why open door with your...back?

#1 Edited by sate2801 (343 posts) -

so I played the first few campaign mission last weekend

I saw numerous times the AI teammates push open doors with their back

ain't that kinda dangerous thing to do? if someone is behind the door won't they get shot in the back or something?

any tactical duders can enlight me on this? thanks

#2 Posted by SarjuTheRapper (279 posts) -

I don't know. I haven't even played the game yet. 

But damn it! now im curious

#3 Edited by MrKlorox (11186 posts) -

Wouldn't it be so they could check the wall to the side as the door opens while a squadmate covers the front? If they just pushed it open then walked in, dudes hiding flat against the side wall would be alerted and have the entrance in their sights by the time your squad was seen, right? I dunno.

#4 Posted by Twistation (20 posts) -

Scientists have discovered that the human back provides as much natural protection as a flak jacket.

#5 Posted by ShaggE (5982 posts) -

Ever stub your finger reaching for a doorknob quickly and without thinking? Fucking hurts. And in vidjamagame world, "fucking hurts" is the equivalent of about 5 HP.

#6 Posted by BigChickenDinner (766 posts) -

Opening the door with your back and being the first one in is the dumbest most Hollywood Rambo bullshit you could over think of. The most dangerous area is directly in front of the door, this is because when you are going through the door way you are moving perpendicualer to the supposed gunman's face, right in his sights. However as you breech a doorway you are moving laterally or diagonally to a gunmen,if he stands in the corner of the room.In other words, a moving target. However, you should be clearing the front of the door before you even enter, knowing its clear your free to worry about the corners. Going in back first means you only have clear 1/4 of the room, maybe 1/2. Also being the first one in, if anyone is in there you'll not be able to shoot them, because your weapon will be pointed at the ground.

#7 Posted by MB (11297 posts) -

You're also talking about a video game which features such things as jumping out of a plane, sniping the pilot of the plane that was chasing you, then jumping into that plane and continuing to fly.

Moderator Online
#8 Posted by Patman99 (1543 posts) -

@MB said:

You're also talking about a video game which features such things as jumping out of a plane, sniping the pilot of the plane that was chasing you, then jumping into that plane and continuing to fly.

You mean you HAVENT done that in real life? I am disappointed.

#9 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Actually, it makes a lot of sense. Flak jackets are most heavily armoured in the back and your squadmates are meant to be eyes forward for you while you open the door. Army training, especially special assault, is all about eye contact and hand gestures.

#10 Posted by MB (11297 posts) -

@SeriouslyNow said:

Actually, it makes a lot of sense. Flak jackets are most heavily armoured in the back and your squadmates are meant to be eyes forward for you while you open the door. Army training, especially special assault, is all about eye contact and hand gestures.

Allow me to dispel some myths. Not to be a dick, but it's clear you have no idea what you are talking about and absolutely no military experience outside of video games. I however, do, and I can tell you that under no circumstances ever would someone open a door with their back. It simply does not happen, it's an invention of this video game with no basis in reality. Furthermore, body armor is definitely NOT more heavily armored in the back compared to the front. Almost all modern systems have removable hard and soft plates that are replaced after a strike, and both front and rear plates are the same size and the same thickness.

Moderator Online
#11 Edited by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

So it's easier for a 12 year old to stick a knife in it and call you a "Fag" and/or "Noob".

#12 Posted by Village_Guy (2405 posts) -

Now I haven't played the campaign in a while, so forgive if I remember it wrongly. But doesn't they kick the door in while their back is turned to it and then quickly sidesteps out of the doorframe so they are behind something?

Maybe that was a different modern military shooter? Whatever game it was, I do remember seeing it in multiple games.

#13 Posted by DJJoeJoe (1291 posts) -

It looks cool, who cares about the 'reasoning' for why it happens in video games. What should bother you is how often you get hit with bullets when shooting at other people, while taking little to no damage, causing your screen to 'blur' and the sound of a bullet hit and that's it.

