Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jun 23, 2008

The venerable Battlefield franchise returns for its second console-only outing, this time with a fleshed out single player campaign and a new multiplayer game mode, Gold Rush.

Destructibility for better or for worse?

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By Davvyk

After playing Battlefield bad company for a extended amount of time and playing pretty much all previous titles do people think the destruction element in bad company hinders the gameplay in any way?

Personally i thought it would be a total disaster before i gave the game serious time but have now found it really odd going back to battlefield 2 and being unable to flatten the landscape into somthing resembling fallout.

What do you guys/girls think? Whats the element of destructibility brought to battlefield for you?

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Lashe

I really think it was innovative, and something that should be considered a standard in most FPS now. I really think it will be wieird playing COD5 without any destruction; COD4 I can forgive as it was released before Battlefield:BC, but I feel it should be implimented a lot further now that it has been shown to be possible.

If anything, the destruction added to it in BC, however I felt it didn't change the focus of the game, it was still 'Kill these guys however you can' or 'get to co-ordinate B', it never felt like a game where the focus was 'Blow everything/everyone up til you get here and then blow up more!', it just genuinely felt like a refreshing mechanic that helped, and didn't hinder, the gameplay.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Player1

I agree with Lashe...games will be expected to follow suit and make the trees able to fall down, and I hope in cod5 when I use my noob tube that the side of a wall will blow up...

the only problem I see is that cod's maps arent as huge as bad companys. So I could see a problem where in say a small map the entire thing being absolutly destroyed nearing the end of the game, allowing no cover left....but hey is that such a bad thing?

VipeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By VipeR

I wanna se some terrain deformation, Something in the lines of fracture, but not being a game mechanic. Like Red faction but better.

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By bwooduhs

I loved it. It just gave me something extra to do. Hopefully this wil make other games feature it.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Player1
    VipeR said:
    "I wanna se some terrain deformation, Something in the lines of fracture, but not being a game mechanic. Like Red faction but better.
    "

So your saying that youd like the cod5 maps to look less perfect? To have them look like they have less ware and tear. I agree. The cod4 maps looks almost perfect, with very little ware,or bullet holes, or anything
    Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lashe

Yeah. I can see what you mean, but I just have a feeling there needs to be a level of interaction. Its all well that some games have terrain which is pre-destroyed but I'm not sure that that will cut it now after playing Bad Company.

i'm not sure. I mean, COD5 uses the COD4 engine so there will be no interactivity or destruction there.. I'm just not sure how that will feel. Maybe dated is the word?

pandemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By pandemic
    Lashe said:
    "I really think it was innovative, and something that should be considered a standard in most FPS now."
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that.  The technology is there, so why are they not going all out?  It just seems like common sense to me that truly destructible environments can make a good game into a great game.

Seriously, it just looks weird when a grenade blows up just an inch or two from some building and there is zero damage.
    Caje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Caje

I definately liked being able to make your own path through buildings and such, but it is pretty frustrating having so little cover.

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Davvyk

the only problem I see is that cod's maps arent as huge as bad companys. So I could see a problem where in say a small map the entire thing being absolutly destroyed nearing the end of the game, allowing no cover left....but hey is that such a bad thing?"
    I couldnt agree more i can envisage problems with small maps. Tight arena style gameplay wont lend well to destruction. Good control over who has the abilty to actually cause terrain deformation is the key. i.e only certain classes having the weaponry to achieve this.

I do feel however its the next big thing. I saw a video of the new red faction not long ago and the destruction was amazing. Buildings slowly collapsing under there own weight after critical damage etc. was pretty amazing. I am pretty sure however that game wont be much more than a destruction tech demo the key to battlefield is its gameplay the destruction mearly augments this.
    dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By dagas

The more the better, few things blows away the suspension of disbelief as when your tank crash into a wooden fence or when you shoot a rocket at a wooden door and nothing happens.

Vlademir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vlademir

I don't think bad company has the traditional Battlefield feel to it. It may be because of destructibility but either way, it feels weird.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

From what i played of Bad company *the demo* destructable enviorments ruined the gameplay, especially when the enemy would rush forward with all the vehicles and park em ontop of the gold crates and just blow out the walls and have them destroyed about 50 seconds into the game, Not sure how the full game is i've heard its been tweaked so that stuff doesn't happen but i've yet to see it.

Destructable enviorments like any game element if used right can be amazing...

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Davvyk
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "From what i played of Bad company *the demo* destructable enviorments ruined the gameplay, especially when the enemy would rush forward with all the vehicles and park em ontop of the gold crates and just blow out the walls and have them destroyed about 50 seconds into the game, Not sure how the full game is i've heard its been tweaked so that stuff doesn't happen but i've yet to see it.

