Battlefield: Bad Company Beta!!!

• 50 results
#1 Posted by quantumshift5 (415 posts) -

So, what are your guys impressions on the first three days of the Beta? I think its pretty awesome, it was what I was expecting from the Beta, along with graphics, gamplay and graphics. Im a killer with the sniper, "Head Shot, BAM!":)
#2 Posted by Branthog (5596 posts) -

I pre-ordered quite awhile ago, but I'm not excited enough about yet another BF game to bother with the beta or a demo.

#3 Posted by Nighttide (34 posts) -

I think it's pretty good. I like the improvements they've made, especially with the whole aesthetic -- seems a lot more colorful and interesting than the first Bad Company. I really like that they've brought back defibrillators for the medics, too.

#5 Posted by Webby (720 posts) -

Its fun, if you liked Bad Company you will like this. The medic seems quite useful this time around, in Bad Company 1 you could just be an assault guy with an M16 and keep healing with the injector thing.
#6 Posted by Matthew (1914 posts) -

I'm loving it.  Seriously, I haven't played MW2 since I downloaded this the other night.  From the realistic setting/audio/graphics to the words you would hear your squadmates use, its amazing.  I only ever played the demo on the pc of Battlefield 2, and that has been the extent of my times with the Battlefield franchise. 

To put it in perspective, I played 15 days of CoD4.  15  Days

#7 Posted by Warfare (1642 posts) -

It feels slow and floaty  to me.

#8 Posted by Xakura (126 posts) -

Damn the ps3 only beta, can't wait to play this. Also, going home for christmas, so no pc-beta either for a while. Still play the first one though, almost every night. (VSS is for nubs)
#9 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -

I hooked my older brother up with a code, but he never got back to me on how it plays. I'm interested in seeing everyone's impressions as well, because I don't have a PS3 to play this on, and it is kind of unfortunate there is no X360 beta (although us X360 users get a lot of betas).

#10 Posted by MrGetBonus (784 posts) -

I'm lovin this game. I really like the destructible shit. Really makes the bullets and explosions feel more powerful and that you're not perfectly safe just because you're inside a house.  Waitin on the PC demo since thats the version I'll get it on but man is it fun.

#11 Posted by Bucketdeth (8048 posts) -

I think the game is awesome, I love blowing apart buildings while enemies are inside and exposing them to my team.

#12 Edited by mordukai (7185 posts) -

It's ok. nothing extremely spectacular. I do like how it requires strategy and tactics and team work and not just Run N' Gun. I played a game where my team were not playing as one and we got creamed by the other dudes. however, i do have some grievances with it. Mainly how sluggish the characters are, Slow transition from hip to scope when playing a sniper, and I find it really hard to get kills as it's kinda hard to recognize your enemies but thats more of a personal discomforts then actual problem.  

Also, last timed I played the game did not calculate the point I amassed during the game. One game I managed to get a really good score but my team lost the game and when it to the stats menu it showed zero. I really hope thats just a beta issue and not an actual game feature where you loss all the point when your team losses, that would kill the game for many players. 

#13 Posted by MrGetBonus (784 posts) -
@Mordukai: When did you last play? That was happening to me too when the beta just released but supposedly it was fixed yesterday and hasn't happened to me again yet.
#14 Posted by TheJollyRajah (1576 posts) -

At first I hated this game. It felt off. But when I unlocked the red dot sight and the marksman bullets, the game was fun again. 

Also is it just me, or are the medic's primary weapons much better than the assault's? The gun I use has 200-round clips (Kills like 6-12 guys), and the recoil is waaay better. The assault gun flies around when you shoot it, and has a pathetic 30-round clip. IMO, this game has balancing issues. 

Also, it's a pain in the neck when you run out of ammo. There are no ammo crates in this game. You need to rely on the assault class for ammo, and they rarely throw ammo out when you need it. 

And I HATE being revived in the middle of a firefight where there is no cover, just to die again. SO annoying. 

The game is fun, but there are a lot of small issues which add up and detract from the enjoyment I have.

