Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battle.net

Concept »

Launched by Blizzard in 1997, this service provides a solid online foundation to Blizzard's franchises such as the Diablo, StarCraft and WarCraft series. As a constantly evolving service, a new version, Battle.net 2.0, was released in 2010 with the release of Starcraft 2.

Blizzard Reverses Real ID Forum Policy

IamAwesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By IamAwesome

ONOS! You were able to find out information about a Blizzard employee! That is like sooo hard! Ahmaga! Oh my gulay!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#152  Edited By jakob187

Wait, Blizz was going to use real people's info on WoW message boards?  That's...stupid.  I mean, whatever happened to "this is a role-playing game"? 

I don't know.  Whatever.

MichaelScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#153  Edited By MichaelScott
    @marrec: If only Michael Scott was my real name. :(
    fastidious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By fastidious

They may have relented for now but I'm sure this will crop up again in the future. They'll just find a way to ease everyone into it once the community is accustomed to the new Battle.net.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#155  Edited By Symphony
    @_Horde said:

" Great. Now dicks can hide behind their usernames again. "

As opposed to dicks creating fake names in their profile. Cause you know how honest they all are when asked for their real first and last names. What, do you expect everyone to have to verify it by scanning their driver's license or some form of photo ID? Yeah, that would go over really well.

As I said -- This policy never even passed the Commonsense Test. It's really no surprise they reversed it.
    Avatar image for satelliteoflove
    SatelliteOfLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#156  Edited By SatelliteOfLove

" From what I gather..."

Then you gather poorly, Other Brad: 
    http://www.wow.com/2010/07/06/blizzards-responses-on-the-real-id-situation/#comments

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#157  Edited By VWGTI

This is probably for the best.
    marrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By marrec
    @DrRandle said:
    " It's sad to see that Megan Meier lost again. This is why I was in agreement with Real ID:  http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/686259/the_girl_who_will_change_the_internet.html  It's unfortunate that the harassment can continue and people won't have to answer for for their terrible actions and attitudes.  "
    Forcing everyday people to remove the veil of anonymity does not curb harassment or lighten attitudes, it just ensures those that would harass a way to remain anonymous while your everyday normal person is stuck with their name attached to everything they've posted on a Google indexed forum. 

No good would have come of 'Real ID'.
    MichaelScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By MichaelScott
    @SpaceInsomniac said:
    " Saying something comes from a "vocal minority" is a very poor debate tactic.  It's right up there with using "some people say" to make an outlandish claim while ducking personal responsibility, and the "slippery slope" fallacy.  Any complaint can be said to be coming from a "vocal minority" and suddenly the burden of proof is on your opponent to prove otherwise?  No, screw you, that's not how it works.  Let's try an example we should all be able to get behind.  A "vocal minority" of GameSpot users feel that Jeff Gerstmann shouldn't have been fired from GameSpot.  This would be "technically" true, because most people who use GameSpot don't even have forum accounts and never gave their opinion on the matter.  Does that suddenly mean Jeff Gerstmann SHOULD have been fired from GameSpot?  After all, everyone who complained about it was just a vocal minority. "
    Quoted for Justice
    Majkiboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Majkiboy

it is a real problem.. just face it. just because you don't understand the problem doesn't make it a smaller one. open your eyes BRAD! 

This means that there is still some hope for blizz's future. A very wise move.

Majkiboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Majkiboy
    @SamDrugbringer: there is psychos who will ruin your life without meeting you irl...
    Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#162  Edited By Detrian

Well, two things:

Real ID is still around in the actual games themselves and anyone who supports it is either a blizzard fanatic or unaware of how the internet is full of crazy people and how giving just your name exposes you to harassment, racism, trolling and even worse (if rare) situations. It is an unnecessary measure that adds nothing to the game by itself and instead limits your ability to use features you can find in any other game without them requiring you to expose yourself.

In the second topic, this article is fucking terrible. I don't want the writer being a little dipshit and dismissing people's opinion as silly, much less making fun of them and claiming they are "a vocal minority" when this has been talked around so much in a ton of places.