"
    For some reason i got this same impression from the demo however as im a battlefield fan i still pushed on to purchase the full version. Once playing the full version i have not seen as much of this so id assume some tweaks were made
    sionweeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sionweeks

I loved it. Blowing up walls to flank enemies was very exciting.  Although, not everything was fully destructable, but it was a lot better than Black.

claysol13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By claysol13

It certainly was a great thing, and in all honesty when Red Faction came out, I believed that they were going to set the tone for destructible environments.  Then they came out with Red Faction 2 and that blew dick.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b4a512bb9699
    deactivated-5b4a512bb9699

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's cool but the novelty wears off very quickly

ZeroGravX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ZeroGravX

Pro: Awesome feeling blowing up walls and being able to basically go through the buildings rather than around.

Con: Enemy can blow up the wall you are hiding behind!

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Player1
    Caje said:
    "I definately liked being able to make your own path through buildings and such, but it is pretty frustrating having so little cover.
    "
    Ya its really frustrating being new to the game, when you think you have cover, not realizing that a tank just blew up the building you were in. Its a double edged sword, in one its realistic and cool, but alot of people dont like it. Im ok with cod5 not doing it for now, but i expect the 6th one to do it.
    piecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By piecat

I love the destructible environments, and I think they only add to the gameplay.

MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By MichaelBach
    Davvyk said:
    "After playing Battlefield bad company for a extended amount of time and playing pretty much all previous titles do people think the destruction element in bad company hinders the gameplay in any way?

Personally i thought it would be a total disaster before i gave the game serious time but have now found it really odd going back to battlefield 2 and being unable to flatten the landscape into somthing resembling fallout.

What do you guys/girls think? Whats the element of destructibility brought to battlefield for you?
    "
    I second that. I actually found that it gave a new dimension to tactics.
    comp13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By comp13

Although the game doesn’t feature true destructibility (like in Red Faction) it more than works for Battlefield.

Xero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Xero

i think it's great at least in BF:BC's case, it gaves the player more option on how to play the game.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By Seppli

/signed

Destructibilty is a big addition to the 'Battlefield' feel and gameplay. I wouldn't want to miss it for the world! And yes, I will never go back to 'less destructibilty'! Now, I want 'more' and especially 'dynamic realtime' destructibilty. Next game, on my list of games with physics/destructibilty improved environments, is 'Star Wars : The Force Unleashed'. Can't wait to see, how that turns out!

Metal Simulation! Wood Simulation! More Material Simulation! Huuuuiiii! Evolutionary!

P.S. Farcry 2 is the next game I intend to play on launch day. Fire Simulation! Yeeee!

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Rowr

With out the destructibility, im afraid its just another sub par shooter.
    Destructibity entirely makes this game.

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By DARKIDO07
    Davvyk said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:
    "From what i played of Bad company *the demo* destructable enviorments ruined the gameplay, especially when the enemy would rush forward with all the vehicles and park em ontop of the gold crates and just blow out the walls and have them destroyed about 50 seconds into the game, Not sure how the full game is i've heard its been tweaked so that stuff doesn't happen but i've yet to see it.

"
    For some reason i got this same impression from the demo however as im a battlefield fan i still pushed on to purchase the full version. Once playing the full version i have not seen as much of this so id assume some tweaks were made
    "
    Well it was less laggy so it didn't take five rockets to blow up a tank anymore. One thing that Bad Company does well online is making you feel as if you were in an actual war, even though the game for the most part is unrealistic, when a wall blows up next to you and you go into shell shock, its amazing.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By pause422

I like that it changed things up from being just another battlefield console game,sure it might not be as deep as battlefield 2,but it made the games combat seem like it had more to offer. In terms of people saying "innovative" though,definitely not. Red Faction started this years ago, with more destruction possible.

I think a good amount of FPS's as the years go on though will have almost full destruction as a standard as time moves on though.

G0rd0nFr33m4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 18

#29  Edited By G0rd0nFr33m4n

I think its an awesome aspect of this game, and would like to see it in more games. But I would like to see it controlled more. IE only some classes have the ability to blow up types of walls. So for example C4 can blow through anything, whereas the mounted grenade launcher can only go through loose brick or dry-wall walls.  That way you dont have every Tom, Dick, and Harry busting through walls, leaving no room for cover. I do enjoy it in BF:BC however.

Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Homer

I thought that the destruction was awesome

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.