Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

Terrible support of Bad Company 2 by DICE/EA

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Jayross

The lack of support for BC2 from DICE is quite disheartening. Add onto that the (probably) weak Medal of Honor multiplayer, and I am starting to lose my trust in DICE.  

But it gets worse. Here is an interview that Game Informer did with Patrick Bach, the executive producer of the Battlefield games. I have chosen some choice bits for you guys. 

Q: Battlefield Bad Company 2 has certainly sold well, but after starting out strong on the Xbox Live charts it has steadily plummeted out of the top 10 while FPS competitors like Call of Duty and Halo keep going strong. Do you think the absence of new maps is the chief reason BC2 slid down the rankings, or is it something else? 

A: We're very happy with both the initial weeks of sales of Battlefield: Bad Company 2 but equally so with the long tail of the product, how it keeps selling week over week now long after launch. We don't consider the lack of paid content to be a key factor in why the game is now selling less. This is part of the natural life cycle of a product, and we still have a huge amount of active players. We don't think it is a surprise that people are playing Halo at the moment, and frankly speaking we know that Bad Company 2 Vietnam has taken its fair share of time to be finished. Now that it is close to completion – and if our epic play tests here at DICE are any indication – we feel confident that our fans will have a blast come winter.   Patrick Bach says that the sharp decline of Bad Company 2 on the multiplayer charts is part of the "natural life cycle" of the game, but as the magazine points out, other games are doing very, very well, despite some being out for over two to three years.  

The lack of support for Bad Company 2 was ridiculous. While there were some patches, an over-priced co-op addition, and 6 disc-locked map "packs", it was clearly not enough to keep people interested in the game.

I like how he says they are not surprised people are playing Halo, at least they realize that there is a weakness in Bad Company 2. 
    I tweeted someone else high-up at DICE, who says that are taking a lot of inspiration from Halo, so hopefully that will do them some good. 

Q: If you had a chance to go back and do it again, would you have released more map packs earlier rather than using the VIP strategy, which simply opened up pre-existing maps for new modes?

A: We think doing the VIP program was a good way to give our fans complementing features that we did not have the possibility of implementing in the base game at launch, and we have received good feedback for our VIP program. That being said, we are currently evaluating the VIP program to decide how to best approach this in the future. 

Eh... the one thing that gets me: "We have received good feedback for our VIP program." WHAAT? The VIP program was a mess that just unlocked modes on existing maps. The maps should have been unlocked for all modes at launch. If the VIP program had been free new maps, that would be awesome, but that's not the reality of the situation.   

See this poll for feedback on the VIP system:  http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-bad-company-2-ng/1360216-do-you-like-vip-system-3.html#post18583713

Although Medal of Honor doesn't have anything like that, I'm pretty sure, so let's hope that is the end of the VIP program.   

Other notes from the interview:  
    Patrick Bach said there will be no jets because the size of the maps do not allow for them. 
    Patrick Bach said there will not be any booby-traps or special Vietkong-related abilities, because it would be too difficult to balance. 

Battlefield 3?

I loved Battlefield 2. Actually, I still love it. It is a great game. I am really looking for to Battlefield 3, but after Bad Company 2 and the upcoming Medal of Honor, I'm really anxious about how Battlefield 3 is going to turn out. I have written numerous other blogs about Battlefield 3 and how I want it to turn out, but I really doubt most of it will happen.  

You know, if DICE had just released the Bad Company 1 maps for BC2 three months ago, I would be perfectly happy. But they didn't.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

That's what happens when you put a PC centric game to the consoles as a lead.  Sad to say it but it's true. 

If BC2 was just for PC, I bet it would've been having much better support.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax

I think lack of DLC has certainly been a factor. But another thing to consider is that Call of Duty is so much easier to get into, whereas Bad Company 2 takes dedication to be good at. That's most certainly a turn off for some people. 

As for Halo, well, the name sells.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By big_jon

I have to agree,
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Shadow

And what FPS's do you play that have had more support barely a half year after they came out?  At this point for MW2, it only had one map pack released.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Shadow: Team Fortess 2?  Unreal 2004, both Counter Strikes?
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Diamond

What kind of support would you have wanted?  DLC maps and/or modes?

Reach was always going to be popular online, there's nothing DICE could have done to stop that.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Shadow
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Shadow: Team Fortess 2?  Unreal 2004, both Counter Strikes? "
    console games
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By ryanwho

Seems like they're putting all their eggs in the Medal of Honor basket. Its callus to say but a lot of people at EA are just like "BC2 sold what its going to sold, there's no point in wasting resources on it now". This shortsightedness if going to harbor resentment. How many people are going to try out BC3 after this?

