Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Where do you want our GB BF3 PC server to be located? [READ FIRST]

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    If both options work for you, vote for C 

Ok guys, soon we're gonna rent a BF3 server for Giant Bomb with 64 slots so we can play on it and be able to change maps and modes as we wish.  
     However, we're unsure whether to rent a US or UK one, or both!  

When we play Bad Company 2, we mostly play on british servers, and both the EU and US players seem to have a good average ping and little to no lag, so we're probably renting a UK one. However, if for some reason the vast majority of GB Bf3 players are american, then of course we'll rent a US server. 

It costs 64$ a month to rent a server, and we'll have at least 200 Giant Bomb players playing the game, so I'm sure if half of us pay 50 cents a month, we'll be able to afford the server easily. If each person pays one dollar, We'll afford two 64p servers and solve this issue. 
    Anyway, for now we're renting one only, so where do you want it, US or UK? 

(If you're willing to donate one or two dollars a month for our GB BF3 server, please say so in your post)

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By mikemcn

I want it in my backyard please.

roughneck117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By roughneck117

Im willing to pay, and I dont care if the server is in the US (EAST COAST), or UK. What do i choose?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @roughneck117 said:

Im willing to pay, and I dont care if the server is in the US (EAST COAST), or UK. What do i choose?

If both work for you, just vote for C. 
    Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Liber

Europe.

I am willing to pay.

Absolute_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Absolute_Zero

@AhmadMetallic: You should add a D with "I want both." I'd pay for a US server, but I'd hate for you folks in the UK to be left out. ;)

Carncarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Carncarn

US, but I'd be willing to donate for 2 servers. Shout outs to Europe.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By Marz

I'd only play on servers on the west coast of the united states.   An east coast or european server pretty much guarantees me not to participate in any community events.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Marz said:
    I'd only play on servers on the west coast of the united states.   An east coast or european server pretty much guarantees me not to participate in any community events.
    Bad internet? 
    groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By groin

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Marz said:
    I'd only play on servers on the west coast of the united states. An east coast or european server pretty much guarantees me not to participate in any community events.
    Bad internet?

Doctor Ahmad Metallic, all internet communications have a two-way travel time which is called latency. Latency reduces the responsiveness of your inputs. You could have a 1000 terabit connection but you will still experience latency. Typically, most people can tolerate < 50 ms of latency which is usually not a problem if the server is nearby. If you try to connect from overseas then you will have at least 150ms of latency which is far from optimal.

thornie_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By thornie_delete

US server, and have no problems paying whatsoever.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pinworm45

Only interested in East Coast servers myself - preferably New York.

Can donate a few bucks

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @groin said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Marz said:
    I'd only play on servers on the west coast of the united states. An east coast or european server pretty much guarantees me not to participate in any community events.
    Bad internet?

Doctor Ahmad Metallic, all internet communications have a two-way travel time which is called latency. Latency reduces the responsiveness of your inputs. You could have a 1000 terabit connection but you will still experience latency. Typically, most people can tolerate < 50 ms of latency which is usually not a problem if the server is nearby. If you try to connect from overseas then you will have at least 150ms of latency which is far from optimal.

Doctor Slow, I live in Israel and I do fine on US servers. We play BC2 every week and we have both americans and europeans playing on US/UK servers with good/OK pings and little to no lag..  

A person living on the west coast and saying that he won't participate on an east coast server, is probably someone with shitty internet. That's what I asked him.
    groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By groin

@AhmadMetallic said:

@groin said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Marz said:
    Bad internet?

Doctor Slow, I live in Israel and I do fine on US servers. We play BC2 every week and we have both americans and europeans playing on US/UK servers with good/OK pings and little to no lag.. A person living on the west coast and saying that he won't participate on an east coast server, is probably someone with shitty internet. That's what I asked him.

Doctor Ahmad Metallic, "good/OK" pings is highly subjective. That's fine if you can tolerate high latency. People complain about 8 ms response time on LCD monitors so some people are more sensitive to it. In a slow-paced boring games like the BF series then fast reaction times don't matter. Latencies above 50 ms are unplayable for me.

xdaknightx69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xdaknightx69

would love to play with the GB peeps , but my location permits on servers in Europe or Asia region coz i have like 500+ping with north america based hosts and get kicked out .

