Taking down helicopters

#1 Posted by Musicom (66 posts) -

I was in a few matches on the Atacama Desert map earlier and there were some players on the opposing team absolutely dominating in the air.  I tried using the guided missile launcher with the engineer class but to no success. Chipping away at them over multiple deaths using stationary machine turret fire worked a little better, but there must be a more efficient way. Any advice would be appreciated.

#2 Posted by FartyMcNarly (566 posts) -

Hit that big ass ramp

#3 Edited by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

I don't know either :\

I tried getting on the stationary launcher, but the chopper pilot was smart enough not to go low enough for me to hit him.  UAVs can kill choppers, but I wouldn't call that very reliable... I don't know where they are usually, and if I find a control station it doesn't always let me use it.

#4 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -

I've had the most success with the 2nd rocket launcher that you get as the engineer, those things are fast as hell so it's a lot easier to hit them. UAV's are by far the best way to take them out if you can get in it though.

#5 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -
@canucks23 said:
" I've had the most success with the 2nd rocket launcher that you get as the engineer, those things are fast as hell so it's a lot easier to hit them. UAV's are by far the best way to take them out if you can get in it though. "
Pretty much this, just try get good at at being and engineer.
#6 Posted by jkz (4008 posts) -

Use the Carl Gustav: it requires far less lead time and less compensating for distance, and it travels really damn quickly. I've gotten to the point where I can usually take out a heli in 1-2 attempts, just takes a little practice.

#7 Posted by jkz (4008 posts) -

Use the Carl Gustav: it requires far less lead time and less compensating for distance, and it travels really damn quickly. I've gotten to the point where I can usually take out a heli in 1-2 attempts, just takes a little practice.    

#8 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

I just leave when that shit happens. It is no fun at all.
#9 Posted by PDC_Emulator (184 posts) -

Any stationary or vehicle mounted MG can chip away at a chopper pretty well once you learn how to lead properly. Most of the time if you damage the heli enough the pilot will try and get the hell out of dodge, and if you can get a couple of guys in your squad to focus on taking down the helicopter things will go much easier.

#10 Posted by Marz (5648 posts) -

There is an AA gun in the middle of the map and at each base, use them and it's easy to take them down.  Or use an M95 sniper rifle, it damages choppers.

#11 Edited by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

If someone's a sure shot with the dart launcher, you can nail helicopters pretty fast.  Just get one of those damn things on the chopper, then when your team fires away with the rockets, they'll head straight for the chopper. 
Not so easy, though.  You need to significantly lead them with the dart if you wanna hit 'em.

#12 Posted by FrankTheGank (74 posts) -

Tracer Dart, then Gustav it.  Has never failed me once.

#13 Posted by Gabriel (4058 posts) -

Remember Rambo 2, yeah like that.

#14 Posted by Lunarbunny (1025 posts) -

If the snipers are really retarded (e.g. 80% of the time) and you're holding the middle, the anti-air is really effective against helicopters. I didn't know there was AA at the bases, but the middle is where the helicopters love to loiter. I took out the enemy helicopter 4-5 times one match without dying (a sniper took a couple potshots at me but he sucked anyway).

#15 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Musicom said:
" I was in a few matches on the Atacama Desert map earlier and there were some players on the opposing team absolutely dominating in the air.  I tried using the guided missile launcher with the engineer class but to no success. Chipping away at them over multiple deaths using stationary machine turret fire worked a little better, but there must be a more efficient way. Any advice would be appreciated. "
1.  Engineer : Level your skills so that you unlock the targetting tracer dartgun (this is available for the medic as well via levelling) so that you can fire a tracer dart on a chopper and then your RPGs will follow the chopper int the air until the target is reached.  You can also rocket them without the tracer dart but that involves learning the arc on the RPG to such an extent that you can almost blindfire it (not via the aiming reticule) to hit targets for maximum damage.  Most important is not to use the second level RPG on choppers as that it more effective on troops or ground based vehicles and has a much much shorter arc so is much harder to hit a flying vehicle at a distance.