#15 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

*Bad Company 2* you mean. I am thoroughly enjoying the beta. It added bullet drop so I'm pleased with that, can't complain about anything else right now, I need more time to assess it.

#16 Posted by CitizenKane (10508 posts) -
#17 Posted by the_stig (234 posts) -
@TheJollyRajah:

I had the same problem with running out of ammo as well.  But there is one specialty that you can equip that will double the amount of ammo you can carry so that will alleviate the problem.  But I do miss the ammo crates.

I am not finding much to complain about with the beta.  The biggest complaint that I have is about the controls and having to use the d-pad to select your class specific weapons.

#18 Posted by mordukai (7185 posts) -
@MrGetBonus: I played for like 4 or 5 hours the night it came out. 
#20 Posted by Rowr (5824 posts) -
@Warfare said:
" It feels slow and floaty  to me. "
i had this problem with the last one. Shooting didnt feel very tight.
#21 Posted by Seppli (10250 posts) -

@ Mordukai - you need to go in the ^Weapons and Gadgets' screen to get rid of the bug.  Unlocking stuff is key.

@TheJollyRajah - Assault rifes are super-powerful for mid-to-long range enemy suppression/killing. Fired in bursts, they are super-precise. You can outgun snipers at their game, if you get the drop on them. Also - the assault kit's ammobox, which works like a ammo crate (it's not a pick-up, it gives you ammo, as long you are close to it) makes it so, that the assault kit is perfect class to set up shop and cover an angle to/from the objective. Best anti-infantry class, when it's static. Had some crazy killstreaks. One was 14+. Got two 'Pins of Combat Excellence' while attacking maptier 4 of 'Arica Harbour'. 

Medic kit & Assault kit - a ammo and a health crate  - a good angle to an objective - oh my... that's fun! And UBER powerful.

#22 Posted by Seppli (10250 posts) -
@Warfare said:
Turn up sensitivity. Also - it isn't, It's super thight. Like 100x more thight than the first games. The ballistics simulation is a big step up from the first one, which pretty much controlled perfectly, once I got used to it. This is even better.
#23 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -

how long is it open for?

I might not be able to actually activate my code until Thanksgiving.

#24 Posted by handlas (2748 posts) -

is BC2 much different than BC1?  Mainly the infantry aspect?  I bought BC1 and didn't play it much and ended up selling it but I'm enjoying this beta a hell of a lot.  The sound effects are amazing.  Also like how the guns feel and shoot and how many bullets it takes to take out a person and the THUMPS when you get hit by a bullet.  My fav thing is hopping into one of those little chopper things and dropping missiles on buildings tho.

#25 Edited by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@Demyx said:

" how long is it open for?  I might not be able to actually activate my code until Thanksgiving. "

The beta goes on until January.
#26 Posted by Warfare (1642 posts) -
@Seppli said:

" @Warfare said:

Turn up sensitivity. Also - it isn't, It's super thight. Like 100x more thight than the first games. The ballistics simulation is a big step up from the first one, which pretty much controlled perfectly, once I got used to it. This is even better. "
I wasn,t referring to the sensitivity.    
#27 Edited by handlas (2748 posts) -
@Warfare said:

" @Seppli said:

" @Warfare said:

Turn up sensitivity. Also - it isn't, It's super thight. Like 100x more thight than the first games. The ballistics simulation is a big step up from the first one, which pretty much controlled perfectly, once I got used to it. This is even better. "
I wasn,t referring to the sensitivity.     "
I agree but I'm use to it.  Very different feel than MW2 (been playing both at the same time).  It almost feels kinda like Killzone 2's movement before everyone complained and they patched it.  The deadzone isn't as bad tho.
#28 Posted by CounterShock (420 posts) -

The first game has great summer memories for me, hopefully this one will make some more.

#29 Posted by Phantom_Crash (300 posts) -

I hope they bring out a demo for PC, I can remember the demo for BF2, I spent a lot of time playing it.

