Dear DICE, EA is wrecking your game.

• 65 results
#1 Posted by REDRUN (1410 posts) -

*RANT
For the past five days the EA Online server had been disrupting online multiplayer games. Players from all platforms would get kicked out of the game or would get an error message stating they can not connect to EA when searching for a game. I really enjoy what DICE had done to the game and is truely one of the best experiences I had in a while, but this connection issue is unacceptable. You can not play online whenever the EA server goes down and the EA server goes down constantly.  The moderator on the EA.com forums has only shown presence in deleting long threads of many BFBC2 owners reporting the problem and expressing their frustration. It is fustrating when the problem is reoccurring and downtime is not measured in minutes but hours.

/RANT

Now that said, has anyone here experienced the same problems?

#2 Posted by illmatic19 (964 posts) -

Yep, its a shame. Didn't the same thing happen to 1943 and the first Bad Company?

#3 Posted by natetodamax (19205 posts) -

It totally sucks and it really shouldn't happen, but at least they haven't been imprisoned by Activision.

#4 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

I would like for them to fix their online store for PS3 owners and not just say they are. *They made a blog post two days ago saying they would fix it that day...and well..still nothing* 

#5 Posted by Jeffsekai (7032 posts) -

They are fixing their servers right now, just wait. And what would you rather have laggy bullshit like MW2? I feel like a few days of this will be worth it in the long run.

#6 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

Like I've said before, if I could return this broken product... I would. EA needs to get their shit together, this has been going on for too long.  

I want to fucking play some stupid games when I'm off my stupid job, not dick around wishing to do so. 

#7 Posted by Tuggah (1072 posts) -

I haven't had any problems since last weekend. (on 360)

#8 Posted by swamplord666 (1760 posts) -

all i know (and i know it's very selfish) is that while my ps3 is getting fixed and i am not playing online, not many people are leveling up :D MWAHAHAHAHAHA

#9 Posted by REDRUN (1410 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
" They are fixing their servers right now, just wait. And what would you rather have laggy bullshit like MW2? I feel like a few days of this will be worth it in the long run. "
For 5 days of disruption. When the server goes down at night (11:00PM) , it won't come back on until someone shows up at the office (8:00 - 9:00AM). This is throughout all platforms, plus the frequency of disruption had been 2- 3 times a day racking up hours of downtime. I am debating on waiting it out or just trading this game in for Final Fantasy 13 at Gamestop ($35 trade in + 50% bonus = $52.50) and come back to BFBC2 when I see a price drop or used copy laying around.
#10 Posted by Jeffsekai (7032 posts) -
@REDRUN said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
" They are fixing their servers right now, just wait. And what would you rather have laggy bullshit like MW2? I feel like a few days of this will be worth it in the long run. "
For 5 days of disruption. When the server goes down at night (11:00PM) , it won't come back on until someone shows up at the office (8:00 - 9:00AM). This is throughout all platforms, plus the frequency of disruption had been 2- 3 times a day racking up hours of downtime. I am debating on waiting it out or just trading this game in for Final Fantasy 13 at Gamestop ($35 trade in + 50% bonus = $52.50) and come back to BFBC2 when I see a price drop or used copy laying around. "
sigh exactly lets just over react that will fix things.
#11 Posted by Chuggsy (554 posts) -
@REDRUN said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
For 5 days of disruption. When the server goes down at night (11:00PM) , it won't come back on until someone shows up at the office (8:00 - 9:00AM). This is throughout all platforms, plus the frequency of disruption had been 2- 3 times a day racking up hours of downtime. I am debating on waiting it out or just trading this game in for Final Fantasy 13 at Gamestop ($35 trade in + 50% bonus = $52.50) and come back to BFBC2 when I see a price drop or used copy laying around. "
You're going to trade in a game because it has early server problems? Jesus Christ you're impatient.
#12 Posted by REDRUN (1410 posts) -
@Chuggsy said:
" @REDRUN said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
You're going to trade in a game because it has early server problems? Jesus Christ you're impatient. "
There is so much downtime, I might as well play another game. P.S. don't call me Jesus.
#13 Posted by Chuggsy (554 posts) -
@REDRUN said:
" @Chuggsy said:
" @REDRUN said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
You're going to trade in a game because it has early server problems? Jesus Christ you're impatient. "
There is so much downtime, I might as well play another game. P.S. don't call me Jesus. "
Yeah, but you lose a bunch of money by trading it in, when you could just wait a few days and the servers will most likely be fixed.

