Battlefield 4 Beta Impressions

• 93 results
#51 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

So I had a really bad impression at first, but I'm starting to like the tweaks. It is really a better Battlefield 3. The map line out also seems ballers (at least thematically), we still need to see how good the level design is (scale/proportion/choke points etc etc). But I'm in, now my biggest doubt is should I get it on PS4 or PC, Runs fine on my PC but I'm getting old and being in a couch with a controller serves my back better.

@amilmitt said:

@oldmanlight: dont worry its just really horrible optimization. i'm running an AMD FX8350 on low settings and i'm still getting bad stuttering. its not even using all of my 6870 power, but its maxing out all 8 cores on the cpu.

Well that's what happens with cheap ass AMD cpu, don't get me wrong they good at GPU, but the FX series is nothing but obsolete core stacking... Not a great processor by any means. The whole 8 cores is very deceptive considering each of those cores lag way behind a Intel core, they barely manage to beat the Athlon core which is... like what ? 10 years old!? FUCKdatSHIT.

And don't even get me started with their POS motherboards they lagging like 10 years easily compared to intel's.

#52 Edited by ArtelinaRose (1828 posts) -

I don't like it! I don't understand how people can be excited for games like this anymore. They're just not very fun. The TTK leads every encounter to just being who sees who first, especially with the recoil reduced to COD levels of nothing, all of these SO REALISTIC visual effects like dust and debris and all that other shit flying around constantly makes it almost impossible to tell what's going on or see anybody when fighting actually happens, they've given us huge maps but locked all of the tools like appropriate sights behind an XP wall(and apparently what I can only guess are ME3 style loot chests?), vehicles don't feel like they're a threat to infantry or vice versa... It's just not very fun. It's a whole lot of "hey i saw that guy! oh no, that guy saw me! Ten seconds to respawn." And sometimes you get to hide from tanks.

#53 Edited by OtakuGamer (1222 posts) -

I've had no real issue with the game so far and right now I'm having a blast playing it. There are some problems as expected from a beta i.e. the textures take quite a while to render for X360, the sniper rifles are slightly underpowered as they don’t kill even with a headshot and the RPG is quite underpowered too I feel but yeah this game is shaping up very nicely. The movement feels right, the weapons feel good and people don’t sponge as much anymore.

I also love the little things they added such as the ability to get out your secondary when in the water and dive, showing the hotkey on the HUD at the bottom so you know what button to press on the d-pad to get your health pack out for example. I’m not entirely sure whether this was in Battlefield 3 as I didn’t play much of it but really good stuff.

Oh I did try out the PC version but even with my i5-4670 and GTX 760, the frame rate was very low to unplayable levels, even at low graphical settings.

#54 Posted by Spoonman671 (4523 posts) -

Seems super grindy.

#55 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4328 posts) -

Getting error messages about Origin not being installed and having to install it for it to run. Umm what? I'll come back to this later

#56 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

I'm liking it. As a mostly Recon player, it's nice that that class now has the ability to take on a tank or jeep with C4. Also, Zeroing is a neat mechanic that takes some getting used too. Playing on the 360, it looks and feels a little janky at times but, still liking my experiences with it.

#57 Posted by big_jon (5707 posts) -

It's a great map, the game feels very different from battlefield 3, the increased bullet damage and speed make it feel a bit more arcadey. It's more balanced, though snipers are a bit to proficient who'll support needs a slight buff, helo's are fun but are a bit too easy/simple to fly, though I like that scout choppers are no longer after tanks, and because of their increased speed they aren't getting tagged out of the sky by MBT's all the time. Speaking of MBTs I have some thoughts on them too, over all I'm happy, they feel like tanks again and it's great that they trade their agility for a more plodding and balanced style, much more like bad company 2 which had way better tank combat then bf3. That said my main issues with them are balance related, the main gun in the beta is stuck using AP rounds and yet still takes up to 5 shots to the front of another tank to destroy it, this is pretty much crazy, I dread to imagine using HE rounds in a fight versus another tank, I'm assuming it would end up taking 6 shots with those quite possibly. That said it should take at most 4 shots to the fontal armor of another tank to destroy it, it speeds up the game play and let's you get in and out of tank fights faster, it also makes getting the jump on another tank that much more important. The other thing is the damage in the coaxial machine gun is too low, infantry shrug off tank machine gun fire a little too often for my taste, especially good AT soldiers.