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By ch13696
    @natetodamax said:
    " I think lack of DLC has certainly been a factor. But another thing to consider is that Call of Duty is so much easier to get into, whereas Bad Company 2 takes dedication to be good at. That's most certainly a turn off for some people.  As for Halo, well, the name sells. "
    That is definitely true. My brother is a big time Modern Warfare player. I've also played Modern Warfare, but seemed to easy for me. My brother is also a big time shit talker. So I bought a copy of BC2 for me and him. I've played BF2 in the past a lot. After playing BC2 for a few hours online. Let's just say he stopped talking shit on me. But, he kept talking shit on the game because he couldn't get the hang of it. 

I'm beginning to think that Battlefield is for the serious FPS player while Call of Duty is more for the child that wants an easy way out.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ch13696
    @KaosAngel said:
    Don't forget Borderlands and Left 4 Dead 1&2.
    Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Teaspoon83

I'm just upset that they never brought the Dr Pepper DLC to PCs. Sigh. But really, more maps would have been great.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jayjonesjunior

people play de_dust for over a decade, the core is simple but it doesn't get old, even after 10 years. 

its clearly support but not because the lack of extra content but the inability to fix a broken game. 
    how many people leveled exploiting the horrible revive point system. (in BC2 if you kill your teammate you lost  some points but if you revive that person you killed after you get more points than you lost from killing, so you end up positive and in the top of the chart.)

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By huntad

I feel like Valve and Bungie are really the only ones that support their games anymore on the 360 side. On the PS3 side it's really only Naughty dog, and...Insomniac for Resistance? I don't know, I haven't had too many problems with many PS3 games as I haven't played enough of them yet. Still, the life cycle of games depend on the frequency of release IMO. Most developers love putting out a game a year which practically nullifies the argument for post-game patches/support. It's sad, really.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Animasta
    @huntad said:
    " I feel like Valve and Bungie are really the only ones that support their games anymore on the 360 side. On the PS3 side it's really only Naughty dog, and...Insomniac for Resistance? I don't know, I haven't had too many problems with many PS3 games as I haven't played enough of them yet. Still, the life cycle of games depend on the frequency of release IMO. Most developers love putting out a game a year which practically nullifies the argument for post-game patches/support. It's sad, really. "
    Valve doesn't? L4D aside, they haven't done jack with TF2 all these years on the 360
    huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By huntad
    @Laketown:  And they will not ever. They are primarily a PC developer. I suppose they tried to get away with the patch size with Microsoft, but they weren't having it. It's not just Valve's fault in the matter. Besides that case, every other game has been fully supported by Valve. I stand by my statement.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Laketown said:
    " @huntad said:
    " I feel like Valve and Bungie are really the only ones that support their games anymore on the 360 side. On the PS3 side it's really only Naughty dog, and...Insomniac for Resistance? I don't know, I haven't had too many problems with many PS3 games as I haven't played enough of them yet. Still, the life cycle of games depend on the frequency of release IMO. Most developers love putting out a game a year which practically nullifies the argument for post-game patches/support. It's sad, really. "
    Valve doesn't? L4D aside, they haven't done jack with TF2 all these years on the 360 "
    That's because TF2 is utterly unplayable with a console controller.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Shadow
    @ch13696 said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    Don't forget Borderlands and Left 4 Dead 1&2. "
    I did mean console games.  There's no competing with the constant mods the PC market introduces, or Valve's PC support.  Borderlands I won't argue but by this time past the release date, Left 4 Dead had that one free pack (if that) and Left 4 Dead 2 hadn't yet released the DLC for it.  Bad Company 2 has been getting fantastic support and unless you're Call of Duty or Halo, you're simply not going to stay on that top 10 list.  It doesn't matter how much you support something when the top 10 list will forever be a mix of Call of Duty, Halo, and whatever happened to be released that particular week.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Tennmuerti

I think this has more to do with how accessible and enticing to the casual crowd games like Halo and MW2 are.
    It's very similar to the reason WoW is so successful. The barrier to entry is super low even if the skill cap can be high.
    For an average person it is much easier to think about coming home and playing  few rounds of Halo or MW2 to relax then say BFBC2 which is a more serious shooter. (by serious I don't mean better or worse) 

