BC2: Vietnam for $30? BF3 on consoles? Stuff!

Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

Battlefield 3

Wow! Rumors of Battlefield 3 have been floating around the internet for 2-3 years now, but there was never any official word from Electronic Arts until June 2009, when, during a financial call, Battlefield 3 was said to be a game that was "looking very good".  

Not much of an announcement for such an anticipated title, right? 

Then...

Since then, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 was released with quite high critical acclaim and sales. The support for the game has been adequate, considering the lag issues that never quite seem to be solved. The VIP map packs added new breath into the game, but were too slow to come out, or at times added too little content.  

The prospect of a Bad Company 1 map pack seem grim, despite Electronic Arts asking if we would like Bad Company 1 maps, via the Battlefield facebook page. But Vietnam is on the horizon, what can we expect from that? 

Vietnam

The Vietnam expansion will have 4 maps with Rush and Conquest, and will include vietnam-era weapons and vehicles. I can see EA charging $30 for the expansion (as the expansion for Dragon Age Origins -- Awakening -- was priced at $30) But is 30$ too much? From the sounds of it, there will be no single-player content, but if the each of the four maps support Rush, Conquest, Squad Rush, and Squad DM, and there are all of the vietnam weapons and vehicles, I think they can justify a $25 price-point. 

So, what do you think about Vietnam? How much content would you want if EA were to charge $30? 

Back to Battlefield 3...

So, Battlefield 3 got one poor announcement via a financial call, and now it get's announced via a beta-key tie in with the upcoming Medal of Honor?  

So what's the deal with Battlefield 3, does EA not want to properly announce the game? They could have announced it at E3 with a trailer, but I am guessing they either A) did not want to over-saturate their conference with shooters or B) Battlefield 3 is not ready to show. At all. 

I am leaning towards option B. Since nothing has been shown of Battlefield 3, and EA is being hesitant to talk about it, I am guessing it is in the early stages, despite being developed since 2009. Clearly someone at EA has some doubts about Medal of Honor, and decided that packing in a beta key for Battlefield 3 would help sales. From the looks of it, MoH needs all the help it can get on the multiplayer side of things. 

Anyways... let's talk about Battlefield 3, shall we? 

Up next... Battlefield 3.
#1 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

Battlefield 3

Wow! Rumors of Battlefield 3 have been floating around the internet for 2-3 years now, but there was never any official word from Electronic Arts until June 2009, when, during a financial call, Battlefield 3 was said to be a game that was "looking very good".  

Not much of an announcement for such an anticipated title, right? 

Then...

Since then, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 was released with quite high critical acclaim and sales. The support for the game has been adequate, considering the lag issues that never quite seem to be solved. The VIP map packs added new breath into the game, but were too slow to come out, or at times added too little content.  

The prospect of a Bad Company 1 map pack seem grim, despite Electronic Arts asking if we would like Bad Company 1 maps, via the Battlefield facebook page. But Vietnam is on the horizon, what can we expect from that? 

Vietnam

The Vietnam expansion will have 4 maps with Rush and Conquest, and will include vietnam-era weapons and vehicles. I can see EA charging $30 for the expansion (as the expansion for Dragon Age Origins -- Awakening -- was priced at $30) But is 30$ too much? From the sounds of it, there will be no single-player content, but if the each of the four maps support Rush, Conquest, Squad Rush, and Squad DM, and there are all of the vietnam weapons and vehicles, I think they can justify a $25 price-point. 

So, what do you think about Vietnam? How much content would you want if EA were to charge $30? 

Back to Battlefield 3...

So, Battlefield 3 got one poor announcement via a financial call, and now it get's announced via a beta-key tie in with the upcoming Medal of Honor?  

So what's the deal with Battlefield 3, does EA not want to properly announce the game? They could have announced it at E3 with a trailer, but I am guessing they either A) did not want to over-saturate their conference with shooters or B) Battlefield 3 is not ready to show. At all. 

I am leaning towards option B. Since nothing has been shown of Battlefield 3, and EA is being hesitant to talk about it, I am guessing it is in the early stages, despite being developed since 2009. Clearly someone at EA has some doubts about Medal of Honor, and decided that packing in a beta key for Battlefield 3 would help sales. From the looks of it, MoH needs all the help it can get on the multiplayer side of things. 

Anyways... let's talk about Battlefield 3, shall we? 

Up next... Battlefield 3.
#2 Edited by Evilmetal (468 posts) -

$30 ... is a lot. $25 is a lot too.