#30 Edited by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

They stripped out everything that was great about Bad Company, it's seriously a major bummer. This is basically Battlefield: Modern Combat with destructible environments.

Also, you can't kill dudes with the defibrillator. Just tried it today, maybe it was lag, but when I went up behind him and zapped him, he just turned around and shot me.

#31 Posted by grotto (18 posts) -

The demo is pretty incredible - the environment and particle physics are intense - explosions look better than any game I have ever seen. If you happen to be standing close to a tank when it explodes, there is a shockwave that blows you back a bit, its pretty awesome. Of course the sound is good, but it was in BC1 as well - I'm playing a lot of MW2 in coop and multiplayer and the BC demo blows it away a lot of aspects both graphically and sound wise. The interface and map are great once you understand what is going on, I find it incredibly easy to iD friends, enemies are the only ones without triangles over their heads.  The gadgets, armor, vehicles and UAV's add a fun element to the game and are super useful. 

That being said, i'm more of a battlefield guy than a COD guy- I've owned every BF game since BF2 first came out and I still play the original somewhat regularly.  This game is the first console version of the game that comes close to that old "Battlefield feel" that so many talk about.  BC1 had its moments, but the team aspect really wasn't there and games were few and far between when a real team effort was needed to win out.   BC2 is doing a good job (in the demo at least) of getting people to work together even if they aren't interested in talking over mics - maybe its the squad voices that are added in, maybe not - but its working

All in all, wow - the demo is definitely worth a download and a few hours of your time.

#32 Posted by Mu5hy (124 posts) -

Ive probably put in 8 to 10hrs of the beta and Im pretty excited for this game (the PC version).  I haven't really played a console first person shooter since GoldenEye or Turok2 on the N64... so using a PS3 controller had me pretty frustrated for the first hour or two.  I got used to it though and the game is really fun.

I didn't play the first Bad Company, but I played the shit out of BF2 when it first came out, and this feels like that except the infranty combat is 10 times better.  You can actually tell if shots are going to hit as soon as you pull the trigger and it doesn't feel like hitboxes are random like in BF2.  The destruction of everything is pretty cool and often I've taken objectives by just spamming tank rounds into the house rather than going in and arming the bomb.  Game feels like the vehicles are secondary to a really good competent shooter.

The one map in the beta is pretty huge and since its divided into 4 parts it never really gets old, and it seems almost every round the map is played a different way.

The only thing I hate is people with mics who either don't know they are on all the time... or that purposely put them on all the time.  I can't play with constant mic noise or like today some random conversation between a guy and a girl about the girl's WEAVE.  That's not really a knock on the game though.

Going to get this game for PC for sure.

#33 Posted by Matthew (1914 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero: Care to point out some of your causes of concern?  I'm curious . . .
#34 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -
@Matthew said:
" @TheMustacheHero: Care to point out some of your causes of concern?  I'm curious . . . "
The guns are less detailed and and only have some phong on them to make them shiny, the controls are clunky and it take a lot to kill guys. The assualt class can't inject themselves anymore. You can't equip your knife as a weapon so it takes a lot of R2's to smash stuff (Like wooden gates) The cars lag when you hit an object so when you touch it with your vehicle, it lags a bit, then realizes you moved the object (or destroyed it). It takes a lot of bullets to kill guys.

Basically it seems like they downgraded back to Battlefield: Modern Combat than making a new Bad Compant game. It all feels very clunky.
#35 Posted by Matthew (1914 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero said:
"The guns are less detailed...the controls are clunky...The cars lag...it lags a bit...It takes a lot of bullets to kill guys...It all feels very clunky. "
It seems like the majority of what you posted can be related to the fact that this is a Beta.  This is before the game goes gold, before a demo is released...you do realize you're helping the developer with bugs and such right?
#36 Posted by Adamantium (885 posts) -

I"ve been giving the beta a pretty fair trial but I just can't get into the game. Maybe it's because this is my first time with a BF game (besides a terribly short time with a BFBC rental which left me disappointed). Controls feel heavy/clunky like Killzone 2, guns don't feel right to shoot, but the graphics are really good (I don't get why people seem to think they're bad), desrutctability is awesome, and the actual gameplay seems fun, when I'm not getting killed by a tank every 60 seconds.

