Why is there lens flare in BF3?

• 61 results
#1 Posted by MrOldboy (870 posts) -

After watching some footage of the campaign my head began to melt. Why is there lens flare present? Are we seeing the game through a head mounted camera or something? I thought we we supposed to be seeing the game through the character's eyes. Or am I missing something? I've played zero of the single player so perhaps there is a story conceit for it. The marketing material all has had a digital distortion style to it, so maybe there is a story conceit for it. But as far as I know the single player is shown as flashbacks and we are shown this via the first person perspective of the character's eyes and not through any type of camera lens. Our eyes can also produce flares, but not the kind seen in BF3, at least my eyes have never experienced this type.

I was fine with the lens flare in ME2 since the visuals weren't being presented through the character's eyes. For all we know ME2 was a sci-fi TV series and had a floating robot cameraman behind Shepard the whole time.

Is the visual flair worth more than keeping to the reality of the presented material? Or is the lens flare appropriate in the context of the story? I remember my friends bitching about the lens flair in Star Trek, but at least one could argue that we were seeing the film through a camera and not eyeballs, even if the flares were digitally added I'll try to not think about it when playing, but its hard not to think about it when its as prominent as it is BF3.

Is DICE going for something more with this? Are we supposed to be a seeing the game in more of a film context, that we are not creating the scene, we are watching it? Or does it just look awesome and therefore who gives a shit.

#2 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -

They look cool. That's really all there is to it.

#3 Posted by AlexW00d (6433 posts) -

Maybe he has contact lenses in?

#4 Posted by Ghostiet (5315 posts) -

There's lens flare because it's cool and because it's the best way to represent being blinded by light we know.

#5 Posted by MrOldboy (870 posts) -

@AlexW00d: I wonder if that would create a legitimate flare. Also what about the sunglasses? Can they create a flare, or aren't they supposed to prevent that, arghh my head.

#6 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1789 posts) -

Fuck you non-glasses wearing people.

#7 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

VIDJAGAIMZ!

#8 Posted by Sogeman (878 posts) -

Because it looks cool.

#9 Edited by MrOldboy (870 posts) -

@W0lfbl1tzers: I wear glasses for some things. Class if I sit far, driving. but I dont ever get the type of lens flare seen in BF3. More of a sun burst effect, never the weird banding that's in the BF3 screenshot. What do they look like to you?

#10 Posted by AlexW00d (6433 posts) -

@MrOldboy said:

@AlexW00d: I wonder if that would create a legitimate flare. Also what about the sunglasses? Can they create a flare, or aren't they supposed to prevent that, arghh my head.

I was joking, I doubt it as they aren't glass. I dunno. But my glasses do it even though they have a anti glare coating.

#11 Posted by Branthog (5597 posts) -

Frankly, this is the least of it. Try being a super special forces BF3 dude with all sorts of spec-ops tinted sunglasses or tinted face masks . . . but blinded the fuck out of your god damn mind from a flash light attachment on a gun . . . from half a mile away . . . in fucking broad daylight.

#12 Posted by Hunkulese (2877 posts) -

@MrOldboy: I'm guessing this is your first videogame.

#13 Posted by withateethuh (726 posts) -

It may not be realistic, but being blinded by light actually adds a cool dynamic to the single player.

#14 Posted by FritzDude (2273 posts) -

It's just effects that will "enhance" the overall viewing experience to look more dramatic and real. Just ask Michael Bay.

#15 Posted by hoossy (939 posts) -

@MrOldboy:

you are reading waayyyyyy too much into this. It looks awesome, plain and simple.

#16 Posted by Nurve (125 posts) -

Because shiny.

#17 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@MrOldboy said:

I was joking, I doubt it as they aren't glass. I dunno. But my glasses do it even though they have a anti glare coating.

My glasses do it too and it's one of the many reasons I fucking hate wearing glasses.

#18 Edited by MooseyMcMan (11390 posts) -

You play as a robot.

Edit: You know, I think questioning things like this is like questioning why first person games always seems like you're playing as someone with one eye (or only one eye open). Or why in most FPSs you play as just a couple arms (though I think BF3 features legs). VIDEO GAMES!

#19 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

You play as a robot.

SPOILERS!

That reminds me. What happened to the spoiler button? I have to switch to parchment v1 now if I want to use the spoiler thing.

#20 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Because Hollywood. That's why.

#21 Posted by lead_farmer (1041 posts) -

J.J. Abrams loves Battlefield

#22 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11390 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

You play as a robot.

SPOILERS!

