty: For how good it looks the PC version isn't actually that demanding.

#10 Posted by poisonmonkey (375 posts) -

Hi, not sure what region you are in but I have it on 360 in the UK and the servers are a bit shit at the moment, it takes a quick match about three or four attempts to connect to match but his may be a localised issue with the UK, however when you do get into a match it is best in class, by far the most fun in a multiplayer game yet, I just wish my PC could run it to have more players but after a patch or two the 360 version (and ps3 verson I would think) should be great, just don't let any server issued get you down. Good luck mate, see you on the battlefield.

#11 Posted by ABritishNerd (318 posts) -

It's great on PS3 in the UK, got it a day early and the servers were still great for me (and full of Americans).

#12 Posted by rbanke (191 posts) -

I'll be the dissenting opinion. I picked this up for the PS3. I have to say I don't understand how people are saying it looks great. It looks like a sub-30fps blurry mess. The guns are kinda fun, but after playing for a few hours, I noticed that all the conquest matches were the same. Id go to an objective and almost every time there would be no one there, take it over, then move on to the next. Meanwhile the first one I took was now retaken, so it was a never ending repeating cycle. In several hours of playing I barely ever actually saw enemies at objectives. Played a bit of rush mode and didn't care for that either. Dunno, I guess it's just not for me. I ended up listing it on Ebay. From a technical standpoint alone, If you dont mind low fps, and poor image quality, it was mostly fine otherwise. No problems getting into matches but I did get some lag here and there.

#13 Posted by Mars (310 posts) -

@stoydell said:

@natetodamax: I haven't heard that it's terrible or anything, but I was just wondering if this was finally the time that I should upgrade my rig a little bit.

But thanks for the comments, I'll rent it on 360 and buy it sometime after the torrent of games over the next couple weeks.

Just an FYI ... if you rent it, you won't be able to play multiplayer. You MUST have the online pass to play online ... just figured this out yesterday myself. Its bullshit.

#14 Posted by stoydell (58 posts) -

@Mars: Shit, I completely forgot about that. I probably should've played a bit of the beta, come to think of it...

#15 Posted by RoyCampbell (1096 posts) -
@stoydell said:

@Mars: Shit, I completely forgot about that. I probably should've played a bit of the beta, come to think of it...

$10 nets you the pass; getting a brand new copy is not the only way to get into the multiplayer.

I'm renting BF3 now. $10 instead of $60 seems like a good deal.
#16 Posted by ze_ro (181 posts) -

@rbanke said:

I'll be the dissenting opinion. I picked this up for the PS3. I have to say I don't understand how people are saying it looks great. It looks like a sub-30fps blurry mess.

This. I was extremely put off how it looks on PS3, I dunno about BC2 since I didn't play that on consoles. Also I have to say I felt the controls were awkward, felt similar to killzone, which made it unplayable to me. I think in multiplayer I would be the only one using the regular controller anyways.

#17 Posted by Kazona (3097 posts) -

Even though I'm sure it's fine on consoles, I just want to play it on the PC so badly. But sadly I'm still rocking an old 8800GTS, which I'm sure is nowhere near sufficient to run this game properly.

#18 Posted by lmenzol (270 posts) -

@stoydell: @mikey87144 said:

this

#19 Posted by McBaines (5 posts) -

Its good but taking abit of getting used to for me, the matchmaking seems abit odd at first was finding myself in matches with guys level 20 and above so was just getting my ass kicked. Becoming less of an issue now though, one thing that needs fixing is spawn points. Every time i spawn it seems like theres someone waiting to kill me or in a few cases ive had enemies spawn in the same spot as id just spawned so i was just getting shot in the back.

#20 Posted by Mr402 (144 posts) -

If you enjoyed BFBC2 on consoles you will enjoy this. That being said do not expect this to be the game changer that everyone was hoping for. It's a solid yet limited Battlefield experience. Even after a day one patch this game still has multiple issues that need to be resolved. I would say honestly that your not missing anything if you wait for a patch or two and a price drop.

