How can I expect to play this game?

#1 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

This, coming from a MW2 player. I've played the demo for the first game but never got BC1; and forgotten about how things went. As I recalled, I got slaughtered constantly by tanks and stuff.

So anyways, I was wondering about how I am expected to play this game and what usually happens. I'm thinking about picking this game up and playing it with some buddies (or guys on GB if anyone ever sets things up) and just rolling in as a small knit tight group; or so I think.

#2 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

Battlefield is pretty different than Call of Duty.  Running and gunning will get you by sometimes, but most of the time you will end up getting killed that way. 

Like most games, but more importantly in Battlefield games, cooperation is key.  A team working together will easily win over a team just screwing around.

#3 Posted by CollegeFootballGuy (120 posts) -

Everything most people do in MW2 you have to the opposite you know, rely on team work, dont camp etc
#4 Posted by unangbangkay (146 posts) -
@Meteora said:
" This, coming from a MW2 player. I've played the demo for the first game but never got BC1; and forgotten about how things went. As I recalled, I got slaughtered constantly by tanks and stuff.  So anyways, I was wondering about how I am expected to play this game and what usually happens. I'm thinking about picking this game up and playing it with some buddies (or guys on GB if anyone ever sets things up) and just rolling in as a small knit tight group; or so I think. "
Well, if you check out GB's QL videos on the BC2 beta and on Battlefield 1943, you'll more or less get the gist of it. It's team-based, got classes, vehicles and objectives. 

"Classes" here aren't like classes in MW2  where it's pretty much just a custom loadout of perks and weapons. A class has a specific function. I don't remember the exact names, but support types get anti-tank weapons and repair gear, assault types get stronger assault rifles and whatnot, and medic types get medical gear (no regenerating health) and can revive allies. Spec ops types get remote explosives and sniper gear.

Of course, this isn't set in stone (though it's more rigid in BF1943). You can unlock more weapons and gear for the different classes (in the QL Jeff unlocks a shotgun) that you can use to further specialize, and I believe BC2 introduces perk-like stuff.

Gameplay is much more strategic also. Because there are vehicles, maps are way bigger (and shrink/grow based on player count). You're encouraged to join a squad, and squad leaders act like rolling spawn points that you can spawn on top of. Some vehicles can also act like spawns (at least they did in some earlier BF games).

Objectives are more complicated. The mode being played in the QL is kind of an assault type. Where offense tries to demolish certain targets on the opponent's side. When the defense targets are destroyed, the defense falls back to the next set of targets and so on.

There's also a kind of squad deathmatch where multiple squads (like 4 I think) fight each other, and a random armored vehicle spawns on the map that can give advantages to the squad that grabs it. I believe there's a video of that on the site, too.
#5 Edited by JJGIANT (755 posts) -
@unangbangkay said:

" @Meteora said:

" This, coming from a MW2 player. I've played the demo for the first game but never got BC1; and forgotten about how things went. As I recalled, I got slaughtered constantly by tanks and stuff.  So anyways, I was wondering about how I am expected to play this game and what usually happens. I'm thinking about picking this game up and playing it with some buddies (or guys on GB if anyone ever sets things up) and just rolling in as a small knit tight group; or so I think. "

Well, if you check out GB's QL videos on the BC2 beta and on Battlefield 1943, you'll more or less get the gist of it. It's team-based, got classes, vehicles and objectives.   "Classes" here aren't like classes in MW2  where it's pretty much just a custom loadout of perks and weapons. A class has a specific function. I don't remember the exact names, but support types get anti-tank weapons and repair gear, assault types get stronger assault rifles and whatnot, and medic types get medical gear (no regenerating health) and can revive allies. Spec ops types get remote explosives and sniper gear.  Of course, this isn't set in stone (though it's more rigid in BF1943). You can unlock more weapons and gear for the different classes (in the QL Jeff unlocks a shotgun) that you can use to further specialize, and I believe BC2 introduces perk-like stuff.  Gameplay is much more strategic also. Because there are vehicles, maps are way bigger (and shrink/grow based on player count). You're encouraged to join a squad, and squad leaders act like rolling spawn points that you can spawn on top of. Some vehicles can also act like spawns (at least they did in some earlier BF games).  Objectives are more complicated. The mode being played in the QL is kind of an assault type. Where offense tries to demolish certain targets on the opponent's side. When the defense targets are destroyed, the defense falls back to the next set of targets and so on.  There's also a kind of squad deathmatch where multiple squads (like 4 I think) fight each other, and a random armored vehicle spawns on the map that can give advantages to the squad that grabs it. I believe there's a video of that on the site, too. "

Ahem...What he said.

