Today In Battlefield 3 Screw-Ups: Battlefield 1943 Not Included With PS3 Copies as Promised

Posted by Alex (2293 posts) -

You have to hand it to Electronic Arts on Battlefield 3's launch: when EA borks something up, they really go for the gusto. As if botched Betas, shadily dealt-out review code, broken Xbox 360 servers on launch day, and hilariously bonkers nonsense like this weren't enough, now we can go ahead and add randomly missing console-exclusive bonuses to the endlessly burning tire fire of rage that EA refuses to stop pouring gasoline on.

You may remember waaaaayyyyyy back in June at a little industry get-together called E3, that EA, by way of Sony's Jack Tretton, announced that all PlayStation 3 copies of Battlefield 3 would come with an extra-special bonus game packed onto the Blu-ray disc in the form of Battlefield 1943. Up until the game's launch yesterday, no one had any reason to believe that Battlefield 1943 wouldn't be appearing as a bonus in the PS3 version. Then yesterday happened, and suddenly it was not there.

Responding to this understandable query by the confused masses, EA's poor, unfortunate community manager in charge of Battlefield 3 was forced to take to Twitter and announce that...no, I can't re-type it. It's too painful.

In lieu of 1943 being available on disk for PS3 customers, EA has made all BF3 expansions available early to PS3 customers.

Right.

So, just to recap, instead of a free game that had been previously promised to be included on the disc, PlayStation 3 owners will be granted the first opportunity to buy more Battlefield 3. Is anyone else feeling a little like Will Ferrell at the end of Zoolander right now?

The issue is less that EA had to go back on including Battlefield 1943 as part of the package--dumb things happen during development, and it's understood that sometimes things don't work out as you expect--but the fact that nobody notified consumers of this fact prior to the game's launch is straight-up horrendous. At any time, any time, during the PR cycle for Battlefield 3, someone at EA could have piped up and said, "Oh, that was just craaaaaaazy uncle Jack at Sony getting loose of his bed straps again and talking crazy talk! We don't have Battlefield 1943 on this disc!" Instead, they let people continue to believe that a console-exclusive bonus existed when, in fact, it did not.

If you can't see something deeply, deeply wrong with that, I think you may be beyond help.

#1 Posted by Alex (2293 posts) -

You have to hand it to Electronic Arts on Battlefield 3's launch: when EA borks something up, they really go for the gusto. As if botched Betas, shadily dealt-out review code, broken Xbox 360 servers on launch day, and hilariously bonkers nonsense like this weren't enough, now we can go ahead and add randomly missing console-exclusive bonuses to the endlessly burning tire fire of rage that EA refuses to stop pouring gasoline on.

You may remember waaaaayyyyyy back in June at a little industry get-together called E3, that EA, by way of Sony's Jack Tretton, announced that all PlayStation 3 copies of Battlefield 3 would come with an extra-special bonus game packed onto the Blu-ray disc in the form of Battlefield 1943. Up until the game's launch yesterday, no one had any reason to believe that Battlefield 1943 wouldn't be appearing as a bonus in the PS3 version. Then yesterday happened, and suddenly it was not there.

Responding to this understandable query by the confused masses, EA's poor, unfortunate community manager in charge of Battlefield 3 was forced to take to Twitter and announce that...no, I can't re-type it. It's too painful.

In lieu of 1943 being available on disk for PS3 customers, EA has made all BF3 expansions available early to PS3 customers.

Right.

So, just to recap, instead of a free game that had been previously promised to be included on the disc, PlayStation 3 owners will be granted the first opportunity to buy more Battlefield 3. Is anyone else feeling a little like Will Ferrell at the end of Zoolander right now?

The issue is less that EA had to go back on including Battlefield 1943 as part of the package--dumb things happen during development, and it's understood that sometimes things don't work out as you expect--but the fact that nobody notified consumers of this fact prior to the game's launch is straight-up horrendous. At any time, any time, during the PR cycle for Battlefield 3, someone at EA could have piped up and said, "Oh, that was just craaaaaaazy uncle Jack at Sony getting loose of his bed straps again and talking crazy talk! We don't have Battlefield 1943 on this disc!" Instead, they let people continue to believe that a console-exclusive bonus existed when, in fact, it did not.

