Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

How is this fair?

Avatar image for thehuntsmen5434
    thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

I'm sure there's thousands of threads complaining about this, but after a couple weeks of playing this game with my friends we want to know how do you take down a chopper, or a tank with 2-3 engineers in it.  Whenever I jump into a PUG and there's a helicopter in the map it is just dominating EVERYTHING.  No one can land a shot, and emplacements are useless because they just fly behind them.  The tank problem isn't nearly as bad as the helicopter, but after shooting a rocket or 2 it just backs off repairs, and comes back.  If we try to take out the repair people they just quickly hit B and jump back into the tank, back up a little bit more and repair again.

Is there really a definitive way to handle stupid crap like this.  The helicopter problem especially.

lukeissxc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By lukeissxc

Well I happen to be a really good shot with my Gustav so I can usually take a helicopter out. If they have V-armor and don't die in one hit and leave for repairs you can send a team mate back to where they repair at to wait for them and kill them there. Sniping is also an option although its less effective because another passenger can hop in the pilot seat once you snipe him out. The best thing you can do right now is to learn to lead the helicopters with rocket launchers and then try to steal or destroy their helicopters before they can use them.

thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

I'd be lucky to land a shot with a assault rifle.  Usually the Apache is traveling at max speed all the time, going up and down.  Some people are really REALLY good with them.  And all I see is my team missing over and over with missiles.

jsuuun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By jsuuun

tracer dart?

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
    weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By weegieanawrench

I feel your pain man. It's doubly worse when an opposing player runs over to your base and steals a chopper, and then you have two big ass problems to deal with. I usually use Heavy Machinegun emplacements to take out the choppers, another good option is to use the UAV with ALT Weapon specialization so you can get close and shoot 'em up the machine gun. If that doesn't work, pull out your tracer dart gun (which is now dubbed the "lazer") and then fire a rocket at it and it should hit.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mikeeegeee

Anti-Tank Mines. Use them. Granted, they can be exploded. But they are so rarely used that they regularly result in kills for me.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By big_jon
    @mikeeegeee: 

If you are like me (A good tanker) mines work about 1/30 times.
    VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By VanderSEXXX

uh... eversince the patch, choppers have been easy to shoot down especially now that tracer darts travel significantly faster. And once the tracer has hit the chopper then just a single missle can easily take it down. :o

owenneil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By owenneil

it depends on the chopper and whos flying it. the transport ones are slower, and easier to kill. but can also kick your ass with the right people gunning. tanks with good drivers and perks are harder, because they take more damage.  but if you can get close C4 is a fast kill.
    Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lilbigsupermario

For tanks, having two engineers shooting at the tank with rockets can kill the tank even if there are like 2 engineers fixing the tank.  To be sure, three engineers should be shooting at the tank, or better, as mentioned above, use AT mines, just one or two of these can immediately kill the tank. 

As for helicopters, use the gustav rocket, just predict the flight path of the chopper.  If you can't hit the chopper with a gustav, find an stationary machine gun and spray bullets on the chopper.  I haven't really tried the tracer dart after the update, but during the most recent match that I played, whenever I fly the chopper to the base, even with a high altitude, I noticed that most of the time, my chopper gets blown up with the help of the tracer dart.  So I guess the tracer dart is more useful now than before, so use that too.

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Darkstar614

At least for the tank problem, you just need to have more engineers shooting at said tank. If every tank could be taken down by one engineer regardless of how many opposing engineers are repairing, then they would be worthless.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By xMP44x

Destroying vehicles is not hard if you take them on in a suitable manner. Here are some ideas for you:

Helicopters

• The Black Hawk is slower than the other helicopters, and it also the biggest target. These helis cannot shoot something directly in front  of them, but they have a lot of firepower on the sides. Assuming someone is gunning. If the pilot is angling up for the gunner to get some shots off, he's also exposing his main flaw: the fact that he is showing the largest side of his machine. And that happens to be the easiest part to hit. Get Carl Gustav on the situation and it's sorted.
    • The Apache, Havoc, and Hind all move extremely quickly, if the pilot is choosing travel at high speed. This means the gunner can't get as many shots off due to the movement being difficult to judge shooting, so you have more time to work out the flight path and stuff to see what you can do to deal with it. If he's hovering to let the gunner do some killing, then you're in the firing line. Particularly if they saw the rocket coming towards them. But otherwise, a hovering helo is easier to hit than a moving one. So if you get to an angle where you're reasonably protected from shooting, even for a few seconds, you can have the rocket launched.
    • While a chopper may not go down after one rocket, if you aim it properly you could either kill the pilot, in which case the gunner is going to need to move quickly to regain control, or knock out the guns. I recommend using the Tracer Dart, and the Carl Gustav together. Gustav moves quickly, and rockets do not drop as quickly as the RPG-7's. However, if you prefer the aiming system of the Stationary ATs, then use the M136AT4. You can curve the rocket and nail targets with it. So using Tracers with it is pretty pointless.

