Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

The Frightenting Future

VictoryBlixt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By VictoryBlixt

Battlefield 1942 was my first foray into online gaming and ever since then I have loved the Battlefield series and the unique style of gameplay it possessed. Battlefield 3 is now on the horizon and it is being positioned as a COD killer and it's release date has intentionally been placed to compete with the COD directly. This makes me very uncertain of the future...

Battlefield has always been about complex gameplay with a steep learning curve (at least compared to it's competition) and the to appeal to the mass market a learning curve has to go. If they don't eliminate the learning curve and the game does achieve critical mass then the multiplayer will be filled with people who don't play the game for the objectives and instead play for  "KD". Also a somewhat petty complaint but the graphics of this game are great but they will also cause a lot of people to just buy the game because it's shiny and again just mess around in the multiplayer.  If this game becomes extremely popular on the level of  COD then the community and the game will be filled with people just playing the shiniest thing and bragging about their super high KDs and how fantastic they are at the game because they're 3:1 regardless of the fact that most games they sit in the base as their team loses.

Battlefield has always been complex and that has always caused it to fall short of mainstream acceptance and so for it to achieve it's COD killer status it will have to lose this complexity and so when this game is released and it is indeed simplified then I'm sure it will be filled with people saying how much better the game is and how the other games were to hard but they like this one.

I'd be happy to eat my words, I really would

*Edit* I'd like to clarify that have no problem with COD like games and people who like those games. I'm sure there'd be tons of people upset if COD became a milsim

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By FourWude

Yeah, the fictional future is really frightening....

I too worry about the fictional educatiion systems that the fictional children in our fictional games will be getting. I mean how are they going to fictionally grow up and fight the fictional bad guys, meta-fictionally speaking??

Repeat after me. It's just a game.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By EuanDewar
    @VictoryBlixt said:

" and again just mess around in the multiplayer."

I look forward to pissing you off by repeatedly crashing my Jet into the enemy base.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ajamafalous
    @FourWude said:
    " It's just a game. "
    Video game websites: where video games can't be taken seriously.
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I like the how the attitude around this games is that it belongs to a small group of people and it should stay that way so only the "real" battlefield players can enjoy the game and run the devs out of business.  What a hipster attitude.

easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By easthill

Let's just forget that people did worry about their K/D in BF2. 

VictoryBlixt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By VictoryBlixt
    @SethPhotopoulos said:
    " I like the how the attitude around this games is that it belongs to a small group of people and it should stay that way so only the "real" battlefield players can enjoy the game and run the devs out of business.  What a hipster attitude. "
    I don't feel that way at all. The Bad Company series made a lot of changes and I didn't mind that at all. What scares me about this game is it's positioning as a COD killer and what that entails. If they said they are trying to make the best battlefield game they can and also make efforts to allow more people to enjoy it then I'd be fine with that but they aren't saying that they are saying they're making a COD killer
    FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FourWude
    @ajamafalous said:

" @FourWude said:

" It's just a game. "

Video game websites: where video games can't be taken seriously. "

Video game websites, where video games becomes greater than life and death issues.

Some people worry about future jobs, others worry about where their next paycheque will come from, some worry about the education or deteriorating environmental issues.... but on a videogame website none of this shit matters because it's all about whether a game focuses too much on a kill death ratio or not, that's the real  frightening future.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Romination

I hate when things get popular.

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sjupp
    @VictoryBlixt said:

" @SethPhotopoulos said:

" I like the how the attitude around this games is that it belongs to a small group of people and it should stay that way so only the "real" battlefield players can enjoy the game and run the devs out of business.  What a hipster attitude. "

I don't feel that way at all. The Bad Company series made a lot of changes and I didn't mind that at all. What scares me about this game is it's positioning as a COD killer and what that entails. If they said they are trying to make the best battlefield game they can and also make efforts to allow more people to enjoy it then I'd be fine with that but they aren't saying that they are saying they're making a COD killer "
    I'd like to share with you something I listened to a couple of days ago:
     http://www.dontrevivemebro.com/blog/2011/04/11/don%E2%80%99t-revive-me-bro-podcast-14-with-daniel-matros-dice-bf-community-manager/
    They do talk some about how it's being depicted as the COD-killer but he said that the mentality of their team is not that at all. They just want to make their game. To make a good game. Sure, there is always going to be competition but it's not how people think it is now with them just focusing on taking COD down.
    It made me feel.. relieved.
    VictoryBlixt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By VictoryBlixt
    @FourWude said:
    " @ajamafalous said:

" @FourWude said:

" It's just a game. "

Video game websites, where video games becomes greater than life and death issues.

