Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

Tips for playing Assault Class?

• 55 results
    Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Novyx

Depending on how a match is going, and how classes are balanced among teams, I spend a fairly equal amount of time switching between Recon, Medic, and Engineer. Every time I try to play Assault, though, I end up doing terribly and feeling like nothing I have access to is at all useful. To those who do enjoy/are good with Assault, what is the draw for you, and what sort of loadouts do you prefer?

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Three0neFive

Assault turns this game into Call of Battlefield: 40mm Clusterfuck 2

Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Novyx
    @Three0neFive:
    Hmm. that's what I was afraid of. Seemed the most effective/least fun tactic was just spamming 40mm grenades, and refilling with ammo packs. Any good rifle/specialization combos later on?
    Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By lilbigsupermario

As a start, ALWAYS remember to give ammo boxes to your teammates.  A lot of players out there forget that playing the assault class does not just mean you run around killing infantry, you also need to give out ammo to your teammates especially engineers since they are usually the ones running out of rockets and rifle ammo (due to high fire rate of their guns).  One way or another, your teammates (not just your squadmates) will always need ammo, so be highly generous with those ammo boxes.

And with the guns, always fire in bursts.  Unless you're already using the AN94 Abakan or the M16A2 since they already fire in bursts hehe!

Lastly, applicable with any class, stick with your squad or at least stay close to your teammates.  Don't be a lone wolf. :)

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Darkstar614

Be patient and aim in bursts. It might seem ridiculous to stop firing when you're in a shootout with someone, but you have to trust your gun. Be patient, hit the bursts, aim for the chest if you aren't confident, or aim for the head if you think you got a clean shot.

Or you can just camp on top of an ammo box and spam 40mm grenades... -_-

Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Novyx

See, again, I already fire all guns in bursts as a habit in games. I actually counter-snipe with ironsight SMGs if the need arises, but whereas with medic I can both toss out medkits AND revive people, I've yet to find a way that the grenades enhance teamplay, so I spend a lot of time running around aimlessly looking to resupply people. Perhaps I just need to get a bit more serious and put on the headset?

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rockanomics

My friends tell me the 3 round burst guns are where it's at. Those are the last and 3rd to last guns you get. 

I find assault pointless for the most part, other than resupplying engineers and maybe providing smoke cover, but it never seems effective. 

I don't think you have to play it if you don't like it, the 40mm shotgun is fun tho.

lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lilbigsupermario

I don't get into matches with a lot of 40mm grenade spamming.  There is a cooling time when reloading the grenade launcher anyway, so even if you just stand stationary on top of an ammo box and spam 40mm grenades, you still won't get that many kills and points compared to actually tactically positioning yourself shooting enemies and giving ammo boxes to teammates.  You'll get more points that anyway hehe!

But if you're concerned too much with your k/d percentage, then spam those grenades and be bored standing on one place hehe!

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mikeeegeee

^What they said. But keep in mind that, as an assault, it is your soul job to be the most proficient class at killing infantry. As such, work on your reflexes. Shoot in bursts. When you run out of ammo, be quick to switch to a pistol or your grenade launcher to finish the job. Your job is to be aggressive and kill the shit out of things. Do so.

I generally only use assault on defense. If I need to get someone off of the bomb pronto, I'm best at killing them quickly with that class. Currently using the XM-8, but I wager I'll stick with the AN94 once I get that. Grenade launcher or smoke, depending on what you're trying to do. Magnum bullets and extra grenades. In other words, try to stack the most killing power you can.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Drop ammo, it gets you a ton of points and can really help out the team.

Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Novyx
    @lilbigsupermario:
    Nah, I don't care at all about my K/D. It's just about how well I contribute to the team. I try to tag vehicles with any class when needed, call in effective mortars and strategically place motion mines with recon, heal and revive with medic, and repair and destroy vehicles with engineer, but it feels like I can only resupply as assault, with no secondary purpose. Maybe I should try to unlock smoke grenades? Are those even helpful? I'm not sure I've ever seen one used in a match.
    Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Novyx
    @mikeeegeee:
    Ah, okay. That does make a lot more sense. I guess I've mostly just been shying away from the whole reflex-based play after getting burned out in MW2 after that launched. I guess I'll probably just end up coming back to it once I have more All-Kit unlocks.
    bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bicycleham

Your grenade launcher isn't just ment for taking down bad guys. With the 40MMSMK you can put up cover so no one will be able to socialize spot you and won't even be able to see you. With the 40MMGL you can take down enemy cover and even sometimes topple down an entire building.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14  Edited By Geno

About half of my deaths are from 40mm grenades, there's your purpose right there. 

Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Novyx

Thanks for the tips, everyone. They're much appreciated, and I think i do understand what I was doing wrong before, now, so with luck I'll be more successful with all the classes, going forward. Can't promise I'll practice immediately, though, since I'm still sort of in Borderlands Binge Mode, but I tend to burn out on Borderlands and then binge on BFBC2, then repeat in reverse.

Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Dark_Jon

Use the grenade launcher and the AN-94. M416 is alright too but AN-94 wins for long range too.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DrPockets000

The assault class is the spearhead of the squad.  They are meant for leading the charge, so they are at the frontline.  I have the most fun with the assault class, and I can do so by rarely using the 40mm grenades.  With the assault class I can move quickly around the battlefield and I have a powerful gun as well.  

lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lilbigsupermario
    @Novyx said:

" @lilbigsupermario:Nah, I don't care at all about my K/D. It's just about how well I contribute to the team. I try to tag vehicles with any class when needed, call in effective mortars and strategically place motion mines with recon, heal and revive with medic, and repair and destroy vehicles with engineer, but it feels like I can only resupply as assault, with no secondary purpose. Maybe I should try to unlock smoke grenades? Are those even helpful? I'm not sure I've ever seen one used in a match. "

Smoke grenades are actually awesome.  There are some youtube videos that show effective use of smoke grenades at MCOMs.  I've tried the smoke grenades as an attacker and when I armed an MCOM, I threw an ammo box and surrounded the MCOM with smoke.  Defenders will have less visual of your team's position around the MCOM.  It's effective, but not all the time hehe!  Try out the smoke grenades, you might find it useful to your style. :)

And just like what mikeeegeee said, as an assault, basically you have the rifles for effective mid-range shooting of infantry so you're not just resupplying teammates.  I think the best way to be effective in killing enemies is to look for choke points in the map.  As an attacker, you can use those points to get in the maps and kill defenders at mid-range, that way, snipers won't easily spot you or kill you from afar.  As a defender, you can position at blind corners and wait for attackers trying to sneak in or run toward the MCOMs, then kill them as you see them. :)
    philuk19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By philuk19

The assult class is the only one I havent fully unlocked yet, and im still using my XM8 Prototype. For me its just not as fun as the other classes, but I do feel useful with the ammo packs and having the extra firepower with 40mm. Giving ammo is alot more useful than alot of people realise, I dont know how many times as a engie or a recon I have been out of ammo...despite calling for it to multiple assults they never seem to have a clue. But its growing on me as I work on unlocking the guns, picking up the M16 before Im really looking forward to getting it.

Alphonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Alphonzo

1. Charge 
    2. Kill 
    3. Teabag 
    4. Hate speech 
    5. Repeat

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By Seppli

I use smoke grenades and body armor recently. The tactical value of cleverly placed smokescreen is invaluable.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22  Edited By Seppli
    @Three0neFive said:
    " Assault turns this game into Call of Battlefield: 40mm Clusterfuck 2 "

WTF are you talking about? 40mm grenade spam isn't useful or effective. All it does is get you killed. There are lots of more effective ways to kill. 

Try the Carl Gustav Rocketlauncher for Nuub-Tubing. Then we're talking.
    Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Icil

If you see me throwing motion mines and you resupply, I will follow and protect you.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
    deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Assault class is the most straight forward to play as, the AN-94 with acog is the easiest gun to use in the game (for me). I tend to use the other classes though, there more interesting.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By xMP44x

The Assault is a general infantryman. This can be a great thing and it can also be a downfall to the Assault soldier. Assault soldiers are not really specialized, and all your kit revolves around killing others, so that is what you have to do with Assault. Here is a list of tips I personally follow when I'm playing as an Assault: 

Take it slow. Just because you're a general soldier, you still have to take it slow in Bad Company 2. Don't go rushing on in front of the rest of your team. It'll only get you killed.  

