Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Your opinion on faction specific weaponry?

• 62 results
    MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#51  Edited By MightyDuck

I think it'll be nice to see different factions getting different guns.

I was always partial to that in the earlier Socom games. Seals/Terrorists would get different gun types, but then also have different advantages and chokepoints on different parts of the map. I'm all for that type of gameplay.

Kasswara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Kasswara

I approve of it, it gives that faction more of a personality.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#53  Edited By Tennmuerti

Somewhere between A and B. I like shooting dudes. It seems neat. I don't mind.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#54  Edited By Seppli

@mikeeegeee said:

Okay, this thread is all well and good, but nobody has mentioned the strategic value of faction specific weapons.

They make different sounds. It's just one more way to quickly form a conclusion about whether or not you're coming up on friendlies or the enemy. In my experience with faction specific weapons and a lack of radar/HUD elements, the sound of a weapon can be a great tool in this regard.

As an aside: Many times on Pavlov in Call of Duty 1, I'd be looking out the window with my Kar98k only to hear a Mosin Nagant being fired in the room next door. Alarm bells, man.

That's why there's HUD markers for all friendlies. From my experience, most are blissfully unawares of tracer rounds and muzzle flash and directional sound giving away vital intel. I get called cheater quite often because of my above average awareness.

'How could you have known? Cheater!'... well, you make an awful lot of noise for one. Then you shoot tracers. And you went loud for like 10 seconds... do you think I'm deaf and blind and dumb or what?

There's more than enough feedback to give away threats. In the thick of it, so few would make out a faction specific weapon in the sea of all faction weapons for it to deliver viable intel. Dismissed.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By emergency

It's modern times, I'm ok with every side having every weapon. It's not like it's WW2.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#56  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @emergency said:

It's modern times, I'm ok with every side having every weapon. It's not like it's WW2.

To me it isn't about realism as much as it is about the factions actually being different for a reason.  It's a minor thing, doesn't mean it doesn't matter. Being on a certain team and going "Oh, US, i get to use the M4 today" is a really significant little thing to feel. Also as someone said, when only your enemy can use a certain guns, when you hear them nearby you know there's an enemy using them.. Each gun has it's own characteristics, including sound.
    infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By infininja

@AhmadMetallic: I'd probably be ok with factions being different for no reason.

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By Potter9156

@Pinworm45 said:

I'm extremely picky about what weapons I use. I straight up quit games if I'm put on a stupid team that has dumb AK47s.

I want to be able to choose my weapon, I don't care if it's not realistic. Neither are self repairing tanks.

Agreed. I like having options. I don't care if the two factions have weapons that are statistically identical, I just like having different gun models to choose from. One of the many things I hated about OP:Dragon Rising was the faction specific weapons. USA had good looking and sounding guns, while whatever the opposing side had were ugly and sounded terrible. So everyone always went USA and I would get stuck with the crap guns.

SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By SammydesinasNL

Once you become a high enough level you can use the other faction's weapons.

CounterShock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By CounterShock

Doesn't matter. The starting guns are going to be the same stat wise. It's just cosmetic. After you get passed those beginning weapons it's back to everyone gets everything.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#61  Edited By Ben_H

I approve, if only because it's like BF2. Then I can use my M16 as medic like in BF2 <3<3. That was the best gun in the game, especially in single shot mode. It was a scopeless sniper rifle.

Avatar image for farbelowaverage
    Farbelowaverage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Farbelowaverage

Stylistically, I think it's fine, but it would make a lot more sense where there is a more consistent faction system, like Brink.

Then again, knowing which teams will be attacking and which will be defending (or whatever role you take on in each game mode), this faction/soldier system does allow you to plan your custom classes much more neatly and with greater focus than COD's (example only, not trying to start sh*t) class system would.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.