Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jun 23, 2008

The venerable Battlefield franchise returns for its second console-only outing, this time with a fleshed out single player campaign and a new multiplayer game mode, Gold Rush.

Dynamic In-Game BF Ads: It's Official

BennytheDroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BennytheDroid

This has probably been going on for a while, but tonight (Sept 1st) at roughly 11:30 PM, my friends and I noticed our first in game ad in BF's multiplayer.   A billboard for the new Pacino/DeNiro flick.  Goes to show how much I care about the actual movie, I can't even remember the name of it.  I do remember it comes out the 12th of this month, but what caught my attention much more that any specific movie was this strange intrusion; I play games and don't watch TV for the express purpose of not having to watch advertisements.  It was weird as hell; blowing up this drab, war torn town and spotting a billboard next to a building with the faces of two of America's most famous actors plastered on it.  Granted, it looked like EA is making some efforts to make this stuff "fit in;"  the billboard had a tattered and somewhat dull look to it, no doubt to more or less fit in with the surrounding landscape.  I suppose as long as we don't get anymore super shiny AXE ads a-la Rainbow Six: Vegas we can consider ourselves lucky.

Thankfully online shooters are shallow experiences to begin with; ads like these aren't interuptting any kind of emotional experience or attachment to the game aside from the "that son of a bitch in the helicopter needs to die" emotion that I feel in just about every BF match.  I would like to give game publishers the benefit of the doubt and hope that such ads remain "tasteful," if that 's even the right word, but I suppose this could be the camels nose in the tent that leads to much worse.  For my money, as long as my gaming experiences are never directly interuptted in the form of commercial breaks or movie previews I don't think it will bother me too much.  But it's crucial that publishers remember the importance of context as well.  Things like modern movie ads would simply destroy the atmosphere of the post-apocolyptic streets of Fallout 3.  But if Bethesda wants to start selling actual Nuka-Cola at my local Costco, I will be more than happy to oblige. 

What do you guys think of all of this?  Have any of you noticed this and has it been going on for a long time in BF specifically?  Popping up in any other games?  

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I know this sort of thing has been happening in Guitar Hero III as well.  Tropic Thunder was the most recent adver, if I remember correctly.

Legendtaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Legendtaker117

Before the Deniro Pachino(Rightous Kill) movie ads, they Tropic Thunder ads were every where. Sadly I enjoyed those more than the new ones.

DorianBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By DorianBlack

At least in this game all the DLC has been free so far, so the ads don't bother me too much. But Rainbow Six Vegas had ads all the time and we still had to pay for all the maps. And honestly with all the advertising that goes on the Xbox Dashboard I don't see why Xbox Live costs money.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Jayge_

I don't care about ingame ads, as long as things get reduced or free.

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lamegame621

It actually took me a while to find the most recent ad (for Robot Chicken). I guess it doesnt seem to bother my gameplay experience too much.

shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By shotaro

As has been said in game advertising to subsidize the cost of DLC can only be a good thing as long as its inobtrusive.

MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MisterSpiffy

In my opinion, the fact that they're trying to make the thing fit in (as well as discounted or free content) is worth something.

Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Major

I see a ton of Burger King ads in Burnout. Doesn't really bother me... not sure if that's because I see those ads everywhere I go in the real world and I'm just used to it or if it's 'cause I'm driving by them so fast I don't have time to think about them.
    As long as these ads pay for big content updates (i.e. Burnout Bikes) then I am fine with them. The "pay for 3 maps that are just reworked single player maps every 5 months" is a already tired business model for DLC.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jakob187

I remember when everyone bitched non-stop about this (achievements sponsored by Progressive in NFS Pro Street, as well as BK and others in Fight Night 3 came to mind).  Now, people are willing to accept it more.  Very interesting.

I liked the Tropic Thunder ads.  It just made me sad that I couldn't splinter the billboard with a noob tube and have a shard of Robert Downey Jr. fly into someone's eye and make them go blind...or kill them.  lol
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

um rainbow six vegas one has had dynamic ad's for a while...

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187

Haven't played much of Vegas at all.  I did like what I played of it, though.  = D  Should probably pick that one up eventually.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By weltal

I'm kind of disgusted by this type of thing. I mean, when a game gets released for free through Ad-supported means then I'm fine. However, if I payed 60 dollars for your god damn game then why am I staring at movie posters and ads for random shit in my game? Fuck that.

Riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Riddler

if its well placed in the game, like in natural spots where ads would be in real life (billboards, soda machines etc.) im ok with it

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.