Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

The changes you've most noticed, and how you have adapted

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hoossy

So I hadn't played BF3 for awhile (was working on ME3 and watching Fraiser on Netflix), so now the patch is out....

up is down, black is white, red is... pinkish.

So I'm curious, What are the major changes that have truly effected your gameplay and what have you done to compensate?

No Caption Provided

I ask this not for people to bitch about what they hate now, but for a resource guide so that as I (and others) get back into the game, and I can utilize some tried and true testimonials from some fine GiantBombers.

-------------------------------------

I'd love to hear how you all have adapted to the guns, especially the carbines. I was, like many, a silencer/grip person for many matches, and shamelessly used the FAMAS from time to time.

How do you all feel about the grip now? Worth it at all? I heard that maybe it would be better to use the flash suppressor instead of the silencer for good all around gameplay.

What about the smgs? etc? Vehicle use and ammo types? Etc etc...

------------------------------------

No Caption Provided

Thanks guys and gals, Good Luck and Have Batman!

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    Nice thread. 

@hoossy said:

What are the major changes that have truly effected your gameplay and what have you done to compensate?!

1. The tanks were turned into paper boxes, so I don't use them anymore. 
    2. I try new guns and attachment combinations all the time, so no problem here. 
    3. Commo rose will never be fixed, RIP team communications. 
    4. Suppression....... ehhh, I don't even know what to do to counter this.
    wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By wardcleaver

It seems that shooting guns, any gun, on full-auto is less accurate than before. I find myself switching to semi-auto on assualt rifles more than I did before, as it seems to be more effective for even mid and close range encounters.

For LMGs, even with a foregrip, the accuracy seems to have diminished considerably. Admittedly, I have not tried all of the LMGs, but the 240 post-patch seems to only have a real chance of killing on a consistent basis with a bi-pod attachement. However, without a bi-pod, LMGs are still good suppression weapons, even more so now that the suppression effect seems to have been increased.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mikemcn

Horn isn't loud enough, fuck Battlefield 3.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @AhmadMetallic
    Nice thread. 

@hoossy said:

What are the major changes that have truly effected your gameplay and what have you done to compensate?!

Was this from the 1.4 patch? I haven't played in awhile either but I loved how menacing tanks were. That is a huge shame if they go down in a few shots
    Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

I adapted by not playing the game, I did enjoy them finally bringing back vehicle sensitivity though. I never used the grip, wasn't really needed since the recoil was so easy to control.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Canteu

Replaced the Foregrip with the Bipod on everything that isn't an SMG/PDW/Carbine. That aimed accuracy penalty is a killer.

Replaced supressor with flash supressor on a lot of guns. Mostly the MG's. Fucking laser beam death machines.

L85 rocking with 4x (no change there) Bipod (just so I don't have foregrip) and Heavy Barrel. This thing was already too accurate pre patch. Now it feels like I'm playing BC2 (a good thing)

Stopped trying to attack jets with stingers. It's a pointless waste of time now.

Basically, it has gone from taking Foregrip+Suppressor on every gun, to Bipod+Flash Suppressor. This is the new combo.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By mosdl

You have to play more conservative with tanks, which is a good thing. Had some good tank runs yesterday.

Suppression feels fine, ramboing is never a good choice.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
    deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@mosdl said:

You have to play more conservative with tanks, which is a good thing. Had some good tank runs yesterday.

Agreed. Tanks were never supposed to be gods of the battlefield. They're potent as hell with some infantry support, and can lay horrible waste to everything and everyone if played properly. 4 people hammering away at a tank with rpg's and it just standing there and taking it didn't make any damn sense.

Still got myself LMG's, glad for the supressive effect as I like to play a supportive role in that regard. Holographic sights for quick, burst or point shooting at medium to long distances before getting that bipod up and simply overwhelming the opponent feels damn good.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Asrahn said:

@mosdl said:

Agreed. Tanks were never supposed to be gods of the battlefield. They're potent as hell with some infantry support, and can lay horrible waste to everything and everyone if played properly. 4 people hammering away at a tank with rpg's and it just standing there and taking it didn't make any damn sense.

Still got myself LMG's, glad for the supressive effect as I like to play a supportive role in that regard. Holographic sights for quick, burst or point shooting at medium to long distances before getting that bipod up and simply overwhelming the opponent feels damn good.

Tanks were never gods of the battlefield in the first place.
    Pre patch 2 dudes shooting a tank stood a decent chance.
    Against a tank with constant repair, 3 dudes were enough. Or a single Heli. Or an air to ground plane. Or soflam + javelin.
    Tanks are supposed to be force multipliers, just like helicopters and Jets are.

Currently tanks are balanced agaisnt a single engineer enemy. They are coffins against 2 engineers or a single air unit.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Tennmuerti

At first I adopted by using LMGs on infantry heavy maps. Holding down the fire button and getting hundreds and thousadnds of points was fun for a while.
    Then it got boring.