I still play a few times a week, but will probably move onto MoH when it comes out. Not feeling Vietnam at all.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By GoofyGoober
    Yeah. the support for BC2 was pretty horrible, after 5 months of playing the game, it kept going downhill fast for me so I stopped playing it.  The dev support and community ruined it for me.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ch13696
    @Shadow said:
    " @ch13696 said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    Don't forget Borderlands and Left 4 Dead 1&2. "
    I did mean console games.  There's no competing with the constant mods the PC market introduces, or Valve's PC support.  Borderlands I won't argue but by this time past the release date, Left 4 Dead had that one free pack (if that) and Left 4 Dead 2 hadn't yet released the DLC for it.  Bad Company 2 has been getting fantastic support and unless you're Call of Duty or Halo, you're simply not going to stay on that top 10 list.  It doesn't matter how much you support something when the top 10 list will forever be a mix of Call of Duty, Halo, and whatever happened to be released that particular week. "
    I completely agree with you on the fact that Halo and Call of Duty will stay on the top 10 list. However, the 3 games I mention have always received support and DLC even after a year of release. This is even on the console. Hell, look at the first Left 4 Dead. It's been almost 2 years since release and it's still getting DLC. It's sad to see that games that still get support aren't on the top 10 while games that lose support after 8-10 months of release (Call of Duty) is still up there. For me, I would still support Halo and Call of Duty if they would still support their older games. I'm just tired of buying a new game every year.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22  Edited By Cube

I've been playing BC2 with no problems and still having as much fun with it as when I started. 

I don't see any problems at all. Who seriously gives a fuck about top ten lists, as long as I can get into a full game I'm happy. When people stop playing, I'll be disappointed.  

DLC is a waste of time, when Special forces came out for BF2 nobody bought it and everyone stuck with the original game. 

Andheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Andheez
    @Jayross: 
    I was definitely ready to keep playing, I loved the multi-player, but I only play attack/defend, so the lack of maps just ruined it for me, I kept waiting for more maps, but now I am long gone.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RsistncE

Either way it was still by far the best multiplayer shooter that has come out in the past year (even more since I though MW2 sucked).

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By VanderSEXXX
    @RsistncE said:
    " Either way it was still by far the best multiplayer shooter that has come out in the past year (even more since I though MW2 sucked). "
    I agree with this. I still play a few games a week, and even if I know MW2 may be more popular, I simply can't find the motivation to even go back to playing it eversince I stated playing BFBC2. :o
    xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By xMP44x

Support for Bad Company 2 hasn't been that bad in my opinion. Alright, some of the features, such as the VIP scheme were more hassle than they were worth, and some of the DLC should not have costed. For example: Onslaught was already contained on the disc. Overall though I enjoyed Bad Company 2, and I still do. I'm not bothered by Medal of Honor, so I'll pass it up for more Battlefield content, such as the Vietnam pack. I might buy some Microsoft Points to get it, after Black Ops releases and I try it out.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vorbis

Really, you want DLC mappacks that split the community even further?

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By Nadafinga
    @VanderSEXXX said:

" @RsistncE said:

" Either way it was still by far the best multiplayer shooter that has come out in the past year (even more since I though MW2 sucked). "

I agree with this. I still play a few games a week, and even if I know MW2 may be more popular, I simply can't find the motivation to even go back to playing it eversince I stated playing BFBC2. :o "
    I also agree. I played MW2 for a few months, got to like level 52 or something, but got sick of it. BC2 has it's hooks in me deep, and it's gonna be my GotY, I've put like 240 hours into the thing, I still play every week.

But I also agree that DICE hasn't supported the game very well.  The worst offense was the game breaking lag that lasted for weeks and weeks this summer, it took them forever to fix it. But there's still things in the game that they haven't fixed yet...like when a match ends, it tells you you lost, even though you won, or vice versa. There's little stats things too, like in my stats it tells me I have zero resupplies even though I have hundreds. And a few different times this month I've jumped into a game, and it thinks I'm level 1, and I have no weapon unlocks or anything. Sure, it goes away if you come back the next day, but how hard are all these things to fix? The game has been out a long time now, and not fixing these these little things tells me that they don't really care, they sold 5 million copies, they have our money, and they're more interested in pumping out MoH or BC2: Vietnam, rather than fixing/supporting what's already out there. I would buy any and all map packs they put out, and I'm sure a lot of other people would too. I think they're probably just spread too thin on all their projects to really dedicate any serious amount of support/extra development for this game.

Oh BC2, I love you, but sometimes you hurt my feelings.
    FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FirePrince

Quality over quantitty. 
    I played more BC2 then MW2,and I'll be getting Battlefield 3 instead of Black Ops.  
    Just my 2 cents.

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Potter9156

I don't see why DICE couldn't produce at least a couple map packs. The maps in Battlefield are simple, just copy and pasted models placed around a simple open designed map. Only time consuming thing would be the designing and balancing of the object and spawn locations. But BC2 maps aren't exactly super well designed or balanced. Even if they were, it still wouldn't take much time or resources. DICE just moved on to other games.  