4 maps with different modes and weapons... big deal. A quick google search and we can find many many many free Counter-Strike weapon models. EA trying to convince us that they are shitting gold? come on.  The fact that they want to charge $2, for each of the 4, skin color changes in BC2 shows what kind of value is in their mind.  It really isn't even a color change, the content they are charging for is already included in the single player game... adding insult to injury..

They derive these prices because they think "they can get away with it"; not because the product has that value.

To be honest, I'd like to see EA offer the SPECACT with a 'whatever price you want' deal. I bet you no monetary amount [a gentleman's bet], that nobody will give more than $1 for all 4. 

I'm a VIP, I should be doused with VIP'ness; but instead they are providing access to locked modes. Do you see this? They are applying a value to MODES! That to me is pathetic and an insult to VIP'ness.  :-D

If they  did a 'whatever price you want' deal  with Vietnam, I'd say 5-7 dollars with 9 being tops. There's no box, no media. It's a quick hack job to rape the easy fools. They haven't even fixed VOIP. Even the DICE employees use 3rd party VOIP; then what did they develop?   Weak.

What is up with these EA/DICE games. Soon I'm going to start thinking they are purposefully handicapping their games so they can waste time, fixing things that should work day 1, after the release to keep us occupied until their next product...

#3 Posted by FirePrince (1767 posts) -

Battlefield 3 beta key included with MOH makes perfect sense. 
Perfect sense.
#4 Posted by mosdl (3259 posts) -

Vietnam depends on how many maps reall,y for $20 I expect a lot of content.

#5 Posted by natetodamax (19220 posts) -

$30 for 4 maps and a few vehicles and weapons is kinda high.

#6 Posted by Vonocourt (2168 posts) -

Anything more than $20 for Vietnam means no sale for me.

#7 Posted by Peacemaker (1107 posts) -

If Vietnam is just MP stuff(which it seems it is).  It couldn't cost more than 20.  

#8 Posted by ISuperGamerI (1880 posts) -
@Vonocourt said:
" Anything more than $20 for Vietnam means no sale for me. "
Same I think expansions should only be around $20 CND because we also have to pay a lot for tax and other things.
#9 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Battlefield: It was a lot of fun. I spent thousands of hours with you, but it's time we must go our separate ways. RIP.

My condolences to the talented actual BF staff DICE laid off. You will be missed.

I would have paid $30 for a stand-alone BF Vietnam multiplayer only game. Especially since THAT'S WHAT WE USED TO PAY WHEN THEY USED TO MAKE REAL BF GAMES. $30 for an addon is just fucking stupid though. Especially since BF never ever even needed a singleplayer mode to being with.

#10 Posted by lizcav (62 posts) -

I suspect that if they charge even $20 for it that there are not going to be to many purchases. Most people who play BC2 will be happy with the vanilla game/will have no interest in a Vietnam setting. 

#11 Posted by Donos (1197 posts) -

Just wondering, what's the source on all this info about the Vietnam pack, because these details really don't make sense to me. Considering how BC2's marketing was so heavily focused on specifically avoiding the shitty points on MW2, it seems strange that they would now choose  to put out a questionably expensive map pack.

Actually, here's a random thought: Put this out for $20 for VIPs, and a $25 version which includes a VIP code for non-VIPs.

#12 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

Sorry about the idea of a $30 price-point. Looking back, that price is pretty ridiculous, and was only speculation. 

The Dragon Age expansion was $30, but it had a new story, characters, and voice acting.  

1943 was four maps, with only three classes on each side... and only conquest, and was $15.  

So I guess $20 makes a lot more sense. Sorry for that outlandish idea.

#13 Posted by Donos (1197 posts) -
@Jayross:  It's no problem. Reading back over the post, I can see now where you said you were speculating. Blast my internet habits of reading the topic line and making assumptions.

On the whole though, I'd actually rather have a larger expansion for $30 than just 4 maps for $15 - $20, but we'll see what happens.
#14 Posted by Sogeman (878 posts) -

Since EA bitched so much about the 1200 points MW2 mappacks they can't really go over that price themeselves. I expect it to be 800 points. Anymore and I won't buy it. It's just maps and weapons after all.

#15 Posted by Seppli (10250 posts) -

Battlefield 3 will be properly revealed at GamesCom in Germany. Fact.

#16 Posted by Seppli (10250 posts) -

Also - pretty certain Vietnam will be as pricey as DA:O Awakening. Don't fool yourself otherwise. Also - you will get it. Despite the pricing.

#17 Posted by Animasta (14730 posts) -

wait, wasn't Awakening 40?

