Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

What are you gonna play first? Singleplayer or Multiplayer?

Avatar image for deactivated-589899fbf34c7
    deactivated-589899fbf34c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty hyped about the singleplayer. Think I might check out that first. What about you guys? :)
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Spoonman671

Even though it's a Battlefield game, I have a compulsion and must play the campaign first. 

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By mosdl

MP first, and campaign when I feel like it. 

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Example1013

Wait...there's a single player?

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By DystopiaX

I always play the single player first, for any game that has singleplayer.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rockanomics
    @Spoonman671 said:
    " Even though it's a Battlefield game, I have a compulsion and must play the campaign first.  "
    Yeah, I'm also pretty crazy about that. I was so bad I remember I wouldn't even play Team Fortress Classic until I finished Half Life. 

I imagine for BF3 I'll get in one sitting or so of the SP out of the way and then play SP or multi depending on if my friends are on.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Spoonman671
    @Rockanomics said:
    " @Spoonman671 said:
    " Even though it's a Battlefield game, I have a compulsion and must play the campaign first.  "
    Yeah, I'm also pretty crazy about that. I was so bad I remember I wouldn't even play Team Fortress Classic until I finished Half Life.  I imagine for BF3 I'll get in one sitting or so of the SP out of the way and then play SP or multi depending on if my friends are on. "
    Nope, I have to complete the campaign before moving on.  It's the rules... that I made up and self-enforce.
    LeYcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By LeYcH

Singleplayer just so I can get the feel for the game and not seem like an idiot.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By PhatSeeJay

I voted singleplayer because I usually start that way to get a feel for how the game functions.
    With BF3 though.. I'm not sure. Depends on whether I get the game installed and ready at the same time as my friends or not. I'm not gonna play multiplayer before they're ready to roll.

I actually spent a few hours playing "singleplayer" in BF2 to try the helicopter and plane. Last thing I wanted was to look like an idiot with the Blackhawk.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrKlorox

Hmm... I actually hadn't considered it. It'll probably be the singleplayer if I am lucky enough to get in a multiplayer beta or two before it comes out.

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
    weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By weegieanawrench

Singleplayer in one or two sittings and then I'll move onto multiplayer right after. No matter what game I'm playing that has both modes, I will always finish  the singleplayer before moving on.

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Sogeman

Bit of Single, then Multi. I hope there are Jet and Heli levels. I missed a Helilevel in BC2, that's why I never learned how to fly the damn things.

So I mainly use Singleplayer to get into gears.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By EpicSteve
    @example1013 said:
    " Wait...there's a single player? "
    It's actually pretty fleshed out this time. The singleplayer is a legit campaign that takes place in 2014, the Iranians are invading Iraq while coalition troops are still occupying the country.
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By captain_clayman

most likely i'll play single player first because that's just the kind of guy i am.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RobotHamster

I usually go through single player first in games.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Example1013
    @EpicSteve: So now the question is, which is a more ridiculous premise, this or Homefront? 

Because first there's the idea of us still having a large enough contingent in Iraq by 2014. Then there's the idea of us fighting Iranians, which I don't think would happen, since the Iranian people actually really like Americans, in general.
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#18  Edited By EpicSteve
    @example1013 said:

" @EpicSteve: So now the question is, which is a more ridiculous premise, this or Homefront?  Because first there's the idea of us still having a large enough contingent in Iraq by 2014. Then there's the idea of us fighting Iranians, which I don't think would happen, since the Iranian people actually really like Americans, in general. "

i'm not too educated on Iran's stance with Iraq. I can't speak for other countries, but the U.S. will be out of Iraq withen the next year. We've already pulled out a significant amount of troops, and the remaining force is dedicated to building a new military for Iraq. I can't imagine we would have any boots on the ground in 2014, let alone a significant amount of force to combat an invasion right away. The Marine Corps (you play as a Marine) doesn't have a quick response force to combat an immediate call to duty. Army divisions such as the 82nd Airborne have a dedicated Brigade that stay home and are basically on watch for shit to go down. They're trained to deploy within 18 hours. The government also sets aside National Guard units, and Spec-Ops divisions for this purpose.  

i can't speak to how powerful North Korea and its allies are. However, just keep in mind a lot of fighting would take place in the Pacific and West Coast if they even made it to shore. Then of course they would have to go against America's Middle Eastern, Canadian, Mexican, Asian, and European allies. Not to mention the U.S.'s own military to include an average of 30,000-strong National Guard in every state. They're both pretty ridicules. But i think the North Korean scenario is more "ripped form the headlines", and allows the player to take a break from the Middle East. 
    Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Example1013
    @EpicSteve: hah, yeah, good breakdown. I think Iran and Iraq don't really like each other, but I don't think there's a whole lot of deep-seated hatred like with many countries in the area. If there is, it's pretty under-the surface. 

Then again, North Korea's only powerful ally at this time is China, and China has no desire to cause problems with the US at this time. Make no mistake, though, China would love to expand its borders throughout Asia, and possibly even throughout the rest of the world, much like Russia would. Russia, China, and North Korea are all fairly imperialist nations, but for various reasons annexation isn't a feasible goal at this time (and probably will never be for Krazy Jong-Il).
    Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Maajin

Don't care much for competitive multiplayer. Except in fighting games. And Worms.

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By B0nd07

Given the option, I like to play any sort of single player first.  I like to have a feel for the game before playing against other people.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NTM

Single player, but I think they're making it like all the other multiplayer based games with single players in it, where the single player is your tutorial for multiplayer. I really hate those games, but this looks kind of promising.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Jayross

I'll play singleplayer just to get it over with, and then I will know if it was a waste of time or not.

If the singleplayer is actually good, I will be super excited. If it's bad (like BC2's) I will probably be upset at DICE and EA for wasting resources and not focusing on MP enough.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Jayross

Also, China only likes N Korea because it acts as a buffer between S Korea and China. Also because they are commie buddies.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theplatypus said:
    " Don't care much for competitive multiplayer. Except in fighting games. And Worms. "
    Aww Battlefield multiplayer is such an experience... You should at least try it hehe... :P
    contagious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By contagious

I only touched the BC2 campain when the MP servers were down on day one, so unless that happens with BF3 I doubt I will even play the campain.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By sameeeeam

I always go singleplayer first.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By Yanngc33

left monitor, singleplayer 
    right monitor, multiplayer 

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i go through SP first in games, except for Battlefield 

i love the mutliplayer so damn much that i'll be playing both SP and MP everyday til the SP ends, and then its just MP
    rflx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By rflx

I usually finish the singleplayer campaign first (unless it's a horrible campaign like Black Ops), but I'm buying the game for the multiplayer.

Danbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Danbo

Mutliplayer. I haven't even started the BC 1 & 2 campaigns yet :/   Same goes for CoD, haven't completed a singleplayer campaign since CoD 2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.