Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

[geeky] Why is XM8 in this game?

Avatar image for sandwich_adjustment
    sandwich_adjustment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

All these XM8 variations are very nice guns in the game..but isnt this a completely canceled project? Alternate history design choice by DICE?

Chronologist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Chronologist

Well.. the entire story and multiplayer is a "What if.." instead of actual history, so it makes sense that DICE also said "what if..?" at the weapons.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike

The game also features .50 cal machineguns with barrels that never overheat. Don't question these things, it's not a simulator, it's a game.

sandwich_adjustment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

... just wondering why they put that gun in there not why its not realistic in terms of simulator game mechanics

Chronologist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Chronologist

It's fine to wonder..  

I don't know anything about the XM8, so I can't help you.. 
    Maybe DICE just thought it was a good idea?

sandwich_adjustment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its weird I can't think of any other game that has had it off the top of my head. MW2 surely didn't

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Zereta

If you want to be technical, I'm fairly sure that the XM8 was still in testing in the military when the original was being made. So, they just carried it over.

sandwich_adjustment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oo nice one

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By CaptainObvious

Because it's cool.

sandwich_adjustment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

blade runner gun is cool too :>

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By luce

I think MGS4 had it.

felixlighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By felixlighter
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By Jayross

because....the xm8 is awesome!

I think it is a cool, unique weapon to Bad company. MW2 has those 1337s or w/e they call them, we have xm8s. (but they are balanced. ZIng!)

sandwich_adjustment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if people actually use these rifles...like mercenaries or something, since according to the internets its a very good gun 

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Whitestripes09
    @sandwich_adjustment said:
    " its weird I can't think of any other game that has had it off the top of my head. MW2 surely didn't "
    *cough* rainbow six vegas 1 & 2 *cough* Yeah i hardly see it any games.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @CaptainObvious said:
    " Because it's cool. "
    This. 

Also, quite a lot of games actually put in guns that were at some point in design but never made it to mass productions. Even if their guns are supposed to be only existing guns.
    HayFourZee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HayFourZee

I think graw 2 had the xm8.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By delta_ass

It's cause they're dumb.

GRAW 1/2 also had that gun and it bugged me as well.

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Quacktastic

I'm not a gun-nut and don't really know anything about it, but I thought that it was canceled as a large scale project because it was too expensive to make it the new default gun and not because they didn't like them.  So giving a few to some special ops guys didn't seem weird to me.

I just remember reading that somewhere and it's probably BS.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By warxsnake

I kind of agree with the OP and don't know why this reject assault rifle is in the game, featured prominently with the smg/AR/light machine gun versions of the xm8.

At least both the SCAR and HK416 are in the game (two platforms that will replace the m4, which is what the xm8 tried to do), but we could have used more versions of these rifles (hk416, hk417 ; scar-L, scar-H)

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By ImperiousRix

I think it's actually cool. 
    Makes B Company seem like some weird black market mercenary group because they use weapons that never made it to mass production.  In the last game, the default gun for Marlowe (and I think Sarge) was the M4, and the XM8 was just a cool gun you could find or pick up off the Legionaire's troops.  Now, B Company is so badass that they use the XM8 as their default.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Cheapoz

A little off-topic... 

The biggest surprise to me in this game are the gun models. They SUCK.  

Everything else in this game looks absolutely stunningly gorgeous, but all the guns look like paper-craft. Flat boring surfaces with no texture and personality.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Do XM8s are my favorite weapons to use in video games...Socom..GRAW...

Tuggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Tuggah

From scanning the wikipedia, the XM8 might have been stopped for more economic and business reasons then it being a bad gun (although the LMG variant of the gun wasn't good enough to beat out the M249). Or maybe DICE just loves the XM8.

tomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tomance

I think it's a pretty cool looking gun.  I don't really care if they stopped production of it.  It's not like it never existed. 

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MikkaQ

Ghost Recon games have had then too.  

But I agree, I'm bored of seeing this gun in games. Sure it was awesome, but it's not even the weird exotic experimental gun it used to be. We need something newer and weirder. Now I just plain don't like 'em.

sandwich_adjustment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@XII_Sniper said:
    " Sure it was awesome, but it's not even the weird exotic experimental gun it used to be. We need something newer and weirder. Now I just plain don't like 'em. "
    This is why XM8 never made it to mass production. Some general probably said this exact phrase at a meeting
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By big_jon
    @sandwich_adjustment:
    In BC 1 they had the Black eagle tank too, that was just a concept aswell.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I guess it looks cool and yes it's a cancelled project.

zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By zagzagovich

I'm not a huge fan of this design. On the other hand a game with only experimental equipment would be interesting. Something like Call of Duty: Experimental Warfare. It would give a new feel to the modern shooters.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By Driadon

Huh, interesting, this gun also showed up in ArmA II. It is a little odd that they would use it, but it's still a hell of a rifle from the looks of it.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By TomA

Nice! A gun thread, we don't get too many legit ones on GB. Ya it bugs me that they put it in there, after all it IS a canned project. The first game i remember seeing it in was SOCOM 3, but back then it was still a prototype if i'm not mistaken. As far as replacements for the M4 and M16, those guns won't be replaced for a few years yet, even though testing has proved, time and time again, that there ARE in fact more effective assault rifles out there. But the fact remains, the weapon manufacturers go to the current heads of government and military and say "Hey, we'll give you unparraled political support and in return, you make out weapon the standard issue firearm for the US Army". Since the original m16 was released back in 1957 and withstood both Vietnam conflicts, it has a very very very strong foothold for being the go to gun of the US and Canadian military( well it's the m4 now but you get the point) If I were to pick a weapon to replace the M4, it would have to be the Barret M468, the platform is very similar to that of the M4, but it packs a bigger punch due to the 6.8 caliber rounds it puts down range. 

Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Garrus

I believe the US Military rejected it on multiple concerns, some of which I heard were not direct faults of the gun itself. There was problems of the gun overheating but that was corrected, there was problems with the longevity of the batteries for electronic scopes they had being not long lasting enough but that can be corrected, and then they just rejected it completely and I also hear troops don't like it, even though it's technically supposed to be one of the most ergnomically designed guns on Earth?

And I may be wrong here, but I don't know where I heard this, maybe I dreamed it and it's one of them things that fell into my head's box of "stuff that is probably true in real life" but I am sure you can buy XM8s privately, again, I may be wrong but I don't know where I heard that.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By xMP44x

Due to the fact it was a cancelled military project, I don't think that means they aren't made anymore. Alright, so they are no longer used within the military, but perhaps they are still made? Not sure due to the fact I know very little about guns.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @TomA said:
    " Nice! A gun thread, we don't get too many legit ones on GB. Ya it bugs me that they put it in there, after all it IS a canned project. The first game i remember seeing it in was SOCOM 3, but back then it was still a prototype if i'm not mistaken. As far as replacements for the M4 and M16, those guns won't be replaced for a few years yet, even though testing has proved, time and time again, that there ARE in fact more effective assault rifles out there. But the fact remains, the weapon manufacturers go to the current heads of government and military and say "Hey, we'll give you unparraled political support and in return, you make out weapon the standard issue firearm for the US Army". Since the original m16 was released back in 1957 and withstood both Vietnam conflicts, it has a very very very strong foothold for being the go to gun of the US and Canadian military( well it's the m4 now but you get the point) If I were to pick a weapon to replace the M4, it would have to be the Barret M468, the platform is very similar to that of the M4, but it packs a bigger punch due to the 6.8 caliber rounds it puts down range.  "
    I would like to point out that the main rifle for the Canadian Armed Forces is the Diemaco C7. A derivative of the M16, but still with a few differences.
    Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper
    @MB: Don't most the mounted guns in the game overheat after 20 seconds or so? Or is there another 50 cal that doesn't?
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @Suicidal_SNiper said:
    " @MB: Don't most the mounted guns in the game overheat after 20 seconds or so? Or is there another 50 cal that doesn't? "
    I'm pretty sure they overheated in the first Bad Company.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#38  Edited By mike
    @Suicidal_SNiper said:
    " @MB: Don't most the mounted guns in the game overheat after 20 seconds or so? Or is there another 50 cal that doesn't? "
    The first one I can think of in the campaign is during the prologue mission. The mounted MG on the jeep doesn't overheat, ever. I haven't touched multiplayer yet, I just got the game a couple days ago.
    Lambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Lambert

Because they can.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By meteora

I believe XM8 had some issues such as overheating and it being made out of plastic; goes hand in hand with it melting.

Besides that its uneconomical to made the change from the M16 and M4 to something entirely new. There are some other rifles such as the HK416 which uses most of the older parts but are more durable. They don't have to buy the gun itself, just get the parts and exchange them with existing rifles. 

As for why its in the game is beyond me. 'Cause they can. Just like multiplayer has guys running with the Thompson or M1 Garand.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#41  Edited By natetodamax

I wouldn't want to take it with me to a fight simply because it's ugly. I would rather take a Thompson. In fact, if I had to choose a gun to go to war with, I would pick the Thompson over everything.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.