As for the people going "BC2 is a serious, grownup FPS.". What the heck? Is BC2 the only shooter you have played? BC2 is in no way shape or form a hard, serious or grownup game. You people either have not played games for very long(which I don't blame you or care) or you're just ignorant. Don't get me wrong, I liked BC2. It was a good game, but to say it was "the FPS for grownups" like a PR guy spewing buzzwords is just beyond idiotic to the point of being puerile. 

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31  Edited By Jayross

For the record, I have over 200 hours in BC2 (yeah, I have no life).

Maybe it doesn't have to do with support, maybe it just wasn't deep enough?

I am just hoping BF3 isn't going to be more like BC3...

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Jayross said:
    " I am just hoping BF3 isn't going to be more like BC3... "
    DICE doesn't care about PC users.  There won't be Jets or 64v64, or anything that relates to BF2.  Don't be hyped for BF3 and just hope someone one day makes something comparable to BF3.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Jayross said: 

" I am just hoping BF3 isn't going to be more like BC3... "

DICE doesn't care about PC users.  There won't be Jets or 64v64, or anything that relates to BF2.  Don't be hyped for BF3 and just hope someone one day makes something comparable to BF3.    
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#34  Edited By 234r2we232
    @FirePrince said:
    "

Quality over quantitty. 
    I played more BC2 then MW2,and I'll be getting Battlefield 3 instead of Black Ops.  
    Just my 2 cents.

"
    Spoken like a true anti-Call of Duty troll. Thanks.

Back on-topic: Does BC Vietnam count as support? Will no doubt be way more over-priced than any map pack. EA <3 moneys.
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By yinstarrunner
    @Potter9156 I don't believe people are calling bc2 a "mature" game because of its content, but rather the emphasis the game puts on teamwork above similar console shooters such as call of duty and halo.

Yes, the PR guy from DICE is half-correct. The rate at which the console population migrate from one month to the next makes it unlikely for a game to keep a good population, save for a few select franchises that have cemented themselves in that multiplayer space. I think there's some weird psychology that comes with matchmaking that isn't present in games with a server browser that shows exactly how many games are going on at once.
    ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ViciousReiven

Well I haven't seen the NEED for support, I mean other than some new maps I like the game the way it is.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By GoofyGoober
    @yinstarrunner: The whole fact that you couldn't talk to your whole team in the damn game ruined most of "teamwork" feeling for me. Yeah there was the select button to issue out orders but when your team is filled with idiots and won't listen it is hard, plus it would have been just better to say something to the person over the mic. BC2 is probably one of the least "mature" Battlefield games. It is still a fun game, but the annoyances caught up to me.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @KaosAngel said:
    " That's what happens when you put a PC centric game to the consoles as a lead.  Sad to say it but it's true.  If BC2 was just for PC, I bet it would've been having much better support. "
    um? what? what kind of crap is this?
    this has nothing to do with it being on PC, or being on Consoles, it has every thing to do with the developer getting lazy instead of keeping their user base happy with updates or patches to fix the problems still there, and not releasing worthwhile content they keep with content all ready on the disc that you have to pay to unlock they are going off and concentrating on other games and online modes instead of supporting the game they put out and we paid money for.  DICE under EA's healm would never have made it better then it is if it was PC exclusive that's just silly too believe.

*well you all paid money for, I won't touch BC2 with a 10 foot poll till it comes down to bargin bin prices, I got BC1 and it was a horrible game, with glitch filled spawn camping multiplayer, I knew BC2 would be the exact same way, I miss battlefield 2 games like Modern combat, I sunk so much time into that game on the original xbox then on the xbox 360.*
    Creigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Creigz
    @KaosAngel said:
    " That's what happens when you put a PC centric game to the consoles as a lead.  Sad to say it but it's true.  If BC2 was just for PC, I bet it would've been having much better support. "
    This is actually true. 2142 and Battlefield 2 had great support. This is because they didn't have to re-code updates for EACH console, just PC. PC is a whole new beast in itself, for many reasons. It doesn't deal with matchmaking, so server side updates need to happen, also client side updates, additionally the code is different on consoles, and they have to take into account the many different configurations of computers, peripherals, and even control schemes. To do it for PC and then separately for console is gonna be costly and time consuming, more than many companies actively producing games can afford.
    VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By VanderSEXXX
    @KaosAngel said:
    Sadly I gotta agree with this cause so far this is what I'm seeing with BFBC2. Although I still play at-least once every week with the servers here in Asia still packed more support is definitely needed and I hope DICE really listens to fans just as they have listened in providing dedicated server support.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.