Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

What will be lost in translation? PC to Console

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hoossy

Don't think I'll have the cashola to afford a new pc for this title...  

So I'm wondering what will be lost out on the Console version?  Sure some dynamic lighting... blah blah 

Will destruction still function the same way visually? etc etc

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    1. Player count (PC = 64, possibly 128 with future mods -- Consoles = 24 players) 
    2. Map sizes: 64 player maps on PC, 24 player maps on consoles (BC2 size)
    3. Current gen graphics on consoles, next gen on PC

My personal predictions : 
    • Less powerful jets in console versions because of the map limitations  
    • 5 or 6 man squads on PC, 4 man squads on consoles 
    • a communication tool on PC, like the Commo Rose or a Command List, but 3D spotting only on consoles (like in BC2) 
    • Less destruction magnitude. Meaning the destruction will be more basic and simple on consoles, because the cutting edge destruction we saw on PC supposedly sucks resources like a motherfucker
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By KaosAngel

It's gonna look and play like shit.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hoossy
    @Ahmad_Metallic:  

sounds about right, thanks man    or    woman....   or transgendered.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @hoossy said:
    @Ahmad_Metallic:   sounds about right, thanks man    or    woman....   or transgendered.
    I'm a Zemale 

it's a new sex, still under research 
    hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hoossy
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    @hoossy said:
    @Ahmad_Metallic:   sounds about right, thanks man    or    woman....   or transgendered.
    I'm a Zemale  it's a new sex, still under research 
    It's  cool cause there is a 'Z' in it
    mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By mfpantst
    @KaosAngel: yeah.  ok no.
    withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By withateethuh
    @KaosAngel said:

BC2 plays fantastic on the consoles, but the graphics were definitely poorly optimized, needed some serious AA. I'm sure with this new streaming textures technology it will look better than most modern console games.
    Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Liber

@KaosAngel said:

This.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By HitmanAgent47

yes, it won't look nearly as good as the pc version. When developers makes games on the pc first, it usually looks way better because it's a good use of resource and doesn't let console limitations limit the pc version. More players obviously for multiplayer, that's a given. Higher framerate too, I think the console version might be slightly choppy trying to keep up with the pc version.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Wuddel

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

• 5 or 6 man squads on PC, 4 man squads on consoles

I doubt that very much. Whould imply balance changes etc. The rest seems about right.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By Marz

Less Destruction particle effects and complexity.   Lower texture resolution.  Obviously player count 64 -> 32 players is a huge gap in terms of overall experience between platforms. I dunno but if i was going to be stuck with the console version i would just buy Batman Arkham city instead.   It'd be tough to play Battlefield 3 on something else other than a PC for me personally.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@withateethuh said:

@KaosAngel said:

BC2 plays fantastic on the consoles, but the graphics were definitely poorly optimized, needed some serious AA. I'm sure with this new streaming textures technology it will look better than most modern console games.

Actually, it's the other way around. It plays like arse on console but actually looks ok.

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By ericdrum

It'll play fine on the console with the degradations that Ahmad described above. The biggest issue with the console versions that I had is that servers, at least in BFBC2, did not auto balance. You'd get a string of really lopsided games that you had to quit to get out of. Then half of the time, you'd get thrown right back into that same game when you'd try to rejoin. Also, the console players (maybe due to the lack of server admins) tend to cheese a lot more and not play the game as straight up as most PC players I've encountered. These have been my experiences, putting some decent time into both.

withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By withateethuh
    @SeriouslyNow said:

@withateethuh said:

@KaosAngel said:

Actually, it's the other way around. It plays like arse on console but actually looks ok.

How so? Or is this something to do with the whole "mouse + keyboard >>> controller" thing?
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@withateethuh said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@withateethuh said:

@KaosAngel said:

How so? Or is this something to do with the whole "mouse + keyboard >>> controller" thing?

