Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

Practice

Avatar image for deactivated-5eca34e37141a
    deactivated-5eca34e37141a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I'm in the UK so have to wait for the 5th to play. I was wondering whether there was a way to go into the maps and just practice flying a helicopter either through a tutorial (as in BF1943) or through creating a private match on your own? I only got to fly the apache once in the demo as people always got there before me (and usually crashed it within seconds).

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Out_On_Bail

If your on the PC you could just join an empty server. I've yet to find a way to do this on the console. It sucks because I'd like to learn how to fly a helicopter on my own before taking it to the match. I don't want to be responsible for killing a team member because I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im only getting the 360 version but we have two 360's and are getting two copies, maybe I can create a match with system link to practice? Although I'm not even sure if this game has a system link option.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Venatio

The fifth? It comes out tommorow here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Venatio:  Not according to my amazon order, Game also says the 5th on its website
    super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By super_machine

Man, there are few things I hate more than people wasting a good chopper. If you are going to try it, take it easy. Don't just charge into battle full stick. It takes a little time, but you'll get it. I've gotten pretty good at flying so it bugs me to no end when someone beats me to it and destroys it in seconds upon take off. It wastes such a good asset for the team.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Venatio
    @kingando420 said:
    " @Venatio:  Not according to my amazon order, Game also says the 5th on its website "
    Well I live in Sweden but I thought it was the same for all countries in Europe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got to fly it once and got taken out be a UAV within a minute or so. I played alot of desert combat (1942 mod) on pc where the heli controls were more complicated so it seemed pretty simple to fly. I really just want to practice without being shot at though as this is how I mastered the planes in 1943.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Venatio:  No,  Europe release 4th, UK release 5th (Sucks!)
    Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Venatio
    @kingando420 said:

" I got to fly it once and got taken out be a UAV within a minute or so. I played alot of desert combat (1942 mod) on pc where the heli controls were more complicated so it seemed pretty simple to fly. I really just want to practice without being shot at though as this is how I mastered the planes in 1943. "

I've always been a helicopter dude, ever since Battlefield 2 and I usually manage to stay in the heli for a whole match but most people crashes as soon as they get it, and there are whole groups of people who just stand and wait for it to respawn to crash again
    grotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By grotto

Yeah, I used to open a private server in BF2 and BF2142 and just fly the aircraft around the map (for those that don't remember there were JSFs and MIG 29s along with Blackhawks and Apache's in BF2) to practice. Since I switched over to console gaming for most things, I have really missed this feature.  I would say that aircraft are in general easier to fly in BF2 than any previous BF game, they have finally got the cyclic controls right.  

One issue is that it is hard to fix yourself up in the console games - if you get shot up in the older games, it was fairly easy to go hover over the pad and fix yourself. Not so much now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grotto: Yeah repairing is tougher now, I heard that you can repair your chopper in the air if you have an engineer in your Blackhawk but you need to land and repair in the Apache. This is why I really want to practice, landing can be tough if you haven't mastered the controls!
    grotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By grotto
    @kingando420: I think they did it as a balancing scheme - a good pilot could (and usually would) change the game in BF2. Now, you pretty much get one ride into the fight, you get shot up, jump out - rinse and repeat. All in all, aircraft have been weakened in every game since BF2.  I do like the UAV though.
    Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Out_On_Bail
    @grotto: Today I was in a match (BC2) and a good pilot was on the opposite team. He was tearing us up and we got whooped bad. I felt like I was the only person who noticed what was going on.  

Slightly off-topic but I despise when people ignore the most serious threats. We win together or we lose together. I prefer to win.
    Andheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Andheez

I play last night, it kinda sucked.  First I got kicked to the dashboard.  Then when I got in, it teamed 4 level 0 noobs ( I at least played the Demo, got good at that ) versus 7 people who had obviously been playing since midnight last night, level 6 was the lowest ranked player on their team.  Clearly we got demolished, as we had no working medics or engineers (no abilites unlocked) , the other players didnt use the vehicles, or when they did, just got rocked by missles or mines.  Hopefully it will clean itself up soon, balance out.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By white

I suggest flying the Blackhawk or UAV first if you wanna practice. Give the Apache and Hind to the seasoned pilots to yield maximum damage.

That is, of course, unless the fucking scrubs take the chopper first and do nothing but pepper the ground and making the terrain less flat.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By jmrwacko

Don't get why people can't fly helicopters, to be honest. It's really simple if you've ever played any sort of flying game ever, even something like Star Fox. Just make sure to invert the flight controls if you've ever used a joystick before, or you'll be vertically confused.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jmrwacko:  I'm sure I can fly it, but mastering it is different, besides so far I haven't had the opportunity to find out!

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
    deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

@kingando420: im with you kingando. the helicopter is a valuable asset and i really wish i could have some time to practice with it. i think you will be able to in the singleplayer though. so once you get to that level just keep repeating
    nethanel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nethanel

I don't have a problem with flying, honestly its easier in BC2. Only problem is that you often have gunners who can't shoot for shit

JDDrewes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JDDrewes

you could try practicing in the campaign. other than that....idk

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By MikkaQ

Man I loved using planes and choppers in the main-line PC Battlefield games. Taking dudes behind enemy lines, and sandwiching them from both sides while raining death from above was basically the most fun I've had in that game.  

I should really try to get my hands on a chopper in this game, but they're taken up really fast, and I find that grabbing an ATV, and just go flying past the enemies before they can react, then get out  and get killin'.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By JoelTGM
    @nethanel said:
    " I don't have a problem with flying, honestly its easier in BC2. Only problem is that you often have gunners who can't shoot for shit "
    Because the aim isn't responsive.  It's slow, sort of like trying to aim a tank, and when the pilot is dodging RPGs you can't adjust fast enough. 
    nethanel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By nethanel
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:

" @nethanel said:

" I don't have a problem with flying, honestly its easier in BC2. Only problem is that you often have gunners who can't shoot for shit "
    Because the aim isn't responsive.  It's slow, sort of like trying to aim a tank, and when the pilot is dodging RPGs you can't adjust fast enough.  "
    I hardly get to fly Hinds or Apaches, since three million people camp at their spawn. The black hawk's gun is pretty easy to use, and people can not hit anything even when I'm just circling the target at the same altitude. Its actually easier to take down helicopters with Stationary guns or Tanks, its difficult to hit the tracer dart or RPGs

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.