This reads like something you'd find in a newspaper written by someone who has no clue about videogames and should have NO place in giantbomb.

marrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By marrec
    @Detrian said:
    " Well, two things:

Real ID is still around in the actual games themselves and anyone who supports it is either a blizzard fanatic or unaware of how the internet is full of crazy people and how giving just your name exposes you to harassment, racism, trolling and even worse (if rare) situations. It is an unnecessary measure that adds nothing to the game by itself and instead limits your ability to use features you can find in any other game without them requiring you to expose yourself. In the second topic, this article is fucking terrible. I don't want the writer being a little dipshit and dismissing people's opinion as silly, much less making fun of them and claiming they are "a vocal minority" when this has been talked around so much in a ton of places.  This reads like something you'd find in a newspaper written by someone who has no clue about videogames and should have NO place in giantbomb. "
    1. Real ID inside the game is a grand idea if given the option to turn it off/Opt In Opt out. Sure, it's just like Facebook, but at least they aren't forcing you to reveal your full name in an indexed, public place. 

2. This website is full of editorials, Brad didn't even make his true opinion known. Also, calling him a little dipshit makes you look base and ignorable.
    Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Nephrahim
    @Majkiboy:  There are Psychos everywhere.  You can't let that fact that one out of every billion people are insane dictate your life. 

And again, the REAL Psychos.  Guys like the group Annonymus...  they will find out who you are.  The internet is never going to be completely safe.
    Avatar image for dancedancekennypants
    DanceDanceKennypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People have to be able to back up their words.

If you're some weirdo teenager, going onine with weird-ass innuendo, saying stuff you would never say in real life, then you are fucked in the head.

Real ID is only the beginning. The days of the "anonymous" internet are numbered.

Get used to it, freaks.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@MichaelScott said:
    " @SpaceInsomniac said:
    " Saying something comes from a "vocal minority" is a very poor debate tactic.  It's right up there with using "some people say" to make an outlandish claim while ducking personal responsibility, and the "slippery slope" fallacy.  Any complaint can be said to be coming from a "vocal minority" and suddenly the burden of proof is on your opponent to prove otherwise?  No, screw you, that's not how it works.  Let's try an example we should all be able to get behind.  A "vocal minority" of GameSpot users feel that Jeff Gerstmann shouldn't have been fired from GameSpot.  This would be "technically" true, because most people who use GameSpot don't even have forum accounts and never gave their opinion on the matter.  Does that suddenly mean Jeff Gerstmann SHOULD have been fired from GameSpot?  After all, everyone who complained about it was just a vocal minority. "
    Quoted for Justice "
    Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Detrian
    @marrec said:
    " @Detrian said:
    " Well, two things:

Real ID is still around in the actual games themselves and anyone who supports it is either a blizzard fanatic or unaware of how the internet is full of crazy people and how giving just your name exposes you to harassment, racism, trolling and even worse (if rare) situations. It is an unnecessary measure that adds nothing to the game by itself and instead limits your ability to use features you can find in any other game without them requiring you to expose yourself. In the second topic, this article is fucking terrible. I don't want the writer being a little dipshit and dismissing people's opinion as silly, much less making fun of them and claiming they are "a vocal minority" when this has been talked around so much in a ton of places.  This reads like something you'd find in a newspaper written by someone who has no clue about videogames and should have NO place in giantbomb. "
    1. Real ID inside the game is a grand idea if given the option to turn it off/Opt In Opt out. Sure, it's just like Facebook, but at least they aren't forcing you to reveal your full name in an indexed, public place.  2. This website is full of editorials, Brad didn't even make his true opinion known. Also, calling him a little dipshit makes you look base and ignorable. "
    1- How could it possibly be a "grand idea"? To accomplish what?
    2- Brad typed the article. There was no one behind him telling him what to write. Stop defending staff just because you think they are somehow untouchable/your buddies.
    Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Scrawnto
    @MajorToms:  The reason there isn't -rep is that the trolls would use it to lower the rep of decent people. Although I suppose they could weight the effect of the buttons based on the rep of the person pressing them.
    snakeeyes327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By snakeeyes327

Man, I am really disappointed that Blizzard buckled. I think having to put up your real name on the forums would've been great. Most trolls don't have the balls to back shit up, so having to put up your real identity would've been great to combat that. Kind of wish the Whiskey Media sites would do that.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Scrawnto
    @MAST: They find the phone numbers, photos, etc. using the name. They are trying to illustrate the repercussions. Things don't always stop at a name.
    kerikxi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#171  Edited By kerikxi

I was among the small group of people somewhat excited for this change. I can see and understand the objections, but accountability is something the internet truly lacks. What is needed is a way to be held to account, on record, without compromising privacy. Anything put in a public place should be public property.