No more autoaim and lowered framerate. You know, classic console issues in fps games with decent graphics.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By YoThatLimp

You would think people would give up pissing on consoles from upon their superior PC perch for a second.

UncleClassy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By UncleClassy

Everything of value.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Metalideth said:

You would think people would give up pissing on consoles from upon their superior PC perch for a second.

Meanwhile, all PC gamers have been called 'scum' and pirates and elitists for the last few years and that's been OK? Fuck that noise.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Pinworm45
    @SeriouslyNow said:

@Metalideth said:

Meanwhile, all PC gamers have been called 'scum' and pirates and elitists for the last few years and that's been OK? Fuck that noise.

Yep. 

Also don't get how PC gamers are on a perch here. The PC version IS the superior one for this game, there's absolutely no debate about it. They've openly said this is their goal. It is a fact it will have a higher player count, and it's obviously a fact that it will have better graphics and options. 

Doesn't make you a PC fanboy to acknowledge this.
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By korwin

@Pinworm45 said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Metalideth said:

Yep. Also don't get how PC gamers are on a perch here. The PC version IS the superior one for this game, there's absolutely no debate about it. They've openly said this is their goal. It is a fact it will have a higher player count, and it's obviously a fact that it will have better graphics and options. Doesn't make you a PC fanboy to acknowledge this.

Word.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By scarace360
    @Korwin said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Metalideth said:

Yep. Also don't get how PC gamers are on a perch here. The PC version IS the superior one for this game, there's absolutely no debate about it. They've openly said this is their goal. It is a fact it will have a higher player count, and it's obviously a fact that it will have better graphics and options. Doesn't make you a PC fanboy to acknowledge this.

Word.

ya man im tired of being called a pirate and an elitist just cause i like playing on a pc.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By Seppli
    @hoossy

I believe little will be lost in translation. Looking at it within the console space exclusively, it will be the prettiest and most dynamic and best sounding console shooter to date.

Comparatively, consoles will lose playercount and some 'high fidelity' graphical options. 24 players will change the dynamics of gameplay. Higher emphasis on smart and fast movement, less dense frontlines.

It will be great on every platform. Likely gonna get both a PC and console version.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mordukai
    @KaosAngel said:

As a pure console gamer I have to completely...agree with you. The only reason they are even bringing this to consoles is this fucking obsession EA has with Activision and CoD. Console gamers are basically getting a striped down BF3 or BC2.5. Either one will work. I loved BC2 but that game was designed with console in mind and that's why it worked so great on those platforms but this BF3 I have zero desire to buy for my PS3.  

Again this obsession EA has with CoD is unhealthy. 
    HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By HadesTimes

I'm guessing map size and player count. Certainly the graphics are going to be REALLY toned down for consoles. But I think it will still be a fun game. Unless you have a PC capable of running DIRECTX11 at a descent frame rate, I don't think the two are going to be THAT different.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Pinworm45 said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Metalideth said:

Yep.  Also don't get how PC gamers are on a perch here. The PC version IS the superior one for this game, there's absolutely no debate about it. They've openly said this is their goal. It is a fact it will have a higher player count, and it's obviously a fact that it will have better graphics and options.  Doesn't make you a PC fanboy to acknowledge this.
    Actually, it does.. 

You're on Giant Bomb, another hip 2011 gaming website where all the cool cats are rocking their 360s and PS3s.. their hobbies include painting, changing session host mid-game, mocking the Wii, surfing, and automatically calling PC enthusiasts internetly-acceptable words like Elitists, Pirates, Base Dwellers, Trolls and Whiners. 

You think BF3 will run better on PC? Get off your high fucking horse and scrub the floor.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Metalideth said:

Actually, it does.. You're on Giant Bomb, another hip 2011 gaming website where all the cool cats are rocking their 360s and PS3s.. their hobbies include painting, changing session host mid-game, mocking the Wii, surfing, and automatically calling PC enthusiasts internetly-acceptable words like Elitists, Pirates, Base Dwellers, Trolls and Whiners. You think BF3 will run better on PC? Get off your high fucking horse and scrub the floor.

bbbb-bbut DICE is your Fairy Godmother, come to make everything right again.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Funkydupe

The PC version should be everything a PC exclusive game should be. If they need to make alterations to make the game fun on the PS3 or 360, please do so, but leave the PC version alone and I'm sure most people will be happy.