Am I just too new to the franchise? Is it like a highly tactical game or really team oriented? I keep joining squads but no one seems to be using a mic and the other people don't seem very good. I feel like I suck at the game, yet I always seem to be the one saving my squadmates from enemy infantry, so maybe I just need to find some better players... anyway I'll probably give it a rental when it comes out to check out the campaign and the other MP maps. Don't hate on the game before it's even out guys!

#37 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -
@Matthew said:
" @TheMustacheHero said:
"The guns are less detailed...the controls are clunky...The cars lag...it lags a bit...It takes a lot of bullets to kill guys...It all feels very clunky. "
It seems like the majority of what you posted can be related to the fact that this is a Beta.  This is before the game goes gold, before a demo is released...you do realize you're helping the developer with bugs and such right? "
I do realize that, but then again I wasn't playing to help with bugs or glitches, these were all problems with the first Bad company and were not improved upon in any shape or form.
#38 Posted by grotto (18 posts) -
@Adamantium said:
" I"ve been giving the beta a pretty fair trial but I just can't get into the game. Maybe it's because this is my first time with a BF game (besides a terribly short time with a BFBC rental which left me disappointed). Controls feel heavy/clunky like Killzone 2, guns don't feel right to shoot, but the graphics are really good (I don't get why people seem to think they're bad), desrutctability is awesome, and the actual gameplay seems fun, when I'm not getting killed by a tank every 60 seconds.  Am I just too new to the franchise? Is it like a highly tactical game or really team oriented? I keep joining squads but no one seems to be using a mic and the other people don't seem very good. I feel like I suck at the game, yet I always seem to be the one saving my squadmates from enemy infantry, so maybe I just need to find some better players... anyway I'll probably give it a rental when it comes out to check out the campaign and the other MP maps. Don't hate on the game before it's even out guys! "
Yeah, you can't play a battlefield game like a cod game - that is one of the downfalls of the game.  It is a team based game, so having a lot of lonewolfs trying to camp and get points usually leads to an overall loss, whereas a COD or Halo type game actually rewards going it on your own - both your team and yourself.  To play a battlefield game well you need to take a class and master it, and once you do move on to the next class.   Unfortunately, most people come into the game like they are playing Halo and COD and ruin the game both for themselves and everyone else. I'm not saying you are this type of player, just saying that battlefield games (should) have a different feel from the COD/Halo clones that people are used to and it can be hard to adjust (as a long time BF fan who has been playing mw2 lately, I know that I had trouble adjusting).

I like the control scheme and the "weight" of the weapons, but that is a design choice by the developers.  It is hard to estimate with a controller what a gun feels like in your hands - I think they are just trying to differentiate themselves from COD here. i actually like the way that it doesn't allow you to walk quickly and have a steady shot and the way an assault rifle or machine gun will rise on you when you rapid-fire. 
#39 Posted by Adamantium (885 posts) -
@grotto said:
" Yeah, you can't play a battlefield game like a cod game - that is one of the downfalls of the game.  It is a team based game, so having a lot of lonewolfs trying to camp and get points usually leads to an overall loss, whereas a COD or Halo type game actually rewards going it on your own - both your team and yourself.  To play a battlefield game well you need to take a class and master it, and once you do move on to the next class.   Unfortunately, most people come into the game like they are playing Halo and COD and ruin the game both for themselves and everyone else. I'm not saying you are this type of player, just saying that battlefield games (should) have a different feel from the COD/Halo clones that people are used to and it can be hard to adjust (as a long time BF fan who has been playing mw2 lately, I know that I had trouble adjusting). I like the control scheme and the "weight" of the weapons, but that is a design choice by the developers.  It is hard to estimate with a controller what a gun feels like in your hands - I think they are just trying to differentiate themselves from COD here. i actually like the way that it doesn't allow you to walk quickly and have a steady shot and the way an assault rifle or machine gun will rise on you when you rapid-fire.  "
Cool, cool. Well thx for the reply. Yeah I respect that it's not just another CoD clone. Like I said it feels much more like KZ2 to me, though I like the vehicle combat too. I try not to take my preconceptions about one game and put them on another, because that kind of bias can ruin a perfectly good game for someone. Still, I find myself better with less" heavy" feeling controls, though I don't think it's a fault of the game, just the way I play (more twitchy).

