Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

"Here, fix yourself up with this shit!"

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Rayfield

So like 3.5 million others, I downloaded the demo on Xbox Live and man, I'm loving every aspect of it. This is my first foray into the world of Battlefield and I have to say I can already see the longevity in playing the full product when it comes out in March. 

The weapons, the squad-based tactics, the sweet achievement pins, the vehicles, the openness of the (albeit one) map, the unlocks all make me sit on the edge of my seat for launch day. 

Like many others, I spent late last year playing a hell of a lot of MW2 (only reached level 44 in multiplayer but whatever, it felt like a lot) and I have to say, I grew tired of it after that time. I've played the BBC2 demo dozens of times and just reached rank 2 and it feels like it will never get old. An example: 

On the defending side, we (me and some total strangers) were pushed back to the final two M-COM stations that Port Valdez has to offer. They took out Alpha and I ran like hell towards the warehouse near the helipad that houses Bravo. Anyway, I'm playing engineer class and I'm standing in the doorway looking out towards the water when I see this tiny head of an enemy player running from left to right along the pipelines. After a few seconds I realise, he's flanking the warehouse and preparing to come at Bravo from the east. I back up into the warehouse and see a little alcove entrance on the right hand side that I never noticed before. I thought "I wonder if that's where he's going to come from?". I head through the alcove and make my way around the corner and sure enough, there he is. Running across the road, heading straight for my position. I quickly crouch and aim for his head. He realises I'm there a few seconds too late and I put him down. As I'm running back to defend the Bravo position I'm thinking 'Dude, awesome'. But little did I know, the awesome was yet to come. 

I get back in the warehouse via the alcove to realise a couple of my squad have parked themselves inside to defend Bravo. Just as I decide to join them, shots fly past my head and I turn to see two enemies heading in the main entrance of the warehouse. I take a few bullets but manage to take out one guy while a squadmate shoots another. When the coast is clear, I crouch to give myself time to regain some health. It's then that I hear: 

"Here, fix yourself up with this shit!" 

I look to my left to see that my squadmate has thrown a med-kit to me. He backtracks and crouches back in his position, ready for more action. 

I couldn't believe it. I wasn't playing with friends or anything, these dudes were completely random. And one of them just decided to help me out with a med-kit. After months of playing MW2 where 99% of players are all out for themselves, it blew my mind that a total stranger would help me out. I took the med-kit, raised my sight at the entrance of the warehouse and thought two things -  

1) I'm buying the hell out of this game when it comes out. 

2) Damn, video games are awesome.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Andorski

The game does a great job of rewarding you for helping out others.  Nothing is better than throwing a med-kit on the ground and racking up healing points.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By jakob187

Personally, I love it whenever you go to stab someone with your knife and get the strained sound of you guy saying "Take THAT shit, muthafucker".  That was satisfying as all hell. 

waketowakekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By waketowakekid

I agree the game is amazing for teamwork.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SamStrife
    @jakob187: You're problem is you use your knife.  The best way to kill someone up close is with the defiblirator or power drill.  Infact, the power drill is seriously overpowered.  It's basically kill on contact and you can hold it down for a good 20seconds or so at a time...you just mow through people.
    Terry_Bogard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Terry_Bogard
    @Rayfield: People throwing out med kits is blowing your mind? lol they just want the assist points. But it is awesome getting revived after dieing.. it feels like you're squad has your back when that happens.
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#7  Edited By ImperiousRix

This almost makes me wanna get the demo and (eventually) the game. 
    Almost.  Still thought the first one was too meh to really get excited about this.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Jayross

The point incentives DICe added encourage people to work as a team. 

But of course it is possible to run into the dumb people who won't give you ammo at all... grrrr....

But if you like the teamwork aspect, find some friends to play with, it is awesome working as a squad with voice chat and everything.

@ImperiousRix: 
    Okay. Thanks for telling us.

Terry_Bogard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Terry_Bogard
    @ImperiousRix said:
    "

Almost.  Still thought the first one was too meh to really get excited about this.

"
    If you wanna get the Demo hurry up!! it ends on the 25th  =o
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By emkeighcameron

I've loved BF since BF1929, and BC2 promises not to disappoint. I'll be seeing YOU on the battlefield, son.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#11  Edited By ImperiousRix
    @Terry_Bogard said:
    " @ImperiousRix said:
    "

"
    If you wanna get the Demo hurry up!! it ends on the 25th  =o "
    Mother-eff!  Better get on that shit.
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rayfield
    @emkeighcameron said:
    "I've loved BF since BF1929, and BC2 promises not to disappoint. I'll be seeing YOU on the battlefield, son. "

