Finally - the Balance Patch for Console Versions on Tuesday

#1 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Almost a month after the PC version got its patch, it's finally the consoles turn to get the long-awaited balance tweaks for the game. 

Looking forward to it so much.

#2 Posted by yani (413 posts) -

What are the highlights as it were?  Are there major changes or is it all tweaking of stats?

#3 Posted by dutch42 (533 posts) -

funky fresh
#4 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -
Here's the copy n paste of the official battlefield blog post... 

Coming Tuesday, May 11th an update introducing multiple balance adjustments will go live for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of Battlefield Bad Company 2.  Included in this update are all the changes previously found in the Ch Ch Changes Blog Post as well as some additional tweaking and tuning based on feedback from our ever vocal PC community.  You can find the list of the most recent changes below, and the full list of previous changes in the Ch Ch Changes Blog Post.  Don't worry PC players, these new updates will soon be making their way to you in the very near future.

Slightly increased the damage of the UZI at long range.
The AKs74u now has more felt recoil when aiming.
The G3, VSS, and all SemiAutomatic rifles now settle slightly faster between shots when aiming.
The PKM, Type 88LMG, G3, An94, and 40mm shotgun have returned to their former glory.
Increased the damage of the MG3 to bring it in line with the rest of the LMGs.
Fixed a bug where the Saiga12 with slugs would do too much damage at long range.
Fixed a bug where the SVU would do too little damage at long range.
Fixed a bug where M95 rounds would not kill armored targets with headshots.

Join the discussion of these changes in our Forums.

With <3, Alan "Demize99" Kertz

Gameplay Designer, Battlefield Bad Company 2

#5 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -
And here's copy n paste of the complete list of changes, as seen in the official Battlefield blog... 

As requested by the community, here is the exhaustive all inclusive changelist of all balance updates made in the R10 Server update for PC.

Increased the base range of all Automatic and Semiautomatic weapons for more consistent close range combat.
Slightly increased the damage of Semiautomatic rifles over long range for more consistent damage output.

Increased the zoomed burst accuracy of LMGs and decreased LMG accuracy when moving to reduce LMG run and gun.
Decreased the base damage of the M60 and XM8 LMGs to bring them in line with the other LMG damage values.
Decreased the damage of the PKM over long range to balance it with other LMGs.
Increased the base damage of the Type88 LMG to balance it with other LMGs.

Slightly reduced the base damage of the M16 and G3 to balance the increased range.
Slightly increased the damage of the AEK971, F2000, AN94, and AUG over long range to balance them with other Assault Rifles.

Reduced the lethal blast range of the 40mm grenade and M2CG to highlight their role as a secondary weapon against infantry.
Slightly Reduced the max range of the 40mm shotgun to balance it with other shotguns.
Slightly increased the base damage of shotgun rounds and reduced their range to clarify ideal shotgun combat distance.

Reduced the base damage of the PP2000 to balance the increased range.
Increased the damage of the 9A91 over long range to balance its lower magazine size.

Increased the damage and range of the M9, M93 pistols to make them more desirable as a secondary weapon.
Increased the range of the MP443 pistol to make it more desirable as a secondary weapon.
Increased the damage of the MP412 over long range to balance its low rate of fire.
Slightly reduced the rate of fire of the M1911 pistol to balance it with other pistols.

Increased the repair and overheat speeds of the Power Tool. Now overheats sooner but repairs the same amount before overheating.
Increased the maximum number of Motion Sensors that can be carried from 2 to 3 and increased the speed which new sensors are acquired from ammo boxes.
Significantly increased the speed of the Tracer Dart projectile to make it more effective against airborne targets.
Increased the reload time of the Mortar Strike and reduced the damage it does to heavily armored vehicles.
Decreased the range of Bolt Action Sniper and Pump Shotgun Slug rounds when using Magnum Ammo for better Kit Balance, especially in Hardcore.
Slightly increased the Health of soldiers in Hardcore for better Kit Balance.

Increased the benefit from the Medkit Heal+ specialization to make it more desirable as a Specialization.
Decreased the benefit from Vehicle Reload Speed to balance it against other Vehicle Specializations.
Slightly decreased the benefit from accuracy specializations to balance the changes to range and accuracy tweaks.

Fixed a bug where the BMD3 would take extra damage to the front armor.
Reduced the explosive damage from Attack Helicopter cannons.
Increased the damage of AA guns against all targets. The AA gun should be much more effective against infantry on Port Valdez.

These changes will eventually make their way to the 360 and PS3 as we work with our partners Microsoft and Sony to continue to support BFBC2 on all platforms.

With <3, Demize99.

#6 Posted by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -

Sweet

#7 Posted by yani (413 posts) -

Will I notice any difference?  No, probably not.

Still, glad that they are keeping on top of things.