Seems like you're saying I need to figure out the class-based play a little more. The way your character moves in BFBC2 isn't a problem for me, I like the idea that you don't feel like you're "floating" or "gliding" around (for lack of a better term), like it feels in those other games you mentioned; and I can get used to the feeling of shooting, but I am going to have trouble getting used to aiming (I had to crank up my sensitivity like crazy). Which classes are most accesible to both stealth and run 'n gun styles? Those are the two I play most often in other shooters. That being said, I still like BC2 way more than than the first one. I hope it has good persistence because it definitely has some potential for good online MP that isn't just plain old infantry fighting.
#40 Edited by big_jon (5782 posts) -
@Xakura said:

"Damn the ps3 only beta, can't wait to play this. Also, going home for christmas, so no pc-beta either for a while. Still play the first one though, almost every night. (VSS is for nubs) "

I was the same, but yesteday I got a free PS3 slim. Now I have the Beta, its pretty good.
#41 Posted by Seppli (10250 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero said:
" They stripped out everything that was great about Bad Company, it's seriously a major bummer. This is basically Battlefield: Modern Combat with destructible environments.  Also, you can't kill dudes with the defibrillator. Just tried it today, maybe it was lag, but when I went up behind him and zapped him, he just turned around and shot me. "
I did get a defib kill. I rezzed a teammate as a bad guy came around the corner. Needless to say, he was stunned!

I took me a while too to get used to the ballistics and bullet damage, but after over 24 hours of playtime and can savely say, BF:BC 2 is a step up to BF:BC 1 in every aspect of the game. What exactly don't you like? My bet is, you'll just need to get over your own shadow. It plays fantastic.
#42 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -
@Adamantium said:

" I"ve been giving the beta a pretty fair trial but I just can't get into the game. Maybe it's because this is my first time with a BF game (besides a terribly short time with a BFBC rental which left me disappointed). Controls feel heavy/clunky like Killzone 2, guns don't feel right to shoot, but the graphics are really good (I don't get why people seem to think they're bad), desrutctability is awesome, and the actual gameplay seems fun, when I'm not getting killed by a tank every 60 seconds.  Am I just too new to the franchise? Is it like a highly tactical game or really team oriented? I keep joining squads but no one seems to be using a mic and the other people don't seem very good. I feel like I suck at the game, yet I always seem to be the one saving my squadmates from enemy infantry, so maybe I just need to find some better players... anyway I'll probably give it a rental when it comes out to check out the campaign and the other MP maps. Don't hate on the game before it's even out guys! "

Generally, when the controls 'feel' bad, you sprint too much. When you sprint, it takes a fraction of a second to get your gun back up. Also, you got a bit of momentum when you sprint. Strafing doesn't work until  you stop sprinting. Bottomline - only sprint, when you really must. Sprinting for cover for example. Sprinting from cover to cover under sniperfire. When an enemy can be expected around any corner, don't sprint. The controls are perfect, as long as you don't sprint around in inappropriate moments. It's called gamedesign. Balancing the positive effect of sprinting (going somewhere faster than usual) with a negative effect (gaining forward momentum and not being ready to fire immediately) - so the player must make a choice. Making the right one at the right time is called 'Skill'. You wouldn't believe how many nubs run into me and die, because of their liberal use of sprinting. BF:BC 2 isn't a run and gun game. Simple as that. 