But hey, your choice. Also hey, didn't realize it was you REDRUN. You should keep it so we can play together when the servers are back up, my friends are losers.
#14 Posted by REDRUN (1410 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:

" @REDRUN said:

" @Jeffsekai said:

sigh exactly lets just over react that will fix things. "
true, but user ReverendBurn of Youtube does it best when it comes to over reacting.

#15 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I like how so many people just overlook bad shit that is happening with BC2's multiplayer, but every problem with MW2 is the worst problem that has ever been in a video game.  And I'm not trying to say one is better than the other, it's just really funny to see people do that.

#16 Posted by Jeffsekai (7032 posts) -
@xobballox said:
" I like how so many people just overlook bad shit that is happening with BC2's multiplayer, but every problem with MW2 is the worst problem that has ever been in a video game.  And I'm not trying to say one is better than the other, it's just really funny to see people do that. "
This is launch week, I guarantee this will all be fixed by the weekend. MW2 has been out for months now ans still has shitty connectivity issues.
#17 Posted by Spoonman671 (4633 posts) -

It hasn't been so bad on the PS3 version.  I haven't been locked out of the servers for more than 10 or so minutes.

#18 Posted by Alexander (1721 posts) -
@illmatic19: as I recall 1943 had some serious server issues on release.
#19 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

PC version has been working just fine for me for the past couple of days.  I just click play now and it puts me into a good match every time.

#20 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -
@REDRUN:   that video was more than I expected hahahahaha
#21 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

I am about to get into a live chat. Any PS3 issues anyone wants me to ask them? 

#22 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:

" @xobballox said:

" I like how so many people just overlook bad shit that is happening with BC2's multiplayer, but every problem with MW2 is the worst problem that has ever been in a video game.  And I'm not trying to say one is better than the other, it's just really funny to see people do that. "
This is launch week, I guarantee this will all be fixed by the weekend. MW2 has been out for months now ans still has shitty connectivity issues. "
Sorry, I really don't see what you're talking about with the lag unless you're not in the U.S.  The only time I ever experience lag in MW2 is when my brother is downloading something or watching videos.  Unless you're talking about the PC version, in that case I don't know because I haven't played it on PC.  And I'm sure BC2 will be fine by the weekend, I'm not trying to shit on it.  I loved the first and plan to buy BC2 when some money comes my way.  It just astonishes me how tamely people are taking this compared to MW2's glitches, which I agree are really dumb.  After 1943's release, you would think EA would try to make sure their servers were in good enough condition to work when tons of people inevitably played it online the first day.
#23 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -
@xobballox said:
How the fuck is it being overlooked when you're posting in a thread about it?
#24 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -
@swamplord666 said:
" all i know (and i know it's very selfish) is that while my ps3 is getting fixed and i am not playing online, not many people are leveling up :D MWAHAHAHAHAHA "
The ps3 servers are running perfectly fine, so you're shit outta luck.
#25 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -
@Pinworm45 said:
" @xobballox said:
How the fuck is it being overlooked when you're posting in a thread about it? "
I'm talking about people defending this like it's a complete non issue.
#26 Posted by skyline7284 (506 posts) -

Welcome to Battlefield!

#27 Posted by MAN_FLANNEL (2462 posts) -
@xobballox said:
yup. 
#28 Posted by jkz (4025 posts) -
@xobballox said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
" @xobballox said:
This is launch week, I guarantee this will all be fixed by the weekend. MW2 has been out for months now ans still has shitty connectivity issues. "
Sorry, I really don't see what you're talking about with the lag unless you're not in the U.S.  The only time I ever experience lag in MW2 is when my brother is downloading something or watching videos.  Unless you're talking about the PC version, in that case I don't know  because I haven't played it on PC.  And I'm sure BC2 will be fine by the weekend, I'm not trying to shit on it.  I loved the first and plan to buy BC2 when some money comes my way.  It just astonishes me how tamely people are taking this compared to MW2's glitches, which I agree are really dumb.  After 1943's release, you would think EA would try to make sure their servers were in good enough condition to work when tons of people inevitably played it online the first day. "
I'm quite certain that many people take issue with many aspects of MW2's gameplay, map-structure, and balancing, where as BC2's issues are solely those linked to too-few servers, which are far more easily remedied. Yes these issues are utterly stupid and could have been avoided, but they are also far more easy to correct than are the issues many people have with MW2.
#29 Posted by Lambert (404 posts) -

EA servers just suck. I wish EA would stop being so arrogant about it.

