Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

What will BF3 be like?

Divisionbypr0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Divisionbypr0

Besides playing Battlefield 1942 for the PC briefly during its run as a popular title, the only other Battlefield game I have played is the first Battlefield Bad Company.  With Call of Duty becoming somewhat monotonous, I am looking for something a little different.  I'm hoping for something more team-based, a little slower paced and tactical.  I've heard that Battlefield plays in this way but I figured I'd ask here to see what true fans of the series might be able to tell me for certain.  Also, are there any games currently on the market right now that play in this manner?  I might add that Bad Company was definitely not my style of play. It felt too...unrealistic I guess.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By gamb1t

ITS A FUCKEN BLAST.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Marz

Play some BF2, it's the only way to get any kind of grasp of what battlefield 3 should be like with an updated engine.    Not saying it's going to be exactly like BF2 but people will be disappointed if it doesn't live up to that standard.   Destruction and beautiful graphics can only go so far to make a game appealing.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It'll be like sex.

But better.

Edit:  You may find you like Bad Company 2 if you haven't tried it.  They changed how some stuff in the multiplayer works (unlocks mainly from what I remember) and I like it quite a bit more.

Zoolander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Zoolander
    @Divisionbypr0: What you are saying you want is pretty much what the battlefield series has always offered. I imagine BF3 will be running off similar tech to BC2 (although much improved)  and will have the scope of BF2.
    xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By xpgamer7

If you're looking for slower team based games, try Rainbow six vegas 2 and earlier Socom games.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Divisionbypr0
     Ok, bear with me, bro : 

You open up the Battlefield 3server browser (no matchmaking bullshit), scroll through the hundreds of servers until you find a server you like 
    you chose a server with 62 out of 64 players, on a big 64-player bay map which consists of a big gulf (the PLR area/flags and spawn points), and an american carrier far in the sea (the american spawn point) 

This here is the concept from BF2, but much more fancy looking and detailed in BF3 i'm sure : 

it takes you several MINUTES to  run across a Battlefield map
    it takes you several MINUTES to  run across a Battlefield map

No Caption Provided

The server loaded, you ended up on the american team. You hit the interface button, choose one of these four classes : 

• Assault - using an assault rifle (with a grenade launcher) + you resupply your teammates with ammo 
    • Medic - using a suppressive MG, and you can replenish your teammate's health, and revive fallen teammates (defibrillators) 
    • Engineer - using an SMG, and also a rocket launcher to shoot tanks/shoot down helicopters. you also have a repair tool to fix friendly vehicles 
    • Recon - sniper class. you wear a wookie suit, grab a sniper rifle and a few other cool gadgets like motion mines/ C4/ mortar strikes (artillery)  

Then you open the squad menu, and join any squad you find populated and is doing well point-wise 

Now you can spawn on the carrier and try to catch a jet/helicopter (either as pilot or passenger/gunner), or  spawn at the bottom docking place of the carrier and grab a boat, or spawn on your squad leader wherever he is, or spawn on any US flags on the nearby land (if your teammates captured any, that is) 

Then the epic battle begins. you have 32 men on each team, some dogfighting in jets above your head, some lying on far away hills sniping away, and the rest scattered around the huge ass map, fighting over flags, in tanks, jeeps, quads APCs, and ofcourse on foot..

An enemy just drove by you and went over to the flag where you spawned, you go back there and knife his ass. then grab his car and head to the nearest enemy flag, where you find 11 of your teammates scattered around it suppressing it. you let a friendly sniper rig your car with C4, then you drive it forward and jump out of it just in time for it to explode, blowing up an enemy tank and 2 on-foot enemies. that allows some of your teammates to move forward (you gather around a flag for a few seconds in order to capture it). you were damaged by the C4 attack, and then shot to death, but you allowed your teammates to advance, and thus one of the medics was able to reach you and revive you before it's too late 

you capture the flag, clear the area around it, and find that you just lost two other flags. you guys get in the vehicles available around you, and split,each group going to a different flag 

imagine all that action, happening constantly, and within the technological powerhouse that is Battlefield 3.. the sounds are unprecedentedly realistic and satisfying, the gun kicks in your hand like the real deal, the graphics are simply mindblowing, so stunning you can't look away..  

that was just a taste of the infinite triumph that Battlefield 3 multiplayer is gonna be. i hope i helped! questions ?
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gizmo

Bad Company 2 with bigger maps, jets and better destruction. 

Huge minus however, no modding support. I can't believe the community hasn't made more of a fuss about this. 

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Ahmad_Metallic: I just ruined my fucking basketball shorts, all my Battlefield 1942, BF:2 and Counter-Strike glory days flashed before my eyes like a fever dream or an acid flashback.

