Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield Heroes

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Jun 25, 2009

Battlefield Heroes is EA DICE's casual take on the Battlefield series. It features a cartoon-like graphical style and is played from a third person perspective. It is also a "Play 4 Free" game.

Battlefield Heros: Thoughts

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By cloneslayer

So I just played the beta for the first time and I'm going to run it down in an easy pro/con list.

Pros:
    Its Free.
    The style looks cool and wacky.
    Free.
    The customization looks deep enough.
    Costs no money.
    Shooting is alright.
    Did I say free?

Cons:
    Third Person? Why?
    Shooting is just alright.
    Not being able to switch classes on the fly in a class based game.
    Somethings aren't free.
    Cartoony instillation in a realistic franchise.

So basically i think this game is fine, mainly because I don't have to pay for it. But on the other hand it makes no since to me. Mainly the fact it exists. Is this really going to satisfy Battlefield fans who enjoy the realism that was Battlefield's selling point. And how can you have a class based game where you cant change classes mid game to adjust to what may be lacking or overabundant? I just find the game painfully average and though its free I expected more out of a battlefield game. Also, Battlefield... third person?

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By cloneslayer

So I just played the beta for the first time and I'm going to run it down in an easy pro/con list.

Pros:
    Its Free.
    Free.
    Costs no money.
    Shooting is alright.
    Did I say free?

Cons:
    Third Person? Why?
    Shooting is just alright.
    Somethings aren't free.
    Cartoony instillation in a realistic franchise.

So basically i think this game is fine, mainly because I don't have to pay for it. But on the other hand it makes no since to me. Mainly the fact it exists. Is this really going to satisfy Battlefield fans who enjoy the realism that was Battlefield's selling point. And how can you have a class based game where you cant change classes mid game to adjust to what may be lacking or overabundant? I just find the game painfully average and though its free I expected more out of a battlefield game. Also, Battlefield... third person?

Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Gmanall
    Cloneslayer said:
    "So I just played the beta for the first time and I'm going to run it down in an easy pro/con list.

Pros:
    Its Free.
    Free.
    Costs no money.
    Shooting is alright.
    Did I say free?

Cons:
    Third Person? Why?
    Shooting is just alright.Not being able to switch classes on the fly in a class based game.Somethings aren't free. Cartoony instillation in a realistic franchise.So basically i think this game is fine, mainly because I don't have to pay for it. But on the other hand it makes no since to me. Mainly the fact it exists. Is this really going to satisfy Battlefield fans who enjoy the realism that was Battlefield's selling point. And how can you have a class based game where you cant change classes mid game to adjust to what may be lacking or overabundant? I just find the game painfully average and though its free I expected more out of a battlefield game. Also, Battlefield... third person?"
    First person would make it less cartoon feeling (A low look cartoon feel not as good looking as TF2)  
    You point and shoot I don't find anything wrong here.
    It has a Semi-RPG feel to it and switching on the fly would make less devotion to a character.
    That I have to agree with you, a easy fix for them would be to make it not time limited(All but the widgets).
    Well its free so no hate here.

Kontrapunkt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Kontrapunkt

Well i can attest to it being "free" per say, unfortunately you have left out some important information. Although the whole "free to play" thing does apply, its free to play and i stress only play. If you want anything and i mean anything on the customization front be prepared to pay full game prices for rentals, which although a total downer right now it is still just a beta and hopefully EA and DICE aren't so outrageous with pricing when the game goes public.

On your point about the demographic of the player base, EA and DICE are trying a new angle like the need for speed games the other "proper" Battlefield games are out there already if you want the whole realistic feel. The game really seems to be geared to the casual market who just want to dress up a character silly and blow things up in a squished tank. Thus you want to be able to see your character with all his cool spiffy clothes on throwing up emotes it just adds to the style and nature of the game, silly casual fun, the Peggle of Battlefields if you will.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jmrwacko

I like the third person. Makes the game feel unique, and you have a better bearing of your surroundings. Plus, the only selling point of the battlefunds is that you can buy unique costumes, so what would be the use of that if you couldn't see yourself?

I agree with not being able to change heroes ingame. I'd also like to be able to equip new missions and purchase upgrades ingame.

Nicholasotzs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Nicholasotzs
    Cloneslayer said:
    Heroes should be treated more of a RPG with classes rather than a class-based Wolfenstein.
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By FrankCanada97

Isn't discussing this slightly violating the NDA?

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By zityz

How is something being Cartoony in this franchise a Con?
    I love the style of BF heros. I'm getting a bit bored on the realistic ones for the time being.
    Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sushbag

The gunner class moves absurdly slow and really doesn't do more damage than the soldier, so 1/3 of the classes are useless but other than that it's good.

Nicholasotzs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nicholasotzs
    FrankCanada97 said:
    "Isn't discussing this slightly violating the NDA?"
    I don't think anything has been mentioned that hasn't already been mentioned.  At least anything that matters.

Shh...
    Avatar image for pissedoffthewitch
    pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

Can't go wrong with free, and they could have just slaped something together, so it's nice that they actually took their time with this game.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jmrwacko
    Sushbag said:
    "The gunner class moves absurdly slow and really doesn't do more damage than the soldier, so 1/3 of the classes are useless but other than that it's good."
    Yeah he's slow, but he has ridiculous health and an armor ability, plus he's got an RPG for taking out vehicles. The trick to being a good gunner is always fighting alongside soldiers for heals. I'd say the most useless infantry class at later levels is the commando. They're the deadliest class, but they don't really have any team synergies and they're pretty bad close quarters even with poison knife.

FrankCanada97 said:
    It's going open beta in like a month anyway. Besides, didn't they just give out like 300,000 keys? That doesn't sound closed to me.
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FrankCanada97
    jmrwacko said:
    "FrankCanada97 said:
    It's going open beta in like a month anyway. Besides, didn't they just give out like 300,000 keys? That doesn't sound closed to me."

Yeah, you're right, I better go welcome the newcomers with a lead enema.
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jmrwacko
    FrankCanada97 said:
    "jmrwacko said:
    "FrankCanada97 said:
    It's going open beta in like a month anyway. Besides, didn't they just give out like 300,000 keys? That doesn't sound closed to me."
    Yeah, you're right, I better go welcome the newcomers with a lead enema."
    I didn't know what an enema was until I looked it up on wikipedia. And now knowing what one is, I'm wholeheartedly disturbed by that comment.
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FrankCanada97
    jmrwacko said:
    "FrankCanada97 said:
    "jmrwacko said:
    "FrankCanada97 said:
    Yeah, you're right, I better go welcome the newcomers with a lead enema."
    I didn't know what an enema was until I looked it up on wikipedia. And now knowing what one is, I'm wholeheartedly disturbed by that comment."
    Well, that's where most of my shots end up when people are turned away from me.
    Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sushbag
    jmrwacko said:
     I'd say the most useless infantry class at later levels is the commando. They're the deadliest class, but they don't really have any team synergies and they're pretty bad close quarters even with poison knife.

I like the commando but you're right, the knife is terrible. I mean, with how hard it is to use a knife in a third person game where the other guy is jumping around a lot, it should be a one or two hit kill.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.