What are you gonna play first? Singleplayer or Multiplayer?

#1 Posted by HXCE (46 posts) -
#2 Posted by HXCE (46 posts) -
I'm pretty hyped about the singleplayer. Think I might check out that first. What about you guys? :)
#3 Posted by Spoonman671 (4693 posts) -

Even though it's a Battlefield game, I have a compulsion and must play the campaign first. 

#4 Posted by mosdl (3229 posts) -

MP first, and campaign when I feel like it. 

#5 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

Wait...there's a single player?

#6 Posted by DystopiaX (5334 posts) -

I always play the single player first, for any game that has singleplayer.

#7 Posted by Rockanomics (1150 posts) -
@Spoonman671 said:
" Even though it's a Battlefield game, I have a compulsion and must play the campaign first.  "
Yeah, I'm also pretty crazy about that. I was so bad I remember I wouldn't even play Team Fortress Classic until I finished Half Life. 

I imagine for BF3 I'll get in one sitting or so of the SP out of the way and then play SP or multi depending on if my friends are on.
#8 Posted by Spoonman671 (4693 posts) -
@Rockanomics said:
" @Spoonman671 said:
" Even though it's a Battlefield game, I have a compulsion and must play the campaign first.  "
Yeah, I'm also pretty crazy about that. I was so bad I remember I wouldn't even play Team Fortress Classic until I finished Half Life.  I imagine for BF3 I'll get in one sitting or so of the SP out of the way and then play SP or multi depending on if my friends are on. "
Nope, I have to complete the campaign before moving on.  It's the rules... that I made up and self-enforce.
#9 Posted by LeYcH (216 posts) -

Singleplayer just so I can get the feel for the game and not seem like an idiot.

#10 Edited by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

I voted singleplayer because I usually start that way to get a feel for how the game functions.
With BF3 though.. I'm not sure. Depends on whether I get the game installed and ready at the same time as my friends or not. I'm not gonna play multiplayer before they're ready to roll.

I actually spent a few hours playing "singleplayer" in BF2 to try the helicopter and plane. Last thing I wanted was to look like an idiot with the Blackhawk.

#11 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Hmm... I actually hadn't considered it. It'll probably be the singleplayer if I am lucky enough to get in a multiplayer beta or two before it comes out.

#12 Posted by weegieanawrench (1941 posts) -

Singleplayer in one or two sittings and then I'll move onto multiplayer right after. No matter what game I'm playing that has both modes, I will always finish  the singleplayer before moving on.

#13 Posted by Sogeman (872 posts) -

Bit of Single, then Multi. I hope there are Jet and Heli levels. I missed a Helilevel in BC2, that's why I never learned how to fly the damn things.

So I mainly use Singleplayer to get into gears.

#14 Posted by EpicSteve (6490 posts) -
@example1013 said:
" Wait...there's a single player? "
It's actually pretty fleshed out this time. The singleplayer is a legit campaign that takes place in 2014, the Iranians are invading Iraq while coalition troops are still occupying the country.
#15 Posted by captain_clayman (3325 posts) -

most likely i'll play single player first because that's just the kind of guy i am.

#16 Posted by RobotHamster (4175 posts) -

I usually go through single player first in games.

#17 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -
@EpicSteve: So now the question is, which is a more ridiculous premise, this or Homefront? 

Because first there's the idea of us still having a large enough contingent in Iraq by 2014. Then there's the idea of us fighting Iranians, which I don't think would happen, since the Iranian people actually really like Americans, in general.
#18 Edited by EpicSteve (6490 posts) -
@example1013 said:

" @EpicSteve: So now the question is, which is a more ridiculous premise, this or Homefront?  Because first there's the idea of us still having a large enough contingent in Iraq by 2014. Then there's the idea of us fighting Iranians, which I don't think would happen, since the Iranian people actually really like Americans, in general. "

i'm not too educated on Iran's stance with Iraq. I can't speak for other countries, but the U.S. will be out of Iraq withen the next year. We've already pulled out a significant amount of troops, and the remaining force is dedicated to building a new military for Iraq. I can't imagine we would have any boots on the ground in 2014, let alone a significant amount of force to combat an invasion right away. The Marine Corps (you play as a Marine) doesn't have a quick response force to combat an immediate call to duty. Army divisions such as the 82nd Airborne have a dedicated Brigade that stay home and are basically on watch for shit to go down. They're trained to deploy within 18 hours. The government also sets aside National Guard units, and Spec-Ops divisions for this purpose.  

i can't speak to how powerful North Korea and its allies are. However, just keep in mind a lot of fighting would take place in the Pacific and West Coast if they even made it to shore. Then of course they would have to go against America's Middle Eastern, Canadian, Mexican, Asian, and European allies. Not to mention the U.S.'s own military to include an average of 30,000-strong National Guard in every state. They're both pretty ridicules. But i think the North Korean scenario is more "ripped form the headlines", and allows the player to take a break from the Middle East. 
#19 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -
@EpicSteve: hah, yeah, good breakdown. I think Iran and Iraq don't really like each other, but I don't think there's a whole lot of deep-seated hatred like with many countries in the area. If there is, it's pretty under-the surface. 

Then again, North Korea's only powerful ally at this time is China, and China has no desire to cause problems with the US at this time. Make no mistake, though, China would love to expand its borders throughout Asia, and possibly even throughout the rest of the world, much like Russia would. Russia, China, and North Korea are all fairly imperialist nations, but for various reasons annexation isn't a feasible goal at this time (and probably will never be for Krazy Jong-Il).
#20 Posted by Maajin (1073 posts) -

Don't care much for competitive multiplayer. Except in fighting games. And Worms.

#21 Posted by B0nd07 (1699 posts) -

Given the option, I like to play any sort of single player first.  I like to have a feel for the game before playing against other people.

#22 Posted by NTM (7476 posts) -

Single player, but I think they're making it like all the other multiplayer based games with single players in it, where the single player is your tutorial for multiplayer. I really hate those games, but this looks kind of promising.

#23 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

I'll play singleplayer just to get it over with, and then I will know if it was a waste of time or not.

If the singleplayer is actually good, I will be super excited. If it's bad (like BC2's) I will probably be upset at DICE and EA for wasting resources and not focusing on MP enough.

#24 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

Also, China only likes N Korea because it acts as a buffer between S Korea and China. Also because they are commie buddies.

#25 Posted by HXCE (46 posts) -
@theplatypus said:
" Don't care much for competitive multiplayer. Except in fighting games. And Worms. "
Aww Battlefield multiplayer is such an experience... You should at least try it hehe... :P
#26 Posted by contagious (74 posts) -

I only touched the BC2 campain when the MP servers were down on day one, so unless that happens with BF3 I doubt I will even play the campain.

#27 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -

I always go singleplayer first.

#28 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

left monitor, singleplayer 
right monitor, multiplayer 

#29 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

i go through SP first in games, except for Battlefield 

i love the mutliplayer so damn much that i'll be playing both SP and MP everyday til the SP ends, and then its just MP
#30 Posted by rflx (577 posts) -

I usually finish the singleplayer campaign first (unless it's a horrible campaign like Black Ops), but I'm buying the game for the multiplayer.

#31 Posted by Danbo (191 posts) -

Mutliplayer. I haven't even started the BC 1 & 2 campaigns yet :/   Same goes for CoD, haven't completed a singleplayer campaign since CoD 2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.