#30 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Don't use the American Ea forums if you want a response. Use the UK ones because they are actually moderated and visited by the devs. Pretend the US EA forums don't exist... because they pretty much don't.

#31 Posted by sandwich_adjustment (685 posts) -

it should be fine eventually. last nights disconnect was damn annoying and i didnt return to play after it

#32 Posted by HolyCrapItsAdam (448 posts) -

I have experienced some connection issues but I am pissed for a completely different reason. I purchased the game day one and entered my VIP code. I downloaded the maps available and enjoyed playing on them. About a week ago, I linked my EA account with my gamertag so I can have the M1 rifle but now when I go into multiplayer, I get a message saying that I have not entered my VIP code yet. I go to re-enter the code and it says this code has already been used. WTF! I e-mailed EA about this issue about a week ago and still no reply. They say to expect a response within 24 hours but obviously that was a lie. Anybody else have this issue or am I SOL?

#33 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

Haha great video.  But I haven't had any problems.

#34 Posted by sandwich_adjustment (685 posts) -
@HolyCrapItsAdam: probably like 250,000 other players emailed EA with various stuff...i think you are SOL because when the dragon age DLC bullshit was happening not a single support email was answered. Once they get like more than 30 emails about the same thing they stop individually replying and just stay quiet until the thing resolves itself on the user's forums or a dev posts a solution or a patch is brought out.
#35 Posted by theMuse (208 posts) -

There have been some problems, but overall my game experience has not been ruined and the game is a friggin blast to play. I totally do not regret getting this game.

MW2 on the other hand...and that game had a flawless launch.

#36 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

It's a online multiplayer experience. I don't expect a 100% smooth experience. My many years with World of Warcraft have thought me not to expect otherwise. I'm playing on PS3 and don't have too many problems.

#37 Posted by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -

I've had some problems myself, but nothing that has been to much of a conviniance. There was one night a couple of days ago the servers where down all night, that bothered me a lot at the time, since all I had planed that day was to sit back and enjoy BC2. On the other hand the connection issues has so far only been good to me. I mean, I need a break from the game every so often. If not because of the connection issues I'd be sitting in playing all day...

Well, the connection problems has to go. Its weak on EA's side to fuck this up. You'd think such a well-established company like EA would be able handle such a thing.

#38 Posted by REDRUN (1410 posts) -

I have no gripes on the decisions they made in the game, both the Single Player Campaign and Multiplayer. My issue is at launch week, its crucial to keep as many players engaged in this game. Smoother launch week maybe month would have gamers wanting to hang on their copy of BFBC2; making availability in the used game market more scarce. In a perfect world, word of mouth would also contribute in building the BFBC2 community to insure full servers for many months to come and more content being delivered to all platforms. Even if obtaining a 1000 GS, I would like to stick to this game as long as the community is there to play or the next BFBC title to come. Creating frustration outside the game would inevitably get me to forfeit my copy. This is a problem unlike Modern Warfare 2 in which most of the game's problems are user based; this is a problem which is not the developers, but the people who publishes the game.
I am sure they would iron out the problems eventually; in the meantime, they should not ignore it. The EA.com forums was ablazed when downtime would reoccur without notice or announcement of maintenance. The moderator was doing damage control by not addressing the issue, but deleting the posts. The official twitter update (http://twitter.com/OfficialBFBC2)  was about events and pictures of hot girls; I noticed no mention of a service interruption or reassurance it would be back on later. Its the principle of being accountable. If they messed up, they should say "sorry, we messed up". Then maybe all would be just fine.

#39 Posted by Binman88 (3687 posts) -

I've had a few punkbuster kicks from specific game modes (rectified for the moment by just playing Rush), and the occasional server connection loss. The worst problem for me at the moment though is the lag. I'm joining low ping servers (47ish) and intermittently getting lag spikes, warping me back ten feet, usually resulting in my death. No idea if anyone else is having lag issues like me and I'm really hoping it's not my connection, which has treated me fine for the last 4 or 5 years of online gaming.

#40 Posted by BawlZINmotion (714 posts) -

Blast the world for not being perfect.

#41 Posted by Chuggsy (554 posts) -

Christ, now when you join a game you start at level 1. How the fuck does this even happen.

