Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Weird random drop of frames per second in-game.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By MachoFantastico

So this is frustrating me, and I can't figure out what is causing it. Been playing a bit of both the single player campaign and the (from what I've experienced) stunning multiplayer. But for some reason, I get sudden random drops of frames per second that last a varied amount of time (5-30 seconds). The game is running as smooth as butter for the most part so I don't get why it as these sudden FPS drops out of nowhere. Looked around on the web and some similar issues relate it to a bug (but from what I can read into, probably a beta thing) and others say varied reasons why. There doesn't seem to be a direct cause.

Forgot to mention I'm running with a ATI Radeon 5870 and have installed the third version of the preview drivers that they released. But still the sudden drops make appearances every so often. I just don't get it. Driving me mad, cause the game as been visually stunning so far and the multiplayer looks so darn good.... any ideas?

Thanks.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Hitchenson

This won't be of any help, but I'm running on a 5870 on 11.9 drivers and I'm not getting any issues. 

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MachoFantastico

@Hitchenson said:

This won't be of any help, but I'm running on a 5870 on 11.9 drivers and I'm not getting any issues.

No, that is helpful. Provides some idea if it is a game issue or external issue.

Thanks.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MachoFantastico

Hmm interesting, think I might have found the villain causing all the problems. So checked settings and it seems good old motion blur is to blame. Turned that off and no longer getting that awful sudden FPS drop. Lost count of how many issues I've had with motion blur in games this year.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Hitchenson
    @TrueEnglishGent said:

Hmm interesting, think I might have found the villain causing all the problems. So checked settings and it seems good old motion blur is to blame. Turned that off and no longer getting that awful sudden FPS drop. Lost count of how many issues I've had with motion blur in games this year.

Makes sense. I disable motion blur in every game I play, hence not running into issues. I loathe motion blur.
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Bollard

Can you describe the drop any better? Like, is it going from 60-30 for a long period of time or something?

In the Single Player especially I had a recurring theme on my Fraps monitor where the FPS would, randomly, instantaneously drop sharply, then come back up by about 2FPS and stay steadily low for a couple of seconds, and then go back to solid 60. It was only like ~5fps drop, but it was really noticeable as it felt like the game was stuttering cause of its suddenness.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Sooty

For some reason when I had motion blur enabled I kept getting a split second of lag whenever I zoomed in. This didn't happen on the beta, so something must have gotten a bit broke there.

I'm still impressed I can run this so well on ultra, it's so much better than the beta.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @TrueEnglishGent said:

@Hitchenson said:

No, that is helpful. Provides some idea if it is a game issue or external issue.

Thanks.

Actually it's a graphics issue and is easily repeatable.  Turn down the textures from Ultra to High and watch your RAM usage drop considerably (well over 1GB saved).  No more hitching.  Fixed my issues.
    mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By mosdl

@SeriouslyNow said:

Actually it's a graphics issue and is easily repeatable. Turn down the textures from Ultra to High and watch your RAM usage drop considerably (well over 1GB saved). No more hitching. Fixed my issues.

Is there any noticeable visual difference between ultra and high textures?

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @mosdl said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

Actually it's a graphics issue and is easily repeatable. Turn down the textures from Ultra to High and watch your RAM usage drop considerably (well over 1GB saved). No more hitching. Fixed my issues.

Is there any noticeable visual difference between ultra and high textures?

Maybe in certain places (like the cockpit of the jet) in the SP, but I really haven't seen a difference in the MP.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.