#8 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@yani said:

" Will I notice any difference?  No, probably not.  Still, glad that they are keeping on top of things. "

Sure you will. You will definitly notice the changes to the tracer dart gun (the PC community has already dubbed it 'LAZER' dart gun) and the increased lethality of the engineer's SMGs on medium to long range. Also Nuub-Tuubing (40mm Underbarrel HE grenade launcher and C2MG 'Carl Magnus' rocketlauncher) has been nerfed a bit, which should be noticeable too.
#9 Posted by yani (413 posts) -
@Seppli:  Glad they did something about the SMG, that was one of my few complaints about the game.  Also, longer reloads on mortar is probably a good thing.
#10 Posted by Creamypies (4044 posts) -

Well I literally got this game 2 days ago, so just in time for me! Glad to hear that the engineers SMG is getting a small upgrade.

#11 Edited by Geno (6477 posts) -

Sorry if I misread, but did they just buff the AN-94 again? Or is it just referring to the previous PC update from a couple weeks ago? 

#12 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@Geno said:

" Sorry if I misread, but did they just buff the AN-94 again? Or is it just referring to the previous PC update from a couple weeks ago?  "

Nah - the AN-94 will remain as it was from the get-go on consoles. The changes to the AN-94 will reverted on PC back to how it was before the first balance tweak. It's all good. The console balance patch just includes some fixes to the initial batch of tweaks made for PC. The PC crowd will get those fixes too. In this case, console players won't even notice anything.
#13 Edited by Tennmuerti (7957 posts) -
@Geno said:

" Sorry if I misread, but did they just buff the AN-94 again? Or is it just referring to the previous PC update from a couple weeks ago?  "

No they simply will not be changed in the console patch.
And I assume reverted later in the PC as well.

Yes here later posted:
" The PKM and Type88 received a damage buff in the first balance update on PC. That damage buff will never be seen on console, and will be nerfed on PC. However, both of these weapons received range and accuracy buffs, which will be retained on PC and will be introduced on console.

When PC, PS3, and 360 have this update live the game play balance will be identical across all platforms. "
#14 Posted by Tennmuerti (7957 posts) -
@yani: The changes are actually easily felt.
On PC there is already less CG spam, 40mm spam, medics now use other guns besides M60
Oh and helicopters are now flying coffins. Unless the pilot is a total baller, then they last a few seconds more :)

Don't like the fact that they are reverting 40mm again.
Basically it will be as powerful as before. Honestly I was still getting plenty of kills with the nerfed version, you at least had to aim better :/
#15 Posted by crazyleaves (637 posts) -

Finally, I can't wait to start getting stars with SMGs. I've been using the G3 since I got it, before that it was shotties...

#16 Posted by dbz1995 (4789 posts) -

If I had the money, I would buy this game, only to show support for DICE showing support for us.

#17 Edited by Darkstar614 (1098 posts) -

The biggest one of these changes I've noticed is the Tracer dart speed. I'm still not used to it yet and keep leading targets way too far.

Now if they would do something to make Assault Rifle Marksman spec. more useful... AN-94 with Magnum Ammo kills the M16 because of how much that thing likes to spray.

#18 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@Seppli said:
" Almost a month after the PC version got its patch, it's finally the consoles turn to get the long-awaited balance tweaks for the game.  Looking forward to it so much. "
Here's a novel idea: Make the weapons behave (more) like they do in real life.  For example, from what I read on the intertubes, bullet speed in BFBC2 is fixed at 600 m/s.  So, supposedly, in the game, a pistol round travels as fast as a m95's round.  Very funny.  

They should base the damage and trajectory on real life muzzle velocity and bullet type.  Then they can design "balanced" maps around the weapons they provide.  Also instead of gimping helis they should've provided infantry with Strela's/Stingers. 
#19 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Still x-times more realistic than the hitscan hitdetection as seen in Halo and CoD. It's a bloody damn awesome ballistics simulation. When it works as intended (it usually does given a broadband low ping internet connection to the server), I think it is one of the best, if not the best ballistics simulations as of now. 

Would be cool of course, if DICE can add that layer of depth to the ballistics simulation. Not in the near future though. I don't think we (the general public/consumers) got the bandwidth and hardware power to handle a higher fidelity ballistics simulation in a high playercount multiplayer environment smoothly.

#20 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

ZOMG M60 NERF!!!

#21 Edited by Odyssey (114 posts) -

Is it true that they're removing the 25% damage buff for the consoles?

#22 Edited by Creamypies (4044 posts) -

Where is it? My game didn't update today.

#23 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Seppli said:
" Almost a month after the PC version got its patch, it's finally the consoles turn to get the long-awaited balance tweaks for the game.  Looking forward to it so much. "
Can you tell us when PS3 will get the weapon and skin packs? 
#24 Posted by Tuggah (1072 posts) -
@creamypies: its a server update.
#25 Posted by Creamypies (4044 posts) -
@Tuggah said:
" @creamypies: its a server update. "
Oh really? So what took it so long? I assumed the reason it came out so much longer after the PC update was because they had to go through certification or something.
#26 Posted by Tuggah (1072 posts) -
@creamypies: DICE said it was in certification but they later said they were testing it on PC to make sure it was good to go before pushing it out to consoles.
#27 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Yeah - the balance tweaks are live. All server-side applied. Love it. Will have to play a lot more to get the whole picture though. 