I can't fucking wait until August when I build my i7 2600k machine with a 580 card and 8 gigs of RAM.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Doctorchimp said:
    @Ahmad_Metallic: I just ruined my fucking basketball shorts, all my Battlefield 1942, BF:2 and Counter-Strike glory days flashed before my eyes like a fever dream or an acid flashback.  I can't fucking wait until August when I build my i7 2600k machine with a 580 card and 8 gigs of RAM.
    That's the fucking spirit, brother!

I don't think you should get an i7 just for gaming. the i5 sandy bridge has nearly the same performance for much less cash! and i'm going for the 580 myself :)
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gizmo

[quote] Are mods dying off in modern gaming? Yes. But let's not fucking kid ourselves as to the why. It isnt because of popularity in the PC community, its because of pure profit minded assholes who have taken over the gaming industry. I'd fucking hate to see what people like that would have done to true artists like Picasso or Da Vinci or Michelangelo. "Hey dont do a magnificent job, save some of that creativity for the next project so we can charge more for it!"

Here's what it boils down to. No mods? I wont buy it, and neither will my 6 friends. No coop sand box singleplayer? I wont buy it, and neither will my 6 friends. No demo, Ill wait and see if any of my friends pirate it to check it out and make my own decision to purchase it, otherwise... I wont buy it, and neither will my 6 friends. Im the BF nut, and 2 might buy it if I dont, but I doubt it, considering we are having more fun smashing bots in several mods on BF2 and havent touched BFBC2 in months, well, I think we'll find another game.
    [/quote] 

Haven't got the quote text just right, but this is what it boils down to for me. Battlefield 3, without mod support will become stale and boring after a 12 month cycle. Perhaps an even shorter time then that. Most of the fun I got from the 'real' Battlefield games on the PC in the past is from mods. Many people stuck with '42 & BF2 for years, Bad Company 2 got stale and repetitive after what, 2 months or so?

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    @Doctorchimp said:
    @Ahmad_Metallic: I just ruined my fucking basketball shorts, all my Battlefield 1942, BF:2 and Counter-Strike glory days flashed before my eyes like a fever dream or an acid flashback.  I can't fucking wait until August when I build my i7 2600k machine with a 580 card and 8 gigs of RAM.
    That's the fucking spirit, brother! I don't think you should get an i7 just for gaming. the i5 sandy bridge has nearly the same performance for much less cash! and i'm going for the 580 myself :)
    oh dude I know, but I just want to make sure this PC has legs for at least 3 years.

I want to be able to overclock the i7 when I need to for the next generation of crazy graphic cards. Plus I do a lot of video shit for school.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Doctorchimp:  I see.. yeah, good point. Also I wanna futureproof my PC, which is why i'm not rushing the upgrade.. might spend some extra dough for the newer line of CPUs. and SLI-ing my 580 in 3-4 years will keep my ass covered graphics wise
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Ahmad_Metallic: haha, this Ivy Bridge stuff Intel is talking about looks kind of experimental to me so when they announced what they were doing that pretty much cemented it for me the Sandy Bridge was safe.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By natetodamax

It's going to be a modern first person shooter.

Ocean_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Ocean_H
    @Divisionbypr0 said:
    ... With Call of Duty becoming somewhat monotonous, ... I might add that Bad Company was definitely not my style of play. It felt too...unrealistic I guess.

Yet you played CoD up to it became monotonous.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Ocean_H said:
    @Divisionbypr0 said:
    ... With Call of Duty becoming somewhat monotonous, ... I might add that Bad Company was definitely not my style of play. It felt too...unrealistic I guess.
    ...  Yet you played CoD up to it became monotonous.
    good catch
    awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By awe_stuck

Where's the cookie stand? :D

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Wuddel
    @Ahmad_Metallic: I will be getting it. But somehow I still do not see any gameplay innovation over previous titles. It's BF2 with better graphics and sounds and somewhat amped up destruction, as seen in the console games already.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Wuddel said:
    @Ahmad_Metallic: I will be getting it. But somehow I still do not see any gameplay innovation over previous titles. It's BF2 with better graphics and sounds and somewhat amped up destruction, as seen in the console games already.
    Innovation in shooters is much more.. hard to describe than in other genres - other genres like RPGs have a bunch of big obvious elements which can be revolutionized or innovated upon, like character interaction, dialogue, choices and their ramifications, etc.. 

In a shooter, the innovation is much more subtle, and felt through constant gameplay. I really am not in a mood to attempt to explain how i think Battlefield 3 will be a refreshing dish among the other current shooters, it's a mixture of so many things that DICE are gonna polish well and excel at.  
    And we don't even have any details on the actual MP gameplay in real time.. i can tell from the reactions and facial expressions the folks at DICE exhibited in the several interviews i've seen, that they're really bringing something special that's gonna blow us away

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.