But that said all on all I'm happy and I can't wait to play this on my Xbox One to get the true battlefield experience of 64 players and 60fps!

P.S I'm typing on my phone.

#58 Posted by Amilmitt (237 posts) -

@donpixel: AMD CPU's are good if the programs actually utilize all the cores, each of those 8 cores is running 4ghz. the reason they lag behind for games currently is because developers didn't focus on multi core usage.

#59 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@amilmitt said:

@donpixel: AMD CPU's are good if the programs actually utilize all the cores, each of those 8 cores is running 4ghz. the reason they lag behind for games currently is because developers didn't focus on multi core usage.

Developers don't use a lot of cores because its not really that useful, I'm not a C++ programmer, I'm a scripter for web and stuff. But for my understanding to talking to them at work, the extra effort to develop for multiple cores is not even worth it. 95% of the apps you run in your computer use a single treat or 2 at very rare occasions.

The sole reason AMD is pushing 8 cores is not because they are ahead of the curve, is mostly because they have no good chip designers around, they fired all the good ones long ago. The 8 cores charade is pure marketing.

@artelinarose said:

I don't like it! I don't understand how people can be excited for games like this anymore. They're just not very fun. The TTK leads every encounter to just being who sees who first, especially with the recoil reduced to COD levels of nothing, all of these SO REALISTIC visual effects like dust and debris and all that other shit flying around constantly makes it almost impossible to tell what's going on or see anybody when fighting actually happens, they've given us huge maps but locked all of the tools like appropriate sights behind an XP wall(and apparently what I can only guess are ME3 style loot chests?), vehicles don't feel like they're a threat to infantry or vice versa... It's just not very fun. It's a whole lot of "hey i saw that guy! oh no, that guy saw me! Ten seconds to respawn." And sometimes you get to hide from tanks.

I'm a bit confused here:

-You don't like it because its to arcade(y) not realistic enough, supposedly no recoil ( to which I disagree, but ok lets not argue that)

also

-You don't like it because its to realistic visually speaking? So you think battlefields are some sort or pristine static Geometries like Counter Strike? ... hardly think so.

So more realistic, less realistic?

Not computing here.

#60 Posted by Whitestripes09 (396 posts) -

I'm not sure if my computer is out of date or if the servers are just bad. I get some mad frame rate issues when I play this game and no matter how much I turn down the visual settings it doesn't seem to work. The game seems... ok. I feel like it's generally the same as BF3 except on a bigger scale and with some new features.

#61 Posted by beeftothetaco (419 posts) -

I think its garbage. It's essentially BF 3 with slightly better textures and more optimization issues.

#62 Edited by ArtelinaRose (1828 posts) -

@donpixel That's not at all what I meant and nowhere can you glean "it's too arcadey but it's too realistic" from any of that unless you intentionally go out of your way to misinterpret it. What is it with people twisting what I say around lately?

#63 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@artelinarose said:

@donpixel That's not at all what I meant and nowhere can you glean "it's too arcadey but it's too realistic" from any of that unless you intentionally go out of your way to misinterpret it. What is it with people twisting what I say around lately?

Don't get me wrong I'm not picking a fight, cool beans by me if you don't like BF4.

Thou, I'm a bit confuse to what you didn't like at all, seemed like a contradictory assessment.

#64 Edited by ArtelinaRose (1828 posts) -

@donpixel said:

@artelinarose said:

Don't get me wrong I'm not picking a fight, cool beans by me if you don't like BF4.

Thou, I'm a bit confuse to what you didn't like at all, seemed like a contradictory assessment.

You're right, that was uncalled for. I'm all out of sorts lately...

I feel like the time to kill in this game is incredibly short and it just leads to encounters coming down to who sees who first. There's very little beyond "point at guy, hold down trigger till you get points." Someone is going to tell me "but but isnt that what all video games do!?" and I am just saying that you right click to ADS, hold left click for a few seconds and you're golden, ponyboy. One of you inevitably goes down and it's on to the next who can click faster match. There's very little to the act of combat itself. There's also an extreme lack of recoil. I remember playing BF3 and having to pulse my shots to get anywhere, whereas in BF4 I am holding down the trigger and barely seeing any noticeable effect unless they're at long or extreme ranges. But it's also weird on the TTK because most of the vehicle weapons seem underpowered against infantry.