Some people worry about future jobs, others worry about where their next paycheque will come from, some worry about the education or deteriorating environmental issues.... but on a videogame website none of this shit matters because it's all about whether a game focuses too much on a kill death ratio or not, that's the real  frightening future.

"
    Well maybe I do have other concerns but I don't air them on this VIDEO GAME ENTHUSIAST WEBSITE! This isn't a topic about my greatest fears this isn't a topic about the things that are most important to me, this is a topic about Battlefield so why don't you not make assumptions about me and stop insulting me too
    hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hero_swe
    @FourWude said:
    "

@ajamafalous said:

"

@FourWude said:

" It's just a game. "

Video game websites: where video games can't be taken seriously.

"

"

Everyone has such worries, this is not the main outlet to discuss such things though.

Keep Video game websites about video games.
    easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By easthill
    @VictoryBlixt said:
    " I don't feel that way at all. The Bad Company series made a lot of changes and I didn't mind that at all. What scares me about this game is it's positioning as a COD killer and what that entails. If they said they are trying to make the best battlefield game they can and also make efforts to allow more people to enjoy it then I'd be fine with that but they aren't saying that they are saying they're making a COD killer "
    That's just a long way to say COD Killer. Oh, and to me it looks like what DICE is doing - is making the best possible BF game.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    generic "hurr durr  im so cool and wise and open minded" post about how you're a delusional conspiracy theorist / jesus fanatic / mad speculator and that the 'game isnt even out yet lulz' and that 'you hate stuff when it gets popular lulz' etc.............
    serious answer: im with you.. BF3 is gonna be an enormous disappointment. ;sadface;

simply because its physically impossible to both kill COD by grabbing its shallow mindless 14 year old hordes of gamers AND be sophisticated and true to the franchise.. if DICE can pull such a miracle, i'll never complain about a game again

@VictoryBlixt said:
    " I'd be happy to eat my words, I really would"
    same fucking here
    FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FourWude
    @VictoryBlixt said:
    " @FourWude said:
    " @ajamafalous said:

" @FourWude said:

" It's just a game. "

"
    Well maybe I do have other concerns but I don't air them on this VIDEO GAME ENTHUSIAST WEBSITE! This isn't a topic about my greatest fears this isn't a topic about the things that are most important to me, this is a topic about Battlefield so why don't you not make assumptions about me and stop insulting me too "

Well Battlefield must be one of your main concerns in life because it's frightening your future as your topic titles explicitly states. It is a frightening future indeed when Battlefield 3 focuses on kill death ratios and team deathmatch gameplay. That's not a future I want to live in. That's not a future I want to bring my children up in. It's a scary reality indeed.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FourWude
    @Hero_Swe said:

"Everyone has such worries, this is not the main outlet to discuss such things though.Keep Video game websites about video games. "

Not everyone does have such worries. And many people out there who do have such worries in their near future certainly don't prioritise them as they should. Some people will worry more about whether Modern Warfare 3 has a full fledged co-op mode rather than focusing on a near future of economic uncertainty.
    VictoryBlixt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By VictoryBlixt
    @FourWude:@FourWude said:
    " @VictoryBlixt said:
    " @FourWude said:
    " @ajamafalous said:

" @FourWude said:

" It's just a game. "

"
    Well maybe I do have other concerns but I don't air them on this VIDEO GAME ENTHUSIAST WEBSITE! This isn't a topic about my greatest fears this isn't a topic about the things that are most important to me, this is a topic about Battlefield so why don't you not make assumptions about me and stop insulting me too "

Well Battlefield must be one of your main concerns in life because it's frightening your future as your topic titles explicitly states. It is a frightening future indeed when Battlefield 3 focuses on kill death ratios and team deathmatch gameplay. That's not a future I want to live in. That's not a future I want to bring my children up in. It's a scary reality indeed.