If you can't see something deeply, deeply wrong with that, I think you may be beyond help.

#2 Posted by Hameyadea (348 posts) -

Damn you EA!

#3 Edited by BombaLuigi (154 posts) -

YADADA

#4 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

That's nasty.

#5 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -

.... Totally forgot about it....

#6 Posted by Ronald (1372 posts) -

And considering EA tends to favor PS3 anyway, this doesn't feel like a deal.

#7 Posted by Vextroid (1415 posts) -

Wasn't the PS3 getting stuff early announced weeks ago?

#8 Posted by ArcadeHero (74 posts) -

Above and beyond the call indeed. :/

#9 Edited by MetalGearSunny (6997 posts) -

Wow, that's pretty pathetic.

#10 Posted by countinhallways (632 posts) -

That is super shitty of them. They really are cocking this one up big time so far.

#11 Posted by DancingJesus (68 posts) -

The opportunity to buy more stuff early. How nice of them..

#12 Posted by Ascardon (69 posts) -

EA "it's in the game" yeah you know where this is going ,great work EA.

#13 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

I tweeted about this earlier. Quite disgusting to say the least. I would have thought they would at least have tried to replace the free BF:1943 promise with another game, maybe even said the first batch of BF3 DLC for PS3 owners would be free or something.

#14 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

Is it just me, or does Battlefield 3 have a lot of jacked up shit surrounding it for such a high profile release?

#15 Posted by Stingraymond (85 posts) -

Disappointment of the year and it just gets worse.

#16 Posted by Aetheldod (3626 posts) -

Yes EA wants to dethrone Actimilktion from the evil corporate bs ladder and with style it seems

#17 Posted by Mistzero (309 posts) -

To be honest I forgot about 1943 but yeah this is some fucked up bait and switch tactics.

#18 Posted by SpartanAmbrose (834 posts) -

EA is doing a damn fine job of absolutely butchering the release of Battlefield 3.

#19 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

I don't know who in their right mind would want to play 1943 while owning BF3, but a broken promise is a broken promise. Not surprised though, they've probably been neck-deep in the shit storm following the release of this game.

#20 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

@Vextroid said:

Wasn't the PS3 getting stuff early announced weeks ago?

You're right. They did announce previously that PS3 players would get early access to BF3 DLC. So them now saying it again makes this new announcement all that more bitter tasting for PS3 players. Genuinely don't understand why they didn't make the first DLC free for PS3 players as way of an apology for not providing a free copy of the game they said would be included with BF3 on PS3.

#21 Posted by Kingloo (85 posts) -

Battlefield 3 was just not done. Unfinished. Should have been delayed. Been Elite'd.

#22 Edited by Kesselrun (67 posts) -

*deleted*

#23 Posted by Harkat (1104 posts) -

@SpartanAmbrose said:

EA is doing a damn fine job of absolutely butchering the release of Battlefield 3.

#24 Posted by Sammo21 (3353 posts) -

Then again, who is going to be worried about playing 1943 when they have battlefield 3?

#25 Edited by Shuborno (938 posts) -

Yikes.

Lying to your customers is perhaps not the best way to make money.

I already don't buy Activision games anymore. Maybe EA will make the list post-Mass Effect 3.

#26 Posted by imsh_pl (3298 posts) -
@Stingraymond said:

You should really play Duke Nukem Forever.

On topic: Wow, that's just fucking pathetic. I'm out of words.
#27 Posted by KoolAid (972 posts) -

Wow. I usually side with the developer most of this issues, but this is baaad. I don't even wanna play devil advocate, I can't even think of an argument!

#28 Posted by jfk80 (5 posts) -

Not bothered in the slightest, I'll be too busy playing, y'know, Battlefield 3?

#29 Posted by dragonzord (822 posts) -
#30 Posted by Harkat (1104 posts) -

@imsh_pl said:

@Stingraymond said:

Difference was, people knew Duke was going to be shit months in advance. BF was going to be, even to a lot of people who Know Their Shit, the greatest thing ever.

#31 Posted by FCKSNAP (2299 posts) -

They couldn't even include Burnout Paradise or something instead? Its eight bucks on PSN while 1943 is still about $15.

