Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Beta Impressions

Posted by gpbmike (923 posts) -

Yesterday I got a beta key for Battlefield: Bad Company 2 from GameSpot and got in an hour or so of gameplay. I hear they have keys at a lot of different places if you're not a fan of GS. Here are some quick take-aways.

It looks good.

The Battlefield series has always looked good to me. Vast draw distances, solid character and vehicle models, dusty explosions, tracers, rocket trails. You can now destroy more objects around the map including walls and entire buildings. Seeing a building collapse after pummeling it with tank shells and rockets is pretty satisfying.

It sounds good.

You'll recognize most of the sound effects from the first Bad Company game, but the chatter of soldiers screaming out enemy positions or orders is new. In a firefight the screams add to the overwhelming chaos of the battle. The trailers that EA has released do a good job of portraying this.

It feels good.

If you've played any of the previous Battlefield games you'll feel right at home with this one. While I enjoy Modern Warfare 2 as much as the next person, I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of the next Battlefield game next year.

Did any of you guys get a chance to play it? What do you think?
#1 Posted by gpbmike (923 posts) -

Yesterday I got a beta key for Battlefield: Bad Company 2 from GameSpot and got in an hour or so of gameplay. I hear they have keys at a lot of different places if you're not a fan of GS. Here are some quick take-aways.

It looks good.

The Battlefield series has always looked good to me. Vast draw distances, solid character and vehicle models, dusty explosions, tracers, rocket trails. You can now destroy more objects around the map including walls and entire buildings. Seeing a building collapse after pummeling it with tank shells and rockets is pretty satisfying.

It sounds good.

You'll recognize most of the sound effects from the first Bad Company game, but the chatter of soldiers screaming out enemy positions or orders is new. In a firefight the screams add to the overwhelming chaos of the battle. The trailers that EA has released do a good job of portraying this.

It feels good.

If you've played any of the previous Battlefield games you'll feel right at home with this one. While I enjoy Modern Warfare 2 as much as the next person, I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of the next Battlefield game next year.

Did any of you guys get a chance to play it? What do you think?
#2 Posted by AjayRaz (12772 posts) -

i didn't play it yet because i dl'd it when the servers weren't up yet. i'll attempt today. i'm glad to see i'll be right at home since i loved 1942 / BF2 / Bad Company. i can't wait to try it out. good read

#3 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5430 posts) -

I am definitely looking forward to this

#4 Posted by me3639 (2006 posts) -

I got a few hours in last night and as someone who doesn't play online that much i had a ton of fun. The graphics, and sound were awesome. My only complaint so far would be no prone position, and there are some glitches but hey, thats why you put out a beta. Cant wait for the full game and more maps. Be jumping back online in a few to play.

#5 Posted by demonbear (1934 posts) -

Played it at 5h30 this morning before going to work. The game looks amazing, i mean most of the games are these days but this is above average- good looking. Destruction of concrete walls to get an angle on someone is awesome and new too and like the OP mentionned, destroying a building with a tank is very satisfying.

This is going to be my fps for this spring for sure. I'll buy it on pc though.

#6 Posted by Seppli (11232 posts) -

Love it thus far. Getting pretty good at it too. Gone 67/15 last game. Engineers are freaking beastly. Had a couple of pretty amazing rooms full of really good players. It actually played out exactly as the trailer at times. Freaking epic.

Now just iron out the minor bugs and glitches and my gaming baseline is set for the next year or two. Yes!

#7 Posted by KinjiroSSD (690 posts) -
@Seppli: I'm owning with the Engineer as well. I wonder if the Assault class needs something more special as I'm not seeing the point of them so much.
#8 Posted by gpbmike (923 posts) -
@KinjiroSSD said:
" @Seppli: I'm owning with the Engineer as well. I wonder if the Assault class needs something more special as I'm not seeing the point of them so much. "
I actually play as the assault class the most. I'm a big fan of using the grenade launcher to blow up walls that people are hiding behind. :)
#9 Posted by pweidman (2556 posts) -

Every new vid I see for this game look better and better.  Can't wait to play it.  I loved MC2, and BBC as well.  The beta is PS3 only right?  PC also?  I'm on 360 only so I'll have to wait I guess....maybe sometime later but I doubt it.  March seems so far away....:(
#10 Edited by MrKlorox (11142 posts) -

Can somebody answer something about the destruction for me?

What happens to the rubble, debris, and wreckage after a building is brought down? Does it stay and function as cover until the end of the round? If so can it be blown up further?

What about vehicles: do they automatically destroy themselves a short time after they are 'killed' or do they stick around for a while as cover/blockade until you manually blow them into pieces?