"
    Again please stop making assumptions about my life and my priorites. If you had anymore intelligence than a 3 year old then you'd know that obviously my topic title was a hyperbole and it was only in reference to this game. This topic is about my fears regarding this game not my fears regarding the state of the world.
    So why don't you go be a confrontational prick somewhere else?
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @FourWude:  yeah hi, could you sod off and let us discuss this video game please? thanks !
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @VictoryBlixt said:
    " @FourWude:@FourWude said:
    " @VictoryBlixt said:
    " @FourWude said:
    " @ajamafalous said:

" @FourWude said:

" It's just a game. "

"

"
    Again please stop making assumptions about my life and my priorites. If you had anymore intelligence than a 3 year old then you'd know that obviously my topic title was a hyperbole and it was only in reference to this game. This topic is about my fears regarding this game not my fears regarding the state of the world.So why don't you go be a confrontational prick somewhere else? "
    He won't listen.
    Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#20  Edited By Ping5000
    @FourWude: That's true, not everyone does. We agree. Now let's talk about video games. In this case, let's talk about Battlefield 3.

I've read BF3's senior gameplay designer's tweets and he's aiming for "easy to grasp, hard to master". I think that's always the way you should go, but it's up to DICE to make it happen. Personally, I'm not too worried and I know this sounds a little crazy, but if it plays like BC2 but on a way bigger scale, I really wouldn't mind.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
    deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@FourWude said:
    " @ajamafalous said:

" @FourWude said:

" It's just a game. "

"
    /facepalm 
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DystopiaX
    @Jethuty said:
    " @FourWude said:
    " @ajamafalous said:

" @FourWude said:

" It's just a game. "

"
    /facepalm  "
    lol
    because on a videogame website I come to discuss how we change the world. Not, you know, videogames?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
    deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DystopiaX said:
    " @Jethuty said:
    " @FourWude said:
    " @ajamafalous said:

" @FourWude said:

" It's just a game. "

"
    /facepalm  "
    lol
    because on a videogame website I come to discuss how we change the world. Not, you know, videogames?
    "
    maybe we should start discussing video games and you know, not world problems?

i know call me crazy but thats how i feel.
    TheDarkness123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheDarkness123

I hope it doesn't kill COD that way all the hackers still play COD while I'm actually winning for a change.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By Seppli
    @VictoryBlixt:

Dude - there are many layers to BF gameplay. Straightforward assault kit infantry gameplay, which anybody well versed in FPS gaming can instantly pick up and play, is at BF's core. Battlefield is game of countless layers. The most basic layers of gameplay are as accessible as any other FPS game out there. Opposed to most other games though, depth is nigh endless with as many playstyles to discover and master as you can imagine and many roles to fill and contribute to the team effort.

In the end, it's all about balance. If scrubs feel like they can fight back against an ace jet or chopper pilot, like they have a fighting chance, then DICE has nailed balance. I'm currently playing lots of BF:BC 2 Vietnam on consoles, chopper whoring the Huey in Rush and Conquest. Those things are made of paper. Everybody feels like they can fight back and win. Of course I'm routinely going flawless K/D. Getting plenty kills to zero deaths. Especially in Rush. Despite my mastery of Huey-flying though, it's always a fight. I'm getting shot at, my armor is frequently dangerously low. Often I manage to break line of sight just a mere single percent away from destruction.

For every flawless round, I get a random bullet to the head from some dude taking pot shots at my chopper. BF Karma is a fickle bitch.
    FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FourWude

This thread has taught me that:

a) Plenty of people take gaming way too seriously.

b) Trust a modern war shooter to get people riled up.

@VictoryBlixt said:

" @FourWude:@FourWude said:

" @VictoryBlixt said:
    " @FourWude said:
    " @ajamafalous said:

" @FourWude said:

" It's just a game. "

"

"
    Again please stop making assumptions about my life and my priorites. If you had anymore intelligence than a 3 year old then you'd know that obviously my topic title was a hyperbole and it was only in reference to this game. This topic is about my fears regarding this game not my fears regarding the state of the world.So why don't you go be a confrontational prick somewhere else? "
    I apologise for hurting your special feelings.