#21 Posted by Edin899 (629 posts) -

@REIGN said:

@mikey87144 said:

One of the best looking games on the console? o_O

I really doubt if people like you played the game.

If you did and still don´t believe that this game looks amazing then you are blind.

The textures are great, the effects are beautiful. The animations are so smooth.

I love this game and the graphics add something to the experience.

The way the sun shines over a hillside. The way tanks explode .

Has to be the best looking game on the xbox 360.

#22 Posted by thechronodarkness (294 posts) -

This is just from playing the ps3 version in singlep layer all the way through. Rented it through redbox, and....well, comparing to the pc version, you'll be happy.

Graphically, think crysis 2 on 360 without the grain glitch and a better framerate. The sound is as amazing as crysis 2, if not better on some levels. The ps3 install is only alittle over 2 gigs as well.

For the bad- THE SINGLE PLAYER IS BUGGY AS HELL! Half of the time, the QTE's don't work. I've ran through buildings, and couldn't escape. If I'm going to slit a guys throat, I'm going to walk all the way up to him, and do it. In the mission night shift, theres a part to where you have to do said action. Well...if you get within 2 feet of him, you instantly die. I mean, just fall over. You didn't get shot, or killed. You just fall over dead. This happens ALOT! No one will be shooting or anything, and you'll just fall over dead.

On the 3rd mission, your crawling around and come across a rat on a QTE. Well, first 2 times doing that, after you hit the button for the QTE, blackburn will just turn over in the pipe and die. Seriously. This game was rushed. Considering the console discs were not even being pressed until last week, I can believe it.

#23 Posted by Mars (310 posts) -

@RoyCampbell said:

@stoydell said:

$10 nets you the pass; getting a brand new copy is not the only way to get into the multiplayer. I'm renting BF3 now. $10 instead of $60 seems like a good deal.

$10 is absolutely better than $60 if you know you only want to rent. I, however, rented because I was hoping to enjoy it enough to justify a purchase. This is a disservice to the fans and potential customers.

#24 Posted by SpudBug (633 posts) -

Yeah it's not perfect, but it's easily top 10 best looking console games of the generation material.

I actually think the maps are pretty well scaled for 24 players. I couldn't imagine having 64 players running around on some of these, like siene crossing. 24 feels right, maybe the maps are bigger on PC but I wouldn't know.

I think the game is a blast and some of the launch network issues suck but they'll clear up.

My only main complaint is that the sound sometimes just cuts out without any reason. No explosions or anything going on, just an odd sound stutter.And the campaign is kinda meh no matter how you play it.

#25 Posted by ki11tank (683 posts) -

compared to other 360 games this looks fantastic, character animations are bar none, smooth MP launch as well.

#26 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@rbanke: That's because conquest maps are huge and designed for 64 players. 32 on a console is bound to feel quiet.
#27 Posted by natetodamax (19220 posts) -

@slacker4life said:

compared to other 360 games this looks fantastic, character animations are bar none, smooth MP launch as well.

The launch of the game was anything but smooth. The matchmaking is a little better now but for the first few days... christ, it was bad!

#28 Posted by ki11tank (683 posts) -

@natetodamax said:

@slacker4life said:

The launch of the game was anything but smooth. The matchmaking is a little better now but for the first few days... christ, it was bad!

I haven't had a single MP issue with 5-6 hours of online play via 360, maybe I got lucky. Hell I even played a few games on day one without a hiccup.

#29 Posted by mlarrabee (3064 posts) -

I'm not much of a Battlefield series buff, so I can't speak much for the gameplay, but the graphics are varied. Textures are essentially Modern Warfare 2 quality, and animation seamless-stitching is on par as well, explosions are a bit less impressive than in Crysis 2 (which is still high praise), and the lighting effects are breathtaking.

What little I will say about gameplay is that it seems fairly similar to the Bad Company 2 I have played. I have had several connection issues, but I would still eagerly recommend it. I'd probably do as Mr402 suggests and wait a bit for a price drop and a few title updates. It's kind of a Fallout: NV situation.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.