The Battlefield games have a bad habit of touting all of this visual realism and showing off just how good the Frostbite 2 engine looks, but I find that all of this dust and smoke and debris and fire just ends up obscuring the action and making it difficult to tell what the heck is going on when things start getting serious. It looks good in motion but it interferes with the actual gameplay, I find.

I've had a couple cool "Battlefield" moments, though. I dunno. I am not really a fan of these types of games but I always end up playing them with a couple friends once they drop down to $15 or so. But judging this as a $60 product, I really don't care and I will not be buying it.

#65 Edited by TWISTEDH34T (51 posts) -

I don't like the beta that much. The battlepacks/boxes remind me of the things you could buy in ME3's multiplayer, so it just seems like something EA might end up charging you for if you don't want to wait. I also don't understand why I need to unlock an iron sight for a weapon, I hoped that would've been something I would just have.

I hear a lot of people saying it's like BF3, but after playing BF4 and not having a real good time with it I went back to BF3 and had a blast. I suppose it also has to do with the weapons, I unlocked (almost) everything in BF3 so it's easy to select a weapon I'm good with or use the attachments I like the best.

It feels like leveling up is slower than in BF3. I hope they'll add a prestige option or something like that cause after reaching level 45 in BF3 I really didn't see the point of gaining any more levels. I also ran in to a lot of (spawn) campers in the BF4 beta, and laggy servers but both are just bad luck. Still annoying though. :(

I'm not convinced. I'm going to have to wait this one out.

#66 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

This is terrible. The controls are bad. Counter knifing is OP. It looks SUPER ugly.

And again..it just controls so so so bad.

360 version.

#67 Posted by GreggD (4475 posts) -

This is terrible. The controls are bad. Counter knifing is OP. It looks SUPER ugly.

360 version.

Change to classic controls, sneak up on people to avoid countering, and of course it looks ugly. It's the 360 beta version.

#68 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@greggd said:

@the_laughing_man said:

360 version.

Change to classic controls, sneak up on people to avoid countering, and of course it looks ugly. It's the 360 beta version.

There is no aim assist which is both strange and kinda ok. How do I get to classic controls?

#69 Posted by JoeyRavn (4945 posts) -

I just can't get it to run on my PC. I open Battlelog (what a great feature!) and select a server, but it refuses to enter. It gives me a "install PunkBuster" (another great feature!) error, even though I already have it installed.

Fuck this game.

#70 Posted by GreggD (4475 posts) -

@the_laughing_man: There actually is an aim assist, I think you can't turn it off, actually. Anyway, it's under "buttons" in the controls menu.

#71 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@greggd said:

@the_laughing_man: There actually is an aim assist, I think you can't turn it off, actually. Anyway, it's under "buttons" in the controls menu.

You mean Veteran?

#72 Posted by GreggD (4475 posts) -

@the_laughing_man: Yes. It swaps the crouch/prone and knife button assignments. The key for verbalizing and designations is always the right bumper, which if you ask me is a smart change. It makes it easier to move and aim while designating targets.

#73 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@greggd said:

@the_laughing_man: Yes. It swaps the crouch/prone and knife button assignments. The key for verbalizing and designations is always the right bumper, which if you ask me is a smart change. It makes it easier to move and aim while designating targets.

O ya I love the button for spotting. Easy to switch to shooting if it goes south. The recoil on some weapons is crazy.

#74 Posted by GreggD (4475 posts) -

@greggd said:

O ya I love the button for spotting. Easy to switch to shooting if it goes south. The recoil on some weapons is crazy.

Oh, god yeah. The Type-88 is ridiculous with its recoil.

#75 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@greggd said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@greggd said:

I saw someone firing like an idiot and he died so I grabbed his kit. That is the weapon I picked up.

I did not notice the aim assist.

#76 Posted by GreggD (4475 posts) -

@greggd said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@greggd said:

I saw someone firing like an idiot and he died so I grabbed his kit. That is the weapon I picked up.

lol, yeah it's uhhh...hard to control. Feathering the trigger is definitely preferable to going full-auto with it. Did he have any optics equipped?

#77 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@joeyravn said:

I just can't get it to run on my PC. I open Battlelog (what a great feature!)...

Battlelog is actually pretty damn nifty. It's a one stop shop for everything Battlefield. For online centric games, it's the way to go really.

The other major upside is that DICE can iterate upon it at will, anytime they want, with ease. Battlelog for BF4 has already iterated numerous times during Beta, and it's generally getting better all the time.

