Anybody every wonder why they are called "map packs"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by iiNF3RNo (214 posts) -

I know that the maps play differently for each game mode but I mean they is still no new maps

#2 Posted by EpicSteve (6483 posts) -

What else would you call it?

#3 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I don't understand what you're talking about. They are called map packs because they are packs....of maps.

#4 Posted by iiNF3RNo (214 posts) -
@CL60:
packs of maps already in the game.
#5 Posted by iiNF3RNo (214 posts) -
@EpicSteve:
idk rush/conquest pack not making it seem like new maps
#6 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1640 posts) -

They are map repacks, which are technically still packs.

#7 Posted by Onno10 (405 posts) -

Because "update you have to pay for" doesn't sound that nice.

#8 Posted by B0nd07 (1699 posts) -
@EpicSteve said:
" What else would you call it? "
Terrain re-purposing supplement?
#9 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Onno10 said:
" Because "update you have to pay for" doesn't sound that nice. "
i like this person
#10 Posted by Spoonman671 (4607 posts) -

I'm sure there is already at least one thread you could have posted this in instead of making a new one.

#11 Posted by iiNF3RNo (214 posts) -
@Onno10: u dont have to pay for the "map packs" in bc2. dnt post when u probably dnt even own the game.
#12 Posted by iiNF3RNo (214 posts) -
@B0nd07: i like that ill post that on their twitter page lol
#13 Posted by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -
@EpicSteve: Moneygrabbingforsomethingthatshouldhavebeeninthegameinthefirstplace pack.
#14 Edited by EpicSteve (6483 posts) -
@Djeffers03 said:

" @EpicSteve: Moneygrabbingforsomethingthatshouldhavebeeninthegameinthefirstplace pack. "

i wonder if the exceeds the character limit the market place probably has?
#15 Posted by LiquidPrince (15921 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" I don't understand what you're talking about. They are called map packs because they are packs....of maps. "
To further elaborate, they are packages filled with new maps.
#16 Posted by Onno10 (405 posts) -
@iiNF3RNo said:
" @Onno10: u dont have to pay for the "map packs" in bc2. dnt post when u probably dnt even own the game. "
I'd have to buy them because I use my friend's copy but I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.
#17 Posted by Icil (727 posts) -
@B0nd07 said:
" @EpicSteve said:
" What else would you call it? "
Terrain re-purposing supplement? "
Seriously. Those may not even be maps that we download. I honestly think it's just the 'level boundary' and the 'game logic' that we download with the map attached as a label.

At least it's a "pack"...
#18 Posted by lilbigsupermario (842 posts) -

It doesn't say "New Maps Pack" so basically it's just a pack with maps, new or old/reused and for this case, it's the same maps used in other modes.

#19 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

dont know dont care.

#20 Posted by natetodamax (19193 posts) -

They should call them Map Keys since they do nothing but unlock already existing maps for more game modes. But to be fair, Leguna Presa Rush is a drastically different map than Leguna Presa Conquest.

#21 Posted by Grilledcheez (3947 posts) -

I'm with you, calling them "map packs" implies that you are getting a pack of maps, instead you are treated to different game modes on the same maps.  They should just call it "EA wanted to bud in"...like them making me enter a code to play my Tiger Woods online...BUT THE CODE DOESN"T WORK... OH EA, we HATE you

#22 Posted by lilbigsupermario (842 posts) -
@Onno10 said:
" @iiNF3RNo said:
" @Onno10: u dont have to pay for the "map packs" in bc2. dnt post when u probably dnt even own the game. "
I'd have to buy them because I use my friend's copy but I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. "
the purpose of those map packs is to discourage people from buying used games. or for your case, borrowed it from a friend coz it's not helping the company make money from used games. less profit means less games for them to make and release. 

although it's good that you don't feel like you're missing out on anything coz that may mean you're satisfied with the current maps. But those VIP map packs are a lot of variety you can have fun with.  Plus, without those VIP map packs, you'll always get kicked out of the match whenever the next map is a VIP map, kind of a hassle. hehe!
#23 Edited by TheBlindChessman (241 posts) -

I agree with the OP, "map packs" have come to mean a a selection of new maps for online games, it seems like they're just trying to make the game mode things sounds more attractive so that the "project $10" thing works.

But even "new" game modes would be better, what we're getting is different combinations of maps and modes that we've already played.

#24 Posted by BionicMonster (1032 posts) -

The OP must have been in a hurry because, he dnt hve da tym 2 typ all da lettrs.

#25 Posted by FlyingRat (1446 posts) -
@BionicMonster said:
" The OP must have been in a hurry because, he dnt hve da tym 2 typ all da lettrs. "
This. Son of a bitch, man. It takes me like twice as long to read what you're talking about. And then when i do read it, i still don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
#26 Posted by TheBlindChessman (241 posts) -
@BionicMonster said:

" The OP must have been in a hurry because, he dnt hve da tym 2 typ all da lettrs. "

Sorry, I thought OP was pretty much universally understood online. 

Although I do feel that I should point out that what I used was an acronym (I even capitalised it) and not shortened leet speak - I didn't write 'orgnl pstr'.
#27 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

Because they are maps and they come in a pack?

#28 Posted by FlyingRat (1446 posts) -
@TheBlindChessman said:
" Sorry, I thought OP was pretty much universally understood online.   Although I do feel that I should point out that what I used was an acronym (I even capitalised it) and not shortened leet speak - I didn't write 'orgnl pstr'. "
Dude, what? You just said yourself what OP means, why do you think he's talking to you?
#29 Posted by Nadafinga (958 posts) -

Map Packs has been used by other games to imply "new maps". So it's a bit untruthful for EA to call them Map Packs. 

They should have called them Mode Packs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.