Battlefield: Bad Company Will be a TV Series, Maybe

• 100 results
Posted by Alex (2215 posts) -
Like this, but with more fart jokes, and Rob Schneider. Probably.

Bucking the trend of developing film adaptations of video games that will likely never come to fruition, EA has decided to partner with Fox and production company Happy Madison to develop a TV adaptation of a video game that will likely never come to fruition. In this case, it's the publisher's Battlefield: Bad Company franchise that's getting the live action treatment, albeit with sights set on the small screen.

Based on the description from Deadline's story on the subject, the series is being envisioned as a sort of modern A-Team, with a quartet of soldiers moving to the private sector, only to find themselves betrayed by their former commanding officer. Given the game's propensity for humorous explosions and off-color banter, one can surmise that this will not be played particularly straight.

Writer/producer John Eisendrath (Alias, Felicity) is heading up the project, along with Happy Madison's Doug Robinson, who has most recently served as executive producer of the enduring, if generally execrable David Spade sitcom Rules of Engagement.

Considering that most video game development deals like this have a tendency to fall apart, one cannot get too excited at this prospect--assuming one could get excited about a TV series based on an offshoot first-person shooter franchise developed by Adam Sandler's production company in the first place.

Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (2215 posts) -
Like this, but with more fart jokes, and Rob Schneider. Probably.

Bucking the trend of developing film adaptations of video games that will likely never come to fruition, EA has decided to partner with Fox and production company Happy Madison to develop a TV adaptation of a video game that will likely never come to fruition. In this case, it's the publisher's Battlefield: Bad Company franchise that's getting the live action treatment, albeit with sights set on the small screen.

Based on the description from Deadline's story on the subject, the series is being envisioned as a sort of modern A-Team, with a quartet of soldiers moving to the private sector, only to find themselves betrayed by their former commanding officer. Given the game's propensity for humorous explosions and off-color banter, one can surmise that this will not be played particularly straight.

Writer/producer John Eisendrath (Alias, Felicity) is heading up the project, along with Happy Madison's Doug Robinson, who has most recently served as executive producer of the enduring, if generally execrable David Spade sitcom Rules of Engagement.

Considering that most video game development deals like this have a tendency to fall apart, one cannot get too excited at this prospect--assuming one could get excited about a TV series based on an offshoot first-person shooter franchise developed by Adam Sandler's production company in the first place.

Staff
#2 Posted by jakkblades (404 posts) -

Awesome

#3 Posted by porr (178 posts) -

#4 Posted by brownsfantb (393 posts) -

This will probably happen because people will probably watch it, even though it'll be terrible.

#5 Posted by JordanaRama (196 posts) -

I adore those games, particularly because of the characters and direction it took. I don't want to be cynical but I can't imagine this show will capture that nearly as well, if at all.

#6 Posted by JohnLocke (257 posts) -

I could see this working if the humour style from the first Bad Company game is used.

#7 Posted by Nonentity (236 posts) -

This is one of those situations where I'd love to be wrong about it, but... I probably won't be.

#8 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

This won't make the light of day, hopefully.

#9 Posted by Itwastuesday (967 posts) -

YEEEEAAAAHHHHH

#10 Posted by iAmJohn (6121 posts) -
Battlefield Bad Company will be a TV series.

Yay!

Happy Madison... Rules of Engagement.

NO NO NO NO NO!!!

#11 Posted by 49th (2765 posts) -

2/10 will not watch dumb idea

#12 Posted by UricTheOddball (78 posts) -

I want to be excited about this, but I agree that this will have a very hard time getting on the air.

#13 Posted by Ronald (1370 posts) -

If the television show doesn't have Truckasaurus Rex in it why bother?

#14 Posted by BaneFireLord (2941 posts) -

This doesn't sound terrible.

#15 Edited by Vlad_Tiberius (204 posts) -

Hopefully no lens flare effects and the actors won't get shot as soon as they enter the stage

#16 Edited by bybeach (4847 posts) -

Feeling my age.....finally. Thank Gosh nothing did that to me till I read this.

I actually had a so-so time with Bad Company, though I acknowledge it was meant more or least as much for players like me. Haven't even tried their last effort beyond a 1/2 hour, for cheap om steam.

#17 Posted by SuperJoe (882 posts) -

starring Rob Schneider, Jon Lovitz, Dana Carvey, and Tim Meadows.

#18 Posted by Hurricrane (129 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

Yay!

NO NO NO NO NO!!!

This. Exactly.

