Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 4

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 29, 2013

DICE's popular multiplayer-focused shooter series continues, making its debut appearance on the PS4 and Xbox One.

Wow, the AI is just.....wow

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Is the AI just broken in this game? I know nobody cares about SP but still. Sometimes enemies don't notice me when I run straight at them, sometimes (when I'm supposed to hold a position while they attack me) some of them just stand around at their spawn points or wander off so I have to search the entire area just to find and stab them. My teammates seem equally usefull. You can order them to attack enemies, but have fun watching them shoot in the air while the enemies completly ignore them and continue to attack you and only you.

At least they all are AMAZING at throwing grenades. I once watched a guy straight up throwing a grenade in the wrong direction, yet it landed right in front of my feet. The SP seems pretty broken to me. In the first level, when you enter the open area with the cranes you get access to a sniper rifle. So I decided to snipe the four enemies I could spot. When I then moved on my teammate shouted "WATCH OUT, FOUR ENEMIES AHEAD OF US" and they all ran off and took cover. So I had to reload my checkpoint because they refused to move on. Ermm...okay?

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Welcome to single player shooters. They all have bad ai

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yeah i tried a bit of the sp earlier. The AI is not great at all. But as you say if you buy a battlefield game for the single player you are doing it wrong.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Wow. Good job designing systems, Swedes.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosdl said:

That's not true. Ever played FEAR? Also, even compared to "bad" AI the AI in BF 4 is terrible. I've not seen such bad AI in a game since years and BF4 is not just some budget release .

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I think Fear and Halo set my AI expectations too high.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I was watching a walkthrough earlier, got bad BF3 vibes which really soured myself on trying my brother's copy.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Dude... it's Battlefield.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The single player is just there for the heck of it. If you bought Battlefield for the campaign you should return it. It's a multiplayer game with single player tacked on. Video games used to be the other way around but no longer.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You have to forgive DICE, after all the game is only an incremental upgrade from the predecessor and they only had two years to develop it.. what?

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ravelle

I use the campaign in shooters only to sharpen my aiming and reaction skills for the multiplayer, it's basically just a glorified shooting range.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdh5153 said:

The single player is just there for the heck of it. If you bought Battlefield for the campaign you should return it. It's a multiplayer game with single player tacked on. Video games used to be the other way around but no longer.

Dude I know that. I'm only playing the SP cause my friends don't own the game yet. But still. If there is a SP you can judge it. And it's bad. Really, really bad.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By chiablo

@jdh5153 said:

But next gen is going to shift the paradigm of video games where the single player IS THE MULTIPLAYER, man!

kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By kmg90

Just starting up the single player on PS3, my expectations are not that high since I found most of the AI in BF3 to be a hit and mostly miss with the allies and super aim bots for the enemy...

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure I'm going to waste precious life hours playing through a Battlefield single player.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosdl said:

That's not true. Ever played FEAR? Also, even compared to "bad" AI the AI in BF 4 is terrible. I've not seen such bad AI in a game since years and BF4 is not just some budget release .

Yeah, FEAR's squad based AI was pretty relentless. Dudes would try to find flanking points, etc.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The AI here is totally retarded. You got your squadmates kinda shooting at them? But they don't stop looking at you. Like what the fuck?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

There shouldn't be a SP in this game anyway. Poor DICE, forced and beaten into making this weird CoD clone..

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I think they're making it as terrible as can be so that their greedy overlords will stop forcing them to make a singleplayer portion in Battlefield. So expect BF5 to be co-developed by DICE and another studio.

Just kidding, I really want a new Bad Company. I'm hoping in Bad Company 3 they capture an enemy soldier and force him to divulge the location of the secret stash of gold but in the end they learn that the other side isn't that different and that they can all get along after all, basically everyone learns a bit about themselves, their comrades and their "enemies". Also it takes place in 1960s Vietnam.

Yeah I learned my lesson after BF3, all the explosions in the world can't make up for endless boring firefights against boneheaded AI.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Yup, probably going to continue exclusively playing the multiplayer in mainline Battlefield games if this turns out to be widespread. Probably even if it isn't.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

It's sad to say but I enjoyed the single player in the original Medal of Honor reboot more than Battlefield 3 or Medal of Honor Warfighter. I'm not interested in playing Battlefield 4 SP at all. The only good part will likely be the graphics and my computer isn't going to be powerful enough to play it on Ultra settings anyways so I'll just skip it.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosdl: Killzone 2 has pretty good AI

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abendlaender, I tried to use the binoculars at that part, and I just couldn't figure it out. Hold Q? Press T? I mashed T for at least a minute without anything happening. So I did what you did, and moved forward.

At least this game has 100% less quick time events involving rats. Unless I'm in for a terrible surprise at the end of the game.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abendlaender, I tried to use the binoculars at that part, and I just couldn't figure it out. Hold Q? Press T? I mashed T for at least a minute without anything happening. So I did what you did, and moved forward.

At least this game has 100% less quick time events involving rats. Unless I'm in for a terrible surprise at the end of the game.