I hope for a bug fix patch. Really need to fix the M1 Garand and M1A1 Thomson stats tracking. I'm so into earning stars with all the weapons. Keeps things fresh and feels kinda elite. Master of arms or so.

#28 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @Seppli said:
Can you tell us when PS3 will get the weapon and skin packs?  "
Nobody knows. Apparently Sony has pulled out of the Dr. Pepper promotion deal and since then it's unclear. Anyways, since I'm from Europe it would have been paid DLC anyways, so I assume it will come out as paid DLC at some point around my parts.  Sucks. Guess there must be legal reasons or something for them to keep this on the downlow.
#29 Posted by Donos (1193 posts) -

Has anyone noticed an increase in lag since the update? I never had any issues before, but now it seems like every second game is pretty laggy.

#30 Posted by pweidman (2285 posts) -
@Donos said:
"Has anyone noticed an increase in lag since the update? I never had any issues before, but now it seems like every second game is pretty laggy. "

Damn I hope not.  Last night I encountered the most lag since I can't remember when....arrrggghhhh.
#31 Posted by MrSnow (1213 posts) -

nice!! Dito for dice

#32 Posted by Piqueteer (7 posts) -
This is great news.
An amazing game at times, but the little niggling frustrations that I think everyone can believe are now being dealt with. Should make it a near perfect creation of man.
#33 Posted by TotalEklypse (1000 posts) -

so if i read that right. Mgs got the nerf bat? thank god. i stopped playin cause it was all machine guns and snipers. not even sure i will bother going back with red dead coming out tues.

#34 Posted by stephengotlost (703 posts) -

Did the patch release on the PS3 yet? I never noticed having to download any patches. I'm in North America.

#35 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

The tweaks were made serverside. Just fire a tracer dart. If the tracer dart goes as fast as a regular bullet, you're playing post-patch. Also - 3 instead of 2 motion sensors for recons.

#36 Posted by dimdum (34 posts) -

i'm actually a bit pissed off with the patch. The Xm8 lmg was my favourite gun, but with the patch, its become shit. Now im using the m416 and the mg3(whichhas becomegood now).

#37 Posted by Tennmuerti (7957 posts) -
@Seppli said:
" The tweaks were made serverside. Just fire a tracer dart. If the tracer dart goes as fast as a regular bullet, you're playing post-patch. Also - 3 instead of 2 motion sensors for recons. "
Well actually half the speed of a normal bullet. Still much faster then before.
#38 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Tennmuerti said:
" @Seppli said:
" The tweaks were made serverside. Just fire a tracer dart. If the tracer dart goes as fast as a regular bullet, you're playing post-patch. Also - 3 instead of 2 motion sensors for recons. "
Well actually half the speed of a normal bullet. Still much faster then before. "
So do you like the updates yet? I am yet to try. 
#39 Posted by Tennmuerti (7957 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man: 
Oh yeah for sure, the guns are pretty much all decently balanced now, while still maintaining individuality and differences. There really is no 1 go to OP gun for a class like before, which is wonderful.
Much less CG and 40mm spam too (I still find them effective heh >.>)
Helicopters are much less of a pain then before (but still dangerous in the hands of a really good pilot)
#40 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Tennmuerti said:
" @The_Laughing_Man:  Oh yeah for sure, the guns are pretty much all decently balanced now, while still maintaining individuality and differences. There really is no 1 go to OP gun for a class like before, which is wonderful.Much less CG and 40mm spam too (I still find them effective heh >.>) Helicopters are much less of a pain then before (but still dangerous in the hands of a really good pilot) "
Maybe I will go play for a wile today.  

I am guessing the M60 is no longer god? Lol. What system you got? 
#41 Posted by Tennmuerti (7957 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man: 
M60 is still powerful in skilled hands but no longer god, other LMGs just as good.
When I play medic I actually prefer to use either T88 because it's quite stable and has huge magazine or MG36 since it's got inbuilt red dot.
I play on PC.
#42 Edited by JoyfullOFrockets (1177 posts) -

There's still the biggest issue for me. Horrible hit detection. 25% percent of shots  usually don't register even though I see blood coming out of my target. Note that I've only experienced this happen with the M95,  which happens to me my favorite weapon. :(

#43 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@JoyfullOFrockets said:
" There's still the biggest issue for me. Horrible hit detection. 25% percent of shots  usually don't register even though I see blood coming out of my target. Note that I've only experienced this happen with the M95,  which happens to me my favorite weapon. :( "
You sure this is not your net connection? 
#44 Posted by natetodamax (19169 posts) -

About time!

#45 Posted by JoyfullOFrockets (1177 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @JoyfullOFrockets said:
" There's still the biggest issue for me. Horrible hit detection. 25% percent of shots  usually don't register even though I see blood coming out of my target. Note that I've only experienced this happen with the M95,  which happens to me my favorite weapon. :( "
You sure this is not your net connection?  "
A lot of people have been complaining about this as well. If it was my connection, why does it happen with only one weapon?
#46 Posted by Superfriend (1521 posts) -

Hey, if that means the PKM is gonna be stronger, I´m all for it. That gun´s my favorite weapon of the bunch.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.