But, I guess I get this mindset coming from a very, very small town in a very small province. There aren't even six degrees of seperation here, and my attitude is I don't say anything I don't want on the front page of the local paper.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#172  Edited By Kyle

As proven by their actions, the only people that would have to worry about having their real name listed next to their forum posts are the kind of people who are big enough dirt bags to be the ones hunting down peoples personal information.

Kyle Thomas Churchill, motherfuckers.

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Detrian
    @SnakeEyes327 said:

" Man, I am really disappointed that Blizzard buckled. I think having to put up your real name on the forums would've been great. Most trolls don't have the balls to back shit up, so having to put up your real identity would've been great to combat that. Kind of wish the Whiskey Media sites would do that. "

You do realize that people like that would instead turn to stalk people online and harass them, right?

@Kyle said:

" As proven by their actions, the only people that would have to worry about having their real name listed next to their forum posts are the kind of people who are big enough dirt bags to be the ones hunting down peoples personal information.  Kyle Thomas Churchill, motherfuckers. "

How about women, kids and people around the world who don't have super patriotic names like yours and would get targeted by scumbags?
    MajorToms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#174  Edited By MajorToms
    @Scrawnto:  Yeah, that make sense.  I like the idea of a weighted system. That's sort of touching back on a karma type system.  

Basically, if you have good karma and you give someone a +rep it gets put into a tier 3 +rep category. If you're hovering around an average karma, like a new user, and you +rep it goes into a tier 2 +rep category. And if you're below the average, and you +rep, it gets put into the tier 1 category. Same applies for -rep. Figuring out your standing depends on the averages of all the users.

I understand this would be a lot to show the boards on a per post basis, so you would also need a karma total for both good and bad. What this would do is add up tier 1, 2 & 3 for good karma and throw that under your name when you post. Same with bad karma.

This would eventually make all trolls powerless on forums, especially if all users embrace the system.

Steam's forums already limit you to one +rep a day, which is good, because you save it for a time when you read either something truly amazing, hilarious, or both. Limiting a -rep in the same way could work. I mean, a troll can only do it once a day, so chances are they won't get very far in bringing down the house.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#175  Edited By ajamafalous

I can't even begin to say how offputting the way you wrote this article is, Brad.

JoshLarson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By JoshLarson

"From what I gather... A vocal minority didn't like this idea. " 

Way to swallow the corporate Activision Blizzard kool-aid Brad. They have been spreading this false idea of a "vocal minority" that doesn't like them or their recent policies and that is just totally false. Much closer to a vocal majority.  But I have to hand it to them, it sure has convinced guillable people like Mr. Nicholson to parrot on Giant Bomb whatever buzzword PR spin Activision Blizzard chooses to spout out. Free and unfiltered Activision Blizzard propoganda always has a home here from at least one paid member of the Giant Bomb staff. Guess that campaign of reforming Activision's image is working out (at least in some quarters).  

"So, you can stop posting Blizzard developers' phone numbers, pictures, and other freaky information, jerks." 

Funny how this new flip-flop change of direction comes right after Activision Blizzard employees are subjected to the kind of scrutiny that forum users were afraid of. Those "jerks" that Mr. Nicholson calls them, accomplished more in one day than a week of the so called "vocal minority" forcasting exactly what would probably happen. And what did happen was far, far from a worst case scenario. Thankfully with Activision Blizzard's total 180 we won't ever see what the worst case scenario could be.
    MajorToms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By MajorToms

I feel I have to address something here, because some people are just plain crazy/angry at Brad Nicholson. Ever since he's been associated with Giant Bomb I read 10+ times in every single article he writes. "wow, what an awful article", "Man, Giantbombs getting shittier", or "wow, way to steal images from another site". Stupid shit like this really irks me.  