Tanks are still fun against bad teams.
    But as soon as I notice a single good air pilot on the enemy team, i don't get into tanks anymore.
    But moslty stopped using tanks.

Liked getting into a Heli as a gunner and dominating the enemy team.
    Against a semi decent heli pilot there is no ground to air answer you only fear are good jet pilots. 

Watched my little brother dominte enemy armor  in a jet and baserape for a while while he was on holliday.

Disliked the patch so stopped playing.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xMP44x

The only major change I've noticed is with suppression. The others are mostly a non-issue since I play Team Deathmatch almost exclusively. Suppression is good and all but it's been cranked up to eleven and is almost impossible to combat now. There's not really any point to fighting once you're fully suppressed. You may as well just lie down and wait until you're allowed to be effective again. I really don't like that change. Granted, suppression needed to be refined and improved but now it's at comedy levels. I've tried to adapt, but my method has basically been to stand further away and hope people are blind. Accurate rifles like the AN-94 can hold their own until the other guy just uses his gun as a bullet hose, in which case you're done.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hoossy

@Canteu said:

Basically, it has gone from taking Foregrip+Suppressor on every gun, to Bipod+Flash Suppressor. This is the new combo.

So everyone is going prone now? That seems so counterintuitive to what DICE was trying to accomplish... I thought this patch was supposed to speed up gameplay, not slow it down. That's a major bummer, I always thought a lot of prone firing was kinda cheap.

@AhmadMetallic said:

I try new guns and attachment combinations all the time, so no problem here.

I'd like to hear what guns are working for ya.

@xMP44x:

What does suppression do besides blur your screen? Does it decrease your weapon's accuracy as well?

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xMP44x
    @hoossy said:

What does suppression do besides blur your screen? Does it decrease your weapon's accuracy as well?

Yeah, it decreases your accuracy as well. When you're fully suppressed it's the equivalent of turning hitboxes off. You can't really kill anyone. I found a video a few days ago but can't find it since, of someone at point blank range being shot three times with the 870. The 870 user was suppressed, and they didn't get a single hitmarker on their target.
    Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Canteu

@hoossy said:

So everyone is going prone now?

No. The foregrip has an aimed accuracy penatly, and it is quite severe.

All it does is lower your horizontal recoil a little bit.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AlexW00d

The suppression kind of fucks shit up, but it's not really affected me too much. Tanks are finally a bit less bullshit, being able to take 5 rpgs and still be alive was bollocks, now it's about 3, 4 if all front shots.

People still just run around with their derp guns (LMGs with suppressor and extended mag) so it's all 200 shot assault rifles, with the same range as assault rifles. They are cheap as fuck and I still don't use them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if I've really adapted. My Time-to-Death can still be measured in seconds.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Subjugation

Stingers feel completely useless now. They take a lot longer to lock on, are finicky about locking on at all in my experience, and have reduced range. Trying to act as AA infantry just gets me killed.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Canteu

@Subjugation: That delay before you start to lock on, is actually the pilot having the stealth loadout. This is how it works now, and since every pilot takes stealth it's pretty much impossible to take down jets with a stinger (choppers are somewhat easier since they're slower and in range longer). I feel the range has been reduced too much to make it ever worth taking a stinger.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#20  Edited By natetodamax

@Canteu said:

@hoossy said:

So everyone is going prone now?

No. The foregrip has an aimed accuracy penatly, and it is quite severe.

It does? I don't remember seeing that in the description for the attachment. I've used the Foregrip with everything but now that you mention it, I do remember my shots going wildly off course while aiming (even in burst fire). I guess I didn't pay much attention to it.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hoossy

@Voxel: @Canteu:

This guys analysis of when to use the foregrip was very helpful with me, and he has other videos on youtube that do a very good review of different weapon combos. I highly recommend watching.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Sackmanjones said:
    @AhmadMetallic
    Nice thread. 

@hoossy said:

Was this from the 1.4 patch? I haven't played in awhile either but I loved how menacing tanks were. That is a huge shame if they go down in a few shots
    Started a Karkand round, hopped in the russian BTR, drove over to B, got hit from the side from a guy who is standing at D, one javelin shot without a beep or a warning, I had REACTIVE ARMOR on, boom, 36% HP, BTR disabled and on fire. 
    Alt + F4.
    intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By intro

Some guns I used now do less damage and kick more.

Solution: I quit using them and use the guns that are better in every way.

jasonefmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jasonefmonk

@Subjugation said:

Stingers feel completely useless now. They take a lot longer to lock on, are finicky about locking on at all in my experience, and have reduced range. Trying to act as AA infantry just gets me killed.

I still love the Javelin, but recently just getting the swing of free-fire RPGs. A lot of helicopter pilots capturing flags or just flying slow that you can one-hit. I've gotten a jet on a flyby too.

I've also switched to flash suppressors, but I like trying out new gear/play-styles to keep in interesting.

Duminakan89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By Duminakan89

I'll have to agree with everyone on the shooting down the sights; burst fire is now a must and a more conservative approach makes things easier. If all else fails assume fetal position.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.