#18 Edited by Jayross (2365 posts) -
#19 Posted by InfamousBIG (3227 posts) -
#20 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1478 posts) -

Will anyone even buy BF3 on consoles?

#21 Posted by Andrela (622 posts) -

I'd pay €60 for Bad Company Vietnam. Just sayin

#22 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -
@No0b0rAmA: Is that a rhetorical question? I would/will.
#23 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1478 posts) -
@Jayross:
Your not going to buy it on PC?!??!?! 
Blashtpahmy! Go clense yourself heretic!
#24 Posted by RoyaleWithCheese (39 posts) -

The expansion will likely cost $15 dollars, the same as Battlefield 1943, which was also a repackaged piece of Battlefield nostalgia containing era-specific models and four "new" maps.  I suspect they're releasing BC: Vietnam with hopes of recreating the success of 1943.

#25 Posted by Alphawolfy (325 posts) -

I'm only going to get BFBC2 VIetnam if it's around the same price as 1943. There's too many "big" releases coming out this Fall that I am anticipating to spend more than $15 on only multiplayer stuff. I DO really like Bad Company 2 (heck, I do commentaries on my gameplay on Youtube), but there are other games I want to play :P 

As for BF3, I'll have to wait and see what it's like. Back in the days of BF2 I didn't really buy games at all; just played demos for as long as they could keep me interested. But I enjoyed it, so I will definitely be keeping an eye on BF3. Not interested at all in MOH though; somehow I preferred when they stayed with the WWII setting (Airborne had some nice ideas) instead of following CoD in doing a modern setting. 

#26 Posted by owenneil (124 posts) -

If the Vietnam add-on was 30 bucks it better have everything that was in the original Battlefield: Vietnam.    
#27 Edited by illmatic19 (964 posts) -
@Seppli said:

" Battlefield 3 will be properly revealed at GamesCom in Germany. Fact. "

I hope you're right, now you got my hopes up.
#28 Posted by Redbullet685 (6090 posts) -

Knowing EA it will probably be $30, when I think it should be $20.

#29 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -
@Jayross said:

" @Laketown: 30 USD   http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-Origins-Awakening-Xbox-360/dp/B0032LTVWW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1281226835&sr=8-1   (edit: okay, there was a price drop, it was originally $40.)

@Seppli:  Fact? The stories I have heard is that there will be no BF3 presence at GamesCom, which makes sense, since MoH and BF3 are the only top-tier shooters coming from EA for the next year or so. I don't think EA will overshadow MoH with anything about BF3. "

Actually, it makes perfect sense. MoH's first print, the so called Tier 1 edition, is being promoted with added BF3 beta access, as you certainly know. Having the hots for BF3 is an almost guarantueed sale more for MoH. It worked on me.

Besides - I overheard something on a 1up.com podcast about how there's gonna be a proper reveal soon.  I don't expect much more than that stylized teaser trailer we first got for BF:BC 2. The one with the smoking infantry man and the circle of death thingy going on...

Betcha there's gonna be a namedrop at EA's conference at GamesCom as well as a reveal teaser/trailer in connection with whatever else they do for Medal of Honor. Because that's what's gonna happen. Fact.

Fact. Fact. Fact.
#30 Posted by FireBurger (1479 posts) -
@No0b0rAmA said:
"

"
Yes.
#31 Edited by Donos (1197 posts) -
@FireBurger said:

" @No0b0rAmA said:

"

"
Yes. "
Given the choice between the PC and console versions, I'll be buying the console one anyways. WASD movement in an FPS just ain't right.
#32 Posted by AngeTheDude (700 posts) -
@Donos said:
WASD movement in an FPS just ain't right. "  

Words that rhyme with "trolling!"
#33 Posted by Donos (1197 posts) -
@AngeTheDude:  This may not be the thread for it, but I'm serious about that. You have to admit that an analog stick will give you more granular control over movement than a set of buttons, and that's what I like. Just look at the lean keys. Many PC shooters require an extra pair of lean keys, because thats the only way to give PC players the ability to make tiny movements that are easily accomplished with a stick.
#34 Posted by Nadafinga (959 posts) -

If BC2: Vietnam is just 4 new multiplayer maps with new character skins and some new weapons, I think $20 would be a fair price. 4 maps isn't very many, but with 1943 charging $15 for 3 maps, I could see a $20 price. 

But I could see EA charging anywhere from $15-$30.

#35 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -
@Donos: eh... I like being able to hold down forward while strafing to the left or right, while sprinting.  

On the consoles doing that can be tricky.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.