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FireBurger

Either on PC or console, I'm sure the game is going to be awesome, both technically and gameplay wise.

EDIT: I wrote some stuff about it not being a big deal that it is 32 players based on my experience with 32 players in BF2. However, I just realized it's 24 players, so the map boundaries will definitely have to be scaled to accommodate the smaller player-count. That's unfortunate, but if they tailor the maps correctly, I'm sure it will still be fun (I played a lot of BC2 with 24 players).

Graphics-wise, it will definitely be a good step down, but will still probably look better than most if not all current console games. Anything more specific than that is merely speculation at this point as DICE hasn't showed anything of the console versions. Again, I would suspect the destruction would be toned down, but maybe DICE will surprise everyone with some technical magic and pull it off.

Like @Ahmad_Metallic: mentioned, the jets may be slowed down for the smaller map size, but they may not be given how DICE usually gives different boundaries to infantry and jets.

Other than those major things, I'd say everything else would be UI-based, like Ahmad mentioned with the commo rose. In either case, it will be a great game, but the PC version will be the way to go, if possible. I'm personally saving up to upgrade come early October. The last high-end PC I got was to play BF2, so it seems appropriate. :)

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kingzetta

Only things PC elitists care about.

liquidmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#31  Edited By liquidmatt
    @FireBurger said:

Either on PC or console, I'm sure the game is going to be awesome, both technically and gameplay wise.

Isn't this the most important thing? Unless it's ported badly (doesn't seem likely), everyone's gonna be rocking it on whatever platform they want to be, there's no cross-platform play so it's not a case of mouse/keyboard vs controller. Just enjoy the game for what it is guys - a game. 

On a different note, motherfucking game looks sick!
    Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Wuddel

Yeah. Back to topic. So I just read that the squad size will be 4 on the PC as well. At least the alpha version they had running at E3, Source was an article of a guy who played it. Linked from some DICE twitter account I forgot.

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FireBurger

@Wuddel said:

Yeah. Back to topic. So I just read that the squad size will be 4 on the PC as well. At least the alpha version they had running at E3, Source was an article of a guy who played it. Linked from some DICE twitter account I forgot.

Hmm, that seems small. Oh well, they're the ones playtesting it into the ground.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Arker101
    @Seppli said:
    @hoossy:   I believe little will be lost in translation. Looking at it within the console space exclusively, it will be the prettiest and most dynamic and best sounding console shooter to date.  Comparatively, consoles will lose playercount and some 'high fidelity' graphical options. 24 players will change the dynamics of gameplay. Higher emphasis on smart and fast movement, less dense frontlines.  It will be great on every platform. Likely gonna get both a PC and console version.
    Agreed. 
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DonPixel

@Pinworm45: I acknowledge myself as PC Fanboy ->> Damm Proud of It

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By time allen

i'd get this game on pc but i'm not too fond of the smell of burning gpus, so 360 it is. i'm sure it'll be great on all platforms.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By Jayross

It will be BC2 + jets

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38  Edited By StingingVelvet

It's pretty amazing to me that people harp on the graphics so much across all internet forums with this game.  The REAL reason to get the PC version is massive maps and 64 player battles.  Those things will just not be in the console versions, period.  Throw in all the extra functionality the keyboard will likely offer as well as the generally more mature player-base on the PC and you have a MASSIVE difference in the most all-important aspect of a video game: GAMEPLAY.

If you never played the real Battlefield 2 because you're a console gamer I suggest you look into it.  Youtube some videos, read about it, play the game if your computer can handle it.  It's a different world from the console shooters you play now and you just might fall in love with it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.