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @groin said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@groin said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Marz said:
    Bad internet?

Doctor Slow, I live in Israel and I do fine on US servers. We play BC2 every week and we have both americans and europeans playing on US/UK servers with good/OK pings and little to no lag.. A person living on the west coast and saying that he won't participate on an east coast server, is probably someone with shitty internet. That's what I asked him.

Doctor Ahmad Metallic, "good/OK" pings is highly subjective. That's fine if you can tolerate high latency. People complain about 8 ms response time on LCD monitors so some people are more sensitive to it. In a slow-paced boring games like the BF series then fast reaction times don't matter. Latencies above 50 ms are unplayable for me.

Well then, I guess I was waiting for Marz to tell me whether he's ms intolerant or whether his internet is shit, but you had to interfere for some reason :)
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By iamjohn

@groin said:

In a slow-paced boring games like the BF series

Wat.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@RiotBananas said:

We should wait to see if the GB/Tested guys set one up like they did for TF2.

I already spoke with Will Smith and Jeff and have their permission to rent the "official" GB/Tested server as long as I loan it to them for TNTs and such.

I voted US, obviously, since mine will be in the US. If we're getting two from EOReality it makes sense the other be in the UK.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Doctorchimp

@AhmadMetallic said:

@groin said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Marz said:
    Bad internet?

No Caption Provided

I live in Southern California, but even with my internet I don't think I'd have much fun sticking it out on a UK server. Especially if people have less than ideal speeds around me and I'm seeing them lag and chug all over the place.

I say place it in the East Coast, West Coast has to travel the country and the UK travels the Atlantic.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Marz
    @AhmadMetallic said:

@Marz said:

Bad internet? 
    yes, i live in rural arizona.  Best ping time is to LA at about 60 ping, I can play on midwest servers at about 100 ping, east coast  and beyond is over 200 which is kind of unnacceptable. 

not so much bad internet, it's the only internet available here. 

I get worse results within my own state lol.
    And this is just New York where you guys probably are thinking of getting a server.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@Doctorchimp said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@groin said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Marz said:
    Bad internet?

No Caption Provided

I live in Southern California, but even with my internet I don't think I'd have much fun sticking it out on a UK server. Especially if people have less than ideal speeds around me and I'm seeing them lag and chug all over the place.

I say place it in the East Coast, West Coast has to travel the country and the UK travels the Atlantic.

This is what we're planning on currently. New York, to be specific. If we get a second server it will likely be London.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By butano

I'd prefer US, but I have a crap connection, being out in the boonies of California and all. I'd be down for a buck for 2 servers also.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Marz:

Jeez...how's the price on that?

Them being the only internet in town I can't imagine it being reasonable even with those speeds.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gizmo

I voted for Europe, but in a ideal world we have both European and U.S servers and donate.

I'd be up for donating a buck or two a month if the ping/latency is good for me and the server rules/admins are agreeable.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New Zealand please

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Marz
    @Doctorchimp said:

@Marz:

Them being the only internet in town I can't imagine it being reasonable even with those speeds.

55$ a month bundled with a landline phone service.  7mb is the highest speed in this area, but there's obviously better speeds in Phoenix and Tucson areas, my ISP specifically has Fiber optic in the big cities which go up to 40mb/s download.  They also have Cox and Comcast cable in other areas but not mine :(
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AlexW00d

Hey can we have it in Spain? In CSS I get like 5 ping on Spanish servers :D

StickyW3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By StickyW3b

Madagascar please!

Tactless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Tactless

I voted c since I don't care

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By iamjohn

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

This is what we're planning on currently. New York, to be specific. If we get a second server it will likely be London.