#78 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@greggd said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@greggd said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@greggd said:

lol, yeah it's uhhh...hard to control. Feathering the trigger is definitely preferable to going full-auto with it. Did he have any optics equipped?

Ok I see the aim assist now. Do any of these stats carry over?

#79 Posted by bigjeffrey (4699 posts) -

I dig it, but rooftoop camper up the ass for sure.

#80 Edited by GreggD (4475 posts) -

@greggd said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@greggd said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@greggd said:

Ok I see the aim assist now. Do any of these stats carry over?

Carry over to what?

#81 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@the_laughing_man said:

360 version.

That right there is your biggest problem.

They shouldn't even be releasing in last gen consoles... $60 for crippled version, talk about rip off.

#82 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@donpixel said:

@the_laughing_man said:

360 version.

That right there is your biggest problem.

They shouldn't even be releasing in last gen consoles... $60 for crippled version, talk about rip off.

I've played the PS3 version and it's loads of fun. The 64 player cap creates more problems than it adds value really. Hopefully they'll scale back to 40'ish players for Bad Company 3, and rather amp up environmental destruction a couple of notches.

#83 Posted by jkz (3998 posts) -

I dig it, but rooftoop camper up the ass for sure.

Yeah I couldn't get into BF3 and I'm like 80% of the way here because of small tweaks, but GODDAMN THOSE ROOFTOPS.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. Like I only die maybe once a match to it and usually kill 2-3, but the mere knowledge that snipers could be gracing every roof drives my OCD (of the clinical sort) up a goddamn wall, and I spend a good third of my time staring at the edges of rooftops.

Otherwise though, I'm into it. Besides the rooftop crap I like the map design for Shanghai a lot, and I think that the amount of control I have over my character feels a lot better this time around, because of a bunch of tiny tweaks to character and aim responsiveness. If only I could avoid getting caught on tiny bits of the geometry.

#84 Edited by BawlZINmotion (714 posts) -

I was looking forward to what DICE might do with Battlefield 4... then I played it. Beta issues aside, the jumping just doesn't feel right. Don't get me wrong, I prefer the heavier movement of passed Battlefield games, but this doesn't feel right to me. Even after playing for a couple hours, it still feels wrong. It feels... tedious and clunky.

The map itself is wonderful, particularly the vertical scale. However I was unable to deliver any damage to the sides of building whilst operating a tank. Or with a RPG. Or any explosive weapon I could get my hands on. I don't expect (nor would I like, I think) being able to obliterate high rises, but at the very least the windows should blow out. The facades of the buildings in Battlefield 3's "Seine Crossing" did this, why not here? Is this an error I experienced? Is the destructibility dialed down for the beta? Lag?

I know most Battlefield veterans love Battlefield 2, and there is much to love, but for me the most fun I had with a Battlefield game was Bad Company 2. Yes there are stupid designs in BC2 (not being able to prone, for example) and it is a lot more limiting than the regular series, but it felt better to me. I hate to bandwagon and say this, but it really does seem like the feel of actually playing Battlefield is drifting further and further into Call of Duty territory. And that's one place I will not follow the series, even with destructible environments and vehicles.

In many ways I think DICE should have chosen to add past Battlefield features to the Bad Company frame instead of chasing the CoD rabbit. I don't think there are many here that would disagree the BC1 campaign being a lot more fun than anything Battlefield has done since. Except that one cool level in BC2.

I think Jeff said it on a recent Bombcast, EA is not going to pull many long-time CoD players from that series, but they very well could alienate long-time players of Battlefield. And with the Battlefield 4 beta, that just happened to me.

#85 Edited by Splodge (1027 posts) -

hmmm I tried ti when it came out but it ran like absolute dirt on my high end rig, even with all the settings on minimum. Have they fixed the performance issues?

#86 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@splodge said:

hmmm I tried ti when it came out but it ran like absolute dirt on my high end rig, even with all the settings on minimum. Have they fixed the performance issues?

It got a patch a couple of days ago. Increased my performance quite dramatically, but sadly didn't get rid of all the stutters for me. Guess my PC's just too weak for it. Oh well, I've already decided to get it for PS3/PS4 with the upgrade deal.

#87 Posted by Splodge (1027 posts) -

@seppli said:

@splodge said:

It got a patch a couple of days ago. Increased my performance quite dramatically, but sadly didn't get rid of all the stutters for me. Guess my PC's just too weak for it. Oh well, I've already decided to get it for PS3/PS4 with the upgrade deal.