Let's face the facts. Brad Nicholson haters all have hard-ons for Jeff, Ryan, Vinny, Brad Shoemaker, Dave and Drew. Just because Brad Nicholson doesn't appear in the videos on the site, people don't know his personality, his figures of speech, the way he forms expressions, etc.. and for some odd reason he gets bashed with every article he writes because of it. Now, I might be in the minority in defending him, but I have to point this out because I know I'm not wrong here.

Brad Nicholson is a video game journalist and his name gets published with everything he writes. You don't understand what that's like because you hide behind your user name. When ever he writes something people know exactly who he is. Well... except for Giant Bomb's apparent majority. (I'm not literally implying that a majority of Giant Bomb's users hate Brad, just making a point.)

TRY to understand HIS point of view on this. He probably doesn't have the sense of insecurity that we all have when it comes to our name being publicly broadcast to everyone else. Therefore, he doesn't see the amount of people getting angry with the whole thing as a majority. Maybe because he is of a different mind set than us. 

The only reason I don't see Matt getting bashed when he writes is because he was a user on Giant Bomb before he became an intern, and he appears in some videos.  I don't know if you all understand how much harder it is to reply to a thread in which you've been successively bashed in, without letting it affect your emotions. 

I've seen it hundreds of times, nay thousands. 
    Threads usually start off peaceful and eventually turn into a rage filled page of ridiculousness. It's fucking stupid. Everyone's a culprit for this is the awful ways of the internet. There are times I say something and get insulted and I will probably be insulted for writing this. 

All I'm really getting at is, why Brad Nicholson? NOBODY EVER TALKS SHIT ABOUT THE REST OF THE STAFF. Get a grip folks, he works here too.

tl;dr: Don't come on forums if you're not going to read. Also don't bash Brad because he's doing a good job.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#178  Edited By MeatSim

Trolls where still gonna be trolls unless you started listing home addresses which obviously isn't happening.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#179  Edited By StarFoxA

Is it just me, or did this change seem awesome? People could use some accountability, and maybe it would keep trolls from repeatedly coming back after being banned.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By AuthenticM
    @SamDrugbringer: Exactly. Activision should've stood its ground.
    Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Bionicicide

Shane from today's episode of Invisible Walls gave a convincing pro-Real ID argument.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By Nephrahim
    @DanceDanceKennypants said:
    " People have to be able to back up their words.  If you're some weirdo teenager, going onine with weird-ass innuendo, saying stuff you would never say in real life, then you are fucked in the head.  Real ID is only the beginning. The days of the "anonymous" internet are numbered.  Get used to it, freaks. "
    Truer words. 

There is no right to privacy on the internet.  When you say something in person, you are held accountable for it.  There's no reason the Internet needs it's own set of rules.  Behave like human beings, and nobody will have any problems.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#183  Edited By Brendan

Hello everyone, my name's Brendan, and that also happens to be my user name.
    MichaelScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By MichaelScott
    @MajorToms:  What you're saying may be true for other articles (I don't usually read comments too often), but I'm pretty damn sure no matter who attached their name to this article be it Jeff, Ryan, Brad(S) , Vinny, or even Rich Gallop, the reaction (including mine) would have been the same. Brad not having the same insecurities about his name being out there on the internet is all fine and good, but that's no reason to assume everyone should be just as carefree about his name being out there as he is.  

That's really the main problem with the article. He's alienating much of the the GB community who think that Real ID was a bad idea by dismissing the people who opposed as being nothing but trolls and jerks who look up people's personal information on the internet just for the lulz (when in fact it was done to prove a point, and it was the best and only way to prove said point in a way that Blizzard might care about). I definitely don't approve of calling and visiting the poor Blizzard employee who put his name out there, but you can't say that stuff caught anyone by surprise. The guy was kind of asking for it after putting his name out there (which is why I have doubts it was even his real name). 