#19 Posted by Morden2261 (277 posts) -

Yes, because if there's one thing this world needs, it's more "entertainment" shat out by Adam Sandler's production house...

#20 Posted by Pie (7103 posts) -
#21 Posted by drowsap (682 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

Yay!

NO NO NO NO NO!!!

This right here lool

#22 Posted by Winternet (8021 posts) -

If it is a non-nonsensical comedy tv series I am all for it. Especially if it's dumb as hell.

#23 Posted by thatdutchguy (1273 posts) -

Just get Firefly back on the air ffs.

#24 Posted by betterboulder (190 posts) -

PLZ NOE!

#25 Posted by Inublade (6 posts) -

Looks like EA is trying to find something else to do after their complete failure at video games.

#26 Posted by big_jon (5734 posts) -

Are you fucking kidding me? Hey EA why not fuck off with this, scrap BF4 and make BC3 instead, fucking dumb asses.

#27 Posted by CornBREDX (5379 posts) -

I am ok with it in theory but I probably wouldn't watch it. It'd probably work better as a dark comedy on a subscription cable channel imo more in tune with how the games story is. 

But once again Hollywood lacks any vision.

#28 Posted by MachoFantastico (4719 posts) -

*smashes head against wall*

#29 Posted by Giantstalker (1660 posts) -

This combination could enter so-bad-it's-good territory, but honestly, I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

Hopefully it doesn't have the Battlefield name anywhere in the title if it actually gets made, so the main series can continue with an unsullied name.

#30 Posted by MeatSim (10871 posts) -

I like the banter in the Bad Company games and I like the concept of a modern day A-Team but I have no faith in Happy Madison and we all know these sort of things almost never go well.

#31 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5020 posts) -

This is not gonna happen, right?

Right?

#32 Posted by Animasta (14699 posts) -

bad company is one game that would work pretty well in this format. we'll see if it happens or is any good but sure

#33 Posted by Mendelson9 (402 posts) -

This could be cool but once I read that Happy Madison is involved...disgusting. Have they produced anything that was good? This is the company that gave the world Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo and Jack & Jill. Think about that.

#34 Posted by DavoTron (151 posts) -

what an earth is this, backwards day or some shit?

#35 Posted by onan (1286 posts) -

...Why don't they just put out an updated version of the A-Team and call it a day? They're paying for a license no one still watching television cares about.

#36 Posted by Guyzea (816 posts) -
#37 Posted by Hyperfludd (373 posts) -

The idea in general sounds great, but uh..

#38 Posted by jillsandwich (762 posts) -

Am I crazy in believing this might actually be awesome?

#39 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4370 posts) -

Please no.

#40 Edited by VibratingDonkey (880 posts) -

Well I don't see how this could be good. It could, but...

@jillsandwich said:

Am I crazy in believing this might actually be awesome?

It might. But it's just wishful thinking. If "done right", anything would be fantastic.

What they should do is take Battlefield's campaign, rip it out, and shove Bad Company in there instead. The design and personality, the not being a forgettable dullard campaign, the SP design attempting to be representative of what Battlefield is about, the having an identity.

Keep the scripted serious business stuff to Medal of Honor.

#41 Posted by Set (151 posts) -

i support this

#42 Posted by Etnos (245 posts) -

yay?

if the writing is good, why not?

#43 Posted by Sil3n7 (1189 posts) -

Timely.

#44 Posted by Korolev (1709 posts) -

Happy Madison? Now where have I heard that name before....

Oh no.

OH GOD NO.

#45 Posted by DarkShaper (1338 posts) -

I'll admit that I had to look up what execrable meant, but I agree with the statement entirely.

#46 Posted by GreyFoxV1 (66 posts) -

My money is on it being cancelled if it does air. FOX is extremely frugal when it comes to 1 hour time slots and show budgets so unless this show explodes I'm betting it will be cancelled within a season due to the budget or show length. EA should have put this on HBO.

#47 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I vote they skip this and instead work on Battlefield Bad Company 3.

#48 Edited by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

I would love to see this come to be. The BC characters were my favourite part of that game. I'm sure it will have nothing to do with the guys form the game however other then the name on the logo.

#49 Posted by GunsAreDrawn (321 posts) -

Nice job attaching an image to your article that ISN'T from the final game.

#50 Posted by AuthenticM (3738 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

Yay!

NO NO NO NO NO!!!

Pretty much this. Had this been an HBO or Showtime joint, with actual talent pushing it forward, I would have been very excited at this prospect. Alas, it is not to be.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.