You know it also took me some time to get that right. I don't know why, it's not that hard but I had no clue what to do.
    Also I just climbed a ladder and suddenly flew through the air, off the ship and in the ocean. I have to admit though, I was enjoying that. I'm actually a bit impressed that it wasn't a Game Over, I just swam around for some time, till I decided there was nothing worthwile in the ocean and quit. This is all really weird, the game looks beautiful and the MP is going to be cool but the SP seems to be a buggy mess with terrible AI and I really don't know how this happens with a game this big (and why no review I've read mentions it)

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower said:

@abendlaender said:

@mosdl said:

Yeah, FEAR's squad based AI was pretty relentless. Dudes would try to find flanking points, etc.

I saw AI flank me in BF4...flanking doesn't make good AI.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PandaBear

I have 250 hours in Battlefield 3 and think it's probably my game of this generation. I put two hours into the single-player and thought it was hot fucking garbage. NOBODY cares about single-player. Even Black Ops II was highly overrated.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosdl said:
    @gaspower said:

@abendlaender said:

@mosdl said:

Well, its not just that though. If you played the first FEAR then you'll probably get what we mean. They actually talk to each other, give each other commands, etc. It might not be mighty impressive with me just citing out examples but it was really good.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@gaspower said:

@mosdl said:
    @gaspower said:

@abendlaender said:

@mosdl said:

Well, its not just that though. If you played the first FEAR then you'll probably get what we mean. They actually talk to each other, give each other commands, etc. It might not be mighty impressive with me just citing out examples but it was really good.

They actually create the illusion that you are fighting something that is thinking and trying to outdo you which could be pretty scary

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GaspoweR

@pie said:

@gaspower said:

@mosdl said:
    @gaspower said:

@abendlaender said:

@mosdl said:

They actually create the illusion that you are fighting something that is thinking and trying to outdo you which could be pretty scary

Yep, precisely. I was using lean a lot in that game.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By Marz

it's a good thing we all bought battlefield 4 for the multiplayer... am I right!?

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh geez man. They run into and push you like crazy. While on the boat I got on a ladder below the AI, and then got fired back into the ocean and couldn't move until I restarted. Other than that, they just run into you and you slide like you're on ice.

earlygrab666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By earlygrab666

I was surprised to read first reviews saying the sp was good. It's fun if you want more bf4 but fricking barely even a game.

I felt like I was babysitting my squads ai. They constantly get stuck and wont let the story progress until I go back and nudge them forward, literally pushing them. Happens about once an hour. Meanwhile I'm so bored I often find myself on the other side of the ai spawn points than my squad. I'll turn around to wait for my squad ai and see herds of enemy ai, just spawn. At which point they ignore me, perhaps because I passed some imaginary line or they are just that bad. I am then able to just walk around and shoot them unbothered. This feels less like a game with a story or any meaning and more like a shooting range with broken ai.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GaspoweR

@earlygrab666: That's kinda weird. I know there were times that they had a tendency to just hang back but I have never ever got stuck during my entire play through.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@intro said:

Oh geez man. They run into and push you like crazy. While on the boat I got on a ladder below the AI, and then got fired back into the ocean and couldn't move until I restarted. Other than that, they just run into you and you slide like you're on ice.

The same thing happened to. It was quite amusing I have to say

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know nobody cares about SP but still.

You got that right, but still made the thread.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ShaggE

@verendus said:
    @abendlaender said:

I know nobody cares about SP but still.

You got that right, but still made the thread.

What's wrong with that? It's a video game being discussed on a video game forum.

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge: Nothing? I didn't mean it in a "mean" way. I just meant that majority of players know what to expect when it comes to single player on a game where multiplayer is the main thing.

It took me 2 years to start and finish BF3's multiplayer and that was because I was internetless for few days haha.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ShaggE

@verendus: Apologies, I read that as snark, like "And yet you talked about it instead of properly ignoring it".

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was writing a long good post about this, the AI, other games, BF3, Blops2, and then I ended up with most of the text marked as I was typing and boom, the text was gone. Undo did jack and shit.

So just pretend there was a lengthy intelligent post here about game AI and how BF4 is actually DICE concentrating and working hard on an SP campaign, only to end up with this. I'd rather do BF3 on hardest again.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By Flappy

The only time you should play a Battlefield campaign is when the "Bad Company" name is printed on the box.

Battlefield 3's SP was hot garbage.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By abendlaender

After finishing the SP (Yep, I did it) I have to say I couldn't help to be amused by how weird it was. Obviously MP is the games focus, but the SP is there and was heavily marketed. And I have NO FREAKING IDEA what actually happened during the campaign. Seriously. At some point China attacks the USA and we have to.....ermmm..blow up some jets? And the Russia also attacks the USA? Okay? Then you blow up a boat and that somehow saves everything. What?

And it's not like Dice can't do BF SP don't act like Bad Company didn't happen. As I said, I love the MP and the SP is just so fantasticly aweful, it's almost like watching a movie you enjoy because it's bad. How any review can praise that campaign is beyond me though.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

You squadmates are the worst. They'll say it's all clear as they run right past an enemy and hang out against a wall getting shot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.