#11 Posted by gpbmike (923 posts) -
@MrKlorox: Building rubble sticks around. You can use it for cover, but I don't think it can be destroyed further. Vehicle destruction is the same as the first bad company I believe. They'll destroy themselves after being destroyed.... you know what I mean.
#12 Edited by MrKlorox (11142 posts) -

good to know about the rubble. however I was hoping they'd make the vehicles stick around longer after being destroyed. it's weird seeing parts of the level that have built-in vehicle wreckage that stay forever but the usable ones disappear a few seconds after being killed, without interaction.

#13 Posted by shambles (57 posts) -

im liking the beta quite a bit... 

suprised no one mentioned how u can tag enemies with the select button... 

showing a orange arrow on spotted enemies and vehicles...making it easier for your team to locate them on the map as well as give u points if someone else kills the marked enemy... 
essentially multiplying your points..points for kills...assists...and spot kills... you can rack the points up ...  

been using the medic...and really enjoying that class.... nothing like spotting a whole squad closeley together and proceed to mow them down with a 200 bullet clip sub machinegun... 
all the while gaining points for healing injured squad mates around the corner.. and throw in a revive before i reload...massive points 

tons of guns attachments and gadets to unlock... controls feel really good aswell... i reckon this is a purchase come march2010 

have has a few random disconects and got stuck in a few spots... but hey its a beta... 

anyone that wants in on this can find numerous sites that have beta key giveaways for bad company 2.. i found mine off of ign file planet signup.. also as the OP mentioned gamespot aswell..

see yall on the field..

#14 Posted by gpbmike (923 posts) -
@MrKlorox: The wrecked vehicles don't disappear immediately and I don't typically hang around a destroyed tank long enough to notice when it goes away. But I was behind one for at least 10 seconds tonight.

@shambles: Spotting enemies was in the previous battlefield games. They just made it more of an active thing in this one. Previously you could just look at an enemy and they would be "spotted". I like that they made it active, though I wish it wasn't such an awkward button to push while playing.
#15 Posted by MetalGearSunny (7469 posts) -

I was hoping I would win a code on Twitter, but man that's hard. It won't kill me, though. I can't wait for this to come out, I really enjoyed the first!

#16 Posted by AuthenticM (4289 posts) -

I'm in the beta and so far I like it more than MW2. Can't wait to play the final product.

#17 Posted by JoelTGM (5784 posts) -

aah my god that is so much fun.  I wasn't impressed with bad company on the PS3 before, but after playing bad company 2, wow they've got a hit on their hands.  I reached rank 9 in a very very long match; we were defending.  It has very good infantry combat, whereas previous battlefield games didn't.  The guns all feel great and have reasonable recoil.  It takes maybe 5 shots to kill someone, and yes there is blood.  It totally feels like battlefield with big wide open maps and vehicles.  I'm getting this on the PC, but if I had to get it for the PS3 I would still be excited because it feels great to play.  It's 3 AM and I finally stopped playing now, even though I would love to play another long match.  Moving this to the top of my wishlist.

#18 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4186 posts) -

Plus, there is bullet drop. I noticed this playing the recon class. I remember in the first game there was no bullet drop whatsoever. Good on DICE for fixing this.

#19 Posted by gpbmike (923 posts) -

One significant new feature in the beta is the ability to control a UAV. I didn't mention it before because I didn't get a chance to try it out. But I've piloted the drone a few times now and I think it's a good addition. Previously the offensive team could control an artillery placement to rain down shells in a specific area. Now you can pilot the UAV from a terminal near your base. Starting from the ground, you control where the little helicopter flies within the limits of the playable area. Once you have a good target in site, you essentially turn on a laser designator and a few seconds later a missile will fly in from off the screen and hit where you're pointing. The idea is that the missile comes from an aircraft that is circling the battlefield. Once you las a target, you have a wait another 30 seconds or so before the aircraft makes another pass and is ready to release another missile. Here's some gameplay footage someone recorded.

It controls nicely and it's good for rooting out snipers and anyone who stays in an exposed area for too long. You can also shoot it down if you see it and when it's shot down, the pilot dies. There's also a period of time before a new UAV 'respawns'.
#20 Posted by Intercryllic (121 posts) -

After playing the beta I truly regret not purchasing the first Bad Company. I might have to now to get in full Bad Company mindset.

Like you mentioned in your blog post, I too have been enjoying this more than MW2 in just a day of play. It blows my mind completely!

I wonder if the PC version will have a higher player count. Anyone know?

#21 Posted by handlas (3138 posts) -

Love the UAV.  As you mentioned, if it gets shot down while you are piloting it...you die.  But, you can hit O and exit out of it before it blows up and you won't die.  So I dunno if thats a glitch or not....

the UAVs are most useful for taking out enemy tanks IMO.  One rocket usually blows up a tank and the tanks can't look upward enough to shoot at it.  Also good for blowing up buildings to create entrances for your teammates to set explosives.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.