Worth getting into now?

#1 Posted by jupham (22 posts) -

I just upgraded my PC and I've always like the battlefield games is it worth getting into this game now? I'm not super competitive and like to just have fun when playing. Does the community still include more casual players or is it just the hardcore people left? Thanks.

#2 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

No.

#3 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Just jump in. There's always bad players to shoot so you won't be alone and you'll find plenty to kill.

#4 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

Based off what it sounds like Vinny and his family still play, I believe people still play. People were playing BF2 forever.

#5 Posted by jupham (22 posts) -

Thanks, I'll give it a shot, especially considering that gamestop has the premium edition for $40

#6 Posted by wemibelec90 (1500 posts) -

I would advise getting your feet wet in some smaller (32 players or less) deathmatch games. This will let you get used to the shooting (controlling recoil is VERY important) without the pressure of an objective.

#7 Posted by believer258 (11570 posts) -

Absolutely, I just now re-downloaded it and jumped back in.

#8 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2408 posts) -

Absolutely, but you'll get ALOT more out of it if you have friends to play with.

#9 Posted by beeftothetaco (419 posts) -

Don't. Spend your money on a good competitive multiplayer game, like Chivalry.

#10 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

@beeftothetaco said:

Different genres entirely, at least say something like MW3 or BLOPS2 or CSGO. Tons of other competitive FPS PC shooters out there.

#11 Posted by beeftothetaco (419 posts) -

@Subject2Change said:

@beeftothetaco said:

Different genres entirely, at least say something like MW3 or BLOPS2 or CSGO. Tons of other competitive FPS PC shooters out there.

Lol calm down. In that case, I would recommend RO 2, BF:1942 (free on Origin!) or even Bad Company 1 or 2. If you don't mind a little Sim with your shooters, I also recommend ARMA 2. It has one of the most dedicated and creative mod communities out there.

#12 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

@beeftothetaco said:

@Subject2Change said:

@beeftothetaco said:

Lol calm down. In that case, I would recommend RO 2, BF:1942 (free on Origin!) or even Bad Company 1 or 2. If you don't mind a little Sim with your shooters, I also recommend ARMA 2. It has one of the most dedicated and creative mod communities out there.

SUPER UPSET!

#13 Posted by GS_Dan (1401 posts) -

@jupham said:

Thanks, I'll give it a shot, especially considering that gamestop has the premium edition for $40

Premium Edition is definitely worth it.

#14 Posted by Funkydupe (3306 posts) -

Worth it? The game is really cheap and it is a better quality game than the CoDs put together. Sure its been out a while. The graphics still hold up and the sound design is top notch. You decide.

#15 Posted by SubwayD (472 posts) -

I stopped playing BF3 around the time they introduced the Premium service. Is it worth going back to the game if you don't plan on spending any money on map-packs or subscriptions?

#16 Posted by LTSmash (598 posts) -

I imagine lots of people will be playing Battlefield 3 until Battlefield 4 comes out. A good thing to do early on is just play as the Assault class and focus on reviving teammates. You don't necessarily rack up kills, but you'll get plenty of XP.

#17 Posted by Gruff182 (851 posts) -

Anytime is good on the PC theres plenty of servers and upgrades come pretty quick for any skill level.

Played BF2 a few months back that still had plenty of choice.

If you dont own the game, look around for the premium edition, it comes with all the content at a decent price.

If you''re having a bad time just find a different server.

#18 Posted by Fink (99 posts) -

Sorry to high jack, but would you rather play this, or Planet Side 2?

#19 Edited by sandweed (156 posts) -

I'd say Planetside is better for the vehicle loving player, the gunplay in PS2 is terrible compared to BF3. This is of course just my opinion, I have 900hours logged in BF3 so I might be biased.

#20 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -

@beeftothetaco said:

@Subject2Change said:

@beeftothetaco said:

Ewww.... Bad Company 1 & 2 were the worst games in the Battlefield series.

#21 Posted by fox01313 (5061 posts) -

Seems that there's enough people playing the game still that should be worth diving into.

#22 Posted by mikey87144 (1649 posts) -

If you search around you can probably get the Prmium edition of BF3 for less than $35

#23 Posted by SharkEthic (1003 posts) -

@Subject2Change said:

@beeftothetaco said:

@Subject2Change said:

@beeftothetaco said:

SUPER UPSET!

Restrain yourself, sir!!!

#24 Posted by VanderSEXXX (552 posts) -

yep jump right in. Add me in the Battlelog. ID: VanderSEXX

#25 Posted by jebara (64 posts) -

@JerichoBlyth said:

No.

#26 Posted by ectoplasma (960 posts) -

@jupham:So how did your experiment turn out? I'm asking myself the exact same question right now.

#27 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

@ectoplasma: I just bought the premium version on a whim (never played a BF but wanted a multiplayer FPS to go with my new PC. There are definitely people playing, but I have no idea what's happening. I think I need to start with deathmatches. Just need to figure out how... Add me anyone. camcammycamcam.

#28 Posted by JoshS (409 posts) -

My question is, are there a fair number of servers that are still running for people without DLC?

#29 Posted by Funkydupe (3306 posts) -

@joshs: I've never not been able to play Battlefield 3 on a server with good pingage when I've felt like playing. I'm not a Premium player.

#30 Edited by JoshS (409 posts) -

Awesome. Thanks!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.