Maybe ill give it another go. I love BF3, and a crazier version of BF3 sounds A-OK.

#88 Posted by Meptron (1073 posts) -

Kind of disappointed. Apart from graphical improvements it's pretty much just battlefield 3 again. Cod comes out every year and changes things more than battlefield has in bf4, even though it's been two years since the last one.

#89 Posted by bigjeffrey (4699 posts) -

@meptron said:

Kind of disappointed. Apart from graphical improvements it's pretty much just battlefield 3 again. Cod comes out every year and changes things more than battlefield has in bf4, even though it's been two years since the last one.

LEVELUTION is a GAMECHANGER

#90 Posted by Veektarius (4530 posts) -

I miss my defibrulator

#91 Posted by chiablo (889 posts) -

I played for another three hours on the PC yesterday, and I think I'm done with Battlefield games now. For every 10 minutes of enjoyment, I had about 40 minutes of frustration. Highlights of my playtime include:

• Having multiple tanks be destroyed because of Assault grenade launchers, which is apparently the most powerful anti-tank weapon in the game.
  • Being on top of the big central building, then realizing there's no strategic reason to be up there. Even a sniper is useless up there because of how far away it is.
  • Never seeing the big building stay up for more than 10 minutes after a match start.
  • The Support's pistol is a more powerful weapon than the LMG.
  • Doing any customization in the battlelog will remove all attachments from every weapon on every class.
  • Issuing orders is apparently pointless because your squadmates will ignore it.
  • Having more than half my team be Recon.
  • Having more than half the enemy team be Recon.
  • Helicopters are apparently used exclusively to land Recon players onto buildings, otherwise they can be completely ignored by the enemy team because of their ineffectiveness.
  • It's nice that they added VoiP to the game finally... now people can continue to not communicate using voice communication. In my entire time playing across multiple servers, I never heard anyone use it.
  • Unlocks are dreadfully slow, probably to promote the purchase of the Battlepacks.
  • The turning radius of boat turrets is so slow that I could only find it useful after turning the DPI of my mouse all the way up. Then I realized that there's an embankment and railings along the shoreline, so there's no reason to use a boat turret.
#92 Posted by DxBecks (72 posts) -

I haven't had much time to play it yet, but I will tonight. First impressions is that this game is really demanding but still decently optimized. I'm running second generation mobile i7, 4GB of RAM, and a Geforce 550M and I can run the game at a solid 720p/30FPS on low settings. That is a big downgrade from the Medium/High settings I could play Battlefield 3 on but considering my card is two years out of date, and it's a mobile card, I think that is pretty decent.

#93 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1689 posts) -

I've been playing on the 360 with the intention of getting it on the PS4 at launch. I just wanted to take a peek at what's in store. Assuming this is mainly with the current gen console versions, this beta does actually feel like beta, despite the full game being out in only a couple of weeks. It's ugly on the 360. I don't know how or why it would be worse looking than the 360 version of BF3, but it is. Tons of texture popping and things clipping in and out of geometry at any given moment. It doesn't seem like everything's quite working how it should yet. But that's to be expected.

As for the game itself, it's really just BF3 with a few tweaks here and there, nothing revolutionary, which is both disappointing and nice at the same time. I like the changes to the on-foot gameplay controls. Everything feels nice and smooth, and I like the command menu. Vehicle controls I feel they changed for no reason. I strongly prefer 3's controls over this. I'm having a much tougher time driving around using only the analog stick. The UI is much nicer and easier to navigate, both in legibility and functionality.

Overall, I like what I'm seeing. The beta map isn't anything special, but I'm really enjoying hanging out on top of B with my team and slaughtering any soul unfortunate enough to open the elevator to a massive firing squad. The collapsing building is cool, too, though I'm still not totally sure how or why it's triggered. I'm excited to see what other uh....levolution events there will be.

#94 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@onekillwonder_ said:

Vehicle controls I feel they changed for no reason. I strongly prefer 3's controls over this. I'm having a much tougher time driving around using only the analog stick. The UI is much nicer and easier to navigate, both in legibility and functionality.

Stickdrive was how it was handled in BF:BC 1, it was an option in BF 1943. While it's odd playing with stickdrive again, it's actually rather rad, once you get it into muscle memory. I remember preferring it at the time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.