Tanks

• Anti Tank Mines are your new best friend. Tossing one of these on the ground is a great way to light a tank up. However, they do need a few seconds to arm themselves, so you need to be quick, and stealthy to get them in place. However, if you throw one, or even two on the ground, that tank is gone.
    • If there are Engineers who jump out and repair, use something like a shotgun on the Assault class. The shotgun makes quick work of a target, and the C4 you receive with an All Kits weapon means the tank is gone too. And then you can toss down an Ammo Box and reload your tank killing abilities.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By Seppli

There has recently been a balance tweak patch serverside. Try to tag choppers with your brand new 'lazer' tag gun. If you chose the assault class, you got unlimited tracer darts. You'll get the hang of it in no time. 

My preferred way to deal with tanks is the 'ninja' path of sneaking or hiding and blowing it up with C4 or laying traps like trapper john with AT mines or C4. RPGs work to get a tank out of your hair if you're solo. You'll usually need more than one engineer to take down a though tanker team. Mortar Strikes work wonders too.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Helicopters never stay in the air more than a minute or two now because the tracer dart is hax atm. 

Tanks are easily disposed of with RPGs. If I'm close enough I'll usually just shoot a rocket into the side and use my repair tool to finish the job because it's faster than reloading, so the engineers won't have enough time to fix it. If you're on the attacking team, UAVs can take out a tank with one rocket a lot of the time as well. Anti-tank mines around corners or over hills where they are certain to travel will take them out as well. For the tanks that are sniping from far away, mortars can destroy them but they are also easily avoided by the driver. If you're sneaky enough, C4 is the best way to deal with them though.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @thehuntsmen5434 said:

"   The helicopter problem especially. "

Try to steal the Hind or Apache.  In the case of the hind (on isla innocentes), you can try destroying it with UAV as it's trying to take off, and before the objective markers [a] and [b] show up. 

Steal the tanks, also.  *You* should have the unfair advantage. 

The black hawks are pretty much flying coffins... 
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Tennmuerti

Just because no one has mentioned this yet, i suggest the new and improved tracer dart.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Donos

Now that the tracer dart has gotten it's speed upgrade, it's actually pretty easy to take out any helicopters (including that A*&@^&^@ helicopter on Port Valdez). You still have to give the helicopter a bit of a lead, but now the lead is short enough to hit even fast-circling helicopters.

See also, AA gun damage buff. That thing ruins helicopters now.

Finally, if all else fails, an M95 with red dot gives you reliable (if slow) damage against any helicopter any time, from relative safety.

M4_Carmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By M4_Carmine
    @xMP44x said:
    "Destroying vehicles is not hard if you take them on in a suitable manner. Here are some ideas for you:

Helicopters

• The Black Hawk is slower than the other helicopters, and it also the biggest target. These helis cannot shoot something directly in front  of them, but they have a lot of firepower on the sides. Assuming someone is gunning. If the pilot is angling up for the gunner to get some shots off, he's also exposing his main flaw: the fact that he is showing the largest side of his machine. And that happens to be the easiest part to hit. Get Carl Gustav on the situation and it's sorted.
    • The Apache, Havoc, and Hind all move extremely quickly, if the pilot is choosing travel at high speed. This means the gunner can't get as many shots off due to the movement being difficult to judge shooting, so you have more time to work out the flight path and stuff to see what you can do to deal with it. If he's hovering to let the gunner do some killing, then you're in the firing line. Particularly if they saw the rocket coming towards them. But otherwise, a hovering helo is easier to hit than a moving one. So if you get to an angle where you're reasonably protected from shooting, even for a few seconds, you can have the rocket launched.
    • While a chopper may not go down after one rocket, if you aim it properly you could either kill the pilot, in which case the gunner is going to need to move quickly to regain control, or knock out the guns. I recommend using the Tracer Dart, and the Carl Gustav together. Gustav moves quickly, and rockets do not drop as quickly as the RPG-7's. However, if you prefer the aiming system of the Stationary ATs, then use the M136AT4. You can curve the rocket and nail targets with it. So using Tracers with it is pretty pointless.

Tanks

• Anti Tank Mines are your new best friend. Tossing one of these on the ground is a great way to light a tank up. However, they do need a few seconds to arm themselves, so you need to be quick, and stealthy to get them in place. However, if you throw one, or even two on the ground, that tank is gone.
    • If there are Engineers who jump out and repair, use something like a shotgun on the Assault class. The shotgun makes quick work of a target, and the C4 you receive with an All Kits weapon means the tank is gone too. And then you can toss down an Ammo Box and reload your tank killing abilities.
    "

Very nice tips btw
    thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

Thanks everyone for the help, I truly appreciate it.  Unfortunately its just easier to leave maps with the quicker Heli's in them and join something else.  I don't disregard anything anyone has said in this topic its just that not everyone knows the tips and tricks to taking down tanks and heli's.  So when I'm in a PUG everyone's straight up clueless.....I'm not a one man army.

Thanks a lot though, I will forward this to my friends.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.