All I would say is as you learn the maps,guns etc take your time. Don't rush into combat otherwise you will have a really frustrating experience. If your playing in a tight nit group perhaps you could all stick together before feeling confident enough in you individual abilities to go it alone.

It will probably take a bit of time to get used to but once you do you may well realise (as I did) that Bad Company is a far superior muliplayer shooter than MW2.

Come to this game with the correct expectations and you should have a really good time.
#6 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -
@unangbangkay: In BC2 all squad members are spawn points,no more squad leaders.
#7 Posted by MikkaQ (10284 posts) -

Stuck with your squad, be a team player, make sure you have a good mix of classes and roles in there, and make sure you're doing said roles. It's all about being a team. Ever since the early days of BF '42. Unless you're a tank slaying beast, just avoid them entirely. I liked to play special ops classes in BF2 so I could C4 the shit outta tanks and that was fun, but then I started fulfilling medic roles and I'd have the highest score of the match. Healing a dead dude counted as much as a kill. And there's a lot of dead dudes in that game. 

Course that's all BF PC strategies. I hope some crosses over, my experience with Bad Company was the campaign and about 3-4 hours of multiplayer, so I don't remember a lot.

#8 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

There's gonna be 'Squad' modes with a smaller playercount and a focus on fastpaced infantry combat. Squad Rush and Squad Deathmatch - both of which should feel somewhat closer to CoD, than Conquest and Rush mode.

For the 'big' modes, just remember - the maps are huge and you'll need to adjust your gameplay horizon for that fact. If you think as far ahead as your gun can shoot, cover a winning angle on the action and approach every objective with the right amount of caution and decisive action - you will do well enough.

Remember - Battlefield games are a lot deeper than other games. Every kit, every weapon, every gadget, every vehicle, every map, every angle, every tactic - infantry, vehicles, air, land, sea - from CQC to extreme long ranges - you can and will master it all, if you decide to become a real veteran Battlefield player. Learn to read the Battlefield - obtain Battlefield awareness by experience. Learn to read the flow of combat, where the pressure is at, what to do at any given situation.

The number 1 skill in any Battlefield game isn't extreme skill with any of the kits, vehicles or whatever else there is. It helps, but the most useful skill is 'Adaptability'! Learn to change into the soldier, which is needed to obtain victory. Being able to play any role in the massive battles is the most rewarding about Battlefield. 

A single player can change the whole flow of combat by analyzing the situation correctly, filling the gap and going on to seize the moment. A certain defeat might turn into a victory in the end - because you pulled your whole teams weight for that critical moment.

#9 Posted by SquidDivision (6 posts) -

I'd definitely download and play a good amount of 1943.  It was my first Battlefield and I felt pretty well at home in the BC2 Beta, between 1943 and either Modern Warfare (my experience) you should be pretty comfortable getting into BC2.

#10 Posted by TheHBK (5475 posts) -
@CollegeFootballGuy said:
" Everything most people do in MW2 you have to the opposite you know, rely on team work, dont camp etc "
LOL, you sound like you've never played a BF game or any military shooter.  Those two or really hate COD.
Anyway, its a matter of preference.  Team work is cool and all and the beta is a good indicator but just like any shooter, there will be douchers around.  And since this is Battlefield, expect people to team kill you to take your vehicle.  Take off on vehicles that are suited for more than just one person, then have to walk long distances just to get shot.  Or get run over by a teammate.  I suppose this brings up my question, will there be aircraftcarriers in this game so that I have to swim for 5 minutes after everyone has taken the copters, planes and boats?  Its not a Battlefield game if that doesn't happen.
#11 Edited by cap123 (2477 posts) -

The big problem i remember from battlefield 2 was spawn camping, if the other team's dominating and manages to fence you into a single spawn point, don't count on getting away any time soon.. especially when they've got all the tanks and all the vechiles, and have snipers set up all around where you're spawning. Hopefully they worked around that in BF:BC 1.

i did love BF2 though

#12 Posted by AjayRaz (12426 posts) -
@TheHBK said:
.  I suppose this brings up my question, will there be aircraftcarriers in this game so that I have to swim for 5 minutes after everyone has taken the copters, planes and boats?  Its not a Battlefield game if that doesn't happen. "
haha, always. 
#13 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@TheHBK said:
I suppose this brings up my question, will there be aircraftcarriers in this game so that I have to swim for 5 minutes after everyone has taken the copters, planes and boats?  Its not a Battlefield game if that doesn't happen. "
Ha ha, Isn't running for 5 minutes after everyone took all the Humvees, IFV's and tanks close enough?
#14 Edited by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Okay, thanks for the information from everyone. I think I got the gist of it and that I should be able to enjoy it. I think that I'm a natural team player; because since MW2 came out I've been doing all kinds of shit for my team like taking down the air support, taking objective points, running around with a riot shield to provide cover for my guys. I think me being a team player will certainly satisfy me a whole hell lot in BC2 where teamwork is a bit more crucial; where people will have to rely on my assets and they'll have to rely on mine. I just don't get much compliment or recognition for my contributions to the team in MW2 (other than fragging and getting tons of kills to pull my team; even then those are rare).