#42 Edited by stealthdf2 (168 posts) -

the games been out for only a week, give them time. if you guys knew the problems that BF2 had on PC when it was released you would be tanking EA for the problems you are having now.

when you start a game and it says you are level 1 thats just an error, you haven't lost any rank or anything. I mean i have been in a game for 20 minutes and seen my rank go from 20 to 1 and back to 20...but guess what i didn't care cause it doesn't actually effect anything at all. get over it and be patient. 

BF2 was Impossible to get in a game and then you got disconnected and the main menu was so choppy it would freeze up every 2 seconds and it took minutes just to move the mouse cursor across the screen.  if you tried to do a server browser refresh it would freeze and just sit there FOREVER.

they are going to have all this fixed soon just be patient. if you don't get used to online games having issues soon then you are never going to be happy with any game you ever get. 

You have to expect a game like MW2 or BFBC2 to have issues when there are so many people trying to play at once. servers must be adjusted for the load and tweaked for performance. 
i would rather have all these problems with BFBC2 than have even one of the problems MW2 has.

after typing all that i just found this
 http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2010/03/11/ea-maintenance-now-with-added-hardware.aspx

Tomorrow, 12th March, and Saturday, 13th March at 8:00GMT/9:00 CET:12:00 (midnight) PST, EA will take the servers down, this time we will come up with even more hardware with more capacity to handle all the BFBC2 traffic. Once the maintenance is complete you will experience an improvement to your online experience.

This will be extended maintenance to allow the new hardware to be installed and affect all three platforms (PC, PS3 and Xbox 360).

Since launch a week ago, BFBC2 has already put EA servers through the following stress:

• The 4 different soldier types have gathered a score of more than 34 Billion.
  • There's been more than 400M kills made.
  • 1.3M roadkills
  • Squads and Teams have assisted each other to 6.2 Billion points.

Now we are adding more capacity to let you smash those numbers multiple times over in the weeks to come.

#43 Edited by Flinty (17 posts) -
@Chuggsy:  Normally happens when one of the servers carrying the database goes down while you're still playing. Usually goes back to normal once the server is backup.

You'd think with the amount of money EA get they'd have their own datacentre now :P
#44 Posted by agentboolen (1782 posts) -

Sometimes network problems happen, i wouldn't be surprised if in a week the problems get fix, there probably getting more players then expected.

#45 Posted by stealthdf2 (168 posts) -
@Flinty: 
they probably do have their own datacentre, but even those need upgrading every now and then
#46 Posted by JellyFish_Gsus (769 posts) -

I have not had any in game problems, apart from not being able to access the PlayStation store.

#47 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
*Face palm* 

They do not have enough server space?....
#48 Edited by jmrwacko (2443 posts) -

I'm actually sort of impressed with the EA persistent rank servers. Much less problems than in BF2, I haven't once not had my rank and stats update instantaneously, whereas in BF2 there would be a 30 minute to hour update lag. I've only wanted to play and not been able to on two occasions because the EA servers were down, which are excusable at such close proximity to launch. Of course, I did lose my friends list the other day, which sort of sucked.

I'm of course talking only about problems that have affected everyone. There are people who haven't been able to connect to the EA servers since launch. I don't know what to tell you except to open your firewall ports and run the game in administrator mode if you have a 64-bit OS.

#49 Posted by Tennmuerti (8099 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:

" *Face palm*  They do not have enough server space?.... "

"We currently have enough server capacity to allow over 150,000 players to get in a game server at once and that is just on PC "
ONLY???
Wow they seriously thought it would be enough? Fail planning is fail...
#50 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@jmrwacko said:
" I'm actually sort of impressed with the EA persistent rank servers. Much less problems than in BF2, I haven't once not had my rank and stats update instantaneously, whereas in BF2 there would be a 30 minute to hour update lag. I've only wanted to play and not been able to on two occasions because the EA servers were down, which are excusable at such close proximity to launch. Of course, I did lose my friends list the other day, which sort of sucked.  I'm of course talking only about problems that have affected everyone. There are people who haven't been able to connect to the EA servers since launch. I don't know what to tell you except to open your firewall ports and run the game in administrator mode if you have a 64-bit OS. "
And the PS3 store for ingame is still down. Stat tracking on their site seems broken. Vet status is broken...diss connects in game.....So....what did I pay for again? 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.