2. Recon : snipe pilots and gunners - easily the most effective way to take them down quickly.

3. SPOT SPOT SPOT.  When looking at an enemy of any sort go into zoomed, iron sights or reticule mode (shoulder button on console, right click on PC) and press Select/Back or Q depending on your system of choice (PS3/XBOX360/PC respectively) to let your side know that an enemy has been identified. This is the most important lesson.  BC2 is all about spotting enemy emplacements, troops and vehicles.  Remember that each time you face off against an enemy and die without spotting them, not only have you potentially lost a ticket for your side, but that enemy is invisible to your team on their radars and could well slip by them without being noticed.  It's also an extremely effective way of taking down enemy choppers (UAV included) because it's increases the likelihood that people on your side have fair warning and can work collectively to take them down or avoid them as necessary; 4 rockets being fired at one chopper are far more effective than just one. Spotting is especially important in Rush games where knowledge of enemy positions can make all the difference in attacking or defending MCOM installations.   Also, you get SPOT bonuses for tagging enemies who get taken down by your side and this is multiplied even higher if one of your squadmates does the take down.

4. Tanks.
#16 Posted by jmrwacko (2443 posts) -
@Musicom said:
" I was in a few matches on the Atacama Desert map earlier and there were some players on the opposing team absolutely dominating in the air.  I tried using the guided missile launcher with the engineer class but to no success. Chipping away at them over multiple deaths using stationary machine turret fire worked a little better, but there must be a more efficient way. Any advice would be appreciated. "
1. Go sniper.
2. Rank up to M95.
3. Profit!!

M95 kills choppers in about 6 hits, and you can snipe pilots out of their seats as well. Easy enough to do if the pilot is hovering in place, which happens a lot with these "domination" pilot/gunner combos.
#17 Posted by Spoonman671 (4588 posts) -

I like to use the last RL and make sure to fire at them when they're flying away from you.  Of course you could just use the tracer dart and one of the other two rocket launchers (the last  RL is not compatible with the tracer).  I've found them to be similarly effective methods.

#18 Posted by Musicom (66 posts) -

Will certainly give sniping and tracer darts a try. Suppose it's just down to practice, really, if anything - being able to get a shot off during the split second a good pilot might hover still.

Cheers for the comments, everyone.

#19 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -
@jmrwacko: Seriously? I didn't know that sniper was so powerful. I'll have to try that.
#20 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

The M136AT4 is the most effective way to bring a helicopter down if you know how to use it, esp. if you're trying to bring down Blackhawks.

#21 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

I've tried several times to dart a copter but have never been able too.  Plus the reload on the dart is so damn slow...

#22 Posted by nethanel (188 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
"  Engineer : Level your skills so that you unlock the targetting tracer dartgun (this is available for the medic as well via levelling) so that you can fire a tracer dart on a chopper and then your RPGs will follow the chopper int the air until the target is reached.  You can also rocket them without the tracer dart but that involves learning the arc on the RPG to such an extent that you can almost blindfire it (not via the aiming reticule) to hit targets for maximum damage.  Most important is not to use the second level RPG on choppers as that it more effective on troops or ground based vehicles and has a much much shorter arc so is much harder to hit a flying vehicle at a distance.

Tracer gun is available to all classes. And the "second level RPG" is actually the best, the Carl Gustav's rocket has the fastest flight speed though slightly less damage
#23 Posted by philuk19 (124 posts) -

On a tank with the alt weapon package, giving me the use of a machine gun from the main turret along with a gunner, choppers go down fast.

#24 Posted by Garrus (543 posts) -

Any RPG should take one down in one shot, the black-hawks are easier to shoot down than the Apaches and the Hinds. 

Also tips for shooting, practice with the launchers, don't use stationary ATs like the KORN and the other ones there are. Wait for a helicopter to fly in a straight line, if it's flying left or right, aim up, aim ahead of it, if it's in attacking distance and doing so, aim at least 1 length or 1 and a half times it's length ahead of the chopper. Carl Gustav AT does help but I've done it multiple times with an RPG and AT4.

If the guy is stupid enough to fly in a straight line towards your base, aim up, aim above the guy if he's very far away, and hope you reload in time to hit him when he's closer if you missed.

M95 Sniper rifles also work, I've shot a few people away from the cockpits before too. It's actually one of the funnier ways to take one down.

#25 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Pro tip for recon players. The M95 damages choppers. Not much, but 1-2 clips on mark will make the chopper retreat. With some luck you'll get a headshot on the pilot too. 

But the M2CG rocketlauncher is definitly the way to go. Blackhawks are quite easy targets, but the attackchoppers take some chops to take down.

#26 Posted by Tennmuerti (8057 posts) -

I was in a rush game against some very skilled heli pilot, there were like 4 people trying to shoot it with rockets all the time, the guy simply kept dodging all of them, even tracer darts were ineffective. He has positioned himself at quite a distance so he always had time to dodge out of the way, and our rocket fire at it simply revealed our positions to snipers of the oposite team.

