Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

The State of the Battlefield Franchise: Battlefield 3

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

Edited By Jayross

Battlefield 3

Battlefield 3 was supposedly announced in June 2009, by John Pleasants, EA's chief operating officer at the time.  

I've had the luxury of looking at Battlefield 3 over at DICE in Sweden and was highly impressed by the way the team is working on that product," he said. "Of course, that's not [coming out] in the fiscal year, but that is a product that is looking very good.    

Now, I am not totally convinced by this comment, and I still think he might have mistaken Bad Company 2 with Battlefield 3. Although since EA never publicly corrected the comment, maybe it was accurate. 

So, assuming Battlefield 3 was in development in June 2009, and is "looking very good", it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to assume we will hear some news at E3. Although I am not sure how DICE will balance Bad Company and Battlefield. Bad Company 2 was well received on the PC, but it still wasn't Battlefield 3. 

Will DICE release Battlefield 3 for the consoles? If they do, it would have to be a Modern Combat type of situation, where the console game is pretty different from the PC version. Unless DICE can really optimize the code for Frostbite, I doubt we will be seeing large-scale conquest maps like in BF2, especially if you add in destruction. The best thing for DICE to do is to keep the standard Battlefield for PC-only, but also work on Bad Company as a PC+Console release, while still supporting it.

Ideally, DICE would announce Battlefield 3 with a trailer at E3, for PC only. But let's be honest, after the huge success of BC2 and 1943 on the consoles, EA isn't going to divert all of the resources towards BF3, and will surely have some future Battlefield plans for consoles.  

Next up: The State of the Battlefield Franchise: Battlefield: 1943
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Jayross

Battlefield 3

Battlefield 3 was supposedly announced in June 2009, by John Pleasants, EA's chief operating officer at the time.  

I've had the luxury of looking at Battlefield 3 over at DICE in Sweden and was highly impressed by the way the team is working on that product," he said. "Of course, that's not [coming out] in the fiscal year, but that is a product that is looking very good.    

Now, I am not totally convinced by this comment, and I still think he might have mistaken Bad Company 2 with Battlefield 3. Although since EA never publicly corrected the comment, maybe it was accurate. 

So, assuming Battlefield 3 was in development in June 2009, and is "looking very good", it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to assume we will hear some news at E3. Although I am not sure how DICE will balance Bad Company and Battlefield. Bad Company 2 was well received on the PC, but it still wasn't Battlefield 3. 

Will DICE release Battlefield 3 for the consoles? If they do, it would have to be a Modern Combat type of situation, where the console game is pretty different from the PC version. Unless DICE can really optimize the code for Frostbite, I doubt we will be seeing large-scale conquest maps like in BF2, especially if you add in destruction. The best thing for DICE to do is to keep the standard Battlefield for PC-only, but also work on Bad Company as a PC+Console release, while still supporting it.

Ideally, DICE would announce Battlefield 3 with a trailer at E3, for PC only. But let's be honest, after the huge success of BC2 and 1943 on the consoles, EA isn't going to divert all of the resources towards BF3, and will surely have some future Battlefield plans for consoles.  

Next up: The State of the Battlefield Franchise: Battlefield: 1943
    zeefoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By zeefoes

BF3 will not come out on consoles, that's why they have the Bad Company and Modern Combat series. 

I think it'll be the same story as BF2, no single player with a tactical multiplayer focus. BF3, like BF2, would be too technical to port to consoles.

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Nadafinga

I' ve kind of been thinking along the same lines as you. The Bad Company series is more console focused (notice Onslaught Mode is only coming out on consoles), and Battlefield 3 will be their big PC game in a year or two. Of course, to appease the console players who don't get to play BF3, they'll have to release Bad Company 3 soon after it (or at least announce it as coming soon).

Oh, and I agree with you about that quote from Pleasants...the more time that passes, the more I think he was looking at Bad Company 2.

MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By MrSnow

No...............no this cant be............................... 

Howl ! Howl ! Howl ! Howl ! ( which play is that from)

Why is god so cruel.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jayross

Alright... so it seems to be official.  

BATTLEFIELD 3 EXISTS!

Avatar image for deactivated-6442941ed320c
    deactivated-6442941ed320c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not only that, but it's multi-platform! Didn't see that coming before, especially as there is no allusion to a special version (like Modern Combat for the consoles, as a watered-down version of BF2). 

I wonder if they started on  it after 2142, with a handful working on through the release of Heroes and the two Bad Company games, and after MoH the non follow-up support people will be fully committed to 3. What this all means, of course, is that details should be coming out soonish.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Diamond

Yea I really figured they wouldn't make another PC exclusive BF game...

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Icil
    @zeefoes said:
    " BF3 will not come out on consoles, that's why they have the Bad Company and Modern Combat series "
    That's really interesting. I hope they take advantage of all the great things you can do with PC-only games. 3D support? Dedicated servers is a given, right? 

Nah, who am I kiddin...

BUNTING1243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BUNTING1243

But what will it be? It seems Bad Company 2 is an evoultion of what Battlefield 2 is. What could they do to change it from what Bad Company does?
    Avatar image for deactivated-6442941ed320c
    deactivated-6442941ed320c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Technically, BC2 is an evolution of BC1, which adapts some features of BF2, but it's not supposed to have the same direction. BC is designed to be more infantry based, whilst Battlefield is, you could argue, the 'truer' experience where vehicle warfare comes into its own.

JiuJitsuka85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JiuJitsuka85

Hm. If they make the graphics a bit better ( artstyle wise ) en add jets / planes. That would be nice.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Donos

I think  DICE has found some other options for fitting the BF3 experience onto consoles. In a forums post a while ago, one of the devs said that the current limiting factor to player caps on console is bandwidth, which is restricted on PSN and Xbox Live by Sony and Microsoft respectively. The big bandwidth eater in Bad Company 1/2 is the destruction, which is why the console player caps were restricted.

The upshot is that if DICE decided to simplify or entirely remove destruction for BF3, they could significantly bump up the player cap on consoles, and improve connections on PC. I think this could work for them, keeping the Bad Company games with a focus on infantry and destruction, while maintaining main Battlefield games as larger scale and vehicle based.

StingJR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By StingJR

I really hope they put prone back in the game and up the player count. Destruction is cool but I want to play against more people. Battlefield 2 had awesome 64 player matches and I miss that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.