Also - the number of snipers on your squad/team is a good indicator of the quality of players. Unless the sniper is within 15sec sprint-time to an objective and has an angle on it, it's a shitty sniper. Also, the game is designed in a way, that the skirmish over the crates should always be heated. If that's not the case, your team has either too many snipers or the players in the room, don't have any balls and brains. In a good squad, that sticks together, the action will never cease. The sniper serves a perfect vantage point and squad respawn, as he sneaks up on the objective, a medic will revive you, the engineer pressures the crate with RPGs, assault drops ammo crates and is perfect to hold down strategic positions. I got to say. 1 out of  3 rooms in the beta is full of tards. Another one is decent and fun. Lastly - some rooms are full of veterans, who've played Battlefield for over a franchise and have evolved into better players. Covering all angles, using their kit to its fullest. Real frontlines. Real squad teamplay. Just as good, even better, than trailers depict it.
#43 Edited by big_jon (5782 posts) -

One of the largest improvements is the tank driving.  They feel real from the sound of the t-90s diesel engine growl to the way they hit low gear when the climb hills. The gun play is better too, I few less bullets to kill. I find the classes are much more balanced though I do miss my support with his 2.2 K/D ratio. lol OH and no more stupid laser designators! YAY
#44 Posted by ExcessDebris (146 posts) -

This is going to make me sound lame but I wish you leveled up a little faster, at least at first. I mean I played a bit but I don't really feel compelled to play more when I have Dragon Age and AC2 sitting right there.

#45 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@DrHorrible256 said:
" This is going to make me sound lame but I wish you leveled up a little faster, at least at first. I mean I played a bit but I don't really feel compelled to play more when I have Dragon Age and AC2 sitting right there. "
I think that they made it that way because in the first game, it seemed like levelling up went too fast. I reached the top rank in a week of playing back then.
#46 Posted by Seppli (10250 posts) -

Leveling up is such a small thing. It's just a dangling carrot. It's metagame.

Personally - it's the core gameplay, that keeps me coming back to Battlefield games. War machinery, guns, marksmanship, tactical behavior, battle awareness - in short, epic fucking firefights on more or less completely destructable and deformable maps, garnished with the best surround sound in gaming.

#47 Posted by Boiglenoight (537 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero said:
" They stripped out everything that was great about Bad Company, it's seriously a major bummer. This is basically Battlefield: Modern Combat with destructible environments.  Also, you can't kill dudes with the defibrillator. Just tried it today, maybe it was lag, but when I went up behind him and zapped him, he just turned around and shot me. "
I disagree with you.  However, I concur that the defib should kill opponents, if just for the hilarity factor.  Played about 3-4 hours of the beta so far, I agree that controls need work.  I *don't* like using the d-pad to select weapons and equipment.  What I would love, LOVE to see is DICE let us be big kids by allowing us to map what we want to where ever we want.  What would REALLY change the landscape and bring a lot of PC gamers into the fold would be to provide mouse and keyboard support.  I use my Apple bluetooth keyboard for the PS3 for messages; it's perfect.  But man, my coffee table is well-suited as a mousing surface as well, and mouse and kb support would just be fantastic.  In other words, bring a lot of the customization and control options to the console already.  Also, server browser.  Am I just screaming in the wind here?
#48 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

The gameplay is great and the unlocking system is pretty cool. The only complaint is the level it too frickin bright. My eyes were burning...

#49 Posted by Celegus (82 posts) -

It's... meh. I guess it's okay, but I certainly wouldn't pay money to play it. And is it just me, or is the text in this game really incredibly hard to read? Like player names, weapon descriptions, when pins show up, etc - I can't read any of it unless I squint and move up closer to the TV. I've never had this problem with any other game (running 1080i HDMI).

#50 Posted by Boiglenoight (537 posts) -
@SpikeSpiegel said:
" The gameplay is great and the unlocking system is pretty cool. The only complaint is the level it too frickin bright. My eyes were burning... "
Word.  Arica is a sun bleached wasteland, apparently.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.