That reminds me. What happened to the spoiler button? I have to switch to parchment v1 now if I want to use the spoiler thing.

I was joking.

OR WAS I?!?!

#23 Posted by ajamafalous (12147 posts) -

Is this the only game you've seen in the last five years?

#24 Posted by Maluvin (269 posts) -

When you join the military they take out your eyes and replace them with cameras.

#25 Posted by Swoxx (3008 posts) -

A lot of people have already said it, because it looks cool. I think you're over thinking it.

#26 Edited by Wacomole (836 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

You play as a robot.

SPOILERS!

In Parchment v2...

The spoiler is under the MORE button to the right...>>

#27 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@MoleyUK said:

@CL60 said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

You play as a robot.

SPOILERS!

In Parchment v2...

I DIDN"T EVEN SEE THAT BUTTON, HOLY SHIT!

#28 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11390 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@MoleyUK said:

@CL60 said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

You play as a robot.

SPOILERS!

In Parchment v2...

Also, the white out spoilers don't work once someone has quoted them, because it changes the color of the text, but not the white box.

#29 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2690 posts) -

Mainly because it's just another visual look. I like having it there even if it's not realistic.

#30 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

@CL60 said:

@MoleyUK said:

@CL60 said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

You play as a robot.

SPOILERS!

In Parchment v2...

Also, the white out spoilers don't work once someone has quoted them, because it changes the color of the text, but not the white box.

That should be fixed.

#31 Posted by Swoxx (3008 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

@CL60 said:

@MoleyUK said:

@CL60 said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

You play as a robot.

SPOILERS!

In Parchment v2...

#32 Posted by ReVamp (28 posts) -

I think its looks pretty good and that's all there really is to it :P

#33 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@Swoxx said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@CL60 said:

@MoleyUK said:

@CL60 said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

You play as a robot.

SPOILERS!

In Parchment v2...

Yeah, it kinda of fucking sucks

#34 Posted by Harbinger_Of_Hippos (224 posts) -

Because men.

#35 Posted by MrOldboy (870 posts) -

The main reason the flare bothers me more so in this game compared to othre releases is the way the game has been pushed as the most realistic looking shooter/game ever. It breaks the illusion for me. Guess others dont seem to mind it. Why I posted, so I could find out what others think.

#36 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

I don't know about you guys but I've certainly experienced flares like that in real life. Sometimes if it's super wet and rainy or my eyes get adjusted to the dark and then I see a car's headlights blaring at me I might experience this. It's not something we really think about or can recall the look of but I'm sure it does actually happen. I think it looks great.

#37 Posted by Meptron (1113 posts) -

no AR coating on his glasses.

#38 Posted by GS_Dan (1397 posts) -

Why does Mass Effect have film grain? Because it's fucking awesome, that's why. :3

#39 Posted by mpgeist (643 posts) -

Dice helped bioware with sound design. Bioware helped Dice with lens flaring. There you go.

#40 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

To reduce the effectiveness of snipers

#41 Posted by Zelyre (1275 posts) -

We don't see lens flares with our regular eyes. We also don't see our world in a 60 FOV.

But really, they look pretty. People like looking at pretty things. Maybe your soldier wears glasses. Maybe there's a shield in front of his visor.

Maybe the mutant ability to let you take multiple bullet hits and regenerate health has a side effect of lens-flaritis. This might be more serious than boss-eyedness. Maybe we need to start up a sexy calender, with each month sexier than the last!

#42 Posted by benpicko (2005 posts) -

If this is the first FPS game that you have ever seen lens flare in, I command you to play more FPS's.

#43 Posted by Toms115 (2317 posts) -

because that just makes sense, ok. deal with it.

#44 Posted by BigBrobawski (29 posts) -

Seems realistic to me, or as realistic as it can be to represent being blinded by lights. There's a reason for the undersling attachment of flashlights in the game. It adds an interesting dynamic.

#45 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Because JJ is directing

#46 Posted by Mikemcn (7018 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@MrOldboy said:

My contact lenses make bright lights look a little flare-y

#47 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1133 posts) -

@Zelyre: Oh god... the Sexy Calendar for Boss-eyedness... I remember it in all its reveling horror...

#48 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1602 posts) -

Cause Lens Flare looks awesome and is very, very dumb. It's like the visual form of Wobble Bass.

#49 Edited by CitizenKane (10508 posts) -

Same reason Sam Fisher's night vision goggles light up, even though real night vision goggles don't produce any light (it would kinda defeat the point). It's just to add more immersion into the game for the player.

#50 Posted by DonPixel (2627 posts) -

To promote internet discussion & debate

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.