#14 Posted by m16mojo2 (282 posts) -

Slice the pie. I actually learned something from a video game.

And no, you don't go in ass first...

#15 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1543 posts) -

@DJJoeJoe said:

It looks cool, who cares about the 'reasoning' for why it happens in video games. What should bother you is how often you get hit with bullets when shooting at other people, while taking little to no damage, causing your screen to 'blur' and the sound of a bullet hit and that's it.

The twist is you're the only person with live rounds, everyone else is using rubber bullets.

#16 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2071 posts) -

Clearly the AI is just bugged and is all backwards

#17 Posted by Enigma777 (6047 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

Ever stub your finger reaching for a doorknob quickly and without thinking? Fucking hurts. And in vidjamagame world, "fucking hurts" is the equivalent of about 5 HP.

No. Never. I don't even know how you would do something like that.

#18 Posted by I_smell (3926 posts) -

It would actually be really funny if it was a glitch, but all the animation team just went "oh, huh, that's weird. I wonder why they do that!"

#19 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

But jam on screen that slowly regens as long as you hide for a bit? That shit's realistic as all hell.

#20 Posted by believer258 (11043 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

Yeah, but in this video game a loss of 5 HP is quickly given back to you by your Wolverine-like healing factor.

#21 Posted by fox01313 (5033 posts) -

Don't remember seeing this with the single player but will go after the rest of those missions (been finding other games to dive into lately), apart from the bugged AI, the only possibly wrong idea I can thing of is that some of your squad might have tons of gear in a backpack so with that any armor plating could slow some bullets down if they are using wimpy pistols (small caliber) or someone shooting a shotgun loaded with rock salt. Curious to see this myself in the BF3 single player as it just seems highly wrong idea for a game developer to have. Guess the idea of having the squad in the single player part of the game running around in safety bright orange construction vests (so you can find them better during the gunfights) was declined.

#22 Posted by RedCream (704 posts) -

Cause Yippie ki yay Motherf**ker

#23 Posted by kindgineer (2485 posts) -

There are obviously some militarily intelligent/experienced people in here trying to explain this. I however, would like to point out that this is a video game. If we are going to bitch about going into a room with your back, than we need to to bitch about regenerating health, repairing vehicles that just took a couple of missiles to it's side with a repair "gun," and numerous other things that break realism.

Good lord.

#24 Posted by commodore64 (111 posts) -

@ccampb89 said:

There are obviously some militarily intelligent/experienced people in here trying to explain this. I however, would like to point out that this is a video game. If we are going to bitch about going into a room with your back, than we need to to bitch about regenerating health, repairing vehicles that just took a couple of missiles to it's side with a repair "gun," and numerous other things that break realism.

Good lord.

There are people who think they'll do well in the army because they play a lot of Call Of Duty. I'm not joking.

#25 Posted by ShaggE (5982 posts) -

@Enigma777 said:

@ShaggE said:

No. Never. I don't even know how you would do something like that.

*psst* That's the joke...

#26 Posted by benspyda (1898 posts) -

@ccampb89 said:

Good lord.

Although the the multiplayer and singleplayer should really be judged separately, it still pretty much upfront with the train scene said we aren't going for realism, just a crappy ripped off version of a COD campaign.

#27 Edited by Mikemcn (6875 posts) -

Because it isn't Call of Duty and they couldn't have him use an M1 Abrams to batter it down while a squadron of 6000 fighterplanes fly overhead and drop napalm for dramatic effect (Though Call of duty 9 should try that), they wanted to pretend it was realistic so I guess they decided to have him open it with his back. Later on in that mission they also cross between two 5+ story apartment buildings on a 2x4. I wouldn't think too much about Battlefield 3's campaign, it's all blehhh. Fortunately they left doors out of the multiplayer, maybe that's why I love the online, NO DOORS!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.