Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

M60+40mm = MW2's Akimbo shotguns?

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Aeterna

So I just started up a game to have some fun rounds and found myself in one of my favorite 16-player servers, the map was a conquest in the snow village(of which I can't remember the name from), no lag, everyone generally has <100ping on it, so that's all good. 
    Except out of the 8 enemies, 4 were medics with the M60, 2 were using a M16a2 but mainly shooting 40mm grenades with the extra explosive damage and another assault which was using a M416. The other player was a sniper with a Gol. 

Now I can tell you that while we put up a good fight, it's simply not fun to not being able to kill the enemies in a realistic fashion, if you meet one of those medics; no matter what you pull; you're dead and the best I could do was to drag them with me.  
    Of course there's still moments where you can kill them while they're running and they've not spotted you.  

But the obscene amounts of times I died from a random explosion, or a close encounter I knew I couldn't win made me want to stop playing, at least for today. 

In short then: 
    I really hope that DICE can somehow balance these weapons better in an upcoming patch or I can see people just getting ticked off by these kinds of matches.

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By FireBurger

I haven't noticed any issues with the 40mm grenades. I'll grant you the M60s are powerful, but nowhere near as stupid and balance-breaking as the '87s in MW2. Could they use a patch? Maybe. But, I don't think they're too bad.

s0mah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By s0mah

ITT :

hysterics.

Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By lilbigsupermario

IMHO, based on what you're saying, it's not that the weapons are not balanced, you just had to face a really good team.  In your description, it's not just a whole squad that is organized, it's a whole team knowing their own roles and ranges on how they can dominate their opponent.  It's actually a good example of how teamwork is important in the game and how efficient a win becomes when one team is more organized than the other.

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Aeterna

It's not the actual teamwork, they were not really sticking together other than the odd 2-man team possibly from just spawning on a squadmate. 

Facing a good team is certainly fun, but these didn't seem like superb players, most kills were simply them running up to me and holding the shoot button. Rarely did I see one crouch behind a wall/car and shoot me from there, for instance. 
    Don't get me wrong; I don't have a problem at all with getting my ass kicked by a well coordinated team, or even a team of average players. They deserve to. But seeing people just run up to you guns blazing and killing you nearly every time while you're crouching and/or scoped for accuracy is taking the piss. It's not a one-time thing either, it's something I encounter often.

lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lilbigsupermario

I get your point, it does get frustrating sometimes.  I had a game once when I got killed around 10 times consecutively by the same player over and over again.  Even if he seemed like the player who isn't strategic, but he does have a fast itchy trigger finger.  I guess it was just pure bad luck.  I just turned the game off and rested for a day or two, then came back again haha! 

If your team got owned big time in that match even if the other team wasn't really that organized, then I guess it's just bad luck hehe!  But it does happen.  Actually, I haven't really experienced dying from random explosions as bad as yours, maybe they're just really good with the 40mm grenades?  Or they just really know the spots or choke points where players usually pass through or hide hehe! 

Keep on playing, there are really bad days to play the game.  When that happens to me, I just play a different game online game like Street Fighter 4 then I get frustrated more and get into a rage, then I simply realize, I love BFBC2 again! LOL!

philuk19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By philuk19

The M60 is a powerful weapon, but I wouldnt go that far and the 40MM I rarely ever get killed by. The M60 could use a damage tone down, but its rate of fire is slow which is also a factor. The other LMG's such as XM8 I have no probelm getting kills with.

oompagooba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By oompagooba

I think what they really need to do in regards to the 40mm and the Gustav is to give them some crazy self-damage. I think that would hopefully stop people from running around with their explosive weapon out and blasting people when they come around a corner. I can't even count the number of times I've been running up on a guy to knife him, and he grenade launchers me to death from a couple feet away, then walks off unscratched.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MrKlorox

Yes the m60 is waaaay overpowered, and I believe we can expect a fix.

The 40mm and gustav are in need of something to help prevent abuse (I like this dude's idea of super high self damage ^^) but are not nearly as much of a problem as m60s. 

GOL snipers are way overused in hardcore mode due to the accuracy. But I don't expect a fix for that.

What BF3 needs is leg crippling to prevent the ridiculous number of one-shot leg kills with varying weapons in varying modes. Like Last/Final stand in MW2 except standard for everybody and only happens when the legs are mutilated (ie not triggered by headshots and stuff).

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aeterna
    @lilbigsupermario said:
    "Actually, I haven't really experienced dying from random explosions as bad as yours, maybe they're just really good with the 40mm grenades?  Or they just really know the spots or choke points where players usually pass through or hide hehe! "
    Just curious; what platform do you play on? 
    There are a lot of good 40mm users on the PC at least.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11  Edited By Geno

More broken than anything is the medic revive skill; theoretically a team full of M60 medics with defibs is unstoppable. You couldn't wipe them out unless they were all standing in a mortar strike. When you revive someone they should be at half health and have no invulnerability.  

Personally I think the 40mm grenade is fine. It doesn't work in close range (simply doesn't detonate for some reason), too inaccurate for long range. Medium range is where it excels but only if there's no obstacles in the way; will also not work if you're against more than 1 person at once. 

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By big_jon

I love the M-60
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By jmrwacko

40MM grenades aren't too bad. They have a much smaller blast radius than in mw2, so they're only really useful at medium ranges.

M60 is OP, that's a given. Freakin beam cannon of death with super accuracy.

Also, the Carl Gustav is still wayyy too powerful. I fire random shots off into the distance and get kills with it. Think the RPG from MW2, except with a scope and fires faster.

lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lilbigsupermario
    @Aeterna said:
    " @lilbigsupermario said:
    "Actually, I haven't really experienced dying from random explosions as bad as yours, maybe they're just really good with the 40mm grenades?  Or they just really know the spots or choke points where players usually pass through or hide hehe! "
    Just curious; what platform do you play on? There are a lot of good 40mm users on the PC at least. "

I play BFBC2 in the PS3. :) 

I guess it may be easier to aim the 40mm grenade using a mouse?  There are good 40mm users on the PS3 in some of the matches I've played, but I don't often encounter them.  Even I use the 40mm quite often, but I usually get the kills when players are hiding behind corner walls or when my 40mm is up and a opponent just surprisingly appeared in front of me, then I shoot it automatically and hit them with luck hehe!  But with the style of actually using explosive weapons in the game to get kills, I use the gustav+explosive damage with the engineer more often than the 40mm. 

I'm not sure if the PC have more players that are very active and accurate with the 40mm, but when I play in the PS3, there are times that happens, but not very often, I still get killed more by other weapons usually the M416. :)
    Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Alexander

As mentioned, it just sounds like you came up against some decent players.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Jayross

M60 could use balancing, but the 40ml gl's are fine, as there is a bit of a trade-off when you use them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@big_jon said:
    " I love the M-60 "
    Of course you would, it's over powered and you probably can't play the game without it.
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By big_jon
    @Bucketdeth:
    Shove it. I bet that I am better than you with or without it.
    oompagooba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By oompagooba

Haha... now it's gonna turn into yet another thread where big_jon tells us how good he is.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @oompagooba said:
    " Haha... now it's gonna turn into yet another thread where big_jon tells us how good he is. "
    Oh snap! Someone got called out!
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By big_jon
    @oompagooba said:
    "Haha... now it's gonna turn into yet another thread where big_jon tells us how good he is. "

1 v 1. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.