Meh, whatever. This bullshit will just come up again in 6months when they implement it for realsies. 
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#185  Edited By mutha3
    Wow. Some of you people are so goddamn naive. 

And that's coming from a certifiable optimist.

@DanceDanceKennypants said:
    " People have to be able to back up their words.  If you're some weirdo teenager, going onine with weird-ass innuendo, saying stuff you would never say in real life, then you are fucked in the head.  Real ID is only the beginning. The days of the "anonymous" internet are numbered.  Get used to it, freaks. "
    Uh, no they aren't.
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By shiftymagician
    @I_love_Eva_Braun said:

" I was waiting for a chance to post this  

"
    Fantastic.  Just Fantastic.

Also on topic: The in-game realID stuff isn't so bad, as that is supposedly enabled by you and you can decide which friends in your friends list can see your name in full.  If I'm wrong of what I read on it, please reply back.

Also Brad Nicholson, please exercise the use of saying that certain things are your opinion more clearly, and do not accidentally mask it in words that try to make it seem more like fact when it is not.  Never before have I seen so much backlash over something Blizzard has done, with literally thousands of responses entered in the Wow forums alone, and relatively it isn't a concern of a minority at all.  Also just say if you do not think it was a big deal in the first place, at least explain your stance so we can all agree to disagree at the very least.

I would expect Jeff Gerstmann to also like the idea of realID's, as he did show positive signs to ideas revolving user accountability.  I really want to hear what he and the rest of the Giant Bomb team think of this matter, though in the end their opinions may be trivial, as they already have their names out there and are not your average user anyway.

There will always be a need for anonymity in the world.  If you don't know why, do some more exploration in the internet and see how it can be used for good, and not merely for trolling in forums or getting away with offensive messages.
    Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Nephrahim
    @Tarsier said:
    " here are some points for people who think that this real ID was a good idea...   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBwTpHNZDpQ         http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJq1Al37N5A&feature=channel "
    How can you ask me to watch a video that doesn't contain a box of kittens?!  Madness! 

Seriously though, I know Husky makes good points, but I'm not changing my stance that easily here.  Yes, people can do bad things with your name, but if everyone knew everyone else's, it wouldn't be a big deal. 

I give out my name to everyone I meet at my job, and I haven't got any stalkers yet.
    Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Buscemi

Personally, I don't think that the service was enough. I would've liked to see everybody's family tree's too. What blood types they have and what diseases they've been carrying in their filthy blood. Oh, I'm sorry, that was totally a Harry Potter-mudblood-Malfoy-moment.

sgirl90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By sgirl90
    As a female WoW player I was completely appalled at the idea of real-id I hardly admit to being a girl in game very often, and most of the time don't want that information relayed, I didn't mind Real-id so much when I could choose who saw it, but for all you who didn't know, so you make the decision not to use the forums anymore, I can understand that the forums are full of idiots and wanna be super troll internet heroes, I can understand the desire to cut that out, but get this.  IF YOUR FRIENDS DECIDED...fuck it who cares if they know my real name, I don't! Well, those "Lurkers" on the forums now can see not only your friends first and last name but yours and all your friends other friends. hahaha gotta love that. by the way brad, I'm not slamming you in anyway just giving feed back and my opinion on it, the reason the internet should remain anynomous is not because I feel people shouldn't be accountable, but because, you choose who you talk to and associate in person, but the internet is full of people, lots of people, some you don't even know are watching.
    Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#192  Edited By Baal_Sagoth
    @sithy said:

" A vocal minority didn't like it? That means a silent majority liked it? Thats one of the stupidest thing I've ever heard. "

This. 
    WTF is that supposed to even mean?!? Already fucking sick of game developers/ puiblishers using the "vocal minority"-scapegoat. If it's that irrelevant then just ignore the minority - it's what everyone else does ;)
    Man, I don't get into the style of these news items at all: this one especially just apes the corporate message and I can get that from Blizzard - why would I need this uninformative and judgemental text?
    Thusian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By Thusian

I think Penny-Arcade summed it up pretty well along with the link in the news post.  Yes in some cases it would increase accountability, but in others people would see themselves as the hammer of justice and go way too far.  On top of that what if they do harass the wrong person?  That does not prove that there is no danger in this policy it is just another scary problem.  