Know where a Medic is. This is also pretty damned important. If you're Assault you're more prone to being seriously injured than anyone else because you really do have to get stuck into the fight. So, if you kill someone and they seriously injured you, get to a Medic.    
    Drop ammo boxes. Many Assault players refuse to do this, for some reason. If you're low on ammo, or one of your team is low on ammo, drop them ammo. You'll get a decent reward of points for it, and not only that, you'll get ammo as well, because you can use your own box as well.  

Fire in bursts. Your assault rifle is going to be more accurate if you do this. So keep it to around four shot bursts, though if the other guy is trying to run you might need to get a little trigger happy. The only two guns you don't need to burst fire are the AN-94 Akaban, which fires two shot bursts, and the M16A2, which fires three shot bursts. 

Use the Grenade Launcher when it will be beneficial. Someone is running into a building. You've spotted them, and you know they're hiding behind a wall. What do you do? Use the grenade launcher, and you'll kill them if you hit the wall with it. Plus, if you arc the launcher properly you can get some seriously nice kills too. 

So there are some of my own personal tips. Hopefully they'll be of use to you as well.

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By floodiastus

Assault is a mini-engineer-ammo man. 

Either go with C4 for taking out tanks and buildings 
    Or be a frontman that uses his grenade launcher to create new tactics, like blowing holes in buildings for your team to slip through or just destroying cover. 

oh and spam ammo boxes. If using 40mms you can throw an ammo box up into the air infront of you and you will refill 1 40mm just if you keep running.

Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Novyx
    @floodiastus:

Nice. Never thought to try aerial resupply.

@xMP44x:

Very helpful tips, thanks. A lot of it was what I was already thinking, but because of a lack of practice, I wasn't sure I was doing it correctly. It's good to settle that.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Marz

spam smoke grenades in rush, it pisses off the snipers

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Donos

One thing to remember is that your grenade launcher can do noticable damage to tanks, and knock off their armor.. If you're in an urban area, try some hit and run with your grenade launcher to keep the tank busy while someone else lines up rockets/mortars/C4/repair drill/another tank. Assault is particuarly good for this because you can shoot, run behind a building, refill grenades, shoot, run, and keep that going as long as you have to.

Oh, and if your going to try and sneak into a base and murder people, assault is the way to go. Any other class will proably run out of ammo before doing much good.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Karl_Boss
    @Three0neFive: Not a lot of people spam the 40mm compared to MW2....it also seems to be less effective in this game....but still a good weapon.
    sho76und3wd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By sho76und3wd
    @lilbigsupermario said:
    " As a start, ALWAYS remember to give ammo boxes to your teammates.  A lot of players out there forget that playing the assault class does not just mean you run around killing infantry, you also need to give out ammo to your teammates especially engineers since they are usually the ones running out of rockets and rifle ammo (due to high fire rate of their guns). 
    THIS!  I hate seeing 4 or 5 assault classes running around and no ammo.  I hate to say it, but the assault class is more support than Medic is, but still fills a very important role. 
    JiuJitsuka85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JiuJitsuka85

Alot of Assault players forget how important the ammo is to other classes. Especially Medics ( who tend to stay alive longer ) and defending Engineers ( whom run out of rockets ).
    You should act as a ammo runner, and 40mm'ing buildings etc so the enemy has less spots to hide.

withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By withateethuh
    @Darkstar614 said:

" Be patient and aim in bursts. It might seem ridiculous to stop firing when you're in a shootout with someone, but you have to trust your gun. Be patient, hit the bursts, aim for the chest if you aren't confident, or aim for the head if you think you got a clean shot.  Or you can just camp on top of an ammo box and spam 40mm grenades... -_- "

