Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

Bad Company 2's Onslaught DLC (Finally) Coming To PC

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

It's happening, somehow. EA DICE has confirmed to PC Gamer that Battlefield: Bad Company 2's Onslaught mode is coming to PC. 

The co-op focused joint, which is already being sold as DLC to console owners of the game, features four-player play similar to that of the game's existing "Rush" mode. In a nutshell, Onslaught is about you and three other dudes taking over control points in four specially retrofitted maps. 

No Caption Provided

The reason DICE didn't immediately commit to taking Onslaught onto PC is because of the co-op. The studio just didn't want to sacrifice its big 32-man servers for this much tinier and more focused mode. In a bit of irony, it was the one-upsmanship with Modern Warfare 2 that put DICE in this position to begin with, since peer-to-peer networking would have removed the wait for Onslaught entirely.

PC Gamer doesn't have any information on how DICE is handling its server woes, but it's probably safe to assume that the studio has figured out a way to get around them considering Onslaught is finally coming out and all. Speaking of that, no word on price or release date. We've contacted EA to say "hey, what's up" and ask about these details.
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

It's happening, somehow. EA DICE has confirmed to PC Gamer that Battlefield: Bad Company 2's Onslaught mode is coming to PC. 

The co-op focused joint, which is already being sold as DLC to console owners of the game, features four-player play similar to that of the game's existing "Rush" mode. In a nutshell, Onslaught is about you and three other dudes taking over control points in four specially retrofitted maps. 

No Caption Provided

The reason DICE didn't immediately commit to taking Onslaught onto PC is because of the co-op. The studio just didn't want to sacrifice its big 32-man servers for this much tinier and more focused mode. In a bit of irony, it was the one-upsmanship with Modern Warfare 2 that put DICE in this position to begin with, since peer-to-peer networking would have removed the wait for Onslaught entirely.

PC Gamer doesn't have any information on how DICE is handling its server woes, but it's probably safe to assume that the studio has figured out a way to get around them considering Onslaught is finally coming out and all. Speaking of that, no word on price or release date. We've contacted EA to say "hey, what's up" and ask about these details.
    Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Shaanyboi

i'm down

gunstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By gunstar

yay!

MjHealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By MjHealy

Still haven't bought it on consoles yet.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

cool 

Avatar image for eternaldarkwing
    EternalDarkWing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By EternalDarkWing

I was wondering whether or not this was going to come out on PC. It better be free.

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By ZeroCast

I LOVE YOU DICE

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By Seppli

Onslaught is great.

Sometimes, I just want to relax and bash some AI. And fighting against the clock is far less stressful than going head to head directly. Very fun playing with a good squad of friends. Especially on Hard and Hardcore settings, where teamwork is key.

Also, on Atacama Desert Onslaught, chopper newbs can finally earn their wings. No more wasting precious choppers in competitive mode - plix!

Darko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Darko

Not something I would pay for. The AI in singleplayer was really, really bad and I love the chaos of 32 player servers.

jeffk38uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jeffk38uk

Saw the PCG article before when browsing their site, but still want to say good that its coming to PC eventually, adds another mode to play and variety is often good.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By emkeighcameron

YES

GOD YES

MORE BC2 = FUCK YES

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By OmegaPirate

Comp stomp = love

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
    @OmegaPirate said:
    " Comp stomp = <> "
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By OmegaPirate
    @W0lfbl1tzers said:
    " @OmegaPirate said:
    " Comp stomp = <> "
    "
    Touché salesman
    A_Wet_Shamwow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By A_Wet_Shamwow

i dont play on pc   but i pretty sure that they would rather have dedi servers and wait a little than have the sh** storm that is MW2 pc

Eribuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#16  Edited By Eribuster

Hmm, maybe they have some peer-to-peer solution just for Onslaught on PC. 
    I'm so happy to see this coming to PC. I was worried that this was never going to come out. Sometimes I just want to be a bot bully in a first-person shooter.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By yinstarrunner
    @BradNicholson said:
     In a bit of irony, it was the one-upsmanship with Modern Warfare 2 that put DICE in this position to begin with, since peer-to-peer networking would have removed the wait for Onslaught entirely.

Sure, if by "one-upsmanship" you mean "giving PC players what they want and expect from their multiplayer shooters."  Sure, matchmaking is fine for very small playercounts like in Onslaught, but DICE knows that it's garbage for large-scale games.  Thank god for that.
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By metal_mills

In a bit of irony, it was the one-upsmanship with Modern Warfare 2 that put DICE in this position to begin with, since peer-to-peer networking would have removed the wait for Onslaught entirely.

No, Brad. MW2 fucked PC gamers, full stop. DICE kept the standard, they didn't one-up anyone, MW2 dropped the bar. And I'd rather a lag free and easy experience than some shitty Rush mode any day of the week. And it was only a couple of weeks late.
    Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Crono
    @Metal_Mills said:
    "

No, Brad. MW2 fucked PC gamers, full stop. DICE kept the standard, they didn't one-up anyone, MW2 dropped the bar. And I'd rather a lag free and easy experience than some shitty Rush mode any day of the week. And it was only a couple of weeks late. "
    qft
    W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
    @OmegaPirate said:
    " @W0lfbl1tzers said:
    " @OmegaPirate said:
    " Comp stomp = <> "
    "
    Touché salesman "
    It's called cross brand Synergy 
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jimbo

Probably just waited for the amount of people using the existing servers to tail off a bit, now they'll use some of the freed up servers for this thing instead.  And hey, at least when they do, it won't be like you're playing with oven gloves on.  