#32 Edited by Cretaceous_Bob (519 posts) -

I'd care about any of this hoopla if I wasn't here to play video games and if Battlefield wasn't a goddamn fun video game to play.

#33 Posted by jjnen (661 posts) -

Well fuck you EA.

#34 Posted by lordofultima (6255 posts) -

@imsh_pl said:

@Stingraymond said:

You should really play Duke Nukem Forever. On topic: Wow, that's just fucking pathetic. I'm out of words.

DNF was not so disappointing, who was expecting anything from it? I'd say it's the surprise of the year that it came out in playable state.

#35 Posted by Jeffsekai (7042 posts) -

I feel like I am the only person actually playing BF3 at this point.

#36 Posted by Rirse (267 posts) -

No Battlefield 1943 or Steam, No Sale

#37 Posted by TekZero (2674 posts) -

That is pretty bad. PS3 customers should be able to get a full refund upon return.

#38 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@lordofultima said:

@imsh_pl said:

@Stingraymond said:

You should really play Duke Nukem Forever. On topic: Wow, that's just fucking pathetic. I'm out of words.

DNF was not so disappointing, who was expecting anything from it? I'd say it's the surprise of the year that it came out in playable state.

Yeah, I don't understand why people say Duke Nukem Forever was disappointing..if you were expecting a great game, you went into the game expecting something you shouldn't have. Nobody thought it was going to be good.

#39 Posted by MattyFTM (14415 posts) -

They could have apologized for the mishap and gave every PS3 BF3 owner a free download copy of 1943. But nope. Oh EA.

#40 Posted by dragonzord (822 posts) -

@Stingraymond said:

At least BF3 is conceptually fun. LA Noire turned out to be a controller vibration simulator.

#41 Edited by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

EA! It's not in the game! It's in the aggressive marketing and shady DLC deals! You guys have fun with that.

#42 Posted by FesteringNeon (2164 posts) -

As someone who had 1943 as a shared game from a friend before the first PS3 went "poof" (before fixing it) I enjoyed 1943 just enough to warrant a play once in awhile. Sure BF3 takes the cake, but what happens when I'm playing Dark Souls and need a quick break to play something else? 1943 would have been perfect. Just make 1943 $0.99 or something on the PSN store.

#43 Posted by kingando420 (210 posts) -

EA suck. Poor DICE.

#44 Posted by blacklab (1568 posts) -

Unbelievable how poorly run EA is.

#45 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

I'm shocked that DICE is able to stand this. Battlefield is their child and its raped left and right by EA.

#46 Posted by AmericanNinja (157 posts) -

who cares. old games are old.

#47 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

Two high profile game releases in two weeks with super fucked up launches. Good job video game companies.

#48 Posted by Blunt (61 posts) -

All the bad press and shonky-shit emerging from the launch of BF3 has turned me off the product. I got a call from the store I pre-ordered at yesterday, excitedly telling me the game had broken street date a day early and was now available, but all the pre-release hype has quickly deflated from the disappointing reports appearing online and middling reception Battlefield 3 is receiving from some sectors of the gaming community. But straight up telling bare faced lies about additional incentives for buying on a particular platform only to come clean when the game has hit shelves and customers are all "Yo Goober, where's that BF1943 you promised?" after they have already parted with their cold, hard cash?

Final nail in the coffin for me. Cancelling my order and putting the deposit money towards Uncharted 3 or Skyward Sword. The only efficient thing EA appear to be doing lately is pissing away all that good will they built up over the last few years which seems kind of dumb.

#49 Posted by Taklulas (401 posts) -

lolconsoles.

#50 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@Harkat said:

@imsh_pl said:

@Stingraymond said:

Difference was, people knew Duke was going to be shit months in advance. BF was going to be, even to a lot of people who Know Their Shit, the greatest thing ever.

You guys are fucking nuts. Do you think any of this shit matters to me, when I'm sitting in my A-10 raining death on the beaches of Kharg Island? Nuh-uh. BF3 is going to be WICKED!

As for this BF1943 SNAFU. Who gives a shit? Poor communication from both EA and Sony. It was a stupid bonus to begin with. It's a shame such shit gets in the way of what seems to me like the multiplayer game to beat this season.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.