Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

EA releasing BC2: Vietnam to go after the "Black Ops" market.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Jayross

This is a small story that I found interesting.

"And [EA] still has the Vietnam DLC pack due up this month, targeted specifically to go after the Call of Duty: Black Ops market."

This is a quote from the Shaknews article, as I don't have a direct quote.

That statement was in a financial call in which EA CFO talked about money they were making through digital sales. Battlefield: 1943 made $16 million, with a budget in the single-digit millions.

They also attribute money from BC2 coming from a "continuous stream" of DLC.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By zityz

The Black Ops market is the MW2 Market which is the anything thats CoD market. 

I don't know many people who play both BF:BC2 and the CoD games. Maybe 2. I doubt Vietnam is going to entice any of the Blops market to switch.  

I myself however am Excited to vietnam!

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By infininja

I own Black Ops and will be getting Vietnam. I don't think that's really saying much though. :p

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I don't think that taking a game that plays pretty differently from another game, and then making look sort of like the second game will attract as many people as they think. 

rift33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By rift33
    @Infininja:  I'm doing the same but like you said:
    "I don't think that's really saying much though"
    Just wanted to chime in though and let it be known that there are a few people who plane on playing both.
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By agentboolen

Aren't they getting tired of copying COD, I mean really COD does modern warfare, BF has to do it, now COD does Vietnam and now BF wants to do it.  Can't they come up with there own freakin ideas so we can have 2 different types of games!!!

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By infininja
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    " I don't think that taking a game that plays pretty differently from another game, and then making look sort of like the second game will attract as many people as they think.  "
    I know Black Ops takes place in Vietnam for a bit, but the games look completely different to me. Maybe someone not so dedicated would think otherwise. ?
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MrKlorox
    @agentboolen said:

" Aren't they getting tired of copying COD, I mean really COD does modern warfare, BF has to do it, now COD does Vietnam and now BF wants to do it.  Can't they come up with there own freakin ideas so we can have 2 different types of games!!! "

I think you got it backwards. BF had almost all of COD's big ideas first. COD4 wouldn't have been what it was if BF2 hadn't paved the way.

It seems EA is photocopying an already photocopied idea they had to begin with.
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DonPixel
    @agentboolen said:

" Aren't they getting tired of copying COD, I mean really COD does modern warfare, BF has to do it, now COD does Vietnam and now BF wants to do it.  Can't they come up with there own freakin ideas so we can have 2 different types of games!!! "

Other than the particular setting in the Vietnam add on Battlfield has done a lot of stuff prior to COD, (included the original bf vietnam back in 2004) .. COD is acutally a clon of CS which came back in 98, COD used to be a no one cares WW2 shooter, then after BF2 success they went "modern" with COD4.. perhaps you should know about FPS before posting dumb shit in the internet.  

Anyway COD and Battlefield are two diferent animals, I don't understand why people keep comparing them, other than they "Modern Warfare" shooters, gameplay, design, and general tone are really diferent. 
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By meteora

Doesn't really annoy me. More Vietnam games are good.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By mordukai
    @DonPixel said:
    " @agentboolen said:

Other than the particular setting in the Vietnam add on Battlfield has done a lot of stuff prior to COD, (included the original bf vietnam back in 2004) .. COD is acutally a clon of CS which came back in 98, COD used to be a no one cares WW2 shooter after BF2 success they went "modern" with COD4.. perhaps you should know about FPS before posting dumb shit in the internet.   Anyway COD and Battlefield are two diferent animals, I don't understand why people keep comparing them, other than they "Modern Warfare" shooters, gameplay, design, and general tone are really diferent.  "
    Could not have said it better myself. What I noticed that CoD player who come to BFBC2 have a hard time adjusting to the style of the game as it's so much different. The BFBC2 design completely negates the CoD design philosophy which in turn makes them to either say that the game SUXS or they just end up playing Team DM. 
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By 234r2we232
    @DonPixel said:

" @agentboolen said:

Other than the particular setting in the Vietnam add on Battlfield has done a lot of stuff prior to COD, (included the original bf vietnam back in 2004) .. COD is acutally a clon of CS which came back in 98, COD used to be a no one cares WW2 shooter, then after BF2 success they went "modern" with COD4.. perhaps you should know about FPS before posting dumb shit in the internet.  "
    I'm pretty sure the time of Battlefield being credited for original and interesting concepts has ended. At this point, they are very much intentionally following in CoD's shadow, and this has been the case for a while now. BF turned itself into this. It is as much credit to its faults as it is to it's merits. So yes, if BF does feel unoriginal at the moment, it's because it kinda is.

