Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

Your thoughts on Bad Company 2

rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By rmills87

I'm kind of on the fence with purchasing this game on Steam.  It was on sale for 33% off its normal price ($49.99) a few weeks ago, and I didn't bite.  Now I am interested and don't know if it is really worth the $50 price tag.  I put this in the wonderful, caring hands of the GiantBomb community. 

Did you like it?  If so, what did you like about it? Do the guns feel better than Modern Warfare? How is the multiplayer?  Basically, is it worth me buying it NOW, or waiting until there is another sale?    

KimChi4U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By KimChi4U

Although I play it on the 360, I'll give you my take on the game: 

Pros: 
    - There are so many things to do in this game other than just shoot people. Driving tanks, flying helicopters, reviving fallen comrades, dropping ammo/health kits, spotting enemies, and of course, shooting dudes. 
    - It's a little bit of a slower paced game. Meaning it's less twitch based and more focused on squad tactics and strategy 
    - It's not realistic, but I feel it's a little more realistic than MW2. Arcade-like can be fun too, but I love those moments of finding the right trajectory to fire my RPG at helicopter and watching it explode. In words, bullets and rockets have a weight to them and take time to reach their targets. You also don't get killed from across the map by someone blindly throwing a grenade.

Cons: 
    - The maps are larger than the average MW2 map, meaning more time running. This is usually taken care of because you can spawn on a sqaud member who is still alive and thus cut out a lot of the running. I don't know what it's like on the PC, but on the 360, you're running anyways because a lot of people hang back and snipe. 
    - Some people (at least on the 360) play this game like it is MW2. Meaning someone won't disarm the bomb on the point you're supposed to protect because they're too busy staring down the scope of a sniper rifle. 
    - Although they keep adding maps to the 2 different modes in the game, the maps don't see too much variety and, from my own personal experience, some maps seem to be put into rotation more often than others. Seems every 3rd game, I'm playing Nelson Bay when I'm playing rush. 

Overall, I like this game. I spend a lot more time with it than MW2 but I like both games a lot. They're hard to compare because they are such differnet games.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's a good game but not as good as bf2 heli's are weak tanks are ok, sniping is fun, good graphics destruction 2.0 makes the game more fun in some ways.There's alot of server lag i notice sometimes.Theres alot cool weapons and upgrades.I been playing it since release day on the PC i been playing with my clan which always makes its more enjoyable.Its definitely better imo then COD.More teamwork you have squads you can spawn on your squad mates.I think its worth the price just make sure you can run it.

rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By rmills87
    @KimChi4U: Thank you very much for that analysis - it definitely more aware of what I want and I think you have me sold.  Thanks so much for the reply!
    rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By rmills87
    @JEC03: That sounds great - I will definitely grab it up then...oh and I'm not worried about running it... 

ASUS P6T X58 
    Intel Core i7 930 @ 2.8GHz 
    6GB OCZ Ultra Triple Channel RAM PC10666, 1333MHZ 
    nVidia EVGA GeForce GTX 480 
    Master Cooler HAF 932 Full Tower Case 

Thanks for the heads up though!
    Layk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Layk
    @JEC03 said:
    " It's a good game but not as good as bf2 heli's are weak tanks are ok, sniping is fun, good graphics destruction 2.0 makes the game more fun in some ways.There's alot of server lag i notice sometimes.Theres alot cool weapons and upgrades.I been playing it since release day on the PC i been playing with my clan which always makes its more enjoyable.Its definitely better imo then COD.More teamwork you have squads you can spawn on your squad mates.I think its worth the price just make sure you can run it. "
    Ive been play on the 360 and noticed no lag what so ever. In fact i think this may just be the most lag free game i have ever played. 
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By pweidman
    @Layk said:
    " @JEC03 said:
    " It's a good game but not as good as bf2 heli's are weak tanks are ok, sniping is fun, good graphics destruction 2.0 makes the game more fun in some ways.There's alot of server lag i notice sometimes.Theres alot cool weapons and upgrades.I been playing it since release day on the PC i been playing with my clan which always makes its more enjoyable.Its definitely better imo then COD.More teamwork you have squads you can spawn on your squad mates.I think its worth the price just make sure you can run it. "
    Ive been play on the 360 and noticed no lag what so ever. In fact i think this may just be the most lag free game i have ever played.  "

That's because of the recent patch that cleaned things up pretty well.  It was a lagfest of the highest proportions for a month and a half before that.  Unfortunately the long delayed fix for the lag drove many players away, and now it's hard for me to get a familiar squad.  To the topic: BBC2's mp is the best going imo.  It's so much more interesting and strategic than MW2, and much more dynamic.  You will see something crazy almost every match.  Playing in a squad of guys you know and who talk is key though, as most players still playing are pretty much ranked 30+.
    rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rmills87

Oh great...So I'm guessing I will be annihilated during every match?  I mean I'm not bad at FPS, but then again, I'm not that great.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Do it.

Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lilbigsupermario

It's a must buy, sale or no sale.  But it is in a much slower pace than the Call of Duty games mostly due to the fact that Bad Company 2 focuses more on team work, tactics, and actually inching your way through to get into the enemy's base.  And there will always be frantic moments where it feels like everything around you is blowing up and you tend to panic and run or shoot whatever you see around you hehe!  It's a really fun game with tons of random moments (like getting killed by a helicopter crash or getting run down by a quad bike or suddenly, your cover blows up while you're hiding, etc.).  With all the action plus the destruction 2.0 happening around you, it's a real warzone hehe! 

However, the cons are also true like there are too many snipers in the game to the point that if you're the attacking team, you won't win coz your teammates are just busy racking up their kill/death ratio even if the goal of the match is to infiltrate the base and destroy the MCOM.  And there are also some players who are just really stupid enough not to even give you ammo or med kits even if you can already see the icons of each player who needs ammo or health packs.  But these are problems with the players, not the game, since the game actually rewards you fairly for being a team player, and these stuff doesn't really happen all the time, just some several unlucky moments hehe!

rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By rmills87

Well this game sounds great in a multiplayer sense and thank you all for replying.  NOW what about the campaign?  Solid gameplay?  The guns and the movement of your person are what I'm really pleased with so far.  Like the gun that I think is your default and primary battle rifle sounds BAD FUCKING ASS.  If you are all saying that the campaign is awesome too, I'm buying this shit tonight.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Icil

The only FPS I ever need, personally. The destructive environments are what sold me. That and the atmosphere (smoke, long distances, lots of cover, etc) make this one of my favs (I own it on 360).

PDC_Emulator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PDC_Emulator
    @rmillz87 said:
    " Well this game sounds great in a multiplayer sense and thank you all for replying.  NOW what about the campaign?  Solid gameplay?  The guns and the movement of your person are what I'm really pleased with so far.  Like the gun that I think is your default and primary battle rifle sounds BAD FUCKING ASS.  If you are all saying that the campaign is awesome too, I'm buying this shit tonight. "
    I haven't even touched the campaign to be honest with you, and I have put in about 80 hours or so.
    illmatic19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By illmatic19

No Caption Provided
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lilbigsupermario
    @rmillz87: Yeah, I forgot to mention the sound.  It's damn awesome!  One of the best games out there to utilize great sounds in a game.  As for the campaign, it's not really special.  It's fun at times, but it's not memorable.  You'll really just play Bad Company 2 for the multiplayer.  But if you have spare time and just play around with Bad Company 2, the campaign can give you like 6 to 8 hours worth of gameplay.  Just don't expect the story to be something special, but the action is there hehe!  I played the campaign once, and for the rest of the 100 hours or more of play time, it's all multiplayer.
    rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By rmills87

Well the game is sounding more and more like a multiplayer-focused game and I'm not sure if I should sink my teeth into it just yet.  I have another thread right now in PC asking about third-person shooters and I know for sure I'm downloading Just Cause 2 tonight and I don't mind paying full price.  @lilbigsupermario - I'm thinking if the single player campaign isn't worth a whole lot, I can wait for a sale.  I still have to finish a few games anyway.   

TO ALL - THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR ADVICE - LONG LIVE GIANTBOMB! 
    God, I love everyone here...everyone is always friendly and the people who run this site caused me to drop Catholicism and worship them instead.

lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lilbigsupermario
    @rmillz87: If you're looking at Bad Company 2 for it's single-player component, wait for the sale, or rather, even skip buying it coz there are a lot of games out there that have superior single-player gameplay and story.  But if you know you'll be spending more time on the multiplayer for Bad Company 2, it's a must-buy. 

Just Cause 2 is awesome also, I'm still playing it on the PS3.  The story is stupid and the voice acting is atrocious, but it was meant to be that way.  It's bad to a point that it's funny.  It's a game trying to be a B-movie with bad actors and tons of explosions lol!  But the action and the messing around are a lot of fun hehehe!
    mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mikeeegeee

Best multiplayer experience I've had since Counterstrike... and it's better than Counterstrike. Can't wait to play it on PC.

lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lilbigsupermario

I've read your other post for the PC people, and yes, there are also some issues with Bad Company 2 like sometimes spraying all your bullets on an enemy won't get him killed (or maybe just bad aim) or knifing someone on the back doesn't work several times, no game is perfect. 

I'm not a picky gamer, if I see a couple of glitches, I don't mind it that much.  Even when Bad Company 2 had so much lag issues (but it's fixed now), I still played it.  As long as it's not a glitch that will make the game completely unplayable, that's the only time I'll stop playing it.  The last battlefield game I played was Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield Vietnam, so I'm not really a Battlefield fanboy but I still enjoy the game.  And in my opinion, I do find Bad Company 2 to be lots of fun, especially if I play it with some friends.  Coz sometimes, it becomes an issue when you play random people and you get into a squad that have useless squadmates, but you can always change squads anyway hehe!

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Ryax

easily my favorite shooter. get it

Vitamin_Dei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Vitamin_Dei

BFBC2 is a really great game, a really rewarding game, and occasionally a really frustrating game. As long as you're up for dealing with some frustrations and climbing the learning curve, the game is one of the most satisfying team-based shooter experiences I've had in a long time. I don't think you'll regret your purchase.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.