I'll be the one standing out in the open yelling "Seriously, how effing awesome is this huh?".
    benitobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By benitobb
    @Rayfield:
    I totally agree with you. I don't play or own any modern military shooters like Modern Warfare, and the only competetive FPS I've ever stayed commited to are the Halo games, but I loved the demo of BFBC2 and just today pre-ordered it from Amazon, partially because of the $20 game credit.  I totally couldn't care less about all the hype for Modern Warfare 2, but I'm loving the anticipation for this game and hope it sells like crzy and has longevity.
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rayfield
    @SamStrife said:
    " Infact, the power drill is seriously overpowered.  It's basically kill on contact and you can hold it down for a good 20seconds or so at a time...you just mow through people. "

*suddenly dreads that douchebags will abuse this feature*
    Mariek430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mariek430

I've had some pretty solid "epic" times with the PC demo as well. Took out a blackhawk with a mortar  as it was taking off, looked fucking awesome, also shot an ammo container across a building to get it near team mates for the points without having to expose myself to tank and sniper fire.
     Though if giving ammo/health/reviving didnt give the amount of points it does I doubt you'd see that many people trying to use them for others.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rayfield
    @Mariek430 said:

"Took out a blackhawk as it was taking off, looked fucking awesome,  "

I too had a similar moment. Snuck up through some shrubs with RPG in hand to see chopper just lifting off. Lined up the RPG and blasted that thing to pieces. As it was falling to earth and I was all like "Yeah suck on that wooooo!" a dude shot me in the side of the head. I cared not though as it was worth it.
    Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@Terry_Bogard said:
    " @Rayfield: People throwing out med kits is blowing your mind? lol they just want the assist points.  
    I'm the best medic in the world, and I don't do it for the points. I do it because it's the right thing to do! ;( 

Though, always being number one on my team is nice.
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rayfield
    @Vito_Raliffe said:
    " @Terry_Bogard said:
    " @Rayfield: People throwing out med kits is blowing your mind? lol they just want the assist points.  
    I'm the best medic in the world, and I don't do it for the points. I do it because it's the right thing to do! ;(  "

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Cube

That's surprising? That's Battlefield.....

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@Rayfield: I will always have your back. 

No Caption Provided
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ravensword

I liked it alot. For some reason, I liked how it controlled on PS3 a bit more. For some reason, it felt loose on 360.  Also, 360 version was kinda dark adn Contrasty. maybe thisll be different in Final code.
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rayfield
    @Vito_Raliffe: 

lol
    Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ben_H  Online
    @Rayfield said:

" **Big story**  "

Sounds like Battlefield 2 used to be back in the day.  People actually worked together and medics did their job.  I mainly was a medic.  You could score better as a medic than a regular soldier without even shooting once the whole round.  From what I remember, handing out medkits fave you points and bringing downed dudes back gave you a lot of points.  I believe it was a 2:1 ratio or something like that of heals to a kill.  It was definitely worth it to be a medic.  Not to mention the medic's M16 was one of the best guns in the game.  It was practically a sniper rifle in single shot mode.  I don't regret any one of the 200+ hours I put into that game.  It was always a blast.  I really enjoyed the squad mechanic.  I remember once I teamed up with these dudes from various places in Canada and the U.S.  Complete strangers I'd never even played with.  I didn't even have a headset but the squad leader made plans, told us them and we went from there.  We did good and it was tons of fun.  Way more fun than any CoD game was for multiplayer.

The only question is whether I should get it for Xbox or buy a new PC and get it on that.  I played BF2 on PC though I've found BF1943 to be okay online for console controls.
    Mariek430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mariek430

Only parts im not a fan of, are people who sit back and snipe the entire time doing nothing but worrying about K/D ratio, people who waste time by camping helicopter spawns trying to jack it before anyone else, if its the other team doing it fine makes sense, but when you see 3 or 4 of your team just running around the pad doing nothing it can get kind of old. I will say though when I defend and end up sniping having team mates run over and throw me an ammo pack is quite refreshing. Oh and of course watching medics revive people only for me to kill them again never gets old, ever.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SeriouslyNow

It's the Battlefield experience I always wanted.  Shit blows up real nice.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Rayfield
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " Shit blows up real nice. "

TRUE DAT.
    MjHealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By MjHealy

The game just has more epic moments than MW2. The first time I took a chopper down with an RPG was a great one. I also got a great taste of teamwork when me and some random guys in my squad were holding down B in the second part of the map. Health and ammo crates a-plenty.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jayross

BC2 differs from MW2 because in BC2 there are many ways to help your team-mates. In MW2 everything you do, you do for yourself. You can't heal or give people ammo, you can't spot people, you can't revive, you can't repair, or anything.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SeriouslyNow

BC2 is just a perfect Battlefield experience.  I wonder what BF3 will do to top the sublime perfection and balance that BC2 MP delivers.  Every weapon feels right, every class makes sense and every aspect of the game is just so well tuned. 

