Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

The State of the Battlefield Franchise: Battlefield: 1943

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

Edited By Jayross

Battlefield: 1943

Battlefield; 1943 was very successful, selling over 1 million copies on the Xbox alone. Again, knowing EA, it seems silly that they failed to capitalize on 1943's success bynot releasing any DLC maps or other content, and never releasing it on the PC. (Although DICE has said there still are plans to release it, I tried suggesting that they just integrate it into Bad Company 2 on the PC, but no dice. (hah, see what I did there?) 

I personally believe it is too late for new maps for 1943: Pacific, but there are a number of other themes for a future $15 game. Battlefield: Europe is an obvious choice, but there is Battlefield Vietnam and Battlefield 2142 that could benefit from some Frostbite action and renewed life. 

But is there still room for another, smaller-scale shooter? When 1943 was released, there were very little new multiplayer games at the time, and it was summertime after all and the idea of fighting on the lush islands of the Pacific appealed to many people. And it was World War II, and despite World at War, it seemed like all of the shooters were heading towards the "modern warfare" genre. Additionally, 1943 was able to capitlize on the immense success of Battlefield: 1942, which won numerous awards and whose multiplayer was popular with many video game publications and gamers.

1943: Europe would be able to have similar success, providing the destruction was brought to BC2's level (even refined a bit more) and the class customization was expanded a bit past the "Pick One of These Three Classes" way of 1943. 

Different eras would also do a bit to change it up, Vietnam might seem a bit strange if it was released after Black Ops, and the game on PC wasn't as popular as 1942 orBF2, but if they add all of the music and and vehicles from Battlefield: Vietnam into a downloadable game, I could see that being a lot of fun. Battlefield: 2143 seems like a great idea for me, imagine having titans, mechs and helicopters all for only $15! I would assume it would require a lot more resources than 1943, but it would be worth it. 

Maybe we will see some sort of downloadable Battlefield announcement at E3... hey, I can dream, can't I?    
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Jayross

Battlefield: 1943

Battlefield; 1943 was very successful, selling over 1 million copies on the Xbox alone. Again, knowing EA, it seems silly that they failed to capitalize on 1943's success bynot releasing any DLC maps or other content, and never releasing it on the PC. (Although DICE has said there still are plans to release it, I tried suggesting that they just integrate it into Bad Company 2 on the PC, but no dice. (hah, see what I did there?) 

I personally believe it is too late for new maps for 1943: Pacific, but there are a number of other themes for a future $15 game. Battlefield: Europe is an obvious choice, but there is Battlefield Vietnam and Battlefield 2142 that could benefit from some Frostbite action and renewed life. 

But is there still room for another, smaller-scale shooter? When 1943 was released, there were very little new multiplayer games at the time, and it was summertime after all and the idea of fighting on the lush islands of the Pacific appealed to many people. And it was World War II, and despite World at War, it seemed like all of the shooters were heading towards the "modern warfare" genre. Additionally, 1943 was able to capitlize on the immense success of Battlefield: 1942, which won numerous awards and whose multiplayer was popular with many video game publications and gamers.

1943: Europe would be able to have similar success, providing the destruction was brought to BC2's level (even refined a bit more) and the class customization was expanded a bit past the "Pick One of These Three Classes" way of 1943. 

Different eras would also do a bit to change it up, Vietnam might seem a bit strange if it was released after Black Ops, and the game on PC wasn't as popular as 1942 orBF2, but if they add all of the music and and vehicles from Battlefield: Vietnam into a downloadable game, I could see that being a lot of fun. Battlefield: 2143 seems like a great idea for me, imagine having titans, mechs and helicopters all for only $15! I would assume it would require a lot more resources than 1943, but it would be worth it. 

Maybe we will see some sort of downloadable Battlefield announcement at E3... hey, I can dream, can't I?    
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MrKlorox

2143 seems like the best step for a download-only MP game, IMO. Since it wouldn't be limited by current military technology they can bend science to meet what they want out of the gameplay instead of adhering to real weapons and gadgets. Hopefully BF3 will be set somewhere in between 2010 and 2142 for the same sake.

I loved playing as the Support class in 2142 because of the EMP grenades.  Maybe we'll hear about a real new mode coming to BC2 instead of that Horde junk. I'd pay $25 for a downloadable total conversion mod for BC2 multiplayer. That's essentially what 2142 was to BF2 (except it was stand-alone).

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By FireBurger

Personally, I thought for sure they would add at least something to 1943. I still can't believe they didn't, really. Like you, I thought an equally-sized add-on set in the European theater was a logical direction, but nope...

I think if they did another bite-sized battlefield at this point they would definitely have to change eras. The period directly following the release of 1943 was DICE's chance to capitalize on more WWII content, but now the initial excitement has fizzled out and people have gotten their 1942 nostalgia-fix. It's going to take something different to get people to bite again.

As for an announcement at E3....doubtful. They're already working on Medal of Honor, Mirror's Edge 2, and Battlefield 3. And, most probably, something to do with BC3. I think our best chance at some new BF info would be some first solid details on BF3.  EA's press conference is tomorrow, so I guess we'll see.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ShaneDev

I really liked 1943 because it was a simple Battlefield game not a dumbed down one like BC1 which I also really liked. I think adding anything more to the classes or making it too complex would be for the worse. The best thing to do is make a 1944 in Europe with the best European maps from 1942, maybe 5 maps instead of 3.

I love 2142, it is my favorite Battlefield game but I would rather a straight up sequel to that game rather than a 1943 style game based in the same time. 

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Pie

Make the multiplayer for Medal of honour a arcade game and then give everybody who purchases MoH a free voucher for it and make it playable from the menus of MoH

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Pie said:

" Make the multiplayer for Medal of honour a arcade game and then give everybody who purchases MoH a free voucher for it and make it playable from the menus of MoH "

Great idea and it fits perfectly into EA's recent trend. 

I've been saying for a while they the multiplayer section of these AAA FPS titles should be offered for download for the sake of impulsive game playing without having to walk across the room and put the fking disc in the drive. Hell most of those MW2 addicts would gladly drop another $25 to play without the disc even after dropping $60+ on the disc product. I'm amazed Activision hasn't already done this considering how greedy Kotick is.
    mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By mosdl

I loved 2142 as well and would love a Frostbite version that was MP only.

DrHawking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By DrHawking

I would love it if they went back to the 2142 timeline. But Im not to hopeful if their idea of supporting their current game is adding costumes and upgrades instead some well-needed new maps.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By natetodamax

I definitely would have liked more 1943 maps, but I thought the game was a lot of fun regardless.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.