I agree, they are two very different breeds of FPS', but it is CoD that has been taking BF to school, not vice-versa.
    ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ShaunassNZ

I don't want to sound like an elitest jerk by saying this, but if mainstream CoD players gave BFBC2 a chance and worked out how to be a team and play the game, then they'll realise what a proper FPS is, oh, and we wouldn't have FUCKING montages on the interwebz anym0re!

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gizmo

As long as 'Nam games continue to have healthy doses of Deep Purple, CCR and Iron Butterfly, I am one happy hippy gamer.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Azteck
    @Gizmo: You forgot the obligatory Sympathy For The Devil by Rolling Stones
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gizmo
    @Azteck said:
    " @Gizmo: You forgot the obligatory Sympathy For The Devil by Rolling Stones "
    Man, at this point, FUCK that song.
    SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SomeJerk

I own Black Ops and I've put that mutha up on the virtual shelf with BC2:V pre-ordered. Six days until pre-order launch, if I read things right when I hit the EA Store.

And I don't think this was made to go for the Blops market in the first place. BF's been WW2, Vietnam, present and future. Future was a dump, WW2 is covered by 1943, present is done, Vietnam is the only thing left.

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By infininja
    @somejerk: 9 days, assuming you're talking about PC.
    withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By withateethuh
    @Mordukai said:
    " @DonPixel said:
    " @agentboolen said:

Other than the particular setting in the Vietnam add on Battlfield has done a lot of stuff prior to COD, (included the original bf vietnam back in 2004) .. COD is acutally a clon of CS which came back in 98, COD used to be a no one cares WW2 shooter after BF2 success they went "modern" with COD4.. perhaps you should know about FPS before posting dumb shit in the internet.   Anyway COD and Battlefield are two diferent animals, I don't understand why people keep comparing them, other than they "Modern Warfare" shooters, gameplay, design, and general tone are really diferent.  "
    Could not have said it better myself. What I noticed that CoD player who come to BFBC2 have a hard time adjusting to the style of the game as it's so much different. The BFBC2 design completely negates the CoD design philosophy which in turn makes them to either say that the game SUXS or they just end up playing Team DM.  "
    Well, not all, because I play both games and I can easily handle the switch no problem.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mordukai
    @withateethuh: Of course not all CoD players have problems playing BFBC2 but most do. In every match I play I hear them over the mic whining. 
    RavenX302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By RavenX302
    @MrKlorox said:

" @agentboolen said:

I think you got it backwards. BF had almost all of COD's big ideas first. COD4 wouldn't have been what it was if BF2 hadn't paved the way.  It seems EA is photocopying an already photocopied idea they had to begin with. "
    You may be right in a way, but Infinity Ward still did a great job with CoD4 and did inject some interesting ideas of their own as well as tinkering with preexisting ones. You could say that about a lot of games, certainly nowadays. BF was not the first FPS and Call of Duty's shooting and flow Vs Battle field's is extremely different. 

Besides, didn't BF already do Vietnam once? How did it all become EA and Battlefield are going after Call of Duty through theme? They really should be looking at ways of expanding their game play instead of their visual representation. To me, from the way CoD looks like it is going with its continuous sequel after sequel , EA should have more than a ample opportunity for create something fresh and original. Then again, it does all come down to the dollars and units your selling. 

Still, After playing Black ops and realizing that I need more than just the same old thing over and over again, I am certainly willing to give Battlefield another try and am more interested in what Battlefield will bring in the next few years than the CoD franchise.
    super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By super_machine

I hope not. BFBC2 tends to have more team oriented players, where COD has a lot more selfish bitch ass kids.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pinworm45

EA needs to stop saying stuff like this. They did the same thing with BFBC2 and it just comes off as some younger brother trying to live an older brothers life, but just not as good. 

