First Bad Company 2 Expansion Takes The Fight To 'Nam

• 117 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Work on the Medal of Honor reboot isn't stopping EA DICE from putting out more downloadable content for its self-made shooter, Battlefield: Bad Company 2. It also isn't stopping the studio from completely changing the setting its shooter is based in. If all goes to plan, this winter, you'll be fighting in Vietnam.

During EA's E3 2010 press briefing the game's first expansion pack, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Vietnam, was announced. A multi-only joint, Vietnam will introduce four new maps to the game as well as an unspecified number of new vehicles, weapons, achievements, trophies, and persistent unlocks.

It's unclear if we're talking Vietnam war-era conflict, but players will find themselves on one of two sides in the expansion's maps: the US Marines or the North Vietnamese Army. 

Jungles have been confirmed, as well as "guerrilla tactics." And according to the press release, traditional modes like Rush and Conflict can be played on these four new maps.

#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Work on the Medal of Honor reboot isn't stopping EA DICE from putting out more downloadable content for its self-made shooter, Battlefield: Bad Company 2. It also isn't stopping the studio from completely changing the setting its shooter is based in. If all goes to plan, this winter, you'll be fighting in Vietnam.

During EA's E3 2010 press briefing the game's first expansion pack, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Vietnam, was announced. A multi-only joint, Vietnam will introduce four new maps to the game as well as an unspecified number of new vehicles, weapons, achievements, trophies, and persistent unlocks.

It's unclear if we're talking Vietnam war-era conflict, but players will find themselves on one of two sides in the expansion's maps: the US Marines or the North Vietnamese Army. 

Jungles have been confirmed, as well as "guerrilla tactics." And according to the press release, traditional modes like Rush and Conflict can be played on these four new maps.

#2 Posted by RBecho (21 posts) -

I wonder how well this will sell, Vietnam has always been a bit taboo in america.

#3 Posted by Linkin10362 (602 posts) -

Why is an expansion needed?
#4 Posted by Mmmslash (2167 posts) -

Loveloveloved Battlefield Vietnam, so I am excited.

#5 Posted by Ohnoshinobi (14 posts) -

"What's the button to watch your best friend die, get hooked on drugs and return to a country that hates you?" 

"I'm not sure there is a button... Oh, it's Q."

#6 Posted by Marz (5648 posts) -

straight from EA

" In Battlefield Bad Company 2 Vietnam you get to enter the jungle warfare environment as either the U.S. Marines or North Vietnamese Army (NVA). The expansion pack contains 4 brand new maps built in Frostbite including the popular Conquest and Rush game modes as well as Vietnam specific weapons, vehicles, persistence, unlocks as well as new awards, achievements and trophies."

#7 Posted by RisingRaiden (149 posts) -

Why so late? I'm already bored out of my mind in BC2 after playing the same map for the 100th time.  I want new maps soon, I'll probably have sold it by the time this comes out...

#8 Edited by Tuggah (1072 posts) -
@Ohnoshinobi: 
its LB on X-Box and L1 on PS3.
#9 Posted by ItstheRoss (13 posts) -

Who wants to bet they only started developing this when they heard the next COD was set in 'Nam?

#10 Posted by SunKing (686 posts) -

"Jungles have been confirmed, as well as 'guerilla tactics.'"   

So, camping and getting sniped by the guy hiding in the bushes, then? 

Sounds like fun... :(

#11 Posted by NegativeCreep (180 posts) -

GET SOME! GET SOME! GET SOME BABY!!!!

#12 Posted by djaoni (339 posts) -
@ItstheRoss said:
" Who wants to bet they only started developing this when they heard the next COD was set in 'Nam? "
Battlefield Vietnam.
#13 Posted by CreativeColossi (215 posts) -
@djaoni: I lost my shit when I heard the Vietnamese propaganda lady again. 

I miss that game, in retrospect.
#14 Posted by donaldkhogan (168 posts) -

This is awesome I cannot wait!

#15 Posted by PvtPOOPY (14 posts) -

This is just amazing, I couldn't be happier!!!
#16 Posted by President_Barackbar (3448 posts) -

I highly doubt its Vietnam ERA, just in Vietnam (they're still a communist nation).

#17 Posted by Wacomole (816 posts) -
@SunKing said:
" "Jungles have been confirmed, as well as 'guerilla tactics.'"    So, camping and getting sniped by the guy hiding in the bushes, then?  Sounds like fun... :( "
I'd like to see trip-wires and snares that hang people upside-down from trees. 
And maybe a melee attack that involves bamboo shoots and fingernails.
#18 Posted by ddensel (371 posts) -

Interesting how Vietnam games are back in vogue, seems like they were all over the place like 6 years ago (Battlefield Vietnam, Men of Valor, Shellshock NAM '67, Vietcong)

Its an interesting era to explore, shooters needn't just be WWII and near-future.

#19 Posted by Wacomole (816 posts) -
@President_Barackbar said:
" I highly doubt its Vietnam ERA, just in Vietnam (they're still a communist nation). "
Well, IIRC, the conference vid featured old Huey helicopters and a soldier dressed in Vietnam Era uniform over the top of some music reminiscent of the time.  So there's more than a small chance that it will be set around that time period.
#20 Posted by Rasgueado (712 posts) -

I always knew that the guys from Bad Company were a 'force' to be reckoned with.