Probably not much of a rush to get it out on PC tbh, because paying for DLC is for suckers.  This is known.

microshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By microshock

Is the lag for East Coast servers fixed? 
    And where the HELL are the new maps? Seriously? 

Yeah, I appreciate the existing modes tacked onto old maps but I believe i am with everyone who just wants new maps. 

Onslaught should have been free with VIP by the way.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sounds pretty good. The only thing that will prevent me from buying this is DICE's notoriety for designing some of the most horrendous AI since the turn of the century. As also seen in the BC2 singleplayer.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JP_Russell
    @BradNicholson said:

"The reason DICE didn't immediately commit to taking Onslaught onto PC is because of the co-op. The studio just didn't want to sacrifice its big 32-man servers for this much tinier and more focused mode. In a bit of irony, it was the one-upsmanship with Modern Warfare 2 that put DICE in this position to begin with, since peer-to-peer networking would have removed the wait for Onslaught entirely."

They didn't give the game dedicated servers just to "one-up" CoD6.  The console versions use dedicated servers for regular game modes, too - it's not like they gave the PC community special treatment to exploit their anger about CoD6 being P2P.   

And the reason for them not committing to putting Onslaught in the PC version initially was that, unlike the console versions, the PC version doesn't just use official EA servers with no admins and set map rotations, but also servers from GSP's that people pay for to be admins on.  Admins decide map rotations, which means an admin could conceivably put onslaught maps in the same rotation with larger game mode maps, causing almost all the players to be kicked out when the server switched from, for instance, conquest to onslaught, and inhibiting the game from being started until more players joined when it switched from onslaught to a larger game mode.  Bazajaytee (DICE employee) stated this himself on the EA UK forums.

I would much rather wait for onslaught for any length of time - heck, I'd rather have no onslaught at all, if that's what it came down to - than have no admins maintaining order; a lot more hackers running around, all with complete impunity; little to no customizable server options/filters; no ability to favorite servers with map rotations I like and good communities and admins; and advantages given to whoever the host is due to no latency.

In any case, glad to see it coming to PC, though if you do have to pay for it, I'll pass on it.  The AI in BC2 single player is horrible and not particularly fun to fight, something I doubt a coop mode will completely fix, so I don't see this mode having much longevity for me.
    zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zaglis

I hope nobody bought that mode anyway. That should have been included with the game from the start (Horde/Spec ops) or just patched in later like L4D survival.

Also
      @Metal_Mills said:

''No, Brad. MW2 fucked PC gamers, full stop. DICE kept the standard, they didn't one-up anyone, MW2 dropped the bar. And I'd rather a lag free and easy experience than some shitty Rush mode any day of the week. And it was only a couple of weeks late. "

100 pings, no mod support. Guess which game Im talking about? ...thats what I thought.
    Another hint: no user hosted servers...
    THATS RIGHT. BAD COMPANY 2 FOR THE PERSONAL COMPUTER!
    Obviously you havent played BC2 on the PC, have you?
    rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By rateoforange

It isn't "one-upsmanship" to deliver PC features to PC games and it's a little crass and shortsighted that you see it as just desserts. Nice to see Giantbomb is continuing its standing policy of being dismissive and ignorant when it comes to the PC platform. Is that in the style guide or something, new guy, or does it come naturally?

stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By stephengotlost

I really only care for dedicated servers if it means custom created community maps, server mods, and good ping.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By KingBroly

32-player co-op servers.  That's my guess.

nick69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By nick69

I wonder if this is going to cost money. 

MrHammeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MrHammeh
    @Crono said:
    " @Metal_Mills said:
    "

No, Brad. MW2 fucked PC gamers, full stop. DICE kept the standard, they didn't one-up anyone, MW2 dropped the bar. And I'd rather a lag free and easy experience than some shitty Rush mode any day of the week. And it was only a couple of weeks late. "
    qft "
    /agree
    Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#31  Edited By MachoFantastico

Love Battlefield: Bad Company 2 on PC so this news is awesome. 

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Mcfart

Good news, however, I'm skeptical on purchasing since there are other games that do this thing.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By Tennmuerti

As a PC BFBC2 player, I can't say I care at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

talk cost then I'll decide how interested I am.

SunKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#35  Edited By SunKing
    @Tennmuerti said:

" As a PC BFBC2 player, I can't say I care at all. "

Same. 

Also, I'm not convinced that dedicated servers came about because of the whole "no MW2 dedicated servers-thing FAIL!1!!!11". I think, what was more likely, that they had planned dedicated servers all along and only turned it into a PR point (and it was a shrewd bit of PR work, I have to say) after the whole thing blew up in Infinity Ward's face. 

I'm not going to engage in the whole dedicated servers vs. peer-to-peer servers debate; I can't be bothered. However, let me just say that host disconnects are rarely a problem on the PC platform, unlike what you might have seen in the recent Kane and Lynch 2 Quick Look.
    Isometric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Isometric

I'm all for the PC version getting everything it is entitled to and I shall be interested in playing this when it is released. Hope it's good.

Buccura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By Buccura

I knew DICE wouldn't leave us PC gamers in the dust :3

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.