(note that when I say not as good I mean sales wise, I play both games but prefer battlefield.)

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Jayross

It's just strange that, to "corporate EA", there is no difference between someone who plays Battlefield and someone who plays Call of Duty. 

The guy who made the comment was clearly thinking from a business perspective of things...

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Wuddel

Well I own BLOPS and enjoy it and will get the Vietnam-expansion. It is really not saying much. I owned every current-generation console game of both series. I kind of enjoy Battlefield more, because I like more "real" objective based gameplay. Strangely CoD got the better carrot on a stick with all the prestiges and challenges. (I do not have a clan or anything.)

fps_veteran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By fps_veteran

I find it odd, that so many poeple do not know history, or the chronological order of things. 

First off,  Call of Duty/Medal of honor are single player games with a Multi-player element. They are not a team-based, or strategy based mulitplyer games. Basically Arcade. 

Battlefield 1942  (2002) 
    Battlefield Vietnam  (2004) 
    Battlfield 2  (2005) 
    Battlfield 2142  (2006) 

Those^ are orginal DICE games, which are all Team based Multi-player (64 player) combat games, with physics and balistics.   

Then came the FPS craze on the consol market ...  which was stagnated from Golden Eye & Other side-by-side (split screen) shooters and endless raping of Teenagers w/ humorious releases of all the Medal Of Honor arcade games..! Which led to the Call of Duty franchise & the Consol FPS craze.  They are not real combat games and it is sad that most here don't understand the difference in ARCADE Game, verses ones that are based on real world physics and are a Combat simulator. 

Secondly, DICE is not coping Black Ops... lol They are re-releasing BF Vietnam under the new Frostbite engine, so that people (kids) within the consol market,  can get introduced  (get use to) team-based strategy on a large scale. Even though the PC version only has 32 players and the Consol Market even less...  it is still a nice solution/mix before BF 3 comes out. Which will be 50 vs 50... and utilize everything DICE has learned over the past 9 years of making PC games. 

Not sure if some of u even know, but many of the maps in BF vietnam were generated using USGA topigraphical maps are exactly like they are found in real life. Battlefield Bad Company was DICE foray, intro into consol market to teach the wipersnappers about real FPS games... and to show IW how it's done. BC2 was to show the new physic engine and how their games are not arcade, but real maps. BF3 will push this farther. 

It is just sad that some people here, don't understand that BC2: Vietnam was what many oldschool'ers were asking for...  right down to the radio knob that made getting high and playing BF Vietnam (with a bunch of buddies),  so fun 6 years ago. 

Black Ops was a marketing gimmick...  JEEP Comercials?   Can u even get in, and/or fly a helicopter, Scooter, tank, jet, etc...  or anything in an InfinityWard game?   Wake up! 

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Twitchey

While during my sixth prestige on Modern Shitstain 2 I saw Bad Company 2 at my local video store, 
    after seeing the war between them on the internet I decided to give it a try,  I was hooked during my first game.

The main difference I notice  is that in COD the multiplayer is suppose to test how YOU play, I have been in many search games where one guy kills everyone on the enemy team and I just sit there hoping I get to actually shoot someone or plant a bomb. While in Battlefield it actually feels like a (you know it) battlefield. You have mortars falling, helicopters flying over you, tanks destroying building, rockets flying over your head, and soldiers running into the enemy fighting till their last breath.   

So

hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By hicks91

i like battlefield so much i bought bad company 2, twice (one on xbox, then when i finally got a pc capable of running it on pc)

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By haffy

I used to be a big COD fan and thought BF looked clunky and boring. After getting it last week and playing it, it is probaly the second best online game Ive ever played next to Starcraft. The COD series is just ridicously boring now in my opinion. Too many gimmicks and rewarding bad play. In this game it feels like anytime you help your team your actually making a differance and get rewards for it. Also seems like the best team always wins and not some gimmicky shit like in COD.

Anyway is Vietnam worth picking up? Hows it differant from the normal multiplayer?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.