It's all ok now, bad man is going to leave your thread.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FourWude
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @FourWude:  yeah hi, could you sod off and let us discuss this video game please? thanks ! "

Maybe you should learn to take your head out of this games ass for a minute and realise people, like me,  want to take the piss out of this game and those who take it seriously.

Shit is fun.

@Jethuty said:

" @FourWude said:

" @ajamafalous said:

" @FourWude said:

" It's just a game. "

"
    /facepalm  "
    Facepalm hasn't meant anything in at least 5 years.

When I troll, I at least put some effort into it.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jeffsekai

STOP HAVING FUN

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @VictoryBlixt said:
    " @SethPhotopoulos said:
    I don't feel that way at all. The Bad Company series made a lot of changes and I didn't mind that at all. What scares me about this game is it's positioning as a COD killer and what that entails. If they said they are trying to make the best battlefield game they can and also make efforts to allow more people to enjoy it then I'd be fine with that but they aren't saying that they are saying they're making a COD killer "
    Considering the amount of people who play CoD and the fact that it breaks records every year...making a CoD Killer may be the best way for the company to  allow more people to enjoy the game. Plus, if you ask me, the Battlefield 3 trailers we've seen so far seem to suggest they aren't just making a game to compete with CoD, but are genuinely attempting to make a game that, while still sticking to the Modern style, is going to be the best game in the genre. Frankly, the game looks fucking fantastic to me so far.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MrKlorox
    @SethPhotopoulos said:
    " What a hipster attitude. "
    Quoted for irony.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @MrKlorox said:
    " @SethPhotopoulos said:
    " What a hipster attitude. "
    Quoted for irony. "
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    fucking spot on ! 
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Sjupp said:
    " @VictoryBlixt said:

" @SethPhotopoulos said:

I'd like to share with you something I listened to a couple of days ago:
     http://www.dontrevivemebro.com/blog/2011/04/11/don%E2%80%99t-revive-me-bro-podcast-14-with-daniel-matros-dice-bf-community-manager/They do talk some about how it's being depicted as the COD-killer but he said that the mentality of their team is not that at all. They just want to make their game. To make a good game. Sure, there is always going to be competition but it's not how people think it is now with them just focusing on taking COD down.It made me feel.. relieved. "
    thanks for that.. i listened to it last night in bed and it really relieved me as well
    there's still hope. 
    Pumpe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Pumpe

After countless of hours of Bad Company 2 as of late this not working towards the objective is already there and from what I remember it was in BF2 aswell. Varies from server to server tho. Rush f.ex. falls under the K/D fest so damned often there is something else to it.

BF3 could use a new take on how they condition the player to work towards objectives. The game is not too advanced, nor a hard concept. Ya'll are giving people too little credit for their mental capacity. Its more a question of what stimuli you put into the game (K/D is a stimuli and a very potent one it seems).
    One simple thing they can do is to flatout remove K/D from the scoreboard and instead tweak the point system to be more equal between classes and doing the objectives. If I look at myself when playing BC2: I always work toward the objective in the manner my class does best. However, if I notice that my K/D is bad I hold back on working towards the objective and instead focusing on the K/D ratio. A bad K/D has a negative impact on my gameplay, whilst a good has a positive one.
    The stat have the potential to make you go deathmatch mode instead of teamplay mode. In fancier words, you are conditioned to go K/D.

If for some reason K/D is such a holy grail in multiplayer FPS-gaming have it show up at the end screen. Not during the round. Hell, Dice could even toss in a TDM-mode (like conquest without the flags). It  would give players who has the urge to go all TDM do it without making objectives suffer.

Im more scared that they wont fix certain mechanics and other things. Like:
    Sloppy hit detection.
    Ammo boxes replenishing grenades and thus creating TOO much fucking explosions (herpa derp: noone in sight, gonna disarm the MCOMs..BLAM-O...50 thousand grenades) and too many chokepoints on maps.
     Allow modding. Guess this has something to do with content protection, but Im sure it can be protected while still giving us mods.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.