Worth purchasing (Never played Battlefield before)

#1 Posted by coaxmetal (1619 posts) -

Yup, another "is it worth it" thread. But you gotta ask.  
 If I get it, it will be on the PC, as I own a total of 0 360's, and I have never played a Battlefield game before, though I have played plenty of shooters and am pretty decent at MW2 and such. Will I be totally lost for not having played battlefield games before, or will I be able to jump in and shoot guys, and also, how long is the singleplayer? 

#2 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

Very much worth it. You'll probably do fine, but practice makes perfect.

#3 Posted by Warfare (1634 posts) -

After a week  with Battlefield i think im ready to go back to MW2.

#4 Posted by Andorski (5310 posts) -

Watch this and you will be fine.

#5 Posted by benitobb (291 posts) -

I only have it on 360, but I never played a Battlefield game, or any modern military shooter, and i love this game. I love that the k/d isn't important, I get to the top 3 on my team every game by doing the dirty teamwork even though none of my friends play the game and I join random squads.  Honestly, I think this game has amazing multiplayer and absolutely worth it.
#6 Posted by Camurai (259 posts) -
@Andorski: 
I wish I could memorize this entire video and use it as a lecture for every squad I play with.
"I'm a sniper,  I'm a sniper, I'm a sniper!"
#7 Posted by coaxmetal (1619 posts) -

Alright, sounds good. I think I will end up getting it, see how I like it. That video certainly helps too. Thanks. 

Hopefully I won't suck too much.

#8 Posted by benitobb (291 posts) -

My girlfriends nephews play both BFBC2 and MW2 and they went back to MW2 because they didn't like the gameplay of BC2, then I checked their rankings and whatnot and their team score was way, way low in comparison to their kills and playtime. Anyone wanting team deathmatch and just wants to run and gun will definitely like MW2 more.
#9 Posted by benitobb (291 posts) -

My girlfriends nephews play both BFBC2 and MW2 and they went back to MW2 because they didn't like the gameplay of BC2, then I checked their rankings and whatnot and their team score was way, way low in comparison to their kills and playtime. Anyone wanting team deathmatch and just wants to run and gun will definitely like MW2 more.
#10 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2463 posts) -

It could do without the mass number of snipers, but its a great game. Destroys MW 2 imo.

#11 Edited by calidan777 (853 posts) -

I say no, I bought it having had very little experience with Battlefield games, because of all the hype and good reviews and was very disappointed. After having played Modern Warfare 2 for the last few months I was really hoping it was gonna be great and found that it was nowhere near as good as Modern Warfare 2. The graphics, framerate, controls, single player and multiplayer are all well below Modern Warfare's level. It's not a bad game, I was just hoping for more.

#12 Posted by coaxmetal (1619 posts) -

Hmm... well, haven't bought it yet. I think I'll wait. Other games on the way anyway, like Metro 2033

#13 Posted by Three0neFive (2293 posts) -
@calidan777 said:
" I say no, I bought it having had very little experience with Battlefield games, because of all the hype and good reviews and was very disappointed. After having played Modern Warfare 2 for the last few months I was really hoping it was gonna be great and found that it was nowhere near as good as Modern Warfare 2. The graphics, framerate, controls, single player and multiplayer are all well below Modern Warfare's level. It's not a bad game, I was just hoping for more. "
He's playing it on PC, so literally everything you listed is a non-issue.
#14 Edited by Talesavo (131 posts) -

BC2 was the best purchase I've made in awhile. If you want an arcade shooter, play MW, if you want an open-ended war game; play bc2.

#15 Posted by BizkitDough (4 posts) -

seriously has thee best multiplayer ive ever played ever. includes every cod and every battlefield. seriously.

#16 Posted by Jeffk38uk (715 posts) -

I have never played a Battlefield game before either so the game was at first daunting. The singleplayer is a good way to familiarise with how the game plays as its not spray and pray. Honestly, I didn't expect me to play the multiplayer all that much.  Now it's the dominant thing I do when I boot up the game. It's very addictive, especially when you play on a server with the right balance of players and classes. 

Compared to MW2, BC2 focus is more on teamwork and completing objectives rather than who has the highest kills. I've pretty much played as a medic, handing out medikits to who needs it and reviving ppl to keep the defence/offence up and you score well via that. MW2 is still enjoyable, but much more on a close-combat kill streak scale, given battlefield maps can be pretty large.

#17 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Just going to brief it up a bit.

Been playing Battlefield: Bad Company 2 straight for the few days after launch and before in the demo. Its a great game with very much different mechanics from MW2, but at the moment it lacks the variety of maps. This sorta makes things a bit stale. Though its an absolute blast to play with friends and working together as a squad.

#18 Edited by coaxmetal (1619 posts) -

So is the single-player any good? how long is it? 

I am leaning toward purchasing it at this point, though I am iffy on the whole "teamwork" thing (haven't played many shooters that encouraged/require squad-based teamwork and stuff) but  I think I could handle it.

#19 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

The multiplayer is easily worth $40 alone. The singleplayer is worth $25, maybe. PC version is $50 and has the most features making it the best value. But any way you slice it, this game is EASILY worth the $60 standard price of admission. The singleplayer isn't the fantastic feat like the multiplayer is, but it's just enough to make you not want to think twice about a purchase.

#20 Posted by dimdum (34 posts) -

BUY IT GODDAMIT BUY IT

#21 Edited by LocatedSafe (24 posts) -

It's a great game, I think that the PC version might be a little more conducive to actual team play as in my experiences PC gamers are more apt to use voice chat for things other than racial slurs and profanity.  The downside is that you get a lot more pirates and hackers on PC.

#22 Posted by Belonpopo (1823 posts) -

Yes.

#23 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

The multiplayer is fantastic. Especially with friends.

#24 Posted by Jeffk38uk (715 posts) -
@Riboflavin: It doesn't quite beat the campaign for MW2 which I thought was pretty good. But the Bad Company squad are pretty interesting and funny characters, and the plot is somewhat good. Most reviews put it at 6-8 hours which is pretty standard length. It's pretty clear tho that the focus was its multiplayer however.

As for the worry on teamwork, you would learn how to play eventually. You can play it lonewolf style, or follow your squad and help out whe necessary.

I suggest joining the Giant Bomb Squad clan so you can hook up with similar players that can show the ropes. I know the PC GBS clan has a ventrillo server and a game server loaned to the group to play on.
#25 Posted by coaxmetal (1619 posts) -

Well, purchased. Going to play through the singleplayer first, get used to it. Perhaps I will join this clan type dealy giantbomb has going on in the multiplayer.

#26 Posted by gla55jAw (2689 posts) -

Single Player is fun, I'm not into the multiplayer though, would rather play Modern Warfare 2.

#27 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

This is a great entry in the series to get started, it's a lot tighter and smaller than a typical BF game, so it'S less intimidating, also yeah BF games always have lasting value. Been playing BF2 for like 5 years now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.