Kinda excited about this. Not sure what class I want to play primarily. I remember in the demo for BC1 I pretty much went with medic and just spammed health packs at our snipers, ahaha. I will know however that I will annoy my friends to death by shouting "we're oscar mike! we're oscar mike!" whenever we need to get a move on.

Oh by the way, does anyone know if its possible to get say 8 friends in a game in two different squads? The player limitation in BC2 is pretty low; I sometimes already have trouble fitting all my friends and their friends in a game of Gears of War 2 or MW2. I know the player count is pretty high in BC2; but I don't suppose you can actually join in progress as a squad or something can you?

#15 Posted by CollegeFootballGuy (120 posts) -
@TheHBK said:
" @CollegeFootballGuy said:
" Everything most people do in MW2 you have to the opposite you know, rely on team work, dont camp etc "
LOL, you sound like you've never played a BF game or any military shooter.  Those two or really hate COD.Anyway, its a matter of preference.  Team work is cool and all and the beta is a good indicator but just like any shooter, there will be douchers around.  And since this is Battlefield, expect people to team kill you to take your vehicle.  Take off on vehicles that are suited for more than just one person, then have to walk long distances just to get shot.  Or get run over by a teammate.  I suppose this brings up my question, will there be aircraftcarriers in this game so that I have to swim for 5 minutes after everyone has taken the copters, planes and boats?  Its not a Battlefield game if that doesn't happen. "

lol, sounds like you had a bad time with Bad Company
#16 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@Meteora said:

" Okay, thanks for the information from everyone. I think I got the gist of it and that I should be able to enjoy it. I think that I'm a natural team player; because since MW2 came out I've been doing all kinds of shit for my team like taking down the air support, taking objective points, running around with a riot shield to provide cover for my guys. I think me being a team player will certainly satisfy me a whole hell lot in BC2 where teamwork is a bit more crucial; where people will have to rely on my assets and they'll have to rely on mine. I just don't get much compliment or recognition for my contributions to the team in MW2 (other than fragging and getting tons of kills to pull my team; even then those are rare). Kinda excited about this. Not sure what class I want to play primarily. I remember in the demo for BC1 I pretty much went with medic and just spammed health packs at our snipers, ahaha. I will know however that I will annoy my friends to death by shouting "we're oscar mike! we're oscar mike!" whenever we need to get a move on. Oh by the way, does anyone know if its possible to get say 8 friends in a game in two different squads? The player limitation in BC2 is pretty low; I sometimes already have trouble fitting all my friends and their friends in a game of Gears of War 2 or MW2. I know the player count is pretty high in BC2; but I don't suppose you can actually join in progress as a squad or something can you? "

Learn 2 play engineer. Especially your proficiency with the rocketlaunchers. Rocketsniping is very useful and fun - and it puts you in the right mindset about how to excell at Battlefield games. Take anything the game gives you and do more with it than you initially thought it can do.

Like sniping infantry (especially camping snipers) with your rocketlauncher. Everything in the game can do more than is obvious.

Check out this AT mine video (was a glitch in beta - should be fixed for release).  But even without unlimited ammo glitch - you can learn to do sick shit with AT mines.

AT Mines do sick splash damage. You can trigger them anytime by shooting them. This gives the AT mines tons of other utility than just laying them down at chokepoints to get kills on oblivious drivers.
#17 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

Hey, you asked a question about getting more than 4 people together in a game, I'm part of a clan so we have to deal with this a lot.

(I haven't played the beta of BC2, I am basing my information on BC1)

In BC1 you can start a squad in the menu and invite 3 other people so you have a squad of 4, you can pick which mode you want to play, and which map.

Then when the 4 of you are in the game you can invite your other friends -- only if your team has space for them -- and even then they might get put on the other team.

its not like in MW2 where you can start a party, which is one feature i liked in MW2...

You can start a private match, but you need 16 people (because the game uses dedicated servers).

Hope some of that information helps..

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.