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hitchenson

This sure is a Battlefield game. I go to repair an allies vehicle that's near exploding and... he speeds away at the speed of fucking light. 

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By L33tfella_H
    @emkeighcameron said:
    " I've loved BF since BF1929, and BC2 promises not to disappoint. I'll be seeing YOU on the battlefield, son. "
    You mean Codename: Eagles?
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By Binman88
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    "I wonder what BF3 will do to top the sublime perfection and balance that BC2 MP delivers. "
    Bigger maps.
    ExtremeJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By ExtremeJesus

I too was surprised at how much I'm enjoying the demo. I was a pretty big modern warfare fan, but playing this has made me lose all interest in getting mw2. Love being a medic and getting that sense of satisfaction of bringing people back to life. I also like changing it up and going with the class that makes sense at the time. E.g. our tanks are getting fucked up, I'm gonna be an engineer for a bit, or we need to take them down a peg or two, lets go for some straight up offence.  And I haven't even got into helicopters or anything like that yet.

But fuck those snipers!

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Rayfield: Welcome to Battelfeild. Enjoy your stay.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Binman88 said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    "I wonder what BF3 will do to top the sublime perfection and balance that BC2 MP delivers. "
    Bigger maps. "
    There's definitely going to be more to it than just that.  They'll need to tune the balance, vehicles, weapons and classes to deal with bigger maps.  I'm guessing player counts per server will increase too. 
    belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By belaraphon

my friends and i have had a real fun time playing as a squad in bc2.  when players actually stick together the experience is glorious.

Valco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Valco

Aye it is glorious. The best thing in my opinion is just how big the battle is outside yourself. Lst night me and a friend were on the "front line" with bullets all around us, tank shells everywhere sniper fire left right and center. 
    "Ah fuck, they' re on the hill." 
    "How do we get up there?" 
    "Don't know." 
    "Wich of our guys are up there?" 
    A pause. 
    "Foxtrot." 
    "We'll spawn on them." 
    "Awesome." 

And so it was.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By emkeighcameron
    @L33tfella_H said:
    " @emkeighcameron said:
    " I've loved BF since BF1929, and BC2 promises not to disappoint. I'll be seeing YOU on the battlefield, son. "
    You mean Codename: Eagles? "
    Whoa, yeah, 1942, dunno how I messed that up
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jayross

The one thing that would make this game the best battlefield game would be if they had UAV's like the predator drones they use in afghanistan. I miss fixed-wing aircraft. 1943 had them, I think it would be cool if instead of that helicopter thing, you had a UAV that could drop hellfire and other missiles, and also spot tangos automaticly.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Rayfield

Played another round last night on the attacking side and damn

- Played as engineer. 

- Took quad bike down the hill at full speed, over the fence, crashed it, jumped off, planted charge at Alpha, succesfully defended it with another squadmate, Alpha destroyed.

- Used UAV for the first time, blew up a tank. 

- Used RPG to get partial damage on another tank, ran along waterline while avoiding bullets from helicopter, climbed ladder, stuck to crouching in storage containers which advancing, realised nobody was guarding Bravo, snuck in previously mentioned alcove, planted charge, crouched in corner waiting for charge to go off, headshotted one dude, three dudes stormed Bravo and killed me but it was too late, Bravo destroyed. 

- Planted charge on final Alpha, realised my whole squad was guarding Alpha, joined them, thought it strange nobody was attacking us, got knifed from behind by a sniper, didn't matter, Alpha destroyed.  

- My team won.

- Was amazed/elated when I saw myself on top of the scoreboard. 

- Damn game is awesome. 

- March can't come fast enough.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By pause422

Yeah I would have to say engineer and medic are definitely some of my favorite classes, I love actually helping out my team, not just for the points, you realize as you play more when you really do your role(as any class really but especially) as a medic to heal people and an engineer keeping vehicles alive, it makes the biggest difference. I always loved doing the same in TF2.

I usually play with a few friends and we make our own squad and split to different classes to balance things the best, but I do what I can whenever I get the chance. Running around reviving fallen teamates, especially on attackers because it gains back your lost tickets, is very satisfying.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Rayfield
    @pause422: 

Yeah I'm enjoying that whole 'spawn ticket' concept. Especially on defense when you're guarding a station and you realise the attackers are down to one.
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jayross
    @Rayfield: What alcove do you keep talking about? Do you mean the stack of planks next to the window?
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Rayfield
    @Jayross said:
    " @Rayfield: What alcove do you keep talking about? Do you mean the stack of planks next to the window? "

Yeah thats it. Yeah, it's a window but the exterior is so tucked away, I automatically think of it as an 'alcove'.
    super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By super_machine

Yeah, I love the big team aspect of this game. I've been playing the demo non stop for the past two weeks. Its crazy to me that a one level demo has been this captivating. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.