#21 Edited by FireBurger (1479 posts) -
@President_Barackbar said:

" I highly doubt its Vietnam ERA, just in Vietnam (they're still a communist nation). "

The music was Vietnam War era, and the title text was the same as BFV, which was Vietnam War. Not to mention it says specifically that the Marines are fighting NVA troops.

It was screaming BFV.
#22 Posted by President_Barackbar (3448 posts) -
@FireBurger: @MoleyUK:  Well, the NVA still exists, but I digress. I'm just wondering how the hell they would handle weapon loadouts due to the fact that most of the BC2 weapons wouldn't have been around during 'Nam.
#23 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@ItstheRoss said:
" Who wants to bet they only started developing this when they heard the next COD was set in 'Nam? "
Battlefield: Vietnam
#24 Posted by fillmoejoe (1469 posts) -

I'm guessing it's Vietnam war pretty much a skin or mod.

#25 Posted by Tennmuerti (8057 posts) -
@Linkin10362 said:
" Why is an expansion needed? "
Because people want more maps to play.
#26 Posted by Baal_Sagoth (1252 posts) -

Oh great! So I still need no new games and can just continue playing this forever :D 
BFV and BFBC2 are my favortie Battlefield games after the 1942 one so I'm pretty excited.

#27 Posted by Kbohls (78 posts) -

EA trying to nab some market from acti before black ops?

#28 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Sounds nice. I'm in!

I, along with other, expected an expansion pack to be shown at E3. However I was hoping for a futuristic setting. But that seems to be a common theme for many other games coming out, so I'm not exactly let down by Vietnam.

#29 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -
@Linkin10362 said:
" Why is an expansion needed? "
To make more money
#30 Posted by Mystyr_E (1190 posts) -

so are Vietnam and modern conflcts the new World War 2 (i.e: the game everyone will now do over and over again?)

#31 Posted by s7evn (1072 posts) -

I guess they are trying to beat Black Ops. Good luck to the guys at DICE, I will probably end up with both though.

#32 Posted by Sai (75 posts) -

i think 'nam isn't as sensitive as before, that's why everyone and their mother is coming out with a 'nam themed war game. can the korean war get some lovin' next?

#33 Posted by LordCrom (277 posts) -

I should really get around to buying this game so I can actually enjoy the DLC!
#34 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@Sai said:
" i think 'nam isn't as sensitive as before, that's why everyone and their mother is coming out with a 'nam themed war game. can the korean war get some lovin' next? "
Nah, I want a game set during the Emu War.
#35 Posted by Testing (13 posts) -

looks fun

#36 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Sure. We could use a bit more Vietnam games.

#37 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2684 posts) -

I can't wait.

#38 Posted by Kevers (8 posts) -

I'll probably grab the game once the vietnam expansion comes out

I loved battlefield:vietnam and especially seeing as it sounds like they kept the sound files from the original with the vietnamese propaganda

#39 Posted by mkasperski (17 posts) -

Its all like one big game of follow the leader with EA and Activision. I cant decide if its depressing or hilarious, probably the latter.

#40 Posted by illmatic19 (964 posts) -

quest?

#41 Posted by Jackel2072 (2248 posts) -

this would have been a great downloadable game to follow the suburb BF1943

#42 Posted by Grilledcheez (3945 posts) -

Well, this is interesting...idk if I'm actually going to pay for it though with everything else taking my interest away

#43 Posted by LordDaneil (48 posts) -

Let's hope this is better than the Battlefield: Vietnam

#44 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

Like I said, this is nice, but winter? Also, the fact that there are only 4 maps, and they are calling it an expansion scares me.  

I would assume that all 4 maps will be available for all game-types, which would be nice. I also hope the maps are big enough, and that jets are included. 

But, I guess I would be fine with big maps, Hueys, and Cobras. 

Oh, please, napalm?

#45 Posted by vpcwiu (35 posts) -

The fact that they would be fighting the North Vietnamese army would imply that the DLC takes place during the Vietnam War, otherwise they'd be fighting a unified army. Or.. this is alternate reality where there are two Vietnams. Either way, I've been yearning for trip wires in Bad Company 2 since the game came out. 

#46 Posted by Sliced_Bread (147 posts) -

As long as there are Hueys, I'm in.

#47 Posted by DrLove (357 posts) -

Black opts prequel ? 

#48 Posted by sorcerer (8 posts) -

vietnam sounds great a change of location is always nice...

#49 Posted by jucheidea (3 posts) -

Hmm I distinctly remember there being a WWII mod for BFV that looked very similar to this in terms of content that was ours for the low price of COMPLETELY FREE. No doubt this will go for at least $15, if not $20. Sign of the times.

THERE ARE STILL SOME OF US ORIGINAL PC BATTLEFIELD GAMERS AROUND THAT REMEMBER THE GOOD OLD DAYS DICE, THE CONSOLE KIDS HAVE NOT TOTALLY TAKEN OVER YET

#50 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@jucheidea said:
" Hmm I distinctly remember there being a WWII mod for BFV that looked very similar to this in terms of content that was ours for the low price of COMPLETELY FREE. No doubt this will go for at least $15, if not $20. Sign of the times.  THERE ARE STILL SOME OF US ORIGINAL PC BATTLEFIELD GAMERS AROUND THAT REMEMBER THE GOOD OLD DAYS DICE, THE CONSOLE KIDS HAVE NOT TOTALLY TAKEN OVER YET "
Was that last part really necessary? That just screams PC elitism.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.