Ammo boxes don't replenish 40 mm grenades.
    FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FirePrince
    @withateethuh:
    Yes they do.And they replenish smoke grenades too.
    Also,some tips:  
    Find your favorite weapon,the one that you think you like the most,not the best one. 
    Fire in short bursts,and retreat if you think you can't hit the guy. 
    Throw ammo boxes near snipers. 
    Stay near a good medic,and protect him,so that he can revive you. 
    VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By VanderSEXXX

Assault class is actually my favorite overall. Not sure why prbably cause it's got the coolest looking uniform among all classes. lol  
    Anyway normally I just equip the following in assault class: 
    M416 or AN94 Abakan - tracer gun - 40mm Grenade Launcher -  ACOG Scope - Magnum Ammo - Vehicle Warhead Upgrade  
    you can change  the M416 for a G3 or M14 so you can replace the GL with C4 if ever. :D 

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jmrwacko
    @Novyx said:

" Depending on how a match is going, and how classes are balanced among teams, I spend a fairly equal amount of time switching between Recon, Medic, and Engineer. Every time I try to play Assault, though, I end up doing terribly and feeling like nothing I have access to is at all useful. To those who do enjoy/are good with Assault, what is the draw for you, and what sort of loadouts do you prefer? "

Use an XM8 or M4 with 4x or red dot scope, then squeeze the trigger every shot for accurate bursts. With magnum ammo, you'll take down guys in 5 shots or so. Try to aim for the head at medium range. Also, the noob tube will be the source of a lot of your kills starting out, but when you start getting better with your main gun, look into possibly using smoke grenades. You can use them to provide your team with cover, and direct the enemy into chokepoints for easy kills.

@Dark_Jon said:

" Use the grenade launcher and the AN-94. M416 is alright too but AN-94 wins for long range too. "

AN-94's very powerful, but a little inaccurate. I'd actually recommend it for close combat.

Also, someone recommended to charge the enemy as assault. This may be good for planting charges, but it won't be good for your kill ratio or point total. Look up wingsofredemption on youtube, he's proof of the camping game's effectiveness.
    Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Novyx
    @jmrwacko:

Ah, thanks. Very helpful tips. I do like to stay mobile, but not really to charge. I guess I just need to suffer though the early levels to get some unlocks, in any case.

Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Novyx

Goddamn, guys. You're TOO helpful. Now I'm having trouble using anything EXCEPT Assault, and I've only unlocked the XM8 and smoke grenades. That with the lightweight kit makes for some pretty crazy flanking action.

superpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By superpope

Shoot. Dudes. Good.
    nismo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By nismo

Try   AN-94, X4 Scope, Magnum Rounds. I get a kill with two burst of two rounds with great accuracy!

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By xMP44x

I've tried using the Assault class more recently, and I recommend it. So, I guess I can give some more tips as well: 

Use all the guns you unlock. This is probably the easiest way to find the ones that suit you the most. I know the XM8 Prototype is one of the best guns in the game, but I cannot make it work for me. So I stopped using it to try out some other guns. I find the STG. 77 AUG is a very good automatic weapon that you unlock around mid-way through the class progression tree. But if you don't mind working on a little longer, the AN-94 Akaban is a great gun. I've been using it a lot since I unlocked it and it's extremely addictive. It fires two round bursts but you can fire it so fast that it's basically fully automatic. It's a good gun with Magnum Ammo. But if you prefer high rate of fire to high power, then you might want to try the F2000. That thing fires stupidly fast. 

Try non-conventional attachments. No really, try it. Just because you never see a gun with a certain attachment does not mean that it is a bad attachment. For example: have you ever seen an AEK-971 Vintovka with the 4x ACOG Scope? You should try things like that. For all you know, you could find a hidden gem of a gun that works really well for you.  

Try iron sights as well. Whenever I get a gun unlocked, I always try it without either sight on it. For all you know the iron sight is amazing, and if it turns out to be that way for you,  it will free up Specialization One for something else. Sights are good and all, but the irons on some guns mean you really don't need a Red Dot. I still use Red Dots and stuff as well, but it's worth trying without and seeing if it works. I made a quick little table for you. Maybe it'll be useful, and maybe it won't. One way to find out.

