Just bought this game... again

#1 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

So I switched over from Xbox to PS3 about four months ago. Part of that was because I didn't like paying the subscription for multiplayer.

A sacrifice I had to make, though, was leaving my Bad Company 2 profile and with it over 220 hours of gametime. I played Killzone 3 a bit... but I miss Battlefield.

So just a few minutes ago, I booted up my Amazon app and plunked down $36 on the so-called "ultimate edition." (it really only means it includes Battlefield 1943, which is fine because I was thinking about buying it when the PSN Store comes back online anyways.

So, I am guessing I will get the box soon. I'm a bit apprehensive, though. Will the controls be different? Will it feel different? Will I remember all of the tricks?

Will it be strange not having every class unlocked, and having to start over from scratch? Will there be server problems on the PS3?

A lot of those questions I will need to answer for myself.

I just hope I can get back into the game.

If you guys would like to play some BC2, feel free to add me on PSN. My name is: PanderingPanda.

#2 Edited by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

I think you should have gotten it on PC :<
But how many people are playing it on PS3???

#3 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I've started over twice and liked it more each time.  I played it on 360 first, then switched from 360 to PS3 when my 5th Xbox broke, bought it for PS3 and liked it more there (controller I guess) and I switched to PC  when I got a computer that could run it (back in march) and I love it even more now.

#4 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -
@No0b0rAmA Mac? Heh heh.

No, I realize I should get a computer, but I am going to college this September so I don't know if I have enough time to make it a worthwhile investment.
#5 Posted by angelkanarias (1440 posts) -

It'll be a piece of cake to level up quickly until the system figures out how good you are.

#6 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

We play 15-25 man bombing runs on PC.. sad you can't join us

#7 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic: is that part of the BF2/2142 group or a different group?
#8 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@xobballox said:
@Ahmad_Metallic: is that part of the BF2/2142 group or a different group?
a different more popular group, join here
#9 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -
@Jayross said:
 Will it be strange not having every class unlocked, and having to start over from scratch? 
Yes, very. I played a load on the 360 then I bought it for the PC, and not having a 12x scope, magnum ammo or a defibrillator was tough.
#10 Posted by Th3_James (2576 posts) -

I bought it on pc twice.

#11 Posted by Renahzor (991 posts) -
@Jayross:  If it makes you feel any better I bought it on steam sale for PC 2 weeks ago for 7 dollars. 
 
The main things that suck re-starting now:   Playing hardcore with no 12x scope or magnum ammo, makes sniping a lot easier if you got 'em, and Mag ammo is good for any class.
#12 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -
@Jayross said:
@No0b0rAmA Mac? Heh heh. No, I realize I should get a computer, but I am going to college this September so I don't know if I have enough time to make it a worthwhile investment.
That hurts man. Don't be like that.
Get a gaming laptop if possible, Gateway and Asus make great budget gaming notebooks. There are also many custom vendors out there.
#13 Posted by Surkov (991 posts) -
@Jayross: I play it on PS3  quite a bit.  My PSN name is:  Surkov 
#14 Posted by Wuddel (2079 posts) -
@Jayross: Played it to "completion" on PS3 and during peak evening hour you have no problem getting into full games. But when you player later than normal it is tough. 
 
Yeah. I am with you on the Mac decision. You really can not get a better computer for getting things done. And TimeMachine alone beats the crap out of even the cleanest Windows installation. Coming from a guy who has been a Mac user for 9 years, but also loves the "new" Windows 7.
#15 Posted by liquidmatt (230 posts) -

I recently replayed it after having brought it and played weekly until Blops, before selling Blops and trying out KZ3, but I still went back to BC2. I'd question whether your money would've been better spent waiting a few months for Battlefield 3 though, as most people will leave to play that?

#16 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2377 posts) -

It's worth it.

#17 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@Jayross
 
Less deadzone on analog sticks. Hence more precise and fluid analogstick input. More frequent graphical errors. Less crisp textures and particle effects. More frame per second dips. PS3 version technically slightly inferior to the 360 version.
 
Off peak hours, servers don't fill up anymore. From Noon to 2 AM you'll get full to semi-full rooms - 8vs8 at the very least. Just send a friend invite to every non-useless rank 50 player you meet. Best bet being recognizable names from the official Battlefield forums. Quite often playing stacked 50s vs 50s teams when joining up with some of the more crazy folks on my friendslist. That said, I'm doing the full progression on PC currently. Also to get back to tiptop KB&M shape. It's been a while since I did a session on PS3.
 
Until you've unlocked Body Armor, Magnum Ammo and Extra Explosive Damage specializations, you'll be significantly less competitive. Vehicular unlocks too of course. Got all my stuff at about rank 23.
 
I'm playing out of Europe. So that's probably not representative for the North American experience.
#18 Posted by Nadafinga (957 posts) -
@Jayross: As a regular BC2 PS3 player, I can tell you that there's plenty of full rooms still happening. As long as you don't mind the different controller (I personally have no problem using either one) I would think the experience should be pretty darn similar. Like others have said, not having the unlocks will suck for a little while, but since you've already got a few hundred hours in the game already on the other console, your established skills should allow you to rank up pretty quickly.
 
Add me if you like, I'm always ready to roll out in a squad with some good people, PSN: Nadafinga
#19 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -

i bought it twice as well. re-bought for the vietnam expansion but i really didn't think much of it. i guess the new maps that came out around that time were nice though.  
 
i still pop on now and then, but all my friends have stopped playing it and it's really not the same on your own. 

#20 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@liquidmatt said:
I recently replayed it after having brought it and played weekly until Blops, before selling Blops and trying out KZ3, but I still went back to BC2. I'd question whether your money would've been better spent waiting a few months for Battlefield 3 though, as most people will leave to play that?
Dude.. we are gonna enlist in legions to Battlefield 3 bombing runs on PC! i see great things in the near future
#21 Posted by liquidmatt (230 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
@liquidmatt said:
I recently replayed it after having brought it and played weekly until Blops, before selling Blops and trying out KZ3, but I still went back to BC2. I'd question whether your money would've been better spent waiting a few months for Battlefield 3 though, as most people will leave to play that?
Dude.. we are gonna enlist in legions to Battlefield 3 bombing runs on PC! i see great things in the near future
My PC won't run it! But man do I want to play with some fellow Bombers!
 
..and now I want to play Bomberman.
#22 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@liquidmatt said:
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
@liquidmatt said:
I recently replayed it after having brought it and played weekly until Blops, before selling Blops and trying out KZ3, but I still went back to BC2. I'd question whether your money would've been better spent waiting a few months for Battlefield 3 though, as most people will leave to play that?
Dude.. we are gonna enlist in legions to Battlefield 3 bombing runs on PC! i see great things in the near future
My PC won't run it! But man do I want to play with some fellow Bombers!  
You can always kill your parents, sell their stuff and use their money to upgrade your PC :) .. totally legitimate way to get the money, most of us are doing it ^^ 
 
 

 ..and now I want to play Bomberman.
haha

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.