Can' Blizzard use those real names behind the scenes to enforce accountability.  Have better moderation tied to in game penalties.  Seeing as you use your account to post.  Be a big enough jerk loose a few days.  How about all of your characters show up when you post so you can't hide behind a mule?  See the internet itself has a privacy problem and when you combine how poorly Facebook handles your privacy (pretty much open to the world until you dial it down) with a reason for people to google your name(you pissed them off in a forum) you get a dangerous situation.

Also to all of you posting personal information to prove a point: Two things:

1. Posting your own in this situation is asking for trouble I suggest you don't.
    2. You would not advocate for better gun control by shooting people don't breach peoples PI to prove it can happen.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By Andorski

Anonymity is the root cause of everything that is bad about the internet.  Ashamed about doing something online to the point where you don't want people to know it was you?  Maybe you should not fucking do it anymore.

That's my two cents.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#195  Edited By Jayzilla

all the people that would have these REAL id's also have facebook right? what's the big deal? I think real id should be implemented in every MMO. It would cut down a ton on gold sellers, bot programs, and account fraud. Oh wait, no it wouldn't. But it would be funny hearing about the first time someone bought a plane ticket to attack a dude that scammed him in a game.

SonicBoyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By SonicBoyster
    @sithy said:
    " A vocal minority didn't like it? That means a silent majority liked it? Thats one of the stupidest thing I've ever heard. "

This.  This is a bullshit analysis, Nicholson, don't push your personal politics on us in your news 'updates.'
    Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By Nephrahim
    @Thusian: Yeah, seriously guys, don't post your personal information.  I know you're arguing it won't come back to harm you (And it most likely won't) but it's just asking for trouble. 
    Collater333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Collater333

@Gaff said:
    " @MichaelScott said:
    " @atomic_dumpling said:
    " There was an uglier side to the rabble, as documented by VG247 and Kotaku. Some users began throwing out personal details of Blizzard employees, phone numbers and the like, in a sorry attempt to prove a point.    
     I strongly disagree with the implication that this was some sort of sorry perverted vendetta. You know, I could just as easily check up on a certain Brad Nicholson. I bet you would be thrilled to read every detail of your private life. "
    Seriously. Also, the "vocal minority" part smells like bullshit. I have a hard time believing that anyone thought RealID was truly a great idea.  "
    I have a sneaking suspicion that of the 12 million subscribers a relatively small portion has seen the forums, a smaller portion has posted on the forums, and a smaller portion has an opinion on that. "
    Well, no matter how you try to spin it, that's still your opinion.   I also have a "sneaking suspicion" that most people would probably be against it for the most part, but would still post on the site.

This is definitely one of the most poorly written articles I have ever seen.  He inserted his own opinion (sneakily I might add) into an otherwise straight news story (or gaming news story).  He could have easily just said "in my opinion, I think it was a few people speaking out" or something like that not "a vocal minority didn't like this story" especially without having any substance to back that claim up.  

I personally don't care, because I don't post on Blizzard forums.  I am for privacy though, but it is their site, they do have a right to implement something like this, just was we have a right not to participate and boycott them and tell others not to partake.   That being said, I would still vote against an idea.  
    I think some peoples' reaction to this has been immature though.  I also think some people who are for the idea, speaking up now, are acting no better than the immature people who were against the idea.  You can actually say that the people who are now apparently for the idea, and speaking up now, are the vocal minority, but that's just my opinion ;).
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By JoelTGM

I thought it was a good idea.  I already use my real name as a display name for everything, except GB, they don't let you change a username here unfortunately.  I don't see what the big deal was about displaying our proper names on the forum.  Then you wouldn't get all the trolls posting crap under anonymous names. 

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By JoelTGM

and nice to see some of you still whining about Brad Nicholson as usual.  Every article he writes sux, o noes.  The GB staff hired him for a reason, and he's just doing his job.  Stop being babies whining about some freaking video game news articles.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.