Why are the updates so large?

#1 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Most game's patches are like 20mb or less, and yet it seems everytime I go a month without playing Battlefield there's a 2gb update it says I need.

So I'm downloading yet another 1.79gb update now, and my girlfriend's internet is pretty slow (I'm at her house until I fly home Monday) so it's only at 22% after an hour...which means I probably won't play (she's at work right now). What could possibly take 1.79gb? Are they adding new maps or something? (I only own the Karkland pack)..... wtf am I downloading?

#2 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

That game is weird man. I hate origin so I only played like 4 hours. But yeah I heard the big updates = map packs.

#3 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1224 posts) -

Besides the weapon balance changes the only guess I have is all the new weapons from the map packs so everyone can still play together. But I don't know if that alone takes up all the gigabytes.

#4 Posted by big_jon (5709 posts) -

Maps?

#5 Posted by laserbolts (5311 posts) -

It is an odd way of doing it if you are downloading the dlc maps. When you buy the dlc you only have to download the unlock or whatever? Most other games you download the maps when you buy them. I had to download that huge update yesterday.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.