WeaponClass
     9A-91 AvtomatEngineer 
     AEK-971 Vintovka Assault
     AN-94 Akaban Assault
     MG3 Medic 
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By mikemcn

Don't be scared to shoot the 40mm, that should be considered your primary weapon.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By xMP44x
    @Mikemcn said:
    " Don't be scared to shoot the 40mm, that should be considered your primary weapon. "
    What? How on earth is the Grenade Launcher the primary weapon for the assault class? It's not amazing in this game. It's really only for blowing walls and stuff up IMO. But I'm assuming you're good with the Grenade Launcher, so whatever works for you, works for you. I might try and get better with the GL as well.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By mikemcn
    @xMP44x said:
    " @Mikemcn said:
    " Don't be scared to shoot the 40mm, that should be considered your primary weapon. "
    What? How on earth is the Grenade Launcher the primary weapon for the assault class? It's not amazing in this game. It's really only for blowing walls and stuff up IMO. But I'm assuming you're good with the Grenade Launcher, so whatever works for you, works for you. I might try and get better with the GL as well. "
    Im just saying that the rifles themselves all shoot like firehoses, at least when you pull the trigger with the 40mm you know where its going to hit, its a million times more efficient for kills.
    xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By xMP44x
    @Mikemcn said:
    " @xMP44x said: 
    Im just saying that the rifles themselves all shoot like firehoses, at least when you pull the trigger with the 40mm you know where its going to hit, its a million times more efficient for kills. "  

That is somewhat true. The rifles are a little inaccurate, or they feel it at least. But if you use one of the rifles that fires in bursts, such as the AN-94 Akaban or the M16A2, then they can be surprisingly accurate.
    Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Novyx
    @Mikemcn:
    @xMP44x:
    I don't know where you got the idea that the guns are inaccurate from, because if you feather the trigger, you can easily get kills at a couple hundred yard with ironsights. That's by far the least of my concerns, and most the rest of it is worked out at this point. Just need to work on more unlocks, now. And yes, the grenade is only useful for taking out cover. It's too inconsistent for groups, and a gamble for 1V1. I much prefer Smoke, now that I have it.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Pinworm45

Assault class is pointless IMO. Grenade Launcher is nothing compared to the RPG the engineer has, and ammo isn't as good a utility as being able to revive people, use motion mines, or even repair vehicles. Especially since there's usually assaults anyway (though some of them are stupid and won't give you ammo) 

But the guns just suck. They take so many bullets to kill people. The damn Engineer SMGs are better (even at long distance) and I never use magnum with engineer and always with assault, and the SMGs are still just way better. The same applies to the Medic (at least with the m60 and up guns). 

Also, recon is better for assault too. Take the VSS or M95 with Red Dot and charge areas with motion mines, you'll wipe out assaults who have to fire 45 bullets to your face to get anything. 

Just from my experience though

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SSully
    @Jiujitsuka said:
    " Alot of Assault players forget how important the ammo is to other classes. Especially Medics ( who tend to stay alive longer ) and defending Engineers ( whom run out of rockets ). You should act as a ammo runner, and 40mm'ing buildings etc so the enemy has less spots to hide. "
    This is the mindset i try to use when playing assault, provide my teammates with ammo and killing as many enemies as i can on my way to people who need ammo. I love how the assault class is underplayed, in most games everyone would be playing as assault, but with the way they worked the classes in BF assault is really an underdog.
    Tuggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#49  Edited By Tuggah

1. Find a gun you like (M416 for me, being saying the AN-94 are terrorists).
    2. Find a dude who is low on ammo.
    3. Throw ammo.
    4. Shoot dudes.
    5. Blow shit up.
    6. Repeat.

Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Novyx
    @Pinworm45:
    I'd actually recommend you take some tips from this thread, then. It's been helpful for me. Try smoke grenades. Only a bit of grinding to unlock if you don't already have them, and amazingly effective. You can cut off all visibility and let your team regroup if you're under sniper fire, or you can hit an Mcom so they can't get shot while arming as easily. Also, feather that trigger. The XM8 never takes more than 5 shots, no magnum ammo, if you're actually hitting. Don't count that, though. That's just an estimate. I've gotten three kills to a magazine, if nothing else.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.