Battlefield Bad Company 2: Vietnam expansion confirmed for winter

Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

EA confirmed that an expansion pack for Battlefield: Bad Company 2 will be coming out this winter.  

EA announced the expansion during their E3 presentation. It came with a trailer featuring the iconic Battlefield: Vietnam music, and a Huey flying through thick jungles. I will update this post with the trailer as soon as possible. 

Check out the original BF: Vietnam trailer here.

The expansion will include 4 maps built in Frostbite, Rush, Conquest, Vietnam-specific weapons, vehicles, persistence, unlocks, and new achievements and trophies.   

What are your thoughts? I personally would love a Vietnam expansion pack, but does it seem like a cheap way to build off of Black Op's hype?    
#1 Edited by Jayross (2365 posts) -

EA confirmed that an expansion pack for Battlefield: Bad Company 2 will be coming out this winter.  

EA announced the expansion during their E3 presentation. It came with a trailer featuring the iconic Battlefield: Vietnam music, and a Huey flying through thick jungles. I will update this post with the trailer as soon as possible. 

Check out the original BF: Vietnam trailer here.

The expansion will include 4 maps built in Frostbite, Rush, Conquest, Vietnam-specific weapons, vehicles, persistence, unlocks, and new achievements and trophies.   

What are your thoughts? I personally would love a Vietnam expansion pack, but does it seem like a cheap way to build off of Black Op's hype?    
#2 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1438 posts) -

Sounds awesome if done right.

#3 Posted by galfisk (136 posts) -
@JoeRiccadonna said:
" Sounds awesome if done right. "
Most things do. 
Though it seems EA and Dice needs a new creative department.
#4 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

I don't know if it's cheap. Although the timing of announcing Bad Company 2: Vietnam is suspect. They have a legitimate reason though, if they get taken to task on that.

#5 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

It's 'effin exactly what I want. Loved the atmosphere of the original BF:Vietnam. Nothing like flying around in a Huey with rock blasting from the speakers, delivering meat to the grinder. Also - PLANES! 

I love the smell of napalm in the morning!

#6 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

I personally hope they don't bother with a Vietnam story-line, and just release a huge amount of vehicles, maps, and weapons for multiplayer. Jets please!

#7 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@Jayross: I want to drive a Vespa Scooter!
#8 Posted by ItstheRoss (13 posts) -

Definitely trying to ride on Black Op's coattails. There was hardly anything in the trailer, they could have waited til they had a more finished product to show but they wanted to get it out now to share some of COD's hype.
I'm not hatin' though, Battlefield Vietnam was pretty sweet back in the day.

#9 Edited by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

I guess this is why they were holding back on brand new maps? Also I guess this makes it the longest name in the battlefield series? Battlefield: Bad Company 2: Vietnam. Abbreviated to BFBC2V.

#10 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

How does this work? Is it a separate game with different  persistence and leveling? I might have preferred a 1943 style download game.

#11 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@ShaneDev: I doubt it's standalone, as they would have said so. They made a point of attaching it to the Bad Company 2 name.
#12 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -
@FrankCanada97: Yeah but am just wondering how it works. Now I just wait for Battlefield: Bad Company 2: 2142 :)
#13 Posted by Evilmetal (468 posts) -

There is nothing to really get excited about. 

With "Bad Company 2" in front it means: small maps, tiny air battles, linear flags/cap points, etc...    That jet that flew over the chopper, that's like in BC2 where jets fly over the battlefield every now and then. Those jets that fly over the battlefield in BC2, they don't even seem to be models; I think they're cgi videos of planes.

The name BC2 is synonymous with small and reduced battlefield gameplay. It's not GRAND with large areas, like the original battlefield games.    

#14 Posted by Tennmuerti (8055 posts) -

Will be interesting to see how will it integrate with the vanilla version and servers.

#15 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

Does the fact it will only have 4 maps concern anyone?  

Hopefully all 4 maps will be available for the two main game-modes. (or it would be even better if they were available for squad-rush and squad-dm) 
 I would love to see the maps expand past Bad Company 2, and approach the scale of BC1, although I can see that being a problem because of all those trees. 

What vehicles would you like to see?  

As I said before, I would love jets, but I don't see that happening. Expect Hueys and Cobras though.  

#16 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@Jayross said:
" Does the fact it will only have 4 maps concern anyone?   Hopefully all 4 maps will be available for the two main game-modes. (or it would be even better if they were available for squad-rush and squad-dm)  I would love to see the maps expand past Bad Company 2, and approach the scale of BC1, although I can see that being a problem because of all those trees. What vehicles would you like to see?   As I said before, I would love jets, but I don't see that happening. Expect Hueys and Cobras though.   "
Four maps, but how many map variables? Anyways, that doesn't concern me. BF1943 was what, only 4 maps with no variables? We all know how good 1943 was. So the expansion pack contains roughly the same amount as 1943 if not more.
#17 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -
@FrankCanada97: Based off of that, would over $20 seem unreasonable? 
#18 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@Jayross: It all depends on how much content the game will have. I think BF1943 went for $15. As far as I can see, there won't be new gameplay modes unlike Onslaught which is going for $10. This is basically a weapons pack, vehicles pack and maps pack rolled into one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.