I live in New York, so I would not be opposed to this.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DystopiaX

AMURICA

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Branthog

I was actually planning on setting up a GB server, too (it's only about $85/mo for 64 slots), so good tos ee this is already being planned.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By scarace360

im willing to chip in for the GB BF3 server and i would like it if it was in the US. I bet 2 months after it launches the GB server will be empty.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Subjugation

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

@RiotBananas said:

I already spoke with Will Smith and Jeff and have their permission to rent the "official" GB/Tested server as long as I loan it to them for TNTs and such.

I voted US, obviously, since mine will be in the US. If we're getting two from EOReality it makes sense the other be in the UK.

Hopefully they were a little more diplomatic than that. Telling you that you have their permission to foot the monthly bill for a server as long as you loan it to them for TNT seems like they are hesitant to enter into a total win/win situation for them. It shouldn't be an "I guess so ..." thing, they should be thanking you. Just like everyone else who plans to use the server should be thanking you.

Edit: I didn't vote, but from the west coast I ping 99ms to New York, NY and 165ms to London.

OverLord00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By OverLord00

US, want to donate. TAKE MY MONEY DAMNITTTTTTT

Bigrhyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bigrhyno

Unless I can get a decent ping on a UK server, I am only interested in a US server.

l3roken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By l3roken

@AhmadMetallic: It may also be in relation to the timezone difference? I know on the east coast I miss out on a lot of things because of the time change. Assuming we did things in the evening on an east coast server it would be pushing it super later for him so that may be his concern?

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Subjugation

@l3roken: I wouldn't think server location would effect what time they hold Bombing Runs, just the ping of the participants. I think they'll probably have a set time for the events regardless of the server being in the US or the UK. Until he responds we can't really know what his issue is though.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Marz said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@Marz:

55$ a month bundled with a landline phone service. 7mb is the highest speed in this area, but there's obviously better speeds in Phoenix and Tucson areas, my ISP specifically has Fiber optic in the big cities which go up to 40mb/s download. They also have Cox and Comcast cable in other areas but not mine :(

Wow...

That's how much I pay for mine.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@Subjugation said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

@RiotBananas said:

Hopefully they were a little more diplomatic than that. Telling you that you have their permission to foot the monthly bill for a server as long as you loan it to them for TNT seems like they are hesitant to enter into a total win/win situation for them. It shouldn't be an "I guess so ..." thing, they should be thanking you. Just like everyone else who plans to use the server should be thanking you.

Edit: I didn't vote, but from the west coast I ping 99ms to New York, NY and 165ms to London.

Nah, I didn't mean for it to be taken that way haha. They were more than diplomatic lol. Will was super nice and said they thought it would be awesome to get a community server going, and asked if they could use it for TNT. I was merely pointing out that I didn't want to go ahead with it until I got the go-ahead from them, since they may have been renting a server.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By mosdl

Someone needs to build a cloud gaming server service. Load it on demand, have it set in the US/UK depending on the time of day.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Mirado

@Rolyatkcinmai: That's great to here. I already talked to AhmadMetallic over Steam, but I'll repost it so I stick to my word: I'm happy to toss in for the servers.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Contro

The UK, it's tried and trusted.

Xyber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Xyber

I would prefer a server in London, but one in New York will be just fine.

This is my results from Sweden and 96 in ping ain't that bad.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Branthog

It seems that as cheap as gaming servers are to rent these days (to the point that building a custom server and doing it all at a colo isn't even worth it any more), you might as well just have a server in the midwest or west coast and another in the UK. (Unless these services actually suck -- the last time I ran a server was when I built a CS server a few years ago, so have never used one of these). I mean, surely there are 20 people in the US and 20 in the UK that are willing to spend like $4/mo each to have a decent server with a decent community to play on regularly? Hell, I'd be willing to foot at least $20 or $40/mo for one in the states, if it was necessary.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@groin said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Marz said:
    Bad internet?

Have you never actually played BC2 on an international connection? BF:BC2 works fine with up to 300ms, I know this because I regularly play on US servers and I'm Australian. BF:BC2 isn't Counterstrike, the game isn't held back by a fucking awful netcode implementation (see : Counterstrike) therefore we don't need 50ms to enjoy the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.