Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

Buying vs. Renting

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Andorski

So Amazon.com posted BFBC2 as their Deal of the Day ($46.49 for consoles, $36.49 for PC).  I've been meaning to jump on this game, and now seems to be a better time than ever.  Still, I do have a Gamefly account and am wondering whether I should buy it or rent it.  I know buying it gets you a VIP pass for exclusive stuff, but I'm not really knowledgeable on the specifics.

So if I do buy it, what am I getting versus just renting it?  If you want, you can throw in your own opinions on whether the stuff exclusive to new buyers is worth it.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

A very nice long term online game. Free online maps..and a nice community. 

If you want me two cents. You click that buy button now!  

Even on the same maps. It will play different each time because of the factors of blowing though a wall and all that. 

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By gla55jAw

I rented it off Gamefly and wound up buying it because a lot of my friends have it and it is a lot of fun. If you use the "keep it" off gamefly it comes to just a few more $ (48 I think), so I would just rent it to see if you like it first.

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By unclejohnny79

i rent old games i missed  when im bored to give them a go and buy new games that look alright

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#5  Edited By citizenkane

I have been thinking of just going ahead buying it instead of renting it through GameFly, too.  It's only $50 at Best Buy.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By xMP44x

This game is a buy. Don't rent it, because you won't get the same enjoyment from it. $46 translates to roughly £25 here, so that is a very reasonable deal. Buy it for whatever system you want, and you'll get a very good long term online game and a decent story thrown in as well. Oh, and here's what VIP works out as: 

• Free in a new copy of the game - $15 otherwise 
    • Free maps and content 

Not bad, I have to say. They've released two map packs, if you can call them that, that are free for VIPs. I highly recommend you get this game new, because you'll get VIP, and you'll be able to keep the game forever. And trust me: with Bad Company 2, you will want to keep it forever. It's a very addictive game online. But it's entirely your own choice. I recommend you watch some gameplay videos on YouTube, and see if you like the look of the gameplay.
    Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Three0neFive

Renting has the same effects as piracy. If you complain about piracy then turn around and rent games you are a terrible person.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Andorski
    @Three0neFive said:
    " Renting has the same effects as piracy. If you complain about piracy then turn around and rent games you are a terrible person. "
    Uhh, what?  Gamefly buys the games for it's customers to rent.  With your argument, you can say that lending a friend a copy of a game is equal to piracy.  I think it's more apt to say that renting is the same as the used game market, which I have no qualms about.  I'm an advocate of owning the content -- not owning the rights to the content.

@CitizenKane said:
    " It's only $50 at Best Buy. "
    Good thing.  I was tired from work and ended up napping past the expiration of Amazon's DotD.

I'm just going to pick this game up after work.
    JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JokerSmilez
    @Three0neFive said:
    " Renting has the same effects as piracy. If you complain about piracy then turn around and rent games you are a terrible person. "
    What? Ya, stealing a game is the definitely the same as paying to try out a game....
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Three0neFive said:
    And with that comment the universe implodes from idiocy
    xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By xMP44x
    @Three0neFive said:
    I'm sorry, but LOLWHAT? Renting is not illegal. Games that are rented are being paid for. By both the customer, and the retailer. Do you think the retailer is illegally pirating the game and then selling the use of it to customers? No, really, please do respond because I am extremely curious as to how his works. Renting is legal, and you won't be arrested for renting a game. Now, pirating one is a different matter, and you could well be arrested for that. Please do explain this viewpoint. As stupid as it sounds I want to find out how the hell this works for you. I know it doesn't make sense for the two people above me.
    Mr402

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Mr402
    @Three0neFive said:
    "Renting has the same effects as piracy. If you complain about piracy then turn around and rent games you are a terrible person. "

Renting is about making a informed decision.   Cause let's face it at 60 dollars a pop  gaming is a expensive hobby.  I rent most everything before I buy including BFBC2 which once I played it and realized how fun it was I purchased it from Gamefly.  Another example is FFXIII I read some import impressions and from the sounds of those canceled a preorder I had for it.   I decided to wait for gamefly to ship it to me.   Glad I did because the game was the worst in the series and not worth my gaming dollars what so ever.   That is why I rent everything because hype and anticipation can lead to a big let down.   Gamefly is just a smart move if you ask me.  
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MrKlorox

Rent it only if you have no interest in the multiplayer. Actually you might as well just skip it entirely in that case. But if the multiplayer does interest you, you're gonna wanna buy it. New (or used only if more than $15 is taken off the new price -- cause you'll need to buy a VIP code unless bought new).

Purchasing a rental us the same thing as purchasing a used game. And a horrible idea for games like BFBC2 that have a premium content code... unless you're the first and only person to rent the copy.

@xMP44x: He's talking about how developers don't get paid per rental/pirated/used copy sold. Which is a shitty thing to do to the people responsible for making the game you enjoyed and to the industry you love. If you rent a game, then follow up by going out and buying a new copy, you're doing it right. Otherwise the developers get nothing for your enjoyment of THEIR product beyond the one single initial sale that you were not a part of.

@Andorski:

And I'm an advocate for paying the right people. Just cause you spent money doesn't mean shit if you gave it to the wrong entity.

Something EA's PDLC thing sounds like a good idea to me. Instead of renting a game for $15, you can spend that money on the PDLC and keep that part of the game and content permanently. If you decide you like it and want the whole thing, you can opt in and pay the remaining amount. I would totaly have done that with SKATE and MXvsATV REFLEX instead of buying one full and skipping the other entirely -- not counting the existing demos which were themselves pretty open and made me think of this back then. I wanted more than the demo but not as much as the full game, with the option to buy-in later.
    Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Alexander

Did you play the beta? Because that's all the demo you need unless you're one of those weird people that are only interested in the single player. Passed that, renting would be a pretty dumb idea.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JokerSmilez

What's with all the hate against renting? It's a cost effective and legitimate way to try out a game in a full capacity instead of just a demo.

I don't understand the whole "developers don't get paid if you don't buy it used". Last I checked, DICE had a revenue of over $147 million. They're really going to suffer if they don't get my $69.99... (I'm in Canada, games are more expensive here).

I'll "support the developer" when it comes to indie releases, XBLA and PSN releases, small studio stuff or things like Professor Layton, encourage the publisher to localize and sell the other games in the series, etc.

When buying a game from the second biggest publisher in the world, I'm not going to lose any sleep over them not getting my "new game" dollars. I bought the game used NOT from Gamestop - that's a rip off - but from a guy online for $50 flat. Even with a the $15 VIP code, I'm still saving money.

What troubles me about publishers trying to kill used game sales is it's a massive multi-billion dollar company trying to squash a perfectly legitimate market that lots of poor or cost-saving gamers have been relying on for years. I know people that only ever buy NEW games, and this effects them too because they trade in a lot of games to get their NEW games for a discount. If they find a way to completely eliminate the used game market (and/or rentals), what's to stop them from charging more for games? You think it's a rip off to pay $30-40 for a games on demand game? But why? Because you can buy it used for cheaper. What happens when you can't? They'll charge $100 for a download code. Or games will come with codes in the box that without them, the game is completely locked and useless.

sho76und3wd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sho76und3wd
    @JokerSmilez said:
    " What's with all the hate against renting? It's a cost effective and legitimate way to try out a game in a full capacity instead of just a demo.  I don't understand the whole "developers don't get paid if you don't buy it used". Last I checked, DICE had a revenue of over $147 million. They're really going to suffer if they don't get my $69.99... (I'm in Canada, games are more expensive here).  I'll "support the developer" when it comes to indie releases, XBLA and PSN releases, small studio stuff or things like Professor Layton, encourage the publisher to localize and sell the other games in the series, etc.  When buying a game from the second biggest publisher in the world, I'm not going to lose any sleep over them not getting my "new game" dollars. I bought the game used NOT from Gamestop - that's a rip off - but from a guy online for $50 flat. Even with a the $15 VIP code, I'm still saving money.  What troubles me about publishers trying to kill used game sales is it's a massive multi-billion dollar company trying to squash a perfectly legitimate market that lots of poor or cost-saving gamers have been relying on for years. I know people that only ever buy NEW games, and this effects them too because they trade in a lot of games to get their NEW games for a discount. If they find a way to completely eliminate the used game market (and/or rentals), what's to stop them from charging more for games? You think it's a rip off to pay $30-40 for a games on demand game? Buy why? Because you can buy it used for cheaper. What happens when you can't? They'll charge $100 for a download code. Or games will come with codes in the box that without them, the game is completely locked and useless. "

Nice post.  You are exactly right.  Not to mention that the company renting the game has to over time make their money back by renting that game in hopes that it doesn't become damaged and has to be replaced by purchasing another brand new copy.  Working at a video store I know how "respectful" people are when they rent. 
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17  Edited By Geno
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Three0neFive said:
    And with that comment the universe implodes from idiocy "
    If that were true, then it implies the universe has already imploded several billion times.
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Jayross

Buy it, because you will be playing it for a while, and the 4 maps that are out already are very good.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Three0neFive
    @Andorski said:
    " @Three0neFive said:
    Uhh, what?  Gamefly buys the games for it's customers to rent.  With your argument, you can say that lending a friend a copy of a game is equal to piracy.  I think it's more apt to say that renting is the same as the used game market, which I have no qualms about.  I'm an advocate of owning the content -- not owning the rights to the content.
    @JokerSmilez said:
    " @Three0neFive said:
    What? Ya, stealing a game is the definitely the same as paying to try out a game.... "
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Three0neFive said:
    And with that comment the universe implodes from idiocy "
    @Mr402 said:
    " @Three0neFive said:
    "Renting has the same effects as piracy. If you complain about piracy then turn around and rent games you are a terrible person. "
    Renting is about making a informed decision.   Cause let's face it at 60 dollars a pop  gaming is a expensive hobby.  I rent most everything before I buy including BFBC2 which once I played it and realized how fun it was I purchased it from Gamefly.  Another example is FFXIII I read some import impressions and from the sounds of those canceled a preorder I had for it.   I decided to wait for gamefly to ship it to me.   Glad I did because the game was the worst in the series and not worth my gaming dollars what so ever.   That is why I rent everything because hype and anticipation can lead to a big let down.   Gamefly is just a smart move if you ask me.   "
    Le sigh. Okay. So. How do I explain this in a way you people will understand.

Pirating: Some dude buys a copy of the game, puts it online and people download it. Many people will play this copy without compensating the developers, though some will chose to buy it if they end up liking the game enough. Pirate, however, does not profit from this chain of events.
    Renting: Some store buys a copy of the game, puts it on a shelf and charges people to play it. Many people will play this copy without compensating the developers, though some will chose to buy it if they end up liking the game enough. Store does profit from this chain of events.

If you believe renting games is a good way to save money on games without hurting the industry, you must also believe the same is true for piracy, as in the end they have the same effect.
    JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JokerSmilez
    @Three0neFive: 
    Except renting, you pay to play it for a very limited time, and if you want keep playing it, you have to buy it or rent it again. You never have to pay anything ever to pirate a game.

If renting games is destroying the industry, why are game publishing companies making them available for rental distributors like Gamefly? They're certainly not obligated to do so...
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Andorski
    @Three0neFive said:

Le sigh. Okay. So. How do I explain this in a way you people will understand.

Pirating: Some dude buys a copy of the game, puts it online and people download it. Many people will play this copy without compensating the developers, though some will chose to buy it if they end up liking the game enough. Pirate, however, does not profit from this chain of events.
    Renting: Some store buys a copy of the game, puts it on a shelf and charges people to play it. Many people will play this copy without compensating the developers, though some will chose to buy it if they end up liking the game enough. Store does profit from this chain of events.  If you believe renting games is a good way to save money on games without hurting the industry, you must also believe the same is true for piracy, as in the end they have the same effect. "

Pirating is the illegal production of copyrighted material.  Example: Someone puts a game up on torrent and 100 people download it.  That one copy the person posted online has now produced 100 additional copies for people to own.

Renting does not produce extra copies of copyrighted material.  If Gamefly has 100 customers who want to rent a game, they will need to buy 100 copies.  If an additional 100 people want to rent the game, the 100 copies that they currently sent out must be returned (i.e. the original 100 renters must relinquish ownership of said game) for others to rent.

How are you comparing the two?
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @JokerSmilez: Because in a free market capitalist model, what the customer wants, expects and will pay for is what they will get, even if it's to the detriment of the supplier.
    W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
    @Three0neFive: You realize that place like Gamefly and Blockbuster pay about four times what the game is worth. 
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Andorski
    @W0lfbl1tzers said:
    " @Three0neFive: You realize that place like Gamefly and Blockbuster pay about four times what the game is worth.  "
    Wait, really?  Why?
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Andorski:  Do you still not understand that the devs/pubs only get paid once per copy sold?
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Andorski
    @MrKlorox said:
    " @Andorski:  Do you still not understand that the devs only get paid once? "
    Who says they have a right to be paid for multiple uses of the same copy of their product?
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @W0lfbl1tzers said:
    " @Three0neFive: You realize that place like Gamefly and Blockbuster pay about four times what the game is worth.  "
    No they don't.  They pay a flat licensing fee to the RIAA and their associate institutions.  This is paid yearly on top the general cost of the games, movies and music they buy at HEAVILY discounted rates. You're wrong, sorry.
    Bindings1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bindings1

To be fair this "piracy" comvo is stupid. We all know renting is not piracy. Renting is what caused piracy lol. Think about it. People were fine paying to rent something at blockbuster or going to the movies. Then they raised prices, then raised them again and again.  Now people go, I am not paying that ridiculous price so I am going to download it. seriously 16.99 for a music cd? after the record companies promised to lower prices because they too said they were over-priced. I will pirate it. Going to the movies with your wife and spending close to $25...Download instead. 

Mono_Listo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By Mono_Listo

Depends on how long games hold your attention. Since this a BF game it will have some legs, but if you're the type of person that gets bored with a game after a few weeks (or less), may as well rent it.

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FirePrince

Buy it.Now.If it held my attention this long,then I think it will hold the attention of any FPS fan.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By Seppli

I already got 200+ hours of playtime. It will be a lot more before I move on to another online multiplayer shooter. It's the kind of game I can get into at any time. There are few games I go back to once I've moved on to other games. Battlefield is just something I can play over and over again. Just like Street Fighter IV or GTA IV. Every so often I'm gonna pop it in and play it. Most other games I'd rent, but there ain't such a thing as Gamefly around my parts.... *sadface* 

If you like online multiplayer shooters, you can't go wrong with BF:BC 2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.