USAS-12 Shotgun + Frag Rounds Ruining BF3

#1 Edited by Vivek (517 posts) -

About a month ago Devil240Z posted a topic how he hates USAS-12 users. But since then the issue has got worse. It started with 1 or 2 players on a team using the weapon, but now it seems as if every other player has the shotgun setup with frag rounds.

In Bad Company 2 there was the NeoStead 2000 issue, where players could use it as a sniper rifle, but at least you needed to line up a shot for it to work. The difference with the USAS-12 is that you just have to aim in the general direction as keep tapping the fire button.

I feel that DICE need to balance the issue as the majority of players are using the exploit, making the game in certain situations completely unplayable.

#2 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

They are nerfing the fire rate with frags in the next patch. Also:

USAS-12: Increased the initial recoil. Reduced the total pellets fired from 12 to 9. The USAS 12 has a higher ROF than other shotguns, this recoil change better balances that advantage and the pellets balance its damage output.

#3 Posted by Vivek (517 posts) -

@mosdl: Great to hear. Hope the patch comes soon. I've stayed away from using the shotgun due to feeling like a cheat when using it, maybe once its fixed ill give it another go.

#4 Posted by Beaudacious (927 posts) -

Oh please, the MP7, P90, AEK-971, Famas are way more abused then the USAS-12g frag. Plus it takes so much ammo to kill one person, its useless without iron sights, and at certain times is extremely unpredictable.

If you really want to be abusive use the M870 with 12g-frags, one shot kill on most distances. Although it does require more skill to use, and its not being changed in the update. Using the Mp7 I can destroy anyone with a USAS, its way to wild to provide any consistent use.

I would guarantee you'd be crying about the mp7 after one match, great spray, great cone of fire, great mobility, great mid-range accuracy.

Oh and the AEK-971 is as ridiculous as it always was.

#5 Posted by damnboyadvance (4060 posts) -

I think "ruining BF3" is a bit of an overstatement. I still enjoy the game as much as I did before everybody starting using the USAS

#6 Edited by jayjonesjunior (1087 posts) -

for a game that is suppose to be competitive there are a lot of balance issues.

#7 Edited by Asrahn (552 posts) -

@mosdl said:

They are nerfing the fire rate with frags in the next patch. Also:

USAS-12: Increased the initial recoil. Reduced the total pellets fired from 12 to 9. The USAS 12 has a higher ROF than other shotguns, this recoil change better balances that advantage and the pellets balance its damage output.

Also nerfing the splash damage of frags.

Looking good, all in all, the upcoming patch.

Edit: For the entire list, check this out.

http://bf3blog.com/2012/02/list-of-confirmed-battlefield-3-fixes-released/

#8 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

I actually said in that other thread that they weren't that bad at long range but it seems people have gotten better at using them since I seem to be killed from a much greater range now. They are annoying for sure. Reminds me of BC1 where the shotguns in that game were the only effective med range weapon and everybody used them all the damn time and the knife in that game was the best weapon for clearing buildings, what a weird game.

#9 Edited by spartanlolz92 (511 posts) -

wish i could play it on my comp with out ea servers dropping me every game. thats whats ruining bf3 for me

#10 Posted by Liber (648 posts) -

@Beaudacious said:

Oh please, the MP7, P90, AEK-971, Famas are way more abused then the USAS-12g frag. Plus it takes so much ammo to kill one person, its useless without iron sights, and at certain times is extremely unpredictable.

If you really want to be abusive use the M870 with 12g-frags, one shot kill on most distances. Although it does require more skill to use, and its not being changed in the update. Using the Mp7 I can destroy anyone with a USAS, its way to wild to provide any consistent use.

I would guarantee you'd be crying about the mp7 after one match, great spray, great cone of fire, great mobility, great mid-range accuracy.

Oh and the AEK-971 is as ridiculous as it always was.

Are playing fucking Metro only or something ?

#11 Posted by AlexW00d (6240 posts) -

@Beaudacious: I rarely see anyone using the AEK, what's so 'ridiculous' about it?

#12 Posted by bwmcmaste (838 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@Beaudacious: I rarely see anyone using the AEK, what's so 'ridiculous' about it?

Most of the "balance issues" in BF3 come from folks in the following situation:

Player Y: I am often getting killed by players who use (weapon x), and I do not like using it myself, so (weapon x) is clearly unbalanced. Since I only use a particular loadout every round, it is clear that the vast majority of weapons in BF3 are unbalanced.

#13 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

MP7 and P90 overpowered? LOL

#14 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

Bad kids will be bad kids, they'll always need a no skill crutch.

#15 Posted by bwmcmaste (838 posts) -

@Arker101 said:

MP7 and P90 overpowered? LOL

My sentiments exactly.

#16 Posted by Bucketdeth (8007 posts) -

I never understood why players choose to use the USAS-12 when they know it is over-powered, it may just be me but I actually feel terrible using a broken weapon knowing it is over-powered. I guess I just like to play fair.

#17 Posted by Intro (1206 posts) -

It's pretty ridiculous. I was shooting a guy para-shooting who didn't even see me and right before he died, he looked down and I just hear POP POP POP POP and I died in an explosion. Seriously, a main weapon that blows everything up around you.

#18 Edited by MasterChiefSnake (17 posts) -

Yeah. USAS-12 with Frag-12 (Frag in game text) are for trolls. I just hate trolls who used USAS-12 with Frag-12. If I see people who used USAS-12 with Frag-12 and using Troll dog tag as status, I will report it to host or EA. I would refer to use M4A1 with silent suppressor, 4x ACOG scope and fore grip, and M1911 with silent suppressor as Metal Gear Solid-style.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.