Eventually we were abou to loose our position and I decided to take a chance, I went way around the battlefield, praying to whatever gods would listen to remain unnoticed, went in the water under the buildings. While I was traveling our base got taken :( But eventually I got right under the chopper where I was really close and the pilot could not see me and launched a rocked right in his underbelly. Brought that fucker down, woooo!

#27 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

UAV that motherfucka. Totally fired a missile on a Hind in a UAV while I was right under it as it realised I wasn't even shooting at him (I didn't have the alt fire for the machine gun) so I just hid behind it and blew it up midair.

On a more realistic scale, collective insurgents firing their RPGs at the helicopter works out nice and fine.

#28 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

The best way, I find is to use the mounted machine guns. I can't lead my shots well, so grabbing an automatic that does heavy damage works wonders. But I guess the Carl Gustav is probably a great method, combined with the Tracer Dart. Due to the fact everyone seems to swear by the Gustav technique. If you get an idiot pilot you can simply use the Stationary AT. I've done it to a UH-64 Blackhawk before. Not particularly easy, but it is possible.

#29 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

Snipe the pilot lol

#30 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

Snipe the pilot.   

#31 Posted by raiz265 (2237 posts) -

heavy MGs work best imho

#32 Posted by dimdum (34 posts) -

use the tracer dart gun and u can lock on to helis with the rpg or second one while the last missile can actually lock on by itself

#33 Posted by nethanel (188 posts) -
@Garrus said:
" Any RPG should take one down in one shot, the black-hawks are easier to shoot down than the Apaches and the Hinds."  
AFAIK 1 RPG cannot destroy a full health chopper, it will be left with 10 hp or lower. The RPG with the increased explosives damage should kill in 1 ht.  

Best way to take down the Apaches/Hinds is the Abrams/T-90 MBTs, unless the pilot is really good it shouldn't be too hard to hit him as he makes his runs at you, and you can repair most of the damage when he makes his loop. Its almost impossible to hit a fast apache/hind with the tracer
#34 Posted by Azrail (404 posts) -

m95 last sniper u get, actually hurts helicopters including stationary guns

#35 Posted by Cheapoz (1064 posts) -

Again, which class unlocks tracer dart and when?

#37 Posted by Rockanomics (1150 posts) -

Definitely tanks, if you can hit them with a shell it's nice, but if you have another guy in the tank with the MG just shooting at it non-stop there's really nothing the Heli can do. 

Any of the mounted MGs on tripods or vehicles work, but the Tank can survive so many rockets he'll have no chance. Obviously any of the AA guns are great if they are available.

#38 Edited by Garrus (543 posts) -
@nethanel: Maybe the Hind or Apaches but I have downed many, many blackhawk choppers, at full health, without the enhanced explosives perk with a single RPG. Though I wonder whether where you hit affects the damage, like hitting the tail. I usually hit the tail because of the angle that I shoot at most choppers with generally and because of the nature of an RPG as an anti chopper weapon not being as fast a heavy MG.
#39 Posted by Bucketdeth (8005 posts) -

Get on a MG and pick it apart, you'll eventually take it down.

#40 Posted by stealthdf2 (168 posts) -

M2 CG is best. it reloads fast it has high velocity to get to the target quick. i took out 3 blackhawks in a rows using it

#41 Posted by nethanel (188 posts) -
@Garrus: I think different parts of the chopper deal a varying amount of damage. I have hit down choppers with 1 RPG, though I am not sure if they were at full health, but I have also hit black hawks with a tracer followed with a RPG and have it survive.
#42 Posted by Garrus (543 posts) -
@nethanel: It might be that hitting the side where the gunner is does not take down a Black Hawk because they have the most armour of all helicopters and any smart engineer in a black hawk will fix it up asap if he can. I think now that it's happened to me. I was hit by an RPG in the gunner seat on the side, it killed me but not the chopper, I believe hitting the tail or the cockpit will down it.
#43 Posted by Tennmuerti (8057 posts) -

I find any of the 3 rocket launchers to be awesome when taking down a noob in a helicopter.
If a heli has a good pilot he will laugh and show you a middle finger to any and all rockets. Leading will do nothing if he is good at varying height/speed/direction